Donald Driver and the Jaguars.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is out, and Nelson hasn't practiced since Wednesday. Do you think we bring him in, and run a WR set of Jones, Cobb and Driver in the slot? Does Boykin see more snaps?

Reaction score
We will see Driver out on the field most of the game I am expecting. It will be Nelson, Cobb, Finley and Driver and Crabtree at TE. We will also see Crabtree and Finley at FB since Kuhn is out for this game. Boykin will see between only 5 and 10 snaps this game and will get a couple catches MAX.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver has a neck thing going on too I just saw though I think he is going to be active for sure. I want to see what Boykin can do.

OP
OP
Chicocheese

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will see Driver out on the field most of the game I am expecting. It will be Nelson, Cobb, Finley and Driver and Crabtree at TE. We will also see Crabtree and Finley at FB since Kuhn is out for this game. Boykin will see between only 5 and 10 snaps this game and will get a couple catches MAX.

I think if Nelson isn't playing Driver will return to his spot. Driver did have a neck issue, but he has had full participation in practice the last few days.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think if Nelson isn't playing Driver will return to his spot. Driver did have a neck issue, but he has had full participation in practice the last few days.
I heard he got hurt walking out of the locker room when the coach told him he might actually get to play and be part of the game plan. He hurt his neck when he whipped his head around in surprise.:laugh:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't get it why Donald is being held back so much. He is talented. The best receiver the Packers have ever had. HOF bound.
He took a pay cut and remained loyal to the fans to stay in GB. (Since when did a modern athlete in any sport ever do that?)
I mean, he loves being a Packer and he deserves more than he is getting for being loyal at this point.
I hope we see him get more opportunities this Sunday and in more Sundays to come.
I miss watching him.
Anyone else feel the same way?
Please "tell" me I'm not alone here.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is really sad how Donald Driver's career is ending. I've always compared him to Hines Ward of the Steelers, even though Ward got all the hype from the media. Ward also had an embarrassing final year to his career. I'd like to see Driver at least get more than 3 snaps per game. Could he really have lost that much in the offseason, that he's not worthy of seeing the field anymore?

And sadly, I don't see him making the Hall of Fame, as his numbers are paltry compared to some of the guys who aren't in.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Driver were to get some numbers this game it could change they way we play him the rest of the year.
Unlike many of the Packers Driver is a dude who can play hurt and has played hurt dating back to his early years.
We never heard much about it back then because Favre and Sherman depended on him so much and wanted him on the field. He may have lost some of what he once had but this is a guy who lays himself out for his team each and every time he is on the field.
I am concerned about having Crabtree and Finley in the backfield. There could be some false starts and some holding penalties. I hope there are no fumbles. Good time to get Starks on the field to start earning his salary.
If he has his head on right and can hold on to the football he can get us some rushing numbers.

faithality

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't get it why Donald is being held back so much. He is talented. The best receiver the Packers have ever had. HOF bound.
He took a pay cut and remained loyal to the fans to stay in GB. (Since when did a modern athlete in any sport ever do that?)
I mean, he loves being a Packer and he deserves more than he is getting for being loyal at this point.
I hope we see him get more opportunities this Sunday and in more Sundays to come.
I miss watching him.

First of all, I love Donald Driver. He's the definition of a Packer. I was ecstatic when he came back just for the fact that he could retire as a Packer, possibly with a SB so he could go out on top.

But really, who's snaps is he gonna take? Even without Jennings, Jordy is currently our #1, James Jones has been playing well leading the teams in receiving TD's, and Randall Cobb is quickly rising to possibly our most dangerous weapon. Therefore only really leaving him snaps in 4 wide sets.

I love Donald Driver, but I don't see where he fits in anymore.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we will see more of him and we will need him. We don't have much of a running game and with Jennings and Nelson out, we're going to need him.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I miss watching him.

Don Hutson would like a few words with you.

• Most seasons led league, scoring: 5*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, scoring: 5*
  • Most points scored in a quarter: 29*
  • Most touchdowns scored in a quarter: 4*
  • Most touchdown receptions in a quarter: 4*
  • Most seasons led league, touchdowns: 8*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, touchdowns: 4*
  • Most seasons led league, receiving touchdowns: 9*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, receiving touchdowns: 5*
  • Most seasons led league, receptions: 8*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, receptions: 5*
  • Most seasons led league, receiving yards: 7*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, receiving yards: 4*
  • Most receptions, career: 488
  • Most receptions, season: 74
  • Most receptions, game: 14
  • Most receiving yards, career: 7,991
  • Most receiving yards, season: 1,211
  • Most receiving yards, game: 209
  • Most receiving touchdowns, career: 99
  • Most touchdowns, season: 17
  • Most touchdowns, game: 4
Note: * = remains an NFL record.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don Hutson would like a few words with you.

• Most seasons led league, scoring: 5*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, scoring: 5*
  • Most points scored in a quarter: 29*
  • Most touchdowns scored in a quarter: 4*
  • Most touchdown receptions in a quarter: 4*
  • Most seasons led league, touchdowns: 8*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, touchdowns: 4*
  • Most seasons led league, receiving touchdowns: 9*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, receiving touchdowns: 5*
  • Most seasons led league, receptions: 8*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, receptions: 5*
  • Most seasons led league, receiving yards: 7*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, receiving yards: 4*
  • Most receptions, career: 488
  • Most receptions, season: 74
  • Most receptions, game: 14
  • Most receiving yards, career: 7,991
  • Most receiving yards, season: 1,211
  • Most receiving yards, game: 209
  • Most receiving touchdowns, career: 99
  • Most touchdowns, season: 17
  • Most touchdowns, game: 4
Note: * = remains an NFL record.

Never heard of Don Hutson except for a practice facility named after him, I guess.
Look, I'm not going to get into an argument of "Well, my named player is better than your named player."
That would be pointless and ridiculous especially since we are rooting for the same team.
(I don't understand why you are nitpicking over one sentence and let's that one little thing cloud your judgement of my post. Whatever.)
But this kind of thing is what I was referring to in calling Donald Driver the best Packers receiver.
And after reading this I stand by that statement.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Donald Driver is a Super Bowl Champion, Green Bay's all-time leading receiver and a Dancing With the Stars Champion who overcame homlessness and a challenging childhood to succeed.
Driver is the Packers’ all-time receiving leader in yards and receptions, and is the only player in Packers history to record seven 1,000 yard receiving seasons. A top performer his entire career, Driver has been a four-time Pro Bowl selection (2002, 2006, 2007, and 2011). In 2010 Donald and the Green Bay Packers defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLV giving Donald his first Super Bowl ring.

http://www.donalddriver80.com/donald

Don Hutson was good for his time.
However we are discussing modern times and today's Packers here.
I mean, what kind of Packers fan is going to discount today's Packers and go "Well, back then so-and-so was better."

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never heard of Don Hutson except for a practice facility named after him, I guess.
Look, I'm not going to get into an argument of "Well, my named player is better than your named player."
That would be pointless and ridiculous especially since we are rooting for the same team.
(I don't understand why you are nitpicking over one sentence and let's that one little thing cloud your judgement of my post. Whatever.)
But this kind of thing is what I was referring to in calling Donald Driver the best Packers receiver.
And after reading this I stand by that statement.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Donald Driver is a Super Bowl Champion, Green Bay's all-time leading receiver and a Dancing With the Stars Champion who overcame homlessness and a challenging childhood to succeed.
Driver is the Packers’ all-time receiving leader in yards and receptions, and is the only player in Packers history to record seven 1,000 yard receiving seasons. A top performer his entire career, Driver has been a four-time Pro Bowl selection (2002, 2006, 2007, and 2011). In 2010 Donald and the Green Bay Packers defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLV giving Donald his first Super Bowl ring.

http://www.donalddriver80.com/donald

I mean, what kind of Packers fan is going to discount today's Packers and go "Well, back then so-and-so was better."

Driver isnt in the same league as Hutson. Hutson was the best WR in NFL history.

And HOF bound? Only if he buys a ticket.

Sharpe and Lofton also were better than Driver.

As far as being held back, he doesnt have it anymore. No more no less. The NFL stands for Not For Long, and even Driver should realize that.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I too love Donald Driver. The consummate Packer in my book...right up there with any and all of those mentioned (with the possible exception of Sharpe who in my opinion wasn't really a "Packer" - he was STERLING SHARPE who happened to wear a Packers' jersey on Sunday - great player, don't get me wrong...). James Lofton, now THERE'S a gentleman. Class act and could run like a gazelle ... when I look at a number 80 jersey, that's the name that immediately comes to mind...sorry DD -- love ya brother... but....

However, where the game is concerned ... when it's time, it's time... make no mistake, it is a kid's game and D.D. isn't a kid anymore. Love to see him get some time and balls thrown his way today.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed strongly that Hutson is the Packers #1 WR of all-time, and that Sterling & Lofton were better. Maybe not on Lofton though as he was mostly just a deep threat out of Stanford. Driver did a lot of what James did, but did it longer & had more versatility. Sterling was almost unstoppable, very strong, also got deep.

If Jordy can't suit up, we will see Donald as the #3 WR and he'll be fine.
Jones, Cobb, Donald is still a very good trio. But I'm still very excited and optimistic to see Boykin get some looks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed strongly that Hutson is the Packers #1 WR of all-time, and that Sterling & Lofton were better. Maybe not on Lofton though as he was mostly just a deep threat out of Stanford. Driver did a lot of what James did, but did it longer & had more versatility. Sterling was almost unstoppable, very strong, also got deep.

If Jordy can't suit up, we will see Donald as the #3 WR and he'll be fine.
Jones, Cobb, Donald is still a very good trio. But I'm still very excited and optimistic to see Boykin get some looks.

Lofton retired with the most yards in NFL history and was an all decades member. I think you might be undervaluing him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with those who say Hudson is not only the best WR in Packers history, he's the best WR in NFL history. Not only because of all his records and how long many of them last/lasted, but because he basically invented the modern WR position. IMO it's OK not to know or care about Packers history even as a Packers fan, but if its not important to you perhaps you should refrain from anointing current players as the best in history. Particularly one who has very little chance of making the NFL HOF.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with those who say Hudson is not only the best WR in Packers history, he's the best WR in NFL history. Not only because of all his records and how long many of them last/lasted, but because he basically invented the modern WR position. IMO it's OK not to know or care about Packers history even as a Packers fan, but if its not important to you perhaps you should refrain from anointing current players as the best in history. Particularly one who has very little chance of making the NFL HOF.

...stands up and applauds...

Great post.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never heard of Don Hutson except for a practice facility named after him, I guess. :(:cautious::alien:

Well you did say "the best receiver the packers have ever had." That would be you opening the door to comparison to ever person to ever play receiver for the packers or no?

And as far as HoF bound. There is about as much chance of that happening as Brett Favre suiting up and playing another game for the green and gold. DD is the embodiment of a packer. Excellent athlete and excellent person. Hell, I have the guys jersey and wear it in rotation with Reggie White, Charles Woodson, and DD. So dont tell me I'm some kind of anti donald driver fan because I clearly am not. But, DD was never the unquestioned 'best' WR in the league at any point in his career and was always consistent but never dominant and taking it to that extra level is the difference between making the ring of honor or the packer HoF (which I know he is a shoe in for) and being enshrined in canton.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lofton retired with the most yards in NFL history and was an all decades member. I think you might be undervaluing him.

Perhaps, but I'm not talking about what he did after the Packers, as I am not concerned with the stats that Favre racked up in NY and Minny, Edgar Bennett with the Bears, etc.

I

Let's look at what they did as Packers.

Lofton, 9 years (1978-1986)

Packer games: 136

Catches: 46, 54, 71, 71, *35, 58, 62, 69, 64. (530 catches)

Yards: 818, 968, 1226, 1294, 696, 1300, 1361, 1153, 840 (9656 yards)

TD's: 6, 4, 4, 8, 4, 8, 7, 4, 4 (49 total)

From 1980-82, Lofton was named 1st team All-NFC.

From 83-85, he was UPI 2nd team All-NFC.

Sterling Sharpe, 7 years (1988-1994)

Packer games: 112
Catches: 55, 90, 67, 69, 108, 112, 94 (595 total catches)

Yards: 791, 1423, 1105, 961, 1461, 1274, 1119 (8134 total)

TD's: 1, 12, 6, 4, 13, 11, 18 (65 total)

Led the NFL in catches in 3 of his seasons, and in yards once. Led in TD catches 2 times.

Was AP 1st Team All-NFL in 1989, 92, 93

Also 2nd team All-NFC in 90, 94

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps, but I'm not talking about what he did after the Packers, as I am not concerned with the stats that Favre racked up in NY and Minny, Edgar Bennett with the Bears, etc.

I

Let's look at what they did as Packers.

Driver was #1 on the packers for yards 4x and James Lofton was #1 9x (every year he played for the packers)

Driver was good, but not that dominate.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts