Favre rethinking retirement

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, this isn't an April Fool's joke.

Let me preface this though by saying it's a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.

No, not as a Packer, but another team. I predicted he comes back in '09 to an AFC team because he knows he has 2 to 3 good years left in him, so I imagine he's torn between being burned out and wanting to still play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...2bYF?slug=txfavreretirement&prov=st&type=lgns

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think he's too proud to change his decision. he may change his mind, but his decision will stay the same. so... ain't gonna happen.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I'll take MM and Brett word for it, before I take someone guessing because Brett hasn't turned in his paperwork yet.

IMO, he might rethink it, but why would he go anywhere else but Green Bay, really? We are young and improving, we have as good a chance as anyone in the league.. yes even the Patzies.. that defense has grown old and stripped of parts the last couple of years.

I might buy into a slight beef with Favre and TT,maybe, but I think MM and Favre's relationship is rock solid.. IMO.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=735005

Palm Beach, Fla. - Quarterback Brett Favre has retired, but he's not completely out of pocket.

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he talked to Favre a couple times last week and the quarterback seems to be doing fine. He said the issue of Favre turning in his retirement papers came up.

"I talked to Brett the other day," McCarthy said Wednesday during an NFC coaches media breakfast at the NFL owners meetings. "He even made a joke about it, 'Do you guys need that cap room?' I said, 'I think we're OK.' He goes, 'I have to file those papers.' And I said, 'Yeah, but it's not really for time. I don't know what the severance pay is, but hell, after 17 years I think you'd have a pretty good nugget coming.'

"So, we kind of laughed about it."

McCarthy said Favre went to Disneyworld last week and has been doing things with his family. Work on his property in Hattiesburg, Miss., consumes most of his time.

McCarthy admitted things are different around Green Bay without Favre.

"It's going to be different for a lot of people," he said. "Just when you walk through the locker room, you have this locker standing there and you're kind of laughing about it, like 'What are you going to do with it?' You can't put anybody in it. So there's definitely going to be an absence."

McCarthy said that no one will be getting Favre's locker any time soon.

"I don't think so," he said. "Would you want that locker? You've got to be kidding me."

Asked if Favre's nameplate would remain above the locker, McCarthy said, "I don't know. We're talking about a couple things. It's still up there now."

As for any chance Favre would change his mind, McCarthy said no way.

"I think he'll feel it about September when opening day starts," McCarthy said. "That's when you have to worry about it. For 17 years in a row, his fall has always been around football. (But) he's content with his decision."

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh. Disneyworld. Great place to go to get away. No one will recognize him there.

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was a total crock, but it's the headline story on Yahoo news. I still don't believe it's gonna happen though...it's one of those "according to an unnamed NFL source" deals. Bus Cook categorically denies it. TM

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait how can teams talk to Brett when he is still under contract as a Packer, he has yet to OFFICALLY retire (no papers yet). This is tampering...they are prohibited from aquiring him and also must trade their picks with us and forefit another pick.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Wait how can teams talk to Brett when he is still under contract as a Packer, he has yet to OFFICALLY retire (no papers yet). This is tampering...they are prohibited from aquiring him and also must trade their picks with us and forefit another pick.

Don't think in logical terms, that only ruins a good hypothesis on a writers part...

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first who the hell is he gonna play for that has a better shot at the super bowl than us

secondly whos gonna pay him more money than us.

thirdly, the what ifs are so much bigger at every other location that not one single part of this rumor makes any sense.

never gonna happen. Favre retired a Packer. It is over.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umair said:
its not going to be the same if he goes to another team.

It would certainly be a cold slap in the face to all of us if he did.
Thats how i would feel.
He said he's done. If he had said he still WANTED to play, and wanted to try with a different team, that i could handle.
It wouldn't make sense to leave here, with 11 million dollars and a GREAT team, to start fresh with some other team. He would have to learn a whole new system, and new players. He KNOWS what Driver, Jennings, and the rest of the guys will do in any given situation. His best chance to win NOW would have been here.
I think this whole thing is a made up rumor, just to stir up (you know what).
JMO
(My wife thinks it's a load too)

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mort said on ESPN that retirement papers don't mean squat they are just for severns pay which he doesn't need. If he does file the papers he can file to come back and play just as easy. If he doesn't file and is still on the salary cap the Packers can place him on the reserve/retire list.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umair said:
its not going to be the same if he goes to another team.

It would certainly be a cold slap in the face to all of us if he did.

Why on earth would it be "A Cold Slap In The Face?"

What more do wee all want from him, other than to "Thank Him" and say; "Do what ever makes you happy. You earned it Brett."

No one knows if he felt he was pushed out? No one knows if at his age he just said; "Man that game in Chicago, and the NFC Championship Game killed me. I just can not take the cold any longer, I still want to play the game, and I would love to finish my career in Tampa Bay."

No one knows. But if he chooses to play two more years closer to home, and in a warm weather city, why would anyone consider it a slap in the face?

He earned that opportunity to end his career the way he damn well wants to end it. It will take nothing away from what he did on the field for the Packers for the last 16 years.

Just my thoughts. Nothing personal. I was not pointing you out persoanally. I am just making a point about that sort of thinking by many Packer Fans.

R.P.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just take people at their word.......he said he doesn't want to play anymore. I would take that to mean anywhere.
If he felt pushed out here, i bet he would have said so. He's never been one to hold back what he really thinks.
I don't think i'd take it as a slap, but i sure would wonder why, if that was what he meant at his press conference, did he say no one pushed him out? That he just has no desire to play?
I mean, if he DOES play else where, i wouldn't hate him. But if we played against the team he was on, i'd want the Packers to beat his team.
I'm a Packer fan first.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre said he's done. He's not a liar.

A few years ago I said I was done drinking. Crown Royal was not doing it for me any more.

I was telling the truth. I was done.

Now I am drinking Vodka and will have a bottle of Grey Goose beside my lap top during the Draft Day Tromdaz Lounge.

Brett and I are both telling the truth. We were both done. We are not liars.

Saying one is "done" has many meanings.

Members online