Donald Driver and the Jaguars.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver was #1 on the packers for yards 4x and James Lofton was #1 9x (every year he played for the packers)

Driver was good, but not that dominate.
Agreed. I was making the case, clearly, of Sterling>Lofton.

#1- Hutson
#2- Sterling
#3- Lofton
#4- Driver
#5- Let's move to this debate for #5...... Robert Brooks worth a look?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I was making the case, clearly, of Sterling>Lofton.

#1- Hutson
#2- Sterling
#3- Lofton
#4- Driver
#5- Let's move to this debate for #5...... Robert Brooks worth a look?

I would say max mcgee, freeman, or jennings. Brooks is worth a look tho

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EVERY ball thrown his way, Donald Driver caught.
And he made a TD catch.
The crowd at Lambeau cheered him loudly when he made his first catch.
So it looks/sounds like there are still a really good number of DD fans.
Donald Driver still has it in him and he is still very much relevant to the Packers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver isnt in the same league as Hutson. Hutson was the best WR in NFL history.
Apples to oranges.
It's a much different game today with a good number of African Americans playing, officials, rules, replays, coaches challenges, strategies, etc, etc, etc.

As far as being held back, he doesnt have it anymore. No more no less. The NFL stands for Not For Long, and even Driver should realize that.
After today's game, Driver showed that he still has it.

I dunno why ya all are so quick to discount a player who is still really good and who took a pay cut to show his loyalty to his fans.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apples to oranges.
It's a much different game today with a good number of African Americans playing, officials, rules, replays, coaches challenges, strategies, etc, etc, etc.

After today's game, Driver showed that he still has it.

I dunno why ya all are so quick to discount a player who is still really good and who took a pay cut to show his loyalty to his fans.

Speechless to the first part. Fairly confident you are the only person on this planet that believes DD and Hutson should even be spoken of in similar light. Is MM and Lombardi next?

You are speculating on Drivers intentions. It's much more likely he took the cut to stay on the team. Driver was adequate today but he is at best the 5th WR on this team. If he was someone who could contribute they would have him out there. Driver is my favorite packer of all time but today wasnt a come back game. This season is his swan song.

Reaction score
And he made a TD catch.
The crowd at Lambeau cheered him loudly when he made his first catch.
So it looks/sounds like there are still a really good number of DD fans.
Donald Driver still has it in him and he is still very much relevant to the Packers.
:eek: what Packer fan isn't a DD fan???

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speechless to the first part. Fairly confident you are the only person on this planet that believes DD and Hutson should even be spoken of in similar light. Is MM and Lombardi next?
I'm just focusing on the here and now.
To me, Hutson is irrelevant since he is not playing on today's Packers.
If you and others want to bring up old school players, whatever. Be my guest.

You are speculating on Drivers intentions. It's much more likely he took the cut to stay on the team. Driver was adequate today but he is at best the 5th WR on this team. If he was someone who could contribute they would have him out there. Driver is my favorite packer of all time but today wasnt a come back game. This season is his swan song.

For why Driver is still playing for the 13 times Champs team, I'm basing what I wrote from this article I found at packers.com

http://blog.packers.com/2012/10/24/despite-reduced-role-driver-has-no-regrets/

WR Donald Driver has seen his snaps, and consequently his production, greatly reduced in 2012, but the Packers’ all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards said on Wednesday he has no regrets about restructuring his contract to return to Green Bay after winning the “Dancing With The Stars” competition in the spring.
“No. When I came back, it was all for the opportunity to win another Super Bowl, and for the fans,” Driver said. “It’s hard to leave the fans that supported you throughout your career, and they supported me throughout the process, especially this offseason with ‘Dancing With The Stars,’ and you can’t let them go. You have to continue.
“You think about every time I catch a ball in that stadium, it goes crazy. I don’t think I would have gone anywhere else and gotten the same love.”

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Except for the part where he dropped 8 of 56 targets last year.

Except for the part where down their top two options, Driver was the 4th receiver today. I'll need to see snap counts later, but I'm pretty sure Driver played less than Boykin.

Driver is an old guy who gets covered by linebackers and strong safeties. He's Packer People personified, but he's no longer a threat. This year is basically a victory lap for the old man.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except for the part where he dropped 8 of 56 targets last year.
I was referring to today's game against the Jags.
Driver is an old guy who gets covered by linebackers and strong safeties. He's Packer People personified, but he's no longer a threat. This year is basically a victory lap for the old man.
Amazing to me really how quickly a bunch of you are ready to throw away a player who is still playing very well and stayed in GB for his fans.
I do welcome the next generation. Nelson, Cobb, etc.
I get it that it could be Driver's last year, but I'm gonna love and support and be a fan of his as long as he is on the team for however long he is on the team.
Shouldn't ya all do the same thing? Love today's Packers whoever they are?
Didn't you all do the same thing for Favre?

H

HardRightEdge

Didn't you all do the same thing for Favre?

No I did not, starting in about 2000.

I liked Driver. Less so starting last season with the proclaimed intent to achieve personal milestones and then through the dancing-for-money stunt instead of showing up to OTAs and the start of training came.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it that it could be Driver's last year, but I'm gonna love and support and be a fan of his as long as he is on the team for however long he is on the team.
Shouldn't ya all do the same thing? Love today's Packers whoever they are?

Yes and no. It's completely okay to have your favorites and root for them. However, I watch the game kind of cold and analytically and think about the roster.

Driver takes snaps away from younger guys who are more dangerous. Look at how impressive Cobb was last year in limited touches. Might the Giants game have played out better if Cobb got more touches earlier in the season--at the expense of Driver, preparing him for the playoffs? Maybe a BIG role in the playoffs? We'll never know with 100% certainly, but I call it likely.

There is some value for the guy who is sure handed, but A) Driver isn't really better than anyone else with drops and B) he's easily taken out of the game. Go back and watch the Giants game. Driver was covered by linebackers. Sure, he'd pick up a 1st down, but if you try that to any other receiver on the roster, that's 101 yards, a 9 point touchdown, and probably a few spontaneous pregnancies 3 counties over.

He was great, but he doesn't really get it done anymore. I'm not playing him ahead of Jennings, Nelson, Jones, or Cobb in any situation other than injury replacement. They are more dangerous, more likely to score, faster, and quicker. I'm not playing him ahead of Boykin much because Boykin will only get better with reps. Driver will only get worse from here, playing time or not.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is some value for the guy who is sure handed, but A) Driver isn't really better than anyone else with drops and B) he's easily taken out of the game. Go back and watch the Giants game. Driver was covered by linebackers. Sure, he'd pick up a 1st down, but if you try that to any other receiver on the roster, that's 101 yards, a 9 point touchdown, and probably a few spontaneous pregnancies 3 counties over.
Driver was the leading Packers receiver in the Packers/Giants playoff game.
Go here.
Scroll down.
Look for it on the right to check it out.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=320115009

If all the others were as good as you think they were, then GB should have won that game.

I'm done with this thread.
Too much negativity and I'm burned out from defending Donald Driver.
Pathetic that I have to.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Too much negativity and I'm burned out from defending Donald Driver. Pathetic that I have to.
But you were the one who posted that Driver is “the best receiver the Packers have ever had. HOF bound.” And then when the great Don Hutson’s name was brought up, you were the one that posted you are completely ignorant of Hudson: “Never heard of Don Hutson except for a practice facility named after him, I guess.” Hudson is in the conversation of the best Green Bay Packer player ever so it surprises me that someone frequently posting on a Packers board wouldn’t have ever heard of him except for the practice facility bearing his name. Some may find that pathetic: Hudson isn’t an obscure figure of history, he’s a shining light in the history of the NFL’s proudest franchise.

Regarding Driver your idea he’s the best WR in Packers history and “HOF bound” has been knocked down pretty well, and I don’t mean any disrespect to Driver by mentioning that. In fact, I don’t know of a single post by a Packers fan here disrespecting Driver’s Packer career. But appreciating Driver as a person, a teammate, and appreciating his great Packer career is not contradicted by recognizing that he is at the end of that career. That’s all some of us are saying. Look, it was great Driver caught that TD pass today. But out of 35 passes with a depleted WR corp missing its top two receivers, he was only targeted twice for a reason. And yes, he caught both passes but his total yards on those two catches was just 10 yards.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you were the one who posted that Driver is “the best receiver the Packers have ever had. HOF bound.” And then when the great Don Hutson’s name was brought up, you were the one that posted you are completely ignorant of Hudson: “Never heard of Don Hutson except for a practice facility named after him, I guess.” Hudson is in the conversation of the best Green Bay Packer player ever so it surprises me that someone frequently posting on a Packers board wouldn’t have ever heard of him except for the practice facility bearing his name. Some may find that pathetic: Hudson isn’t an obscure figure of history, he’s a shining light in the history of the NFL’s proudest franchise.

Regarding Driver your idea he’s the best WR in Packers history and “HOF bound” has been knocked down pretty well, and I don’t mean any disrespect to Driver by mentioning that. In fact, I don’t know of a single post by a Packers fan here disrespecting Driver’s Packer career. But appreciating Driver as a person, a teammate, and appreciating his great Packer career is not contradicted by recognizing that he is at the end of that career. That’s all some of us are saying. Look, it was great Driver caught that TD pass today. But out of 35 passes with a depleted WR corp missing its top two receivers, he was only targeted twice for a reason. And yes, he caught both passes but his total yards on those two catches was just 10 yards.
OK I wrote before that I was done with this thread.
Not quite yet. So sue me.
If you want me to be done, then stop arguing.
You all started this, I tried to end it, and you all kept it continuing.

It's reaching. Really, really reaching to be going back into ancient Packers history to be pulling up the stats of an old dinosaur who is no longer relevant to today's Packers.
Frankly my dear Packers fans, I don't give a damn about Don Hutson. I really don't.
All I'm focusing on is Donald Driver who is the best Packers receiver.
Every time they mention how great and awesome Driver is, I have never ever once heard him being compared to a now dead Don Hutson. Not once.
That's because they are focusing on today's Packers. If you guys want to live in the past, fine. Do that. I don't care.
But don't be going "My old player is better than the guy you're rooting for. Nyahh-Nyahh-Nyahh!"
Packers still like Driver and think he is relevant.
I'm so grateful that any of you who thinks he is done is not a coach. Obviously you would have let him go or benched him. Driver is still needed and still gets it done.
A 4-yard touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers to Donald Driver was the eventual game-winner. It gave the Packers a 21-12 lead and capped a 52-yard touchdown drive that saved the day for a Packers offense that was at most other times ineffective, and allowed the Packers to escape with a win that wasn’t expected to be nearly as tight as it was.

http://blog.packers.com/2012/10/28/packers-escape-with-24-15-win/

- By appearing in today’s contest, WR Donald Driver joined QB Brett Favre (255) as the only players in franchise history to play in 200 regular-season games. Driver became the 22nd wide receiver in league annals to play in 200 games.
- Driver’s fourth-quarter TD catch was his 62nd career touchdown, which moved him into a tie with RB Paul Hornung for the No. 5 spot for the most overall touchdowns in franchise history.
http://blog.packers.com/2012/10/28/...-to-three-games-packers-jaguars-notes-quotes/

And Jack, I used to respect you and admire your knowledge. That is "used to."
But when you post arrogant things like you are doing here, then what I see is someone acting like an internet troll.
My tolerance is up. You are now on my "ignore" list.
Thank god that you do not work for the Packers. You really have no clue on how to run a football team or coach one. So stop acting like it. If you think you can, then apply for a job with the Packers organization.
I am sure they will welcome you with open arms and your impressive knowledge on how a team works at game time.

http://www.packers.com/footer/contact-us.html

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's reaching. Really, really reaching to be going back into ancient Packers history to be pulling up the stats of an old dinosaur who is no longer relevant to today's Packers. Frankly my dear Packers fans, I don't give a damn about Don Hutson. I really don't.
It’s one thing to be ignorant (lacking knowledge, not necessarily stupid) - but quite another to be willingly so and that’s the path this poster has chosen. By this poster’s standard, Vince Lombardi is just some dead guy with his name on a trophy. This “Packers” fan rejects the history of the Packers which elevates the franchise above all others. With fans like this...

And Jack, I used to respect you and admire your knowledge. That is "used to."
The more you post the less I respect you. You are so focused on the present Packers you started a thread about Don Majkowski. A couple of days ago, you had to ask whether or not the Packers had faked a punt yet this season. It makes me wonder whether or not you even watch the games. Obviously some here are more serious about football than others. You seem to be not very serious or knowledgeable about the game – in fact you seem to treat this board like a social networking site and there’s nothing wrong with that. Really. But when you post something foolish like Driver is “the best receiver the Packers have ever had…” expect some of us who know and treasure the history of this most storied franchise to correct your ignorance.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's hard to compare hutson to driver. Hutson came from the era where passing was not as relevant as it is today. It was smash mouth football back then, yet he did set all those records which is a huge accomplishment for a receiver back then. As much as i would love to see driver in the HOF it might not happen.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I am by no means trying to play both sides here, but.....

I love and respect what DD has done for the packers. I also respect the history of the packers and those who helped mold this team into the storied franchise they are today. I think it is hard to compare someone from generations past to a more current player. I am also NOT being a racist in what I am about to say. If Hutson was playing on a basically all white team and being that the run game was the bread and butter, the other team would have been playing to stop the run and not be playing as much pass coverage. Hutson was athletic for the era he played in and more athletic than the other guys he faced, but if he were to be playing in todays day and age he would be covered like a blanket by the speedy and aggressive DB's in the league. If a black guy like Revis were to cover Hutson, he would be absolutely astonished and frustrated that he couldn't get open and by the aggressive type coverage that WR's have to face today. Yes, in the past you had to worry about getting your head taken off by a defender, but then again the pass game was not as relavent back then. I bet casey hayward could even cover some of the pasts best WR's and he a rookie.

Love DD and what he has done for us, Love Hutson for what he gave us in the past and what name he helped make for the team.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I like Driver. Great Packer. I wasn't happy that the team resigned him this year, though. I wanted that spot to go to a younger player. But, maybe having his experience on the team is worth more than I know... Idk.

Driver will likely make the Packer HOF, but not the NFL HOF. And, I put him in the top5 or 6 WRs in Packers history, but certainly not the best by any stretch of the imagination. He's not even the best in the modern era.

OP
OP
Chicocheese

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my take on Donald Driver and the NFL HOF: I think he makes it in. Why? Well, look at some PACKERS who are in the HOF who's numbers aren't really all that comparable to some other folks who are in the HOF.

*PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT BELITTLING THESE AMAZING PLAYERS ACCOMPLISHMENTS OR WHO THEY ARE AS PEOPLE!*

Bart Starr: His numbers are fairly mediocre, but he is in the HOF because he is a 2 time Super Bowl champion, 2 time Super Bowl MVP, and Lombardi's top gunner.

Paul Hornung: Again, not stellar numbers, and he got into some hot water for betting on games I do believe. However, he wa very much an effective hybrid player.

Those are just two guys off of the top of my head, and only for our team. I am sure there are more people in the HOF who's numbers aren't amazing but they get in because of what they meant to their game, era, and team. I think Donald Driver means a WHOLE lot to the Packers organization, and by more than what he does in the field.

Also, this season he has 2 TDs out of how many receptions? Maybe 6? 8? How many times has he been targeted? 10 at best? 12? Not too shabby. Also, in the Seattle game he BARELY missed a 3rd (would have been his 2nd at the time.) TD catch. It sailed over his head. He jumped to snag it, but it was off his finger tips even at the pinnacle of his jump.

There is no doubt that Don Hutson was a special player. 99 TD receptions in an era of smash mouth football.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One question-----how many records does Don still hold? Even tho we are a pass happy league now..One would think players like Driver could shatter those records?

OP
OP
Chicocheese

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One question-----how many records does Don still hold? Even tho we are a pass happy league now..One would think players like Driver could shatter those records?

I believe Steve Marriucci (a Wisconsin native, and a Packers fan.) said it best when speaking about Don Hutson:

"This guy was catching touchdown passes before they were even throwing footballs!"

He played in an era when passing was not nearly as prolific. So, passing was not as expected. Couple that with Don's physical size, speed, and athleticism and you have one HELL of a weapon. Also, when you think about how many games Don played in, it really shows just how special he was.

In this era that Donald Driver is playing in, passing is much, much more common place. There are more receivers to spread the ball around to (especially on our team.) and defenders are a TON more athletic. Even more so than most receivers I would bet. That is why Donald has less to show for his 200 games. HOWEVER, he is the Packers' all time leading receiver. That says a lot in and of it self.

I was and am NOT trying to down play Don Hutson, Bart Starr, or Paul Hornung. Nor am I trying to exaggerate Driver, but I am just trying to give credit where credit is due. Also I am just trying to show you fine folks where I am coming from.

Thank you,

Robert N. Davis - Packers fan for life.

Members online

Latest posts