Defending Janis

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am still hopeful that Janis can put something together. Although I am starting to lean towards the skeptical crowd.

I had been hopeful going into training camp. But by all accounts I've seen, he's pretty much s**t the bed with his opportunities. Year 3, same old same old, no improvement. Getting close to cut bait time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I had been hopeful going into training camp. But by all accounts I've seen, he's pretty much s**t the bed with his opportunities. Year 3, same old same old, no improvement. Getting close to cut bait time.

Once again, as long as the Packers don't find another player capable of duplicating Janis' performance on special teams he makes the roster. Especially with Goodson suspended for the first four games of the season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a competent receiver is more important than a special teams guy, especially when injuries hit.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think a competent receiver is more important than a special teams guy, especially when injuries hit.

No doubt about it but performance on special teams factors into players on the bubble making the team.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Schroeder is probably the only player compareable to Janis. After the Packers drafted him in 1994 it took him until his fourth season in the league to even catch a pass. He broke out in his sixth year catching 74 passes for 1,051 yards.

I don't know about the reasons why he was out of football for some time though and I'm not convinced Janis can follow his path.
Neither have those innate WR instincts imo. Really all they have is natural speed and in Schroeder's case, a lot of physical abilities. Guys like Jennings and Freeman seemed to have much more natural instinctiveness to play the position.

D

Deleted member 6794

Neither have those innate WR instincts imo. Really all they have is natural speed and in Schroeder's case, a lot of physical abilities. Guys like Jennings and Freeman seemed to have much more natural instinctiveness to play the position.

No doubt about that and the reason why Schroeder and Janis played for small colleges playing in Division II/III.

NYNeal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys crack me up haha. Jeff Janis is not only the biggest wr we have...he's probably top 3 fastest out of the group. ..probably really only behind Davis. He was not only our best gunner but he's actually not a bad kick returner either. Him and Davis will probably take over those duties full time. All this he will be cut hooblah is crazy. Jarrett Bush stuck around forever simply because he was solid as a gunner and nothing else. I know Janis is a far better football player than Bush was.

If I was a betting man I'd say Janis sees a lot more reps at wr than what some of you think he will. He had a good game against the Cardinals secondary...not the the Saints. Cardinals pass defense was top 10. Two of those guys went to the pro bowl.

Janis's biggest problem is the mental side of the game. If he doesn't get up to par on that side of the game, I don't care how much talent he has, he won't be a starter. He has to get it and be able to recognize what the defense is showing him so he can get on the same page with Aaron. Otherwise, Aaron won't trust him -- and rightly so.

D

Deleted member 6794

Janis's biggest problem is the mental side of the game. If he doesn't get up to par on that side of the game, I don't care how much talent he has, he won't be a starter.

He won't even get on the field as long as the Packers don't have a rash of injuries at the position.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis's biggest problem is the mental side of the game. If he doesn't get up to par on that side of the game, I don't care how much talent he has, he won't be a starter. He has to get it and be able to recognize what the defense is showing him so he can get on the same page with Aaron. Otherwise, Aaron won't trust him -- and rightly so.

I'd also add that if Janis was as good of a reciever as Bush was a CB then nobody would even come close to wondering if he stood a chance of being cut when factoring in his STs play. It'd be locked up. (And just for clarification I think he makes the final roster simply due to his STs play but it is worth discussing).

It's also worth noting the competition Bush beat out at the bottom of the DB depth chart due to his STs play was far worse then the competition Janis is going up against.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd also add that if Janis was as good of a reciever as Bush was a CB then nobody would even come close to wondering if he stood a chance of being cut when factoring in his STs play.

I agree with most of what you have posted about Janis in this thread but don't think Bush was a better cornerback than he's a wide receiver.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you have posted about Janis in this thread but don't think Bush was a better cornerback than he's a wide receiver.

Fair enough. I disagree but it's not worth arguing about.

In any case the competition Bush beat out due to his STs play in the defensive backfield was far worse then what Janis is going up against now which gets left out when people say "We kept Bush for how many years simply for STs play so why not Janis?"

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think the guy trevor davis will move up on the WR depth chart. To janis credit they can say what they want but when that man get on the field when its game time he produces. That hail mary last year dude had some spring in him. He out jumped patrick peterson one of the league best corners.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Bush actually beat out people to play significant snaps. Janis has never done that. Bush had more passes defended in his first two regular seasons than Janis has catches. You seem to watch more closely than me though

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Bush actually beat out people to play significant snaps. Janis has never done that. Bush had more passes defended in his first two regular seasons than Janis has catches. You seem to watch more closely than me though

I thought I recall Bush was an OK nickel back in either his rookie or 2nd season but then really fell off. He seemed to be pretty much the last defensive back off the bench the rest of his career; the only time I remember him forced into significant PT after that was the Super Bowl, but he played pretty well.

D

Deleted member 6794

In any case the competition Bush beat out due to his STs play in the defensive backfield was far worse then what Janis is going up against now which gets left out when people say "We kept Bush for how many years simply for STs play so why not Janis?"

Absolutely agree with this assessment.

I honestly think the guy trevor davis will move up on the WR depth chart. To janis credit they can say what they want but when that man get on the field when its game time he produces. That hail mary last year dude had some spring in him. He out jumped patrick peterson one of the league best corners.

There's no denying Janis had a decent game and a great drive during the playoff loss at Arizona but during the regular season he only caught two of 12 targets.

The coaching staff and Rodgers might want to have Janis on the field in desperation mode once running the correct route isn't absolutely necessary but as long as he doesn't fully grasp the playbook he won't get snaps on plays requiring precision.

RRyder did a pretty good job explaining why Bush got more playing time. He didn't have to beat out player as talented as Janis has to to get on the field.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis had better step up his game in a hurry, or risk being the odd man out:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/08/jeff-janis-buried-on-packers-depth-chart/

I believe his special teams value is saving him, for now at least.

You believe his special teams value is saving him? LOL, it absolutely is saving him there's no question about it. Again, 4 career regular season catches and the reports have constantly been negative on his progression. If he didn't have more special teams tackles than catches he'd of been looking for work long ago.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I recall Bush was an OK nickel back in either his rookie or 2nd season but then really fell off. He seemed to be pretty much the last defensive back off the bench the rest of his career; the only time I remember him forced into significant PT after that was the Super Bowl, but he played pretty well.

Except for the "where did the receiver go?" TD he gave up at the end of the first half.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Ben Rothlisberger holds that ball a split second more, and sees Heath Miller streaking down field wide open (Bush's responsibility) instead of going underneath when Bush eventually picked it off, that game could have been very different. He was great on ST, as a CB... not so much.

Members online

Latest posts