Dantes 2022 Draft Thread

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What OL picked that late doesn’t need work?
All need work in some degree, but Penning is a penalty machine and his pass blocking can be extremely questionable. Throw on some of the one on one drills from the senior bowl. He lets players get into his chest way too easily and quicker players with bend can make it look easy to go around him. There are definitely OT that are more NFL ready than him and I'm saying this while still liking him as a prospect. He's a mean mother and you can't coach that, I just don't like him in the first.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Mike Renner of pff said on a podcast that the media has had Sean Rhyan’s age wrong. He’s been listed at 24, but he’s actually 21.

That’s a huge difference. Rhyan is a total Packers type. He’s a left tackle, he probably moves inside, he’s a good run blocker, good agilities.

I’d be all about that pick.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Today, I feel like I've been overthinking things at WR for the Packers.

Who did they lose? Davante Adams.

What did Adams offer that no one else did? Beating press, separating from man.

So what do the Packers need to do? Get a player or two who can beat press and wins well versus man coverage.

Who are those guys? Two of them are Chris Olave and Skyy Moore. George Pickens is another, though there are apparently other questions about him.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Lots of late smoke in the mocks around the Packers and Quay Walker.

It would be surprising to see them take an off-ball linebacker given their tendencies, but I wouldn't mind it.

If you just think about their starting lineup in the nickel, the LB spot next to Campbell is far and away the weak link of the defense. They need depth elsewhere absolutely, but that's really the only place on the defense that they could absolutely use an upgraded starter.

Perhaps they'd be willing to go off-brand and take a guy really high at that position as they're in "win now" mode-- the bigger the immediate impact, the better. And perhaps Barry, given his background, has suggested that two strong starting linebackers are what he needs to take the defense to the next level.

If they were to do that, Quay would easily be the choice for me, even over Lloyd. He's almost two years younger and a better athlete who showed out at a higher level of football.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Could also be that he wants another cornerback or safety.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have stated how much I like Hill (1st round) with the fact that he can help in the slot and at safety and I see Pitre (2nd round) in the same light. The other versatile guy that intrigues me is Jo Jo Domanns (4th round). He has LB, S, Slot and ST experience.

Reaction score
I'm not sold that he would be an immediate upgrade over Nijman, Turner, or Jenkins at RT.
Sure. Also though, I think it would be a short amount of time before we saw Penning start. Upon first injury in either side etc we’d get a taste.
Possibly they’d keep Nijman as a Swing (either guy could play both sides)
Turner?

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today, I feel like I've been overthinking things at WR for the Packers.

Who did they lose? Davante Adams.

What did Adams offer that no one else did? Beating press, separating from man.

So what do the Packers need to do? Get a player or two who can beat press and wins well versus man coverage.

Who are those guys? Two of them are Chris Olave and Skyy Moore. George Pickens is another, though there are apparently other questions about him.

I like Olave but his weight is below what the Packers have historically picked so I'm thinking he's not a target for them (especially if MLF is serious about receivers run blocking). If the Packers could swing something and draft Williams, that would be HUGE for the offense. Think MVS top-line speed but with an already demonstrated ability to change that speed up.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bit of an aside, but sometimes I kinda feel like talking about WR's blocking abilities can seem kind of like a polite way of saying "He's a mediocre receiver but I'm trying to be polite" - it's like the NFL equivalent of a "bless your heart," lol.

Not saying it's not a factor or not important at all, but I suspect LaFleur (and pretty much any other coach) would rather have an elite pass-catcher with mediocre blocking skills than an elite blocking WR with mediocre pass-catching skills.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like Olave but his weight is below what the Packers have historically picked so I'm thinking he's not a target for them (especially if MLF is serious about receivers run blocking). If the Packers could swing something and draft Williams, that would be HUGE for the offense. Think MVS top-line speed but with an already demonstrated ability to change that speed up.

I hear what you're saying, but it would be weird for me if Olave was off their board (6'0" 187#) but Jameson was a trade up target (6'1" 179#).

Last year, they draft Amari Rodgers who, at 5'9", was technically below what we think of as a weight threshold for them. Same was true of Alexander and his height. I think Gutekunst holds the standards more loosely than TT did.

As to the run blocking, I don't know. If he's going to be on the outside almost all the time, as he was in college, I could see them letting that go.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect Olave to be available at 22, if he was, I'd take him. I think he's a faster Greg Jennings. So smooth in his routes and catching running, and with a better top end.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but it would be weird for me if Olave was off their board (6'0" 187#) but Jameson was a trade up target (6'1" 179#).

Last year, they draft Amari Rodgers who, at 5'9", was technically below what we think of as a weight threshold for them. Same was true of Alexander and his height. I think Gutekunst holds the standards more loosely than TT did.

As to the run blocking, I don't know. If he's going to be on the outside almost all the time, as he was in college, I could see them letting that go.

Williams brings a lot more to the receiving table than Olave. His speed alone is blocking a safety on every run play. Rodgers was on the shorter side but he weighed in at 211lbs so his weight was well within what the Packers have historically liked.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Williams brings a lot more to the receiving table than Olave. His speed alone is blocking a safety on every run play. Rodgers was on the shorter side but he weighed in at 211lbs so his weight was well within what the Packers have historically liked.

I'm not saying that Olave's speed is comparable to Williams', because I know it isn't, but he's also very much a vertical threat.

My point is this-- if you say that the Packers wouldn't take a guy who is 6'0" 187 because of size thresholds, it doesn't make sense to say that they would trade up for a guy who is 6'1" 179. And secondly, before last year, the track record would have said that Rodgers was too short to be a Packer. And then he was a Packer.

If you don't care for Olave's game, that's fine. I get the concerns. I've struggled with him all the way through. But I don't think he will be disqualified based on size.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One last stab, with trades, before we get going:

Trade #22 and #59 for #14

1.14: C. Olave, WR, OSU-
Packers jump up to get a receiver before the run is over; Olave isn't a perfect fit in terms of physicality, but he beats press, separates vs. man, wins vertically, and has reliable hands-- all qualities that help replace what was lost in Adams and MVS.

Trade #28 for #40 and #72

2.40: J. Paschal, ED/DL, UK-
The Packers need quality edge depth and some interior pass rush juice; Paschal offers both.

2.53: L. Chenal, LB, WISC- Immediate upgrade next to Campbell and complements him with downhill play style.

3.72: N. Cross, S, MAR- Safety depth and future need addressed in an uber talented, young prospect.

3.92: S. Rhyan, OL, UCLA- College tackle with good agilities and run blocking skills who probably moves inside.

4.132: D. Malone, ED, WKU- Lighter speed rusher to enhance edge depth.

4.140: E. Uwazurike, iDL, ISU- Freakishly long interior defender.

5.171: V. Jones, WR, TENN- Over-aged prospect with great ST value.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying that Olave's speed is comparable to Williams', because I know it isn't, but he's also very much a vertical threat.

My point is this-- if you say that the Packers wouldn't take a guy who is 6'0" 187 because of size thresholds, it doesn't make sense to say that they would trade up for a guy who is 6'1" 179. And secondly, before last year, the track record would have said that Rodgers was too short to be a Packer. And then he was a Packer.

If you don't care for Olave's game, that's fine. I get the concerns. I've struggled with him all the way through. But I don't think he will be disqualified based on size.

I like Olave. If the packers were going to ignore their historical size threshold i just think it would be for a player with other elite skills. Olave will be a good #2 receiver but i think he ends up playing slot more than outside in the NFL; he’s great running routes and catching the ball but he just lacks something when it comes to making defenders miss. This was not intended as an anti-Olave post. He’d easily be the packers best receiver this year if that’s who the team drafts.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like Olave. If the packers were going to ignore their historical size threshold i just think it would be for a player with other elite skills. Olave will be a good #2 receiver but i think he ends up playing slot more than outside in the NFL; he’s great running routes and catching the ball but he just lacks something when it comes to making defenders miss. This was not intended as an anti-Olave post. He’d easily be the packers best receiver this year if that’s who the team drafts.

He certainly isn't elusive after the catch.

I don't care what you call him-- a #1 or #2 or whatever-- to me, it's more about the skills he or any other player brings to the table. And in Olave's case, if you're not going to create a lot of YAC then your depth of target better be pretty high. And in his case, it certainly is. I disagree about him being a slot at the next level. I think that's the opposite of how he projects.

If you gave me a choice between Williams or Olave, I would take Williams for sure.

But I think Williams goes top 10, and the Packers could probably trade up and get Olave in the teens and there's even the outside chance he falls to them.

So relative to cost to acquire, I look at them pretty similarly.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of late smoke in the mocks around the Packers and Quay Walker.

It would be surprising to see them take an off-ball linebacker given their tendencies, but I wouldn't mind it.

If you just think about their starting lineup in the nickel, the LB spot next to Campbell is far and away the weak link of the defense. They need depth elsewhere absolutely, but that's really the only place on the defense that they could absolutely use an upgraded starter.

Perhaps they'd be willing to go off-brand and take a guy really high at that position as they're in "win now" mode-- the bigger the immediate impact, the better. And perhaps Barry, given his background, has suggested that two strong starting linebackers are what he needs to take the defense to the next level.

If they were to do that, Quay would easily be the choice for me, even over Lloyd. He's almost two years younger and a better athlete who showed out at a higher level of football.

I haven't seen this smoke, but I'll be happy if any of my Georgia boys make the team. However, if there's a lot of smoke on Quay, I wonder what their linebacker rankings look like overall. If they're going to buck the trend of taking an ILB early, would they take Lloyd if he slips? I think both of them have flexibility to be used inside and outside and maybe that's why they're interested. Someone that can be used like Parsons... interesting for sure.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I haven't seen this smoke, but I'll be happy if any of my Georgia boys make the team. However, if there's a lot of smoke on Quay, I wonder what their linebacker rankings look like overall. If they're going to buck the trend of taking an ILB early, would they take Lloyd if he slips? I think both of them have flexibility to be used inside and outside and maybe that's why they're interested. Someone that can be used like Parsons... interesting for sure.

I doubt it on Lloyd. He'll be 24 for almost his entire rookie season. In a loaded linebacker class, I would think they would find someone younger.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't know if it'd be this specifically (or those players), but I'd like to see this happen tbh - move up from 22 in the first to get "your guy" then trade back down from 28 into a higher 2nd.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One last stab, with trades, before we get going:

1.14: C. Olave, WR, OSU-
Packers jump up to get a receiver before the run is over; Olave isn't a perfect fit in terms of physicality, but he beats press, separates vs. man, wins vertically, and has reliable hands-- all qualities that help replace what was lost in Adams and MVS.

2.40: J. Paschal, ED/DL, UK-
The Packers need quality edge depth and some interior pass rush juice; Paschal offers both.

2.53: L. Chenal, LB, WISC- Immediate upgrade next to Campbell and complements him with downhill play style.

3.72: N. Cross, S, MAR- Safety depth and future need addressed in an uber talented, young prospect.

3.92: S. Rhyan, OL, UCLA- College tackle with good agilities and run blocking skills who probably moves inside.

4.132: D. Malone, ED, WKU- Lighter speed rusher to enhance edge depth.

4.140: E. Uwazurike, iDL, ISU- Freakishly long interior defender.

5.171: V. Jones, WR, TENN- Over-aged prospect with great ST value.
I like this! You know I love Paschal and I was listening to Brett Kollmann and he's extremely high on Uwazurike's potential especially late. From the tape that's available and the Iowa State games I watched last year, he has the potential to be something special. He's unbelievably strong.

One thing that I've noticed about Paschal and Big George... neither have ideal arm length and we deal with that already with Lowry. I think they're obviously both better players than Lowry though with Paschal being way better against the run.

Jones could be a weapon for sure if he can figure out how to hold onto the ball in inclement weather and is definitely one of my favorite late picks.

I haven't watched Malone though.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love for them to go defense for the 1st round picks. Get that DL/Edge and LB. Make a good defense great/elite. Then in the 2nd go for your WRs. Get OL in 3rd or a Safety. I know we need a WR but it’s very deep and we have a chance at making this D very special

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Found out I had 8 more selections to make. The contest was closed so just for the heck of it I will put them here.
1.Treylon Burks
1. Daxton Hill
1.Trevor Penning
1. George Karlaftis
2. Drake Jackson
2. Christian Watson
2. Bernard Raimann
2. Alec Pierce