Detroit on Thanksgiving

Arodgers12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking about making the trip to Detroit for the Packers Lions game. Which way do you guys think is faster to get there? North through the Upper Michigan to the Mackinac Bridge then take I 75 down to Detroit or south down to Chicago then take 94 west to get there?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking about making the trip to Detroit for the Packers Lions game. Which way do you guys think is faster to get there? North through the Upper Michigan to the Mackinac Bridge then take I 75 down to Detroit or south down to Chicago then take 94 west to get there?
Mapquest will show you the quickest way to get there along with milage and estimated times for the routes.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Rand-McNally publishes great maps, most major pharmacies as well as others sell them every day. Map reading is not hard to learn and a good skill to have.
Restaurants and accommodations are a whole nother question altogether. :)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Depends on where you live. For example. If you live in the Fox Valley, I'd definitely go south around Chicago -- 294. I've taken both ways and going over the top is a prettier drive but at least 2 hours longer... my father-in-law lives in Rochester Hills, MI so, I see more of that area than anyone should rightfully be expected to see.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
And here I thought this was going to be a thread on how the Lions are going to lose on Turkey day for the 10th year in a row, and how it's only fitting that we be the ones to wax them. :D

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

And here I thought this was going to be a thread on how the Lions are going to lose on Turkey day for the 10th year in a row, and how it's only fitting that we be the ones to wax them. :D

I thought the Packers were supposed to feast on the Lions, then eat their turkey too . However waxing does sound kind of kinky as long as were talking about the cheerleaders. :tup:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spend the extra time/gas taking the northern route. As said it's prettier, you don't have to pay any tolls to the Chicago Bears, you don't have to drive through Gary, and you don't have to time your trip around rush hour traffic.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ agree 100%

Avoid Gary Indiana at all costs, unless you have a concealed carry permit and want to put it to good use. lol

PS: Bring extra ammo, **** loads of it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on. It's not like he'd be rolling down the side streets in a convertible low rider.:D The highways are safe. I'd just rather look at pine trees and wilderness than smoke stacks and graffiti.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in northern Illinois and travel to southern Michigan and Cleveland a few times a year. Indiana (northern Indiana at least) has to be the armpit of America.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in northern Illinois and travel to southern Michigan and Cleveland a few times a year. Indiana (northern Indiana at least) has to be the armpit of America.
Yeah?
I don't wanna ever go to what the butt crack or smelly crotch of America is.

Reaction score

For the love of God, you are so right Ceodore about "the Region" in northern Indiana! I live downstate in Terre Haute which many call "Terrible Hole" and for good reason:( but it would have to go some to equal that area. I've taken that route on old 41 North many times going to Cub games years ago and each time I would pray for "NO flat tires" traveling through there. The movie "Judgement Night" always seemed to enter the back of my mind:cool:

And I'm not sure I would feel safe sitting in the stands inside the dome in Detroit, either > e.g. "PACERS vs PISTONS"......2004! Enough said;)

Last edited:

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
I don't live there, never have, never want to, but the Gary region has seen a MAJOR resurgance since the price of steel has skyrocketed. There are still plenty of nerdowells there but the Gary of 2013 is nothing like the Gary of 2000. The mills are running three shifts and are all close to capacity. That said, leave early, so its still dark out. After Gary, its still 3-4 hours to Ford Field. Get there by 10-11AM and do some tailgating. The area around the field is very safe. I'll be there. Some of you here saw me there a few years ago, on TV, as a part of the tunnel for the "Packers", coming out of the locker room. I'll buy you a PBR. A little home away from home. That's where I met Derrick Martin.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
That's Houston...and I would advice you to never go there. If northern Indiana has pit-stains on its 'Welcome to Indiana' sign then Houston has skid marks on theirs.

I live in Houston and tell everyone that "Houston is hot, flat, and ugly... But, beside that, it's quite nice!" Lived here on and off for 20+ years. Houston kind of grows on ya. Just like the mildew around here.

Great restaurants, though. And cheap to live. No state tax. Good paying jobs. Winters are great. Golf year round. But, hotter than hell in summer. They say that there are two seasons in Houston: Summer and August.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Houston kind of grows on ya. Just like the mildew around here.
I worked in The Woodlands for a year, departing just after Hurricane Rita hit in 2005. I remember every highway being a sea of billboards and store fronts, and the sound of cicadas at night could be deafening.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I worked in The Woodlands for a year, departing just after Hurricane Rita hit in 2005. I remember every highway being a sea of billboards and store fronts, and the sound of cicadas at night could be deafening.

Yeah, but they are nice looking billboards and store fronts, no?

And the cicadas thankfully drown out the noise of the mosquitos as well as the constant sound of the trucks air-braking on the 16 lane highways that criss-cross the entire region.

And hurricanes are just a mild annoyance. My car has only been flooded a couple of times so far. And, it's fun to canoe down the street at times!