Favre says 2009 best season ever

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read what I said I said he had a good year stats wise, and the point I was making is that winning a SB normally is the best year of your career. I bet if you asked Peyton what the best year he ever had he would say 06, the year he won a ring, not 04 the year he threw 49 TDs. Stats wise Eli had the best year of his career last year, but I dont think he is going around saying it was his best.

Greatness in QBs in the NFL is measured by SBs. Unless your a Viking or Marino fan.
Agreed.

If you play poorly, then it's one thing.

But if you play well and win the SB, 99% of the players will say it's a better year than when you play extremely well and don't win nothing...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read what I said I said he had a good year stats wise, and the point I was making is that winning a SB normally is the best year of your career. I bet if you asked Peyton what the best year he ever had he would say 06, the year he won a ring, not 04 the year he threw 49 TDs. Stats wise Eli had the best year of his career last year, but I dont think he is going around saying it was his best.

Greatness in QBs in the NFL is measured by SBs. Unless you're a Viking or Marino fan.
We have a BINGO !

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is it right for players to fake retirement so they can switch to a better team and have a better chance to win a SB?

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is just a grudge holding ****** bag. He just says stuff like this to **** off GB and their fans. I can't believe that any true GB fan would still bow to this attention starved ego maniac.

I remember when Favre made the comment that his team last year was the best team he has ever played on, to include the Packers last SB winning team. A few of his old teamates pretty much laughed at his statement.

He is going to come back and we are going to sweep the Vikings.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greatness in QBs in the NFL is measured by SBs. Unless your a Viking or Marino fan.

You forgot about Jim Kelly

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is it right for players to fake retirement so they can switch to a better team and have a better chance to win a SB?

No it isn't right. Favre played the retirement card to a tee to get out of Dodge (He played that card to perfection again after his season in NY. The Jets gave him what TT would not = his unconditional release). But did the queens have a better chance to win the SB in 08 than the Packers did had #4 played in GB for one more season? In 07 MN was 8-8 while we were 13-3. No, Favre wanted OUT of GB. There can be no other plausable explaination why he "retired" just weeks after playing in the conference championship game.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No it isn't right. Favre played the retirement card to a tee to get out of Dodge (He played that card to perfection again after his season in NY. The Jets gave him what TT would not = his unconditional release). But did the queens have a better chance to win the SB in 08 than the Packers did had #4 played in GB for one more season? In 07 MN was 8-8 while we were 13-3. No, Favre wanted OUT of GB. There can be no other plausable explaination why he "retired" just weeks after playing in the conference championship game.

Yup that's right on the money. Now let's also consider that the Jets trade didn't happen. If Favre played for us in the '08 season, then it would've been us left to deal with his 22 INTs and not the Jets. We went 6-10 that season, imagine how much worse our record would've gone down the drain with Brett under center. Can you say "with the 3rd overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft....."

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot about Jim Kelly

I dont know the cut off for good to great. I like Jim to some extent. Would I ever list him in the top 10? No. He is in a unique situation with going to 4 straight SBs but not playing well in any of them, 2 TDs and 7 INTs. Maybe I am too ******* him as he was brilliant his rookie year in the USFL with 5219 yards and 44 TDs, and his impact on the NFL with a successful use of the no huddle offense. I think he would rank about 20th for me as far as QBs go all time.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Tarkenton, to a lesser extent...

Fran is a tough call. Retired as the all time leader in most statistical categories I believe. But very similar SB outcomes as Kelly. 1 TD and 6 INTs in the 3 SBs. I rank Fran ahead of Kelly at about 12 to 15, with alot of that going towards his skills with his feet. I think a strong argument could be made for him being better than Marino.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I laugh when he talks like this. I'm sure this endears him big time to the guys he played with in those 2 Super Bowl years in the mid 90's. The old man must be getting senile. :grin:

Favre makes these types of statements because he is promoting the Brett Favre brand. He is laughing all the way to the bank. The fact that a Packer forum is debating these types of statements and they get written up in the paper all give the old man more exposure and higher value for his brand. Think Wranglers and Sears. He is NOT senile - he is dumb like a fox.

His FOOTBALL LEGACY will be his longevity, his gawdy stats, and his penchant for throwing interceptions at the most critical times. His BRAND is the charming country boy who loves to play and can never make up his mind.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre makes these types of statements because he is promoting the Brett Favre brand. He is laughing all the way to the bank. The fact that a Packer forum is debating these types of statements and they get written up in the paper all give the old man more exposure and higher value for his brand. Think Wranglers and Sears. He is NOT senile - he is dumb like a fox.

His FOOTBALL LEGACY will be his longevity, his gawdy stats, and his penchant for throwing interceptions at the most critical times. His BRAND is the charming country boy who loves to play and can never make up his mind.

Yes, I realize he is dumb like a fox. I was just making a joke about his age. He has so many people hoodwinked. You are right, he presents himself as this country bumpkin when in reality he is a shred guy always looking out for #1.

:viksux:

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Man I can't wait for peyton manning to blow all of brett favre's stats out of the water. Except interceptions ofcourse, no one will ever touch brett's interception mark. EVER

chantheman08

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A GOOD year?? Try an excellent year!! You have good points, but all of this really comes down to how Favre interpreted it, which we will never know. If he meant it in terms of his statistics and how he played, then like I said, last year was his best. But if he meant it in terms of the teams success and the overall result, then his 96 season was his best... if he meant it in which season he had the most fun playing in, it could be another season, and if he meant it as which season was his most memorable, it could even be another year. The point is, the word "Best" is so vague and can have more than one meaning. Unless we know how Favre meant it, we basically are all right. All I was saying is he did have his best season statistically, I am not saying it was his best season. I am jus upset because people is getting mad and making a big deal about what he said when in some aspects he was absolutely correct. People need to stop overanalyzing every statment that is made by athletes!

chantheman08

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup that's right on the money. Now let's also consider that the Jets trade didn't happen. If Favre played for us in the '08 season, then it would've been us left to deal with his 22 INTs and not the Jets. We went 6-10 that season, imagine how much worse our record would've gone down the drain with Brett under center. Can you say "with the 3rd overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft....."

You are acting like nobody knew about Favre's INT problem. He has always been a high risk- high reward type of passer. Without his 'chance taking' passing style, we would not have some of the greatest plays/games ever... the 'He Did What' reception by Freeman would have never happened if Favre was a conservative passer, nor would the last second TD pass vs the 49ers last season by Favre or the Oakland game after his father passed away (some of them passes to Walker were jus thrown up and Walker went and got em). Most of Favre's career he has had many INTs, yet in only one season has he had a losing record. So how can you say the packers season would have been doomed if Favre came back again

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are acting like nobody knew about Favre's INT problem. He has always been a high risk- high reward type of passer. Without his 'chance taking' passing style, we would not have some of the greatest plays/games ever... the 'He Did What' reception by Freeman would have never happened if Favre was a conservative passer, nor would the last second TD pass vs the 49ers last season by Favre or the Oakland game after his father passed away (some of them passes to Walker were jus thrown up and Walker went and got em). Most of Favre's career he has had many INTs, yet in only one season has he had a losing record. So how can you say the packers season would have been doomed if Favre came back again

All the risky passes that you mentioned all happened when Favre was at full strength. By midseason of '08 Favre had an undisclosed shoulder injury which I truly believe was behind all of those INTs that he started throwing. "Mangenius" wanted to let Favre sit down for a game or 2 to evaluate his arm w/o the presses suspecting anything serious. However we all know Favre's ego, the guy would not want to sit out for any game, even if he knew he was hurt and it would jeapordize the team's playoff chances. Even when you take a look at last season when Childress wanted to sit Favre out for the 2nd quarter at the risk of not exposing him to any serious injury, Favre refused to back down. Although Favre suffered no serious injury, he still ran the risk of obtaining one which could have hurt his team. That is how I know the Packers season would have been doomed if he came back to us.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
, he presents himself as this country bumpkin when in reality he is a shred guy always looking out for #1.

:viksux:

I have heard that from people very close to him too and they always include Bus Cook in that statement

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate Farve now, and more talk about him just makes me want to see Raji or Cullen or Matthews seperate that guy's shoulder or ribs even more.

Did I tell any of you guys that last summer, BEFORE that bast*rd's season started with the Vikings and he surprised everyone with his magical year, that I actually had a dream of us playing against him and the Vikings? It was really a nightmare as all I could remember was him going back to pass over and over and us never ever once sacking him, and he carved us up. I was getting so pissed in my dream! I rarely dream, but for that one to occur, you know A) I hate the Vikings, B) I was worried, C) I need to get more of a life?

But the main point is A), so last year to me was a total failure. Getting swept by that c***sucker to me is as bad as it gets.
I'd have rather gone 2-14 last year, and swept them, and not lost the wildcard heartbreaker, and then gotten Suh or Eric Berry.

But that's just me.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate Farve now, and more talk about him just makes me want to see Raji or Cullen or Matthews seperate that guy's shoulder or ribs even more.

Did I tell any of you guys that last summer, BEFORE that bast*rd's season started with the Vikings and he surprised everyone with his magical year, that I actually had a dream of us playing against him and the Vikings? It was really a nightmare as all I could remember was him going back to pass over and over and us never ever once sacking him, and he carved us up. I was getting so pissed in my dream! I rarely dream, but for that one to occur, you know A) I hate the Vikings, B) I was worried, C) I need to get more of a life?

But the main point is A), so last year to me was a total failure. Getting swept by that c***sucker to me is as bad as it gets.
I'd have rather gone 2-14 last year, and swept them, and not lost the wildcard heartbreaker, and then gotten Suh or Eric Berry.

But that's just me.
No way. No way I could stand a 2-14 season...
6-10 was like swimming in a pile of sh*t to me, can you imagine enduring 14 weeks of losses???

I understand, winning it all is the only priority. Everything else has to be considered failure by packer fans.

But I can't stand even losing the coin flip...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I agree the 6-10 season sucked, especially since we could easily have won 5 of those games without asking for much.

But a bad season like a 2-14, as embarassing as it would be, at least you won't have your heart broken and get all stressed out again in January.

But to beat the Vikings twice for me is the next best thing to winning a Super Bowl.

If we don't win the Super Bowl, in other words, my next wish would be to sweep the Grape Apes.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I agree the 6-10 season sucked, especially since we could easily have won 5 of those games without asking for much.

But a bad season like a 2-14, as embarassing as it would be, at least you won't have your heart broken and get all stressed out again in January.

But to beat the Vikings twice for me is the next best thing to winning a Super Bowl.

If we don't win the Super Bowl, in other words, my next wish would be to sweep the Grape Apes.
But with a 2-14 season, usually you know it'll take quite a while for your team to start winning.

As devastated as it was for us to lose the way we did, we know there's a lot to like about this team, and that the future seems bright...

Members online

Latest posts