Daunte Culpepper visiting Green Bay Packers!?!?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
NodakPaul said:
porky88 said:
Oh come on. If Aaron Rodgers gets hurt and Craig Nall comes in the Packers are going to be alright. Yeah that's the smart move here. How about a rookie QB like David Booty or Flacco. Packers better call Brett Favre or they will be picking #2 if Rodgers gets hurt.

The Packers probably won't sign Culpepper. I'm guessing this is a smoke screen to make teams think they may not look at a QB in the Draft but if they did sign him it's not going to do anything to the franchise in a positive or negative way. Culpepper is a QB looking for a job. If he earns himself a roster spot in TC then he should make the team. If he doesn't he's gone.

Acting like a signing of a Daunte Culpepper would send the Packers into oblivion and put the Vikings in the driver seat is going over board. Had Culpepper never played in Minnesota I'm sure feelings on this would be a lot different.

The irony here is I'm not so sure Tavaris Jackson is much better than Daunte Culpepper. The little action Culpepper saw last season was ok for a backup QB. Jackson's QB rating was actually 9 points lower. Now that's saying something.

Jackson carried an 80.1 QB rating over the last half of the season... ;)

Jackson's QB rating was a 70.8. The games in the beginning of the year count too. Regardless an 80.1 QB rating isn't much better than a 78. It's about on par.

Jackson had zero 300 yard games in 12 starts. His stats were 9 TD's and 12 INT's in 12 games with 1,911 yards.

Culpepper played in 5 games and had 5 TD's, 5 INT's, and 1,331 yards and one 300 yard game against the Vikings. That means in a 7 game span Culpepper would have to throw for about 100 yards in each game to match Jackson. Throw in a a 2 TD game and a TD pass every other game after that and he actually surpasses Jackson in TD passes. One INT a game and he ties him in picks.

So basically in a 7 game span he'd have to throw for 100 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT to match Jackson. Give or take obviously. So he'd have to be the Culpepper from Miami.

That either tells me of two things

1. If Culpepper is washed up then the Vikings are going no where with Jackson.

2. If Jackson can get the job done then Culpepper at the very least can be a backup.

Further more Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are not idiots. If they thought Culpepper would be a head case and any threat to Aaron Rodgers then they wouldn't sign him. My guess is he'd know his role if he came here because if he didn't, he wouldn't be here long enough to be a problem.

Huh.....we say that about the Vikings guys, yet you guys disagree.....

Culpepper has a cocky personality, that is obvious. He caused a ton of trouble for us. The Raiders and Dolphins obviously didn't want him back. If you want to take a chance with him good for you. We will sit back and laugh because we have already experienced Culpepper.

The difference between Green Bay and those other 3 teams is Culpepper has ZERO chance to be the starting QB. That's why the risk for the Packers is lower than it was for the other 3 teams and that's why I don't care if GB signs him. Packers can cut him and move on much easier than the other teams especially Miami.

Now if the Packers needed a starting QB this would be a different story.

I think the Vikings are a playoff caliber team along with Green Bay. If the Vikings win the division it's not going to be because of Culpepper being a Green Bay Packer though.

Schutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dante wouldn't be a horrible sign. Yes he has an ego problem, and he's had his fair share of injuries. But what are the other options, Dante or Cleo Lemon? Atleast Dante has been a winning QB before with a career QB rating of 89. The pack could do alot worse than Dante.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last time I checked ... he was playing for teams that had no o-line or wr's ... you can't ask for someone to throw the ball and catch it himself

OP
OP
N

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson's QB rating was a 70.8. The games in the beginning of the year count too. Regardless an 80.1 QB rating isn't much better than a 78. It's about on par.

Jackson had zero 300 yard games in 12 starts. His stats were 9 TD's and 12 INT's in 12 games with 1,911 yards.

Culpepper played in 5 games and had 5 TD's, 5 INT's, and 1,331 yards and one 300 yard game against the Vikings. That means in a 7 game span Culpepper would have to throw for about 100 yards in each game to match Jackson. Throw in a a 2 TD game and a TD pass every other game after that and he actually surpasses Jackson in TD passes. One INT a game and he ties him in picks.

So basically in a 7 game span he'd have to throw for 100 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT to match Jackson. Give or take obviously. So he'd have to be the Culpepper from Miami.

2. If Jackson can get the job done then Culpepper at the very least can be a backup.

Further more Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are not idiots. If they thought Culpepper would be a head case and any threat to Aaron Rodgers then they wouldn't sign him. My guess is he'd know his role if he came here because if he didn't, he wouldn't be here long enough to be a problem.

Absolutely the first half of the season counts too. But it shows that TJack improved considerable over the course of the year. He had a very rouhg start, to be sure. While he is getting better, fumblepepper is getting worse.

BTW, this stat was hilarious:
"Culpepper played in 5 games and had 5 TD's, 5 INT's, and 1,331 yards and one 300 yard game against the Vikings. "

In that 300 yard game against the Vikings, he also had only 1 TD, 1 INT, 2 fumbles, 5 sacks, and they lost the game.

If you are trying to argue that Culpepper is better than TJack, I am sorry, but I don't see how you can believe that even through green and gold glasses. But that really doesn't matter either way, does it? The point of this thread was to highlight the fact that Culpepper was meeting with GB, and even I can recognize what a mistake that would be.

I agree that Thompson and McCarthy are not idiots. That is why I was shocked that they would even bring him in for a visit...

OP
OP
N

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last time I checked ... he was playing for teams that had no o-line or wr's ... you can't ask for someone to throw the ball and catch it himself

True, but it goes beyond that.

He refused to rehab in a professional sports facility because he was mad at the community for reacting to the Love Boat. So he rehabbed in a strip mall instead, and ended up injuring his knee even more by coming back before it was fully healed.

He injured his leg again because he wanted to prove that he was faster than a teammate, and challenged him to a sprint.

He fired his agent because he didn't feel like he was being treated like the star he was. He now acts as his own agent and has successfully reduced himself to being unemployed.

He is an absolute head case who always relied on his physical strength and fast WRs to make him look good. Now that he has decline physically, he has little left to offer to the sport. He never understood the game well enough to be a successful mentor or coach. And his ego won't let him be a back up.

Why would anybody want that on their team?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

He refused to rehab in a professional sports facility because he was mad at the community for reacting to the Love Boat. So he rehabbed in a strip mall instead, and ended up injuring his knee even more by coming back before it was fully healed.

He injured his leg again because he wanted to prove that he was faster than a teammate, and challenged him to a sprint.

He fired his agent because he didn't feel like he was being treated like the star he was. He now acts as his own agent and has successfully reduced himself to being unemployed.

He is an absolute head case who always relied on his physical strength and fast WRs to make him look good. Now that he has decline physically, he has little left to offer to the sport. He never understood the game well enough to be a successful mentor or coach. And his ego won't let him be a back up.

I can't disagree with much of this post.. I really don't see the benefit of adding Cpep.. Wait for a Simms or even ring ol Leftwich up.. personally I see Nall resigning and a rookie filling the #3 spot.. I really don't think Duante will be in camp.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think you just might be right i cant see the management being fooled either. could be the old slight of hand trick show you one thing and do another :cross:

I think you hit the nail on the head here.
TT's good at playing cards and he knows how to translate it to the NFL.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Absolutely the first half of the season counts too. But it shows that TJack improved considerable over the course of the year. He had a very rouhg start, to be sure. While he is getting better, fumblepepper is getting worse.

"Culpepper played in 5 games and had 5 TD's, 5 INT's, and 1,331 yards and one 300 yard game against the Vikings. "

In that 300 yard game against the Vikings, he also had only 1 TD, 1 INT, 2 fumbles, 5 sacks, and they lost the game.

If you are trying to argue that Culpepper is better than TJack, I am sorry, but I don't see how you can believe that even through green and gold glasses. But that really doesn't matter either way, does it? The point of this thread was to highlight the fact that Culpepper was meeting with GB, and even I can recognize what a mistake that would be.

I agree that Thompson and McCarthy are not idiots. That is why I was shocked that they would even bring him in for a visit...

Green and Gold glasses? :roll:

I've picked the Vikings to make the playoffs in 2006. I picked the Bears to win the division in 06 and 07. I had the Packers going 8-8 last year. So don't assume that every Packer fan is a homer on this board.

You want to argue the stats then fine. Go ahead but they are there. Jackson has been awful as a starter. If 80 QB rating is your improvement then it's going to be along season for Minnesota. I absolutely would pick Minnesota to win the division if they had a good QB. They don't so that's going to hold them back in my opinion. If you want improvement then look at his play against Chicago and Washington. Two games you had to have and the Vikings won one because of their defense and well it was the Bears. They absolutely blew the Redskins game. Jackson I believe threw more passes in that game than any other game last season.

I'm not talking about who is the better guy. Culpepper might be a head case but so was Koren Robinson once a upon a time and he's been nothing but a class act for the Packers.

I'm not saying Culpepper is this great QB. I think he can be an ok backup at best and the Packers need a camp arm so if they can bring him in for that, I'm happy. Last thing I want is Rodgers getting worn down in training camp. We already know he has durability issues.

Players who go from the top to the bottom tend to be more humble. I'm not saying that's Culpepper but it might be and that's why the Packers met with him the other day. If they see it then I think the guys running the Packers have the benefit of the doubt to make the move. This team was 13-3 and in the NFC Title Game just last year.

Schutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
porky88 said:

Green and Gold glasses? :roll:

I've picked the Vikings to make the playoffs in 2006. I picked the Bears to win the division in 06 and 07. I had the Packers going 8-8 last year. So don't assume that every Packer fan is a homer on this board.

You want to argue the stats then fine. Go ahead but they are there. Jackson has been awful as a starter. If 80 QB rating is your improvement then it's going to be along season for Minnesota. I absolutely would pick Minnesota to win the division if they had a good QB. They don't so that's going to hold them back in my opinion. If you want improvement then look at his play against Chicago and Washington. Two games you had to have and the Vikings won one because of their defense and well it was the Bears. They absolutely blew the Redskins game. Jackson I believe threw more passes in that game than any other game last season.

I'm not talking about who is the better guy. Culpepper might be a head case but so was Koren Robinson once a upon a time and he's been nothing but a class act for the Packers.

I'm not saying Culpepper is this great QB. I think he can be an ok backup at best and the Packers need a camp arm so if they can bring him in for that, I'm happy. Last thing I want is Rodgers getting worn down in training camp. We already know he has durability issues.

Players who go from the top to the bottom tend to be more humble. I'm not saying that's Culpepper but it might be and that's why the Packers met with him the other day. If they see it then I think the guys running the Packers have the benefit of the doubt to make the move. This team was 13-3 and in the NFC Title Game just last year.

Meh save the typing. As much as I hope T-Jack is going to be good I just don't believe it, and apparently there wasn't enough purple kool-aid leftover for me. Comparing a former Pro-Bowl QB who almost won an MVP behind Peyton Manning barely is being compared to T-Jack. Something is wrong with that math. Even playing for crappy teams Dante has done ok for the most part. It's just that Dante is a FORMER Viking so everybody hates him now. If a team really had the choice between a pro bowl QB who has a career 89 QB rating and some other random backup who would you pick? *shakes head* It's tiring listening to some of my purple comrades sometimes.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
b_mckendry said:
TT is looking for someone who knows the game. Dante knows the game. I would be content with him.

Daunte doesn't know the game..

He got by on his athleticism and RANDY MOSS...when in Minnesota.
Randy made Daunte look MUCH better than he really was.

He would just throw the ball within 10 yards of Moss and he would get it.

Culpepper is NOT known for his accuracy or quarterback acumen.

Mike Tice used to criticize Culpepper for not knowing the playbook
well enough. Should the QB be the master of the playbook and not
have the headcoach secondguessing that?

That should tell you everything

Once he tore his knee ligaments..his athleticism was taken away from him.
He proved to be average or a little under in terms of actual QB ability, when he didn't have a WR to bail him out, or had his speed to bail him out.

He does NOTHING for the packers.

Culpepper never was in a west coast offense except in Oakland and while there..he couldn't be out McNown for the starting job.

He has no advice to offer Aaron Rodgers on anything.
He can't run the offense well, so why would he be a great back up?
Leftwich is even worse..he has a 4-5 second ball release. Most mediocre defensive ends will be in the backfield in 3 seconds.

Rattay is the option for Rodgers...
AND..>Rattay has worked w/McCarthy before.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Krazygangsta said:

One thing I did like about Culpepper is he was a beast to bring down. If his physicality has declined, we'll be losing his one strong trait. Yet another reason not to want him.

I seriously doubt we'll see him in green and gold in '08.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts