Despite his play, critics keep ******' Woodson

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get a google alert in my mailbox every few days on Charles Woodson news and updates. Today I went to this site and saw what this ****** had to say...

from http://www.insomniacslounge.com/index.html

"NFL Adam's stance that Norv Turner is a horrible coach is hardly a minority opinion. Many people believe that Turner is good as an offensive coordinator but lacks the qualities to be an effective head coach. Among those people is former wide receiver and tango dancer, Jerry Rice. In Rice's new book, Rice says that Turner, "was never really head coach material ... He couldn't control the players and guys like Charles Woodson walked all over him." I'll give him a pass on Woodson- nobody has been able to turn him into anything resembling an NFL player."

My initial reaction, as some of y'all know, was to instantly reply with a rundown of everything he's accomplished during his career, unfair criticisms over the years, injury history, etc. But I just kept it short in an email to him:

Just thought I'd let you know he led the NFC with 8 interceptions. Something tells me that's an NFL player. Try ESPN news...those commercials will tell you that if you actually watch sports and ESPN that you'll learn to stop talking out of your ***.

You'd think he'd start to get a little bit more credit with his play this year, especially since he worked through so many nagging injuries all year, but this is just a reminder that certain players have certain stigmas attached, fair or not, so I guess we can do nothing but get used to it.

At this point I'm not even sure that defending him does any good. Those who call him out have no consequences to deal with, so why even bother.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like him to play all 16 games, and consistently.

His slow start this year really killed the defense(as did al harris), because he is supposed to be key part of that D, and have the back of the 2nd year safety, and the nontalent they call Marquand Manuel.

Hopefully 2007-08 will be the year he isn't "nagged" by injuries, and plays at a high level consistently all year.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to read the article, but then I got distracted.

But yeah, Woodson surpassed everyone's expectations I think. It took him a while to get acclamated, but once he got going, he was a strong presence. I am glad we have him and Al.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For an injury prone player he sure toughed it out this season. The guy may not of been able to practice until Friday's but come game day he was on the field and making plays. He really earned back my respect this year. I thought he was a good #2 CB but not a #1 but I was wrong. I think Green Bay is sitting with two legit #1 Corners. In my opinion I can’t think of a better CB tandem in the NFL. It’s depth that’s killing Green Bay right now.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i honestly couldnt fault Woodson's play in 06, he worked his butt off and played hurt but showed great heart and courage.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i honestly couldnt fault Woodson's play in 06, he worked his butt off and played hurt but showed great heart and courage.
I agree Tiger. He showed up on game day, reguardless of how he felt. Hopefully he will be 100% healthy and ready to roll come the season.
Then we will see just how good he really can be.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The can't do teach and the can't teach criticize.

Just for the record, those were Jerry Rice's comments.

I suspect that you would find very few who think he "can't do" or that he has not earned the right to "criticize."

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Those who taught you obviously didn't make much of an impact.

Here is the thing, we are all judged by what we do. What you say doesn't amount to a hill of beans, it's what whether you do what you say. The truth of the matter is that in Woodson's early years he was a talented player who was a bit of a malcontent. If that's the way the guy is judged today so be it. If he doesn't want to be perceived like that than he's going to have to start doing the things that the truly great players do. He needs to get his butt into the OTA camps this year and show he's not just a great player but a great leader too. If he is only of those two, his legend will be that he wasn't a great player at all. There is only one person who can change that image and it is Charles.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CurlyBear said:

Those who taught you obviously didn't make much of an impact.

Here is the thing, we are all judged by what we do. What you say doesn't amount to a hill of beans, it's what whether you do what you say. The truth of the matter is that in Woodson's early years he was a talented player who was a bit of a malcontent. If that's the way the guy is judged today so be it. If he doesn't want to be perceived like that than he's going to have to start doing the things that the truly great players do. He needs to get his butt into the OTA camps this year and show he's not just a great player but a great leader too. If he is only of those two, his legend will be that he wasn't a great player at all. There is only one person who can change that image and it is Charles.

Not every player is cut out to be a leader, if Woodson keeps his head down and works hard and dosent disrupt the locker room in any way then i'll be happy.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Woodson had been playing for a high-profile, big market team he would've gotten a lot of recognition for his accomplishments in 2006. But the Packers don't get much attention in the media unless they are contending for a championship.

But I wouldn't worry too much about the opinion of some guy from a web site called insomniacslounge.com.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The author's not that hard to figure out. From the rest of his blog it's obvious that he's a sports fan from southern California. He's just pissed because his Raiders suck and Woodson had his best year as a pro playing for somebody else.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Insomniacs Lounge Dot Com.

How many Pulitzer prize winning writers have come from this media outlet? I am not sure, I am just asking.

I think Bruce and since69 pretty much nailed it so I need not contribute any more to this thread.

Great posts gentlemen!

Raider Pride.

OP
OP
T

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's obviously not my point. I can reference articles from Peter King of SI.com who have said the same thing year in and year out. This was just one more ******** who adds to the mob mentality that whatever is said over and over again must be true.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you guys saying that Jerry Rice is a ******** and or clueless???

It was Jerry Rice who said he was uncoachable.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, Favre's been said to be uncoachable by a lot of people. same thing has been said about lots of great players. we know he kicks ***. we know woodson kicks ***. let them keep thinking we all suck. there's a lot to be said about the power of being underestimated.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it means anything, but if Woodson ignores the non-mandatory camps again and comes into camp as unready to play as he did last year, you can bet I will "dog" his butt. If our team is to make any kind of a move this year, ALL the players must dedicate themselves to the task. The same goes for Harris. He got the re-do he's happy with so the way to show it is to be extra ready to go. One reason Green is a favorite is that he works hard every off-season so that he's chomping at the bit to play. Hawk, apparently, is another one. Hopefully, they are inspirations to others.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it means anything, but if Woodson ignores the non-mandatory camps again and comes into camp as unready to play as he did last year, you can bet I will "dog" his butt. If our team is to make any kind of a move this year, ALL the players must dedicate themselves to the task. The same goes for Harris. He got the re-do he's happy with so the way to show it is to be extra ready to go. One reason Green is a favorite is that he works hard every off-season so that he's chomping at the bit to play. Hawk, apparently, is another one. Hopefully, they are inspirations to others.

Harris is the consummate Professional football player. He comes to camp in great shape works from whistle to whistle in drills and scrimmages -- arrives early and leaves late. He can be found at mini-camps and practices working with younger players teaching them the tricks of the trade and helping them with technique.

Woodson is a physically talented person who depends upon his natural physical ability to get him by and to make big plays. He gambles a lot, but has the physical ability to make plays. However, he also is one who never puts in a minute extra, takes a very lax and casual approach to drills and much of practice and is far from a role model for younger players.

That is not disrespectful, rather factual reporting of what Charles has done throughout his professional career.

OP
OP
T

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, you sure use a lot of superlatives as factual evidence for Charles. I guess I'll start asking your opinion, er I mean fact, before I state anything about him. Thanks for clarifying.

Though I could shoot holes in your post like swiss cheese, the one major thing I take exception to is the role model part. "Far from a role model for younger players"...how the HELL would you know? Do you even know what 22-25 year old athletic black men look for when they join a football team? I would think a Heisman winner from a big University, who has come back three weeks after breaking a leg to play in a Super Bowl, who has had an interception in a Super Bowl, who speaks the truth and will defend himself and his teammates through the very worst of times (Callahan), who still has all the tools to be a top corner at his age (30), whose best year stat-wise in his entire football career was last year, who is still a face in the hip hop community, who owns houses in the ATL and frequents the city often, who has maintained a certain image even though people from every corner are trying to portray him as different, etc., MIGHT be what younger players look up to.

It may be different for you and me, but we're not professional football players, are we?

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen jackasses like Peter King say things like Charles played his last good game at Ann Arbor. No matter how good he plays, no matter what he does they just spin doctor it how he is a cancer, or a bad player.

Every TD scored against your team is his fault, if he had a pick, it was cause someone threw it right to him, he doesn't cause fumbles, people just drop the ball when he hits them :roll: .