Eliot Wolf / John Dorsey GM threads?/ Browns - Steelers fight

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charles Woodson.... Brett Favre... pretty large examples. There are many that point the opposite direction too... AJ Hawk comes to mind.

Cullen Jenkins, Josh Sitton Marco Rivera, Mark Wahle and Greg Jennings among others.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Gutekunst is also interviewing.

He's the Packers head of college scouting, by the way, but I don't see anyone concerned about him leaving.

If Elliott's last name wasn't Wolf, there wouldn't be much discussion about him possibly leaving.

It reminds of when fans wanted Joe Lombardi as the offensive coordinator, but he was fired from the Lions quickly.

We have no idea how Elliot would be as a GM. Whatever happens with Wolf and TT will take a few years to judge accurately.

While this is true and none of us know how Wolf would do as the new GM. It seams to me that the Packers have been grooming him to be Teds replacement at GM for a number of years. If this is true letting him get away would be a mistake. Especially given the success some of the other front office guys we let get away have enjoyed. (Seattle, KC & Oakland)

I'm hoping Ted steps aside IF Wolf is being seriously considered by ANY other team. Ted can stay around and scout till he's 100 if he wants but don't let another talented young guy get away!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While this is true and none of us know how Wolf would do as the new GM. It seams to me that the Packers have been grooming him to be Teds replacement at GM for a number of years. If this is true letting him get away would be a mistake. Especially given the success some of the other front office guys we let get away have enjoyed. (Seattle, KC & Oakland)

I'm hoping Ted steps aside IF Wolf is being seriously considered by ANY other team. Ted can stay around and scout till he's 100 if he wants but don't let another talented young guy get away!

They might give Ted a "promotion" of sorts, perhaps President of such and such or Vice President of this and that. Give him a nice paycheck and something to do for a few years. That way if Elliot turns out to be a dud you can use Ted to mitigate some of his struggles.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

They might give Ted a "promotion" of sorts, perhaps President of such and such or Vice President of this and that. Give him a nice paycheck and something to do for a few years. That way if Elliot turns out to be a dud you can use Ted to mitigate some of his struggles.

Hahaha.....I just noticed your signature :laugh:

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson needs to look at it this way: He's only got a year or two left before retirement anyways. If he keeps the job, Wolf gets away, we are screwd in a year or two. Do the right thing Ted. Wolf is the future.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He does it... Sitton will be another.

Just look at any older vet he let go, and most likely he let go one year earlier
Correct me if I'm wrong but other than Sitton weren't all of those guys contracts up? And other than sitton were any of them his guys?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but other than Sitton weren't all of those guys contracts up? And other than sitton were any of them his guys?

What does it matter on contract? Either a guy is worthy of another year or not.

You an try to sign a guy for a year, Ahem... Cook..

But it's known Ted does get rid of guys a year early.

You can Google his guys or not his guys.. At some point when he became Gm, they were not his guys

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd give TT the title of GM - Draft and Wolf the title of GM - Free Agency. Not a job TT is doing anyways so, you can keep both. :D

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'm not hoping that Ted steps aside, I do recognize that he's professed his love for scouting and often professes his distaste for the public side of being a GM. If he is close to considering retirement and another team gives Wolf a good offer, I would consider having Ted step to the side as head scout or an advisory role as a good solution. I do not think that TT should be promoted to president or other. Any young GM would struggle with the weight of their predecessor hovering over their shoulders.

With all of that said, I have always been a fan of Thompson. I would like him to utilize FA more in-season, but his virtues far outweigh his flaws IMO. People on here talk about his retirement as some kind of fact. While Thompson has made multiple statements about his prior health problem and love of his family in Texas, he seems to have the drive and desire to keep being involved for a long time. My Vikings friends and Lions friends are all jealous right now, talking about how their teams played above the level of their personnel while the Packers always had the horses in the stable....and continue to have them year after year. Thompson puts enough food in the fridge to make it to the playoffs and SB most years. It comes down to injuries, coaching, and will of the players to take it from there.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf is only 34 or 35 years old. That's amazing. He's got to feel like he's the likely successor to Ted. To me, if I'm a 35 year old man wanting to run a team, I'm more than willing to wait a year or two to be GM of the team that my dad revived. But I will never be in that position, so I can't really guess what all goes into his considerations.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree. We can't begin to comprehend the egos involved here. However, if I were that young I would want to milk my time in the NFL as long as possible, soak up as much knowledge as possible, and delay becoming a GM until the perfect position opened up. You don't have to screw up for very long to be a 38 year old has-been GM that nobody wants anymore because you so monumentally screwed up a team. I'm not saying that he will or that he should play scared, but he's got a lot of time in front of him if he plays it cool.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jennings was one of his guys and he let him walk, he also let James Jones walk twice. Ted has only just started to see his original players start to age out and for the last couple of years he's been parting with them as well. You think he hasn't drafted the replacements for Lang and Bulaga? Truth, TT has been pretty good at knowing when to let guys go. Most the players that he allowed to walk in FA were done and just didn't know it yet with the exception of Darren ***** and perhaps Cullen Jenkins. He probably should have held onto a Woodson to try him at safety but oh well.

Signing oft injured 30 year olds to big contracts is not a winning strategy.

Edit: btw Teddy did extend some of the vets that he inherited from Sherman, this includes Driver Tauscher Clifton and Jenkins.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still pissed at Jenkins not being resigned

Jenkins was an underperformer on his last contract up until his contract year, before that the guy could never stay healthy and some questioned his work ethic. He would have helped our defense out big time in 11 and 12 but by 13 we didn't have space for him anymore with the ascendance of Daniels.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron Wolf is long retired and Ted Thompson is quickly approaching his own retirement date. To me, the guy who replaces Ted Thompson is the only person that really matters. I could not care less if his name is Wolf or whatever. Can that person continue to add to the winning tradition of this team? That's the guy I want to see chosen as the next GM.

If it's true that an apple doesn't fall far from the tree then Elliott Wolf may be a sound choice in Green Bay or anywhere else. So were Schneider, Dorsey, McKenzie and so are any other proteges that have grown-up on the Ron Wolf-Ted Thompson football operations tree (but are not yet GMs). It would be a shame if the Packers secured none of the best candidates as their next GM because they all needed to go somewhere else to realize their ambitions.

Ted Thomson has a lot to consider regarding his own legacy if he permits the last of them to get away simply because he hung-on too long himself. His mentor Ron Wolf didn't and, if fact, he may have gone too soon when you consider that Sherman got promoted way before he was ready for it (if he would ever have been ready for it).

When Elliott Wolf was given the title change this past year it appeared outwardly that he was the heir apparent. He was also denied the opportunity to interview with the Lions last year which further reinforced that theory. Now that he's apparently been granted approval by Thompson to interview with the 49er's for their GM position, and that he (Wolf) now seems interested enough himself to pursue it, sort of muddies the waters.
Wolf IMO is going through the motions, to indirectly put pressure of the Packers brass. Basicly saying move it or lose it... I don't see where the whole thing needs to be sped up. Im sure Elliott Wolf feels the same. But you have to go to SF to hear their offer if you are him. Not just for the leverage back home, but to be respectful to the other super powers of the NFL. Because next year he might be calling these same executives for a trade or something of the sorts. In the long run, these relationships are where it all happens...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wolf IMO is going through the motions, to indirectly put pressure of the Packers brass. Basicly saying move it or lose it... I don't see where the whole thing needs to be sped up. Im sure Elliott Wolf feels the same. But you have to go to SF to hear their offer if you are him. Not just for the leverage back home, but to be respectful to the other super powers of the NFL. Because next year he might be calling these same executives for a trade or something of the sorts. In the long run, these relationships are where it all happens...

Possible the Packers brass said, go see what they offer? Come back and we can talk?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would like to give the benefit of the doubt on this to TT. I would hope that if he saw a situation where Wolf is his logical predecessor and it means that he retires a year or two earlier than planned, than for the benefit of the Packer organization, a transition can be worked out to guarantee Eliot the position.

However, if Murphy and the other powers to be see that Eliot is the Packers future and it has to happen sooner than later, or against TT's wishes, I would expect them to politely walk TT to the door.

Hard to imagine Eliot wanting to jump ship, especially into the mess over in San Fran, but maybe he would prefer a huge challenge to prove himself and get out of his father's shadow?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possible the Packers brass said, go see what they offer? Come back and we can talk?

Experts disagree about how these strange expressions started. But, they may have come from Britain. Leaders of the 19th century British army wore pieces of metal called oak leaves on their hats. The metal brass has a color similar to that of gold. So a leader or commander came to be called a member of the brass. Or he might have been called a brass hat. Or even the top brass.
http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/top-brass-what-americans-call-their-employers/1543408.html
Other expressions that mean boss or employer have nothing to do with brass or hats. One of these is big cheese.
I think that we should call the Packers front office the big cheese from now on. :D

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this article: http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/p...-be-a-gm-soon-but-will-it-happen-in-green-bay

It reminded me that I wanted to mention Russ Ball and Alonzo Highsmith. Both are potential replacements for Thompson at some point as well. Ball is more than qualified on the administrative side but really isn't a talent evaluator. Alonzo is the opposite, a long time scout who was bumped up to Senior Personnel Executive (a made up position) five years ago to recognize his rise, and likely to prevent losing him. I didn't see his name on the list but Tim Terry has played all the positions in the personnel department for GB alongside Wolf and is currently the Director of Pro Personnel, the position once held by Ted Thompson, Reggie McKenzie, and Elliot Wolf.

There are other options if Wolf does bolt.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all who are so worried Wolf will leave, why?

Packer fans know nothing of his capabities. The only things we know are that he has received several promotions and his father was once a good GM for the Packers.

Packer fans tend to be so too nostalgic in these matters. Some posters are recommending Favre for OC and Greene for DC despite having little or no coaching aptitude or desire. Recall posters wanting Holmgren as GM as well despite his poor track record at the draft and in FA with Seattle. Well the Browns hired him as GM and they are still in the hole from the Holmgren era.

Be thankful for TT and enjoy him while we have him. Chances are high our next GM is not as successful.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Packer fans know nothing of his capabities. The only things we know are that he has received several promotions and his father was once a good GM for the Packers.

Packer fans tend to be so too nostalgic in these matters. Some posters are recommending Favre for OC and Greene for DC despite having little or no coaching aptitude or desire. Recall posters wanting Holmgren as GM as well despite his poor track record at the draft and in FA with Seattle. Well the Browns hired him as GM and they are still in the hole from the Holmgren era.

Be thankful for TT and enjoy him while we have him. Chances are high our next GM is not as successful.
Said this b4,

Wolf isnt Ted, that's all that matters to some

Sky King

Reaction score
Why not?
We know more than that. We also know that two different teams are intrigued enough with his capabilities to have wanted to interview him for their GM positions in back-to-back years. That's noteworthy.
The Wolf-Thompson system has also produced Schneider, Dorsey and McKenzie. All three teams are currently amongst the cream of the NFL. They all developed nicely within the Green Bay system. Nothing nostalgic about liking guys who have actually been successfully mentored within this system. Elliott Wolf and Brian Gutekunst in queue to join an already impressive list of Wolf-Thompson proteges who have succeeded as GMs. There seems to be no evidence to support they will fail as GMs someday.
Fans can both appreciate TT's accomplishments and also be interested in caring who his successor will be and when. Maybe those not wanting to discuss the TT era coming to an end are truly the ones clinging to nostalgia.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not?

We know more than that. We also know that two different teams are intrigued enough with his capabilities to have wanted to interview him for their GM positions in back-to-back years. That's noteworthy.

The Wolf-Thompson system has also produced Schneider, Dorsey and McKenzie. All three teams are currently amongst the cream of the NFL. They all developed nicely within the Green Bay system. Nothing nostalgic about liking guys who have actually been successfully mentored within this system. Elliott Wolf and Brian Gutekunst in queue to join an already impressive list of Wolf-Thompson proteges who have succeeded as GMs. There seems to be no evidence to support they will fail as GMs someday.

Fans can both appreciate TT's accomplishments and also be interested in caring who his successor will be and when. Maybe those not wanting to discuss the TT era coming to an end are truly the ones clinging to nostalgia.
Okay, lets trade Aaron Rodgers. The Packer system has produced 2 HOF QBs in a row. Might as well hand the reigns over to Hundley. Rodgers will retire eventually and we may lose Hundley in the meantime.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
could be... Greenbay has been known to lay down the line, and if you cross it.... well good luck in the NFL... It never seems to end well for those people. lol
Greenbay has been known to let people test the market too, as you say... Many times they end up back here when they find out the demand isn't quite what they thought it was on the open market.

I think the passing of the torch is coming sooner rather than later...