Contract offer to CFL Punter

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers tryout CFL punter Ryan
By JIM BENDER - Winnipeg Sun
Thursday, 19 January 2006

Playing it cool - Punter doesn't jump at first NFL offer

Winnipeg, Manitoba - That was quick. Couple of kicks in an NFL camp and a solid contract offer.

Jon Ryan, who set a CFL record for punting average (50.6 yards) with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers last season, worked out for the Green Bay Packers Monday morning and left town with an offer that included a $10,000 US signing bonus, he confirmed from Phoenix, Ari., yesterday.

"They made me the offer right after my workout," said Ryan, 25. "It showed that I impressed them a little bit at least. To get offered a contract so quickly means they think I'm an NFL type of punter anyway."

Ryan, however, was in no rush to ink the pact, as he has another workout scheduled with the Cincinnati Bengals tomorrow.

Although both the New York Giants and Washington Redskins are also reportedly interested, no other workouts have been scheduled, Ryan said.

"My agent, Gil Scott, has been talking to other teams, but nothing has been lined up," he said. "(Scott) told them (Packers) that he would talk to them again on Friday after my workout in Cincy."

Scott has not returned messages left Monday.

While some may deem Green Bay's offer relatively low, Ryan said there is at least a legitimate opening there next season.

"Green Bay told me the position next year was going to be wide open," said the 6-foot, 220-pound Regina native. "So, even if it's not a large signing bonus, at least I'd be competing for an open spot and not against an established veteran."

The Packers have apparently soured on punter B.J. Sander.

If, for some reason, Ryan should decide to pass on the NFL, he will become a CFL free agent in mid-February. He remains Bomber property until then.

The Bombers have left a lucrative offer on the table for Ryan. However, speculation has already started in Regina that the Bombers may be interested in punter/placekicker Paul McCallum, who is also about to become a free agent, should they lose Ryan.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
That makes it offical....BJ Sander was a wasted third round draft choice. Wonder who we could have got with that pick????
Matt Schaub went 3 picks later.
Hammer

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Yea....but can he kick in the cold? :wink: :wink:

Winnipeg, Manitoba <-- click

John Ryans Bio <-- click

... and so on...

THREE BOMBERS NAMED TO CFL ALL-STAR TEAM
11/26/05

Vancouver, BC (Nov. 25, 2005) - The Canadian Football League announced Friday the final selections for 2005 CFL All-Stars.

These all-stars were chosen by 45 voting members of the Football Reporters of
Canada representing each CFL market, a national chapter of FRC voters and each of the CFL head coaches.

Voters were asked to select players from the League whom they believed to excel at their position for the duration of the 2005 CFL regular season.

Please note: awards were tallied based on 58 of 63 respondents who submitted their
selections by ballot deadline.

The 2005 CFL All-Stars Include:

Special Teams

K - Sandro DeAngelis - CGY

P - Jon Ryan - WPG

ST - Corey Holmes - SSK

.....and so on....

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Nov. 10, 2005

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers placed four players on the 2005 CFL West Division All-Star Team, which was announced earlier today.

The four Bomber selections include running back Charles Roberts and slotback Milt Stegall on offence, defensive end Gavin Walls on defence and punter Jon Ryan on special teams.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Ryan sent shivers down the spines of opposing special teams players and coaches every time he stepped onto the field. He led the league in gross punting yards (5,967) and gross punting average (50.6 yards), the latter of which set a new CFL standard. Ryan also led all punters in net punting yards (4,997) and net punting average (42.3 yards).

All-star selections were made by members of the Football Reporters of Canada from each CFL market, a national chapter of FRC voters and each of the CFL head coaches.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy plays for my hometown CFL team and he is an outstanding punter (and believe me, he can kick in the cold and in the wind). October and November games are often in single digits Fahrenheit and Winnipeg is is probably the windiest city in Canada and has a stadium design similar to Ohio State's horsehoe.

We traded our 4th and 5th round pick for the third we used to select Sander (I was hoping that we were moving up for Schaub when we made the trade).

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
That makes it offical....BJ Sander was a wasted third round draft choice. Wonder who we could have got with that pick????
No sense in crying over spilt milk. All that is history.
At least it looks like we are moving in a positive direction in that regard.
I wonder if he can kickoff and or hold for field goals.
His stats are impressive but then Canadian football is a whole different ballgame.
Ten grand ain't much of an initial offer, doesn't even sound serious.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:

DONT BLAME SHERMAN WE ALL KNOW THE PACKERS WERE JUST ONE PUNTER AWAY FROM THE SB!!

/sarcasm off

cdnpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm tellin ya guys, Ryan's a best. We have season tickets here in Winnipeg to go to games, and he definately has an NFL leg. He could probably out kick most NFL punters....the only thing he needs to work on is getting the punts off quicker, and possibly hang time b/c in the NFL thats very important. Leg strength wise though, absolutely no problem there. 8)

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could have taken any player below him with that 3rd round pick.

24 87 B.J. Sander Packers P Ohio State

25 88 Darrion Scott Vikings DE Ohio State
26 89 Matt Ware Eagles DB UCLA
27 90 Matt Schaub Falcons QB Virginia
28 91 Tony Hargrove Rams DE Georgia Tech
29 92 Rich Gardner Titans DB Penn State
30 93 Keyaron Fox Chiefs LB Georgia Tech
31 94 Travelle Wharton Panthers T South Carolina
32 95 Guss Scott Patriots DB Florida
33 96 Landon Johnson Bengals LB Purdue

Fourth Round

1 97 Reggie Torbor Giants DE Auburn
2 98 Shaun Phillips Chargers DE Purdue
3 99 Carlos Francis Raiders WR Texas Tech
4 100 Alex Stepanovich Cardinals C Ohio State
5 101 Demorrio Williams Falcons LB Nebraska
6 102 Will Poole Dolphins DB USC
7 103 Bo Schobel Titans DE Texas Christian
8 104 Isaac Sopoaga 49ers DT Hawaii
9 105 Samie Parker Chiefs WR Oregon
10 106 Luke McCown Browns QB Louisiana Tech
11 107 Kendyll Pope Colts LB Florida State
12 108 Jerricho Cotchery Jets WR North Carolina State
13 109 Tim Euhus Bills TE Oregon State
14 110 Nathan Vasher Bears DB Texas
15 111 Will Allen Buccaneers DB Ohio State
16 112 Leon Joe Bears LB Maryland
17 113 Dexter Reid Patriots DB North Carolina
18 114 Matthias Askew Bengals DT Michigan State
19 115 Nat Dorsey Vikings T Georgia Tech
20 116 Niko Koutouvides Seahawks LB Purdue
21 117 Robert Geathers Bengals DE Georgia
22 118 Anthony Maddox Jaguars DT Delta State
23 119 Mewelde Moore Vikings RB Tulane
24 120 Ernest Wilford Jaguars WR Virginia Tech
25 121 Bruce Thornton Cowboys DB Georgia
26 122 Glenn Earl Texans DB Notre Dame
27 123 Stacy Andrews Bengals T Mississippi
28 124 Michael Waddell Titans DB North Carolina
29 125 Jason David Colts DB Washington State
30 126 Jared Allen Chiefs DE Idaho State
31 127 Richard Seigler 49ers LB Oregon State
32 128 Cedric Cobbs Patriots RB Arkansas
33 129 J.R. Reed Eagles DB South Florida
34 130 Brandon Chillar Rams LB UCLA
35 131 Trey Darilek Eagles G Texas-El Paso
36 132 Adrian Jones Jets T Kansas

RP

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers always bring a a least one or two punters every year to compete with the regular punter into Training Camp. This is nothing unusal. last year Bryce Benekos and one other punter were in Packer training Camp. You knowlegeable Packer fan should know this, if you follow Packer fans follow Packer football closely. That is what Training camp is about. The Packers bring in many players into Training camp , take a look at them and see if they find a good player or players in the group that is a" keeper". I image this year, they will have a few Field goal kickers trying out and some in training camp this year.Unless they can sign Longwell early . Presently Ryan is a free agent and is not a "sure thing" to return .. Last year no Fg kickers was brought in to compete with Longwell.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
Packers always bring a a least one or two punters every year to compete with the regular punter into Training Camp. This is nothing unusal. last year Bryce Benekos and one other punter were in Packer training Camp. You knowlegeable Packer fan should know this, if you follow Packer fans follow Packer football closely. That is what Training camp is about. The Packers bring in many players into Training camp , take a look at them and see if they find a good player or players in the group that is a" keeper". I image this year, they will have a few Field goal kickers trying out and some in training camp this year.Unless they can sign Longwell early . Presently Ryan is a free agent and is not a "sure thing" to return .. Last year no Fg kickers was brought in to compete with Longwell.

Kickers . Punters and QB's are brought in for the simple purpose of an extra leg or arm for practice. Just as Ryan Longwell when he came to GB however with him, as we all know go the starting job because conway got injured and Longwell proved to be worth more than just a 'camp leg' .

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vasher made the pro bowl cause of the return against san fran and the 2 passes my grandma could've picked off from Delhomme. I doubt he keeps making pro bowls. HARRIS SHOULD'VE WENT.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nathan Vasher

:(

I love how the Pack used a 3rd round pick on a Punter. Boy only if he started at RB, CB, DE, WR, LB all at the same time the Pack would have won it all...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fvre4mvp said:
Vasher made the pro bowl cause of the return against san fran and the 2 passes my grandma could've picked off from Delhomme. I doubt he keeps making pro bowls. HARRIS SHOULD'VE WENT.

Nate is their best CB. Vasher does nothing but make big plays.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You can't post this,it makes to much sense.

Oh but let us not forget that Sander was a pick of "The Evil Mike Sherman" it doesn't matter how he did, Mike Sherman never made a right move in all the years that he coached The Packers!!!

Because Mike Sherman picked Sander as his 3rd pick in the 3rd round, 2 years ago, we went 4-12 last year.

I am not going to post Sander's number again, I did it a few weeks ago, bottom line, his net average could have been a little better, but teams averaged less then 6yds per return for the year and not one punt last year had any effect on the outcome of any game.

But hey, get rid of him just like some on this forum want to purge the team of any player Mike Sherman had anything to do with bringing in.

This is TT's team, he was in control of player personal last year, 4-12, looks like a successful formula to keep following.

Longwell wil be one of the many who won't be back, then all the TT worshipers can be happy!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts