Eliot Wolf / John Dorsey GM threads?/ Browns - Steelers fight

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Gutekunst is also interviewing.

He's the Packers head of college scouting, by the way, but I don't see anyone concerned about him leaving.

If Elliott's last name wasn't Wolf, there wouldn't be much discussion about him possibly leaving.

It reminds of when fans wanted Joe Lombardi as the offensive coordinator, but he was fired from the Lions quickly.

We have no idea how Elliot would be as a GM. Whatever happens with Wolf and TT will take a few years to judge accurately.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

He's the Packers head of college scouting, by the way, but I don't see anyone concerned about him leaving.

If Elliott's last name wasn't Wolf, there wouldn't be much discussion about him possibly leaving.

We have no idea how he'd be as a GM. Whatever happens with Wolf and TT will take a few years to judge accurately.

He isn't Ted, that is all that matters to some

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn't Ted, that is all that matters to some

It is interesting how Wolf and now his son, despite doing nothing yet, are held on such high regard and TT isn't when they have the same amount of titles.

Ron gets praise like he's the greatest GM of all time. I've never seen anyone say a bad thing about him on the forum.

Yet TT is constantly criticised and many act like he's been an awful GM.

Doesn't make sense to me at all.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I didn't think teams were allowed to interview staff from other teams until after the team was out of contention....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't think teams were allowed to interview staff from other teams until after the team was out of contention....
They didn't allow it last year..

Might be way Elliott's contract if there is is one?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is interesting how Wolf and now his son, despite doing nothing yet, are held on such high regard and TT isn't when they have the same amount of titles.

Ron gets praise like he's the greatest GM of all time. I've never seen anyone say a bad thing about him on the forum.

I have pointed it out.. Both... 1 SB win and one SB loss...

Ted has more Nfccg appearances? I think that's right.

But wolf used fa, that's all people care about.. Even if Wolf says Ted is doing it right, it doesn't matter

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn't allow it last year..

Might be way Elliott's contract if there is is one?

It's up to the team that currently employs the coach or front office canidate.

IE: If the Packers wanted to block it they can. Tends to be considered bad form though

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf said the minute the first question that had to be asked was if they could afford him and not if they could use a player, he knew he was done as a GM.

Different times, much different times. But nobody seems to care

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh huh..

It's been around since November, not just by me.. But was in media then.. So it's not just a story[/QUOT
Uh huh..

It's been around since November, not just by me.. But was in media then.. So it's not just a story
Just meant one day Thompson is stepping down. The next wolfe is going to sf... All speculation. Fact is the plan was probably put in place 5years ago and the decision was made long ago....

D

Deleted member 6794

The defensive line would have a big hole right now without Guion and Peppers had helped the pass rush during all his years.

And core player or not, back up RB was a big hole without Michael.

As far this season, the only big hole right now is corner, which nobody would have seen heading into the year.

It's true that there was no way Thompson could have known cornerback would be such a mess before the start of the season. But it became abundantly clear early that the Packers needed a lot of help at the position yet TT stood pat and did absolutely nothing to improve the roster. Entering the playoffs it is still the team's weakest position and possibly the reason the Packers end up not going to the Super Bowl.

Unfortunately it's not the first time during his tenure that it has taken Thompson way too long to react to shortcomings on the roster.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has had back to back hall of fame quarterbacks and only one Lombardi Wolf did not.
Wolf took over a team that was in a shambles and turned them into winners.
Thompson took over what was already a successful team, put it in second gear and stayed there.
Time for change!

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let's not forget Wolf decided Sherman should be GM. He also was responsible for Ray Rhodes. He definitely made mistakes. People probably complained about him at the time, it's just message boards and twitter etc weren't as popular.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have pointed it out.. Both... 1 SB win and one SB loss...

Ted has more Nfccg appearances? I think that's right.

But wolf used fa, that's all people care about.. Even if Wolf says Ted is doing it right, it doesn't matter

Whos to say some of these fans wouldn't have also turned on Wolf if he had a title drought of similar length? Wolf left after his Super Bowl core had either aged retired or left. Sean Jones, Reggie White, Eugene Robinson among others were all gone. Ted Thompson on the other hand stuck around for a reload on Offense and Defense.

Ted Thompson never did build a team as dominant as those mid 90s Packer squads and Wolf might have also won a title in 95 if not for the league's scheduling. Then again how do you factor in coaching? IMHO Holmgren never would have tolerated long term ineffectiveness amongst his coaching staff the way that MM has. I suspect we would have had a new DC by the 13 or 14 season.

Special note: while Wolf did use FA, and this has been noted repeatedly on here, Wolf used FA at a time when most GMs were skeptical and the market was more favorable for the team acquiring players. I do rate Ted Thompson as the better drafter though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It reminds of when fans wanted Joe Lombardi as the offensive coordinator, but he was fired from the Lions quickly.

We have no idea how Elliot would be as a GM. Whatever happens with Wolf and TT will take a few years to judge accurately.

Well there's that moronic bit that Aaron Rodgers is the sole reason for this teams success and he doesn't count towards TTs aptitude because Aaron Rodgers fell into Teds lap... after 24 GMs passed on him and after it was plainly obvious that Aaron would need a couple of years of development.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Using Ted's own philosophy it's better to let someone go a year too early than a year too late. Never let young talent leave for the benefit of an aging vet.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has had back to back hall of fame quarterbacks and only one Lombardi Wolf did not.
Thats ridiculous. Farve played a long time and was in his prime under Wolf. His play was significantly poorer by the time TT was GM.
took over a team that was in a shambles and turned them into winners.
Thompson took over what was already a successful team, put it in second gear and stayed there.
Time for change!
Thompson inherited a team with no young talent. He remade the team and within 3 yrs had almost a completely roster turnover. Wolf had a few pieces of the puzzle that he used in building his team.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
O.K. We've debated the TT vs poppa Wolf rankings in several other threads. Take it there. This thread is about baby Wolf getting his shot.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Using Ted's own philosophy it's better to let someone go a year too early than a year too late. Never let young talent leave for the benefit of an aging vet.
What?!?!?!?!? Since when has TT done that? He is notorious for over paying his vets...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What?!?!?!?!? Since when has TT done that? He is notorious for over paying his vets...
Charles Woodson.... Brett Favre... pretty large examples. There are many that point the opposite direction too... AJ Hawk comes to mind.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He does it... Sitton will be another.

Just look at any older vet he let go, and most likely he let go one year earlier

Sky King

Reaction score
Ron Wolf is long retired and Ted Thompson is quickly approaching his own retirement date. To me, the guy who replaces Ted Thompson is the only person that really matters. I could not care less if his name is Wolf or whatever. Can that person continue to add to the winning tradition of this team? That's the guy I want to see chosen as the next GM.

If it's true that an apple doesn't fall far from the tree then Elliott Wolf may be a sound choice in Green Bay or anywhere else. So were Schneider, Dorsey, McKenzie and so are any other proteges that have grown-up on the Ron Wolf-Ted Thompson football operations tree (but are not yet GMs). It would be a shame if the Packers secured none of the best candidates as their next GM because they all needed to go somewhere else to realize their ambitions.

Ted Thomson has a lot to consider regarding his own legacy if he permits the last of them to get away simply because he hung-on too long himself. His mentor Ron Wolf didn't and, if fact, he may have gone too soon when you consider that Sherman got promoted way before he was ready for it (if he would ever have been ready for it).

When Elliott Wolf was given the title change this past year it appeared outwardly that he was the heir apparent. He was also denied the opportunity to interview with the Lions last year which further reinforced that theory. Now that he's apparently been granted approval by Thompson to interview with the 49er's for their GM position, and that he (Wolf) now seems interested enough himself to pursue it, sort of muddies the waters.

Members online

Latest posts