Contract offer to CFL Punter

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
This is TT's team, he was in control of player personal last year, 4-12, looks like a successful formula to keep following.!

And he brought all of the 53 players on the roster to GB right?

:moo: :moo: :moo:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Zero -

No he didn't bring in all 53 players, however he didn't do a very go job at plugging the holes on the roster at all. Not a Sherman fan, but every year Sherman tried to fill the known holes, without much luck but at least focused on them. TT last year did bring in some G's, but that was it other than the draft. His draft last year has some hits, some misses and some potential. Collins is the only known player, POP & Murphy looked good until injured. Whit played well but wore down as the year went on. I don't know how others feel, but so far TT is grading a pretty low score. Maybe MM will turn out, to soon to tell, but TT better have a banner offseason or the Packer Nation will really start to heat up.

It will be interesting to see how TT handles the draft picking so high, bets that he trades down to aquire more picks, TT seems like the Quantity type, safe approach.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
fvre4mvp said:
Vasher made the pro bowl cause of the return against san fran and the 2 passes my grandma could've picked off from Delhomme. I doubt he keeps making pro bowls. HARRIS SHOULD'VE WENT.

Nate is their best CB. Vasher does nothing but make big plays.

Wasn't it Vasher that picked off Favre and took it to the house on Christmas Day??? Oh, yeah...we don't talk about that play. I do agree Al Harris had a pro bowl season but unfortunately, good players playing on a losing team do not get recognized like they should.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
tromadz said:
fvre4mvp said:
Vasher made the pro bowl cause of the return against san fran and the 2 passes my grandma could've picked off from Delhomme. I doubt he keeps making pro bowls. HARRIS SHOULD'VE WENT.

Nate is their best CB. Vasher does nothing but make big plays.

I hate to disagree but I would take Tillman over Vasher in a minute.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
Packers always bring a a least one or two punters every year to compete with the regular punter into Training Camp. This is nothing unusal. last year Bryce Benekos and one other punter were in Packer training Camp. You knowlegeable Packer fan should know this, if you follow Packer fans follow Packer football closely. That is what Training camp is about. The Packers bring in many players into Training camp , take a look at them and see if they find a good player or players in the group that is a" keeper". I image this year, they will have a few Field goal kickers trying out and some in training camp this year.Unless they can sign Longwell early . Presently Ryan is a free agent and is not a "sure thing" to return .. Last year no Fg kickers was brought in to compete with Longwell.

You can't post this,it makes to much sense.

Oh but let us not forget that Sander was a pick of "The Evil Mike Sherman" it doesn't matter how he did, Mike Sherman never made a right move in all the years that he coached The Packers!!!

Because Mike Sherman picked Sander as his 3rd pick in the 3rd round, 2 years ago, we went 4-12 last year.

I am not going to post Sander's number again, I did it a few weeks ago, bottom line, his net average could have been a little better, but teams averaged less then 6yds per return for the year and not one punt last year had any effect on the outcome of any game.

But hey, get rid of him just like some on this forum want to purge the team of any player Mike Sherman had anything to do with bringing in.

This is TT's team, he was in control of player personal last year, 4-12, looks like a successful formula to keep following.

Longwell wil be one of the many who won't be back, then all the TT worshipers can be happy!!!!

B.J. Sander is not a bad pick because Mike Sherman took him. It's because he traded up in the 3rd round to take a mediocre-at-best punter. Those 2 picks that were burned up to take him could have actually helped the team. Sherman made some great moves as a GM (Al Harris trade) but this is one of his many mistakes.

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what's with greenbay and kicker/punters named ryan?

k: Ryan Longwell
P: Ryan Flinn
P: BJ Sanders (ok, he doesn't count)
And (hopefully) soon to be
P: Jon Ryan

coincidence? probably.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Zero -

No he didn't bring in all 53 players, however he didn't do a very go job at plugging the holes on the roster at all. Not a Sherman fan, but every year Sherman tried to fill the known holes, without much luck but at least focused on them. TT last year did bring in some G's, but that was it other than the draft. His draft last year has some hits, some misses and some potential. Collins is the only known player, POP & Murphy looked good until injured. Whit played well but wore down as the year went on. I don't know how others feel, but so far TT is grading a pretty low score. Maybe MM will turn out, to soon to tell, but TT better have a banner offseason or the Packer Nation will really start to heat up.

It will be interesting to see how TT handles the draft picking so high, bets that he trades down to aquire more picks, TT seems like the Quantity type, safe approach.

Name the holes, name the player we could have gotten and keep in mind we had little to no cap room to sign anyone.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything here, but seriously the guy had matter of six to seven months to fill all the holes the Packers had and not much cap space to do it. Heck he couldn't afford to keep Wahle or Rivera!! Albeit they got huge HUGE contract offers.

If were in the same place in three years, then the TT did nothing statement is valid, but until then, I feel people need to lay off and let the man do his job. And if you say its your job to doubt his every move or non move, so be it and I don't call that a fan at all.

Again, please name the holes we had and players available to fill them keeping in mind the cap space we had to use thanks to Mr Sherman. (Great guy, bad coach/GM)

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some more news from the Winnipeg Sun 1/21/06:

Ryan two for two
Blue Bombers punter receives second NFL offer

By TED WYMAN, STAFF REPORTER

Two teams, two offers.

Not a bad success rate for punter Jon Ryan.

"Right now I'd say it's going better than planned," Ryan said. "To work out for two teams and get two offers is pretty good."

Ryan, who made a huge impression in the Canadian Football League in two seasons with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, worked out for the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals yesterday.

And, as was the case with the Green Bay Packers earlier this week, the Bengals were immediately prepared to make the Regina native an offer.

BENGALS EXPRESS INTEREST

"They are interested and they are going to put an offer on the table on Monday," Ryan said via cellphone from Cincinnati.

"They are a little concerned about the ankle that I hurt back in October, so they took an X-ray and an MRI. They just want to make sure it's nothing major. It's not bothering me at all."

Ryan, who received an offer that included a $10,000 signing bonus from the Packers, has no more workouts scheduled, although he says some other teams, including the Washington Redskins and New York Giants, have expressed interest.

The 6-foot, 220-pound Ryan can't say if he's leaning toward signing with a particular team until he sees the official offer from the Bengals. However, he was impressed with the situation in Green Bay, where management told him the position is going to be wide open next year.

Ryan, 25, set a single-season CFL record for punting average (50.6 yards) last season with the Bombers.

If Ryan doesn't sign in the NFL, he will become a CFL free agent in mid-February. He remains Bomber property until that time.

The Bombers have a lucrative offer on the table for Ryan.

Even though he is likely to sign somewhere south of the border, Ryan said it won't guarantee him so much as a training camp invitation.

"Not necessarily," he said. "It should get me to a (spring) mini-camp, though."

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
I bet he will be better than Sander !!!

Now wait just a darn minute Chamuko!!! Look at Sander's resume:

1. Shanked punts repeatedly
2. Couldn't control emotions over good punts or shanked ones
3. Dominated in NFL Europe
4. Couldn't hold a football right for Ryan Longwell

OK, you're right....he'll be better than Sander! :wink:

OP
OP
G

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.

another redhead punter lol

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

is it the third?

Bidwell
Flinn

and now Ryan?

OP
OP
G

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jon Ryan (born November 26, 1981 in Regina, Saskatchewan) is a Canadian Football League punter for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He also played for the University of Regina Rams and for the Sheldon-Williams Spartans, a high school located in his hometown of Regina, Saskatchewan.

In 2005, he set a CFL record by averaging 50.6 yards per punt.

In January of 2006 he signed a contract with the NFL's Green Bay Packers. He is only the second Saskatchewan native to make it to the NFL.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind about his gaudy stats is that there is no "K" ball in the CFL. I still think he's a great kicker, but he definitely gets a boost not having to kick a brand new ball each time.

Members online

Latest posts