Does Jeff Saturday Return in 2013?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to be the consensus that Saturday has been one of the OL weakest links this season. I just read that with Lang back, they've got EDS practicing center again. My thought is that Saturday realizes that he's at the end of his rope and will opt to retire at the end of the season, unless he wants to stick around to be a high-priced veteran backup riding the bench to a possible ring in 2013.

I think that EDS will be our primary option for center in 2013, for lack of better options. I'm sure that with the major defensive woes addressed in the 2012 draft, TT will look to draft a center. In the event that Saturday does retire, do you agree that TT will stick with EDS or will he seek another FA center to stabilize the position until a young pup is groomed?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is actually a really good question. I was wondering that myself after the Lions game. My feeling is he won't be back. As for TT drafting a center good luck with that and that in itself is the question. If Saturday doesn't come back, who replaces him? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's going to be EDS and they won't draft a center. It's just knowing TT's draft tactics, I can't see him doing that unless it's late late round pick or he comes in a trade.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
They talked about moving Lang to C, Barclay took snaps at C in preseason, GVR has taken C snaps this season too, and Rodgers has given EDS his endorsement as COTF. What matters is how much the organization believes in EDS. Personally, I have more confidence in thin ice than I do in EDS. I have even less confidence in Saturday. He retires because he no longer feels "wanted" here (the reason he gave for coming to GB)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We draft one. There are some good prospects out there, and depending on where we pick in rnd 1, the top prospect may be available to us and he looks good. Matter of fact the top 2 prospects both look very good, Barrett Jones and Jonathan Cooper.

Let's see how Jones plays in the BCS title game and how the combines go.

This OL needs an infusion of talent full stop. It is the major weakness of this team. Center and RT are the two weakest links atm.

And to the OP's question, we draft one of these 2 (or if someone else rises up to the top before the draft) and keep EDS as backup/starter until the rookie gets his feet under him.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The scenario that seems difficult more me to grasp, is drafting a center if Saturday retires. Drafting a center in the mid-to-upper rounds signals to EDS that they don't have confidence in him. I don't see TT bringing in any stud FA centers, maybe a journeyman to compete in camp. I guess that I'm in Kitten's camp that it would be a low round (5th or lower) pick.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I vote a shaky no. I'm not feeling sure about it but I think if drafted right we can get his replacement and back up in place by the fall.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like to see Saturday retire or move on in 2013 but he'll "only" cost $3.75M if he's on the roster for all 16 games. Since he received no signing bonus, that $3.75 would be the cap savings if he's gone. (According to rotoworld.com he's due a $1.4M roster bonus, plus $1.35M salary plus $1M in per game roster bonuses.) EDS is a RFA next year.

Even if they draft one of the top two OCs in the draft (or their highest rated OC), OC is the most challenging position on the OL mentally and probably the one spot on the OL where experience in the league is most important. I realize rookie OCs have started and done well but my guess is those are the rare exceptions to the rule. So I don't think it's safe to assume a rookie starts at OC from day one. Even if they "spend a lot" on an OC in the draft if that's the case, would you prefer Saturday to (again) be the interim guy or would you prefer EDS?

After spending the entire 2009 season on the active roster, EDS lost his spot to Nick McDonald. Then was picked up and cut by the Seahawks and rejoined the Packers before the 2010 Super Bowl run. IMO EDS has been up and mostly down at OG but I believe the Packers think his best position is OC. At this point, I don't think we have enough evidence to know how he'd do as the starting OC. IMO the best reason to be optimistic about him at OC is Rodgers' endorsement. When was he "up" at OG? I thought he did pretty well last season at OG in the "Suh stomping" game and here's what McGinn had to say about him in Sunday night's game:
Once again, the plan was to have Jeff Saturday help Josh Sitton with Ndamukong Suh and leave Evan Dietrich-Smith one-on-one with Nick Fairley. … Dietrich-Smith failed to get his hands inside and got walked back by Fairley for a sack and a knockdown. But he didn't allow another pressure and joined Barclay as the only starters without a "bad" run. Dietrich-Smith was decisive to the second level, pulled and hit well on the move and finished blocks. Fairley had to leave late in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury suffered when Dietrich-Smith worked to the whistle and ended up on top of his talented adversary.
McGinn says the two best OL Sunday night were Newhouse and EDS. Saturday didn't allow a pressure but was involved in four of the six back runs. He no longer can get to the second level in the running game and age is catching up to him. IMO that was EDS' best game so far. If he can replicate that at OC he could be more than a backup there.

The best case scenario IMO would be drafting an OC that is so good he grabs the job away from any vet. Next best is EDS starting there while a talented rookie or two gain the experience necessary to challenge him.

BTW, if EDS' confidence is affected because they draft an OC, he's not the guy for the job. All but the elite NFL players know their jobs will be challenged every TC. EDS - an UDFA who has been cut by two NFL teams - has no reason to believe his job will be safe even if he's starting at OC at the beginning of TC.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe he'll be back one more yr. although we have Evan Dietrech Smith I believe we need to draft a C next yr w/in the first 3 rounds as well as a RB in the first 2 rounds. Haven't checked on the depth of Cs for this upcoming draft yet. Hopefully there are a few to pick from

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Braxton Cave from ND would be a great fit in my opinion...should be available middle to deeper roundsday maybe later.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
It depends on how everyone else develops and where we decide to go in the draft

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have it from a reliable source that Cave wouldn't beat out EDS for the job.

I'd agree he isn't a stud starter right away but I like the kid, I think he could be a mid round steal in future...granted I'd applaud a pick earlier in the draft on top tier stud prospects.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saturday has played better after a slow start. I'm not impressed with EDS at guard. I have a feeling he wouldn't be the answer at center either.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best case scenario IMO would be drafting an OC that is so good he grabs the job away from any vet. Next best is EDS starting there while a talented rookie or two gain the experience necessary to challenge him.

My thoughts exactly. Draft a top C and let EDS play while the rookie gets a chance to grow. This OL is in need of significant improvement, especially at C and RT. Relying on our present personnel to make the upgrade is way too much of a risk.

Maybe Bulaga will get back into form next year, maybe not. Maybe Sherrod will finally be 100% and show the skills for which we drafted him, maybe not. But throwing all our eggs in that basket is a big mistake IMO.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Draft a top C and let EDS play while the rookie gets a chance to grow. This OL is in need of significant improvement, especially at C and RT. Relying on our present personnel to make the upgrade is way too much of a risk.

Maybe Bulaga will get back into form next year, maybe not. Maybe Sherrod will finally be 100% and show the skills for which we drafted him, maybe not. But throwing all our eggs in that basket is a big mistake IMO.
LT isn't solid yet either. Not impressed with Newhouse.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saturday is just a mainstay until we can find a new center. This is much like when Frank Winters played center until Mike Flanagan was ready. Unfortunately, Flanagan had his legs smashed to pieces and Frank wound up staying longer than expected.
TT would have drafted a center last season but our needs were so great on defense that he had to postpone it and perform a rare un-Thomspon like act...Sign a named free agent.
Wells was a better center with Saturday being at the end of his time.

My guess is that Saturday may be around another year and the drafting of a center may be postponed again once more now that we have increased needs on both the defensive and offensive lines. Add to that the need for a name RB out of college who will be our next Ahman Green.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
My guess is that Saturday may be around another year and the drafting of a center may be postponed again once more now that we have increased needs on both the defensive and offensive lines. Add to that the need for a name RB out of college who will be our next Ahman Green.
... You do remember that Center is a position on the OL right?
Possible needs:
OC Saturday is still under contract for another year, and EDS will get his shot anyway.
RB Green/Starks/Harris can hold it down for another year if we need it.
NT/DE Pickett still has a year left.
TE Fin we do have a contract, even if it costs us a bit too much.
WR We still have a solid set of starters in Nelson/Jones/Cobb even if Jennings/Driver both leave so we don't need a high pick there.
OT Sherrod will get a chance to come back, and his 2014 year is optional, plus Newhouse can hold the fort.
FS Burnett can hold with Woodson/Jennings/McMillian
OLB Walden/Zombo/Jones could all leave, but I expect a re-signing somewhere in there. Matthews/Perry/Moses will hold
QB Harrell/Coleman will probably (read: hopefully) improve next TC
ILB Hawk/Bishop/Smith can hold, and we just drafted Manning.

Means none of them that can't be pushed off at least year. Add that we'll get at least 1 comp pick (possibly 2 to make 9 picks total plus we'll likely trade down for even more picks) and we have plenty of room to draft a Center

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... You do remember that Center is a position on the OL right?
Possible needs:
OC Saturday is still under contract for another year, and EDS will get his shot anyway.
RB Green/Starks/Harris can hold it down for another year if we need it.
NT/DE Pickett still has a year left.
TE Fin we do have a contract, even if it costs us a bit too much.
WR We still have a solid set of starters in Nelson/Jones/Cobb even if Jennings/Driver both leave so we don't need a high pick there.
OT Sherrod will get a chance to come back, and his 2014 year is optional, plus Newhouse can hold the fort.
FS Burnett can hold with Woodson/Jennings/McMillian
OLB Walden/Zombo/Jones could all leave, but I expect a re-signing somewhere in there. Matthews/Perry/Moses will hold
QB Harrell/Coleman will probably (read: hopefully) improve next TC
ILB Hawk/Bishop/Smith can hold, and we just drafted Manning.

Means none of them that can't be pushed off at least year. Add that we'll get at least 1 comp pick (possibly 2 to make 9 picks total plus we'll likely trade down for even more picks) and we have plenty of room to draft a Center
Newhouse is not a mainstay. He is average and is trying to protect the franchise's blind side.
There is no certainty that Sherrod will ever play another NFL down. Bulaga is coming back from a serious injury. Those are 2 no. one picks of which we have seen very little profit.
They will only keep Saturday if they must.

Green/ Starks/ Harris can never take on 20-25 carries in a game individually.
And 2 of the 3 will likely be hurt at a good part of the season. Brandon Saine is toast.
Only Grant has the ability to be a feature back but he is 30 now.

Pickett and Raji are on the field for way too many downs. Still unsettled at the other spot. Neither Neal nor C.J. Wilson are in the category of Cullen Jenkins.
Another serious injury occurred to a no.1 pick in Nick Perry. Will he be able to break the curse of no. 1 picks for the Packers? He hardly saw the field this year. No guarantee.
Desmond Bishop is also coming back from a serious injury. He may not be the same.
This may be Woodson's swan song. Although still valuable, physically he may not survive another season.

So in short. Get the offensive and defensive lines up to the caliber of the Niners and Giants. Then get a feature RB. The rest will take care of itself.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^
I agree with a lot of what you said but I don't think the injury to Nick Perry could be classified as serious. He had surgery to repair ligament damage in his wrist. From what I've heard he should be as good as new.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Newhouse is not a mainstay. He is average and is trying to protect the franchise's blind side.
There is no certainty that Sherrod will ever play another NFL down. Bulaga is coming back from a serious injury. Those are 2 no. one picks of which we have seen very little profit.
They will only keep Saturday if they must.

Green/ Starks/ Harris can never take on 20-25 carries in a game individually.
And 2 of the 3 will likely be hurt at a good part of the season. Brandon Saine is toast.
Only Grant has the ability to be a feature back but he is 30 now.

Pickett and Raji are on the field for way too many downs. Still unsettled at the other spot. Neither Neal nor C.J. Wilson are in the category of Cullen Jenkins.
Another serious injury occurred to a no.1 pick in Nick Perry. Will he be able to break the curse of no. 1 picks for the Packers? He hardly saw the field this year. No guarantee.
Desmond Bishop is also coming back from a serious injury. He may not be the same.
This may be Woodson's swan song. Although still valuable, physically he may not survive another season.

So in short. Get the offensive and defensive lines up to the caliber of the Niners and Giants. Then get a feature RB. The rest will take care of itself.
But the patch (Newhouse) will hold should we need it to, I was the first to criticize Newhouse, but I have to give him some small amount of credit this year. Once again, Sherrod WILL get his fair shot, The staff will address the issue should he prove unsuitable, which means one more year. Bulaga has said that his injury is not anywhere near what fans have made it out to be.

Pray tell, which two? Becaude Green has been essentially healthy ever since coming back from his knee surgery (BTW no history of injury in college) and I've seen nothing to suggest Harris is injury prone.

NT is an issue that needs to be addressed, but once again, I don't see it as an issue that can't wait a year. Neal has improved but not to the point of indispensible, and Wilson isn't a pass rusher, he's a run stuffer, who I was not high on and is entirely replacable, however I have yet to see his name drop on the depth chart, which means in the eyes of our coaches, none of the other DL are better players than he is. It's the Double R Curse, get it right lol, and once again not as bad as you think. It was a torn muscle, Bishop will be fine, I saw plenty of guys tear hamstrings playing soccer in college. Woodson needs to drink his milk, old bones break, Jennings and Mcmillian can hold the fort for another year should we need.

The Giants have an adequate line, it's barely good, but I agree with your solution.

In short: Chill.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I'd love TT to go into the draft next season is to take a OT, C, RB or big NT (even a ILB if one would fall to us) with the first pick. I'm fine with any of them, just take the best on the board. I would also be fine if a stud TE was there for the picking and would make dropping Fin even easier.

Members online

No members online now.