Comparing 2008 Packers Roster vs 2023 Packers Roster

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your points, believe it or not. I respectfully counter with.
1.IMO, the drafting of Love, as well as the departure of Adams had a lot to do with the change from playing into my 40s and 90% ready to retire.
2. IMO the plan was to use their FA money to sign their own FAs. Alexander, Gary. Jenkins, A. Jones & to keep Adams as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO, the drafting of Love, as well as the departure of Adams had a lot to do with the change from playing into my 40s and 90% ready to retire.

I still don't understand how Rodgers felt that he couldn't continue to play for the Packers, if he was sure that he could beat out Love for the job. Maybe that isn't what threatened him, more that he didn't like the idea that it was an option for the Packers? One which possibly Rodgers forced upon himself with his inability to fully commit from year to year?

As far as Adams goes, sure it was a big loss to the Packers and Rodgers, but he seems happy to be moving on to the Jets, without Adams.

Without looking up the cap situation and reinventing the history in 2020, I am pretty sure that the Packers could have signed a FA WR, to help improve things. Guessing they didn't, because Gute didn't see the need. I don't think it was because he was absolutely tied to keeping enough cap space to resign Adams and others. One thing I have learned in the last 5 years, if the Packers want to shell out money, they can get creative and do it.

EDIT: The Packers did sign Devin Funchess in 2020, but Funchess opted out, due to Covid. Maybe he was the missing SB link?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't understand how Rodgers felt that he couldn't continue to play for the Packers, if he was sure that he could beat out Love for the job. Maybe that isn't what threatened him, more that he didn't like the idea that it was an option for the Packers? One which possibly Rodgers forced upon himself with his inability to fully commit from year to year?

As far as Adams goes, sure it was a big loss to the Packers and Rodgers, but he seems happy to be moving on to the Jets, without Adams.

Without looking up the cap situation and reinventing the history in 2020, I am pretty sure that the Packers could have signed a FA WR, to help improve things. Guessing they didn't, because Gute didn't see the need. I don't think it was because he was absolutely tied to keeping enough cap space to resign Adams and others. One thing I have learned in the last 5 years, if the Packers want to shell out money, they can get creative and do it.

EDIT: The Packers did sign Devin Funchess in 2020, but Funchess opted out, due to Covid. Maybe he was the missing SB link?
I must admit your 1st paragraph has me confused considering your many takes on the off the field Rodgers. TIC.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers saw himself go down to defeat at the hands of Brady. That hurt. Clearly, the Packers should have been in the SB that season. I think he came to the conclusion that he should not have to do it all by himself just as Brady was helped by his team in Tampa and previously in NE. Finding a place that could win with defense may be what he needs.

Reaction score
IMO 1& 2 are not disparaging. 3 is. 4 I would need to see that reply in context. You have explained to us your reasoning, that is much appreciated. I guess I take into account that the individual you are speaking of almost always includes stats along with his posts. I also see that you edited your initial response. I was not going to respond until you did that.
So I would like to Thank You for taking the stand on his behalf. So you personally promoted the incrimination of a post by Captain? Why don’t we further discuss why you say that 1 post Captain had was unfair to Jordan?
Why did you consider the post derogatory or unfair?

Then we can move on to the next one on my list.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Claypool started out just fine in Pitt, I don't know what happened.
He made bank.

That is just a guess, based on the "reports" of people in Chicago saying "Claypool is not somebody who is very self-motivated". Maybe those reports are all that it will take to re-motivate him?

If it is the case, it doesn't surprise me at all. How many NFL players or anyone for that matter, do you hear about coming into a large sum of money and suddenly their lifestyle and choices change? Sometimes for the worse.

Last edited:
Reaction score

As much as we could be a 5-6 Win team, we could also be a 9-10 Win team. Imo it factors more on our Defense than Jordan Love. If our Defense can get in that top 4-8 range, our Offense only needs to really crack top 20 scoring area and we’ll be competitive immediately. That’s an area that might not scare KC etc. but definitely an area that causes all sorts of problems for Weaker NFC and NFC North teams that lower their expectations of us (like what were already witnessing). Let our opponents believe we can’t win a game, that’s a dangerous mentality for our opponent.

The wonderful thing about those that project a Total collapse by the Packers is if we in any way, shape or form roll above the .500 mark? There will be nothing more embarrassing than letting a Rookie QB best them after all the smack. The most dangerous teams are the underdogs that stay relevant (around .500) then unexpectedly start stringing W’s

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Once I came down off of anger mountain, I read up on both Love and Gary. Listened to some pressers of Gute talking about each player. Quickly, I realized why each player was selected and the value of the picks. So far I haven't been disappointed. Gary is looking like he is shaping into a potential Pro Bowl caliber OLB and the Packers now need a starting QB, one they would not have, if Gute had not had the foresight in 2020 that the time for #12 was nearing its end. Hopefully, Love will turn into a great QB and those Packer fans that are still on top of anger mountain, will finally see the light. Even if Love doesn't pan out, I will always understand the pick and the risk of the investment into a QB, that could end up being another FHOF player.

You're acting as selecting Love in the first round of the 2020 draft was the only way for the Packers to secure a starting quarterback once Rodgers wasn't around anymore. That's bogus though.

That is how infatuated I was with Pittman...he hasn't become the WR I personally put on him though.

Really? Pittman has put up 2,000 receiving yards over the past two seasons with Wentz, an aging Ryan, Ehlinger and Foles throwing him the ball. In my opinion that's pretty impressive.

So if Love pans out, miracle #4 and if he doesn't, welcome to the NFL and the difficult task of finding a future HOF QB.

That's why smart teams don't spend a first rounder on the position when they already have that HOF quarterback on the roster.

Yup, a no brainer for me. Which is why I believe Gute had Love pretty damn high on his board, maybe top 10-15? I don't deny that at the time, there probably wasn't a "need" at QB or at least not one that fans were aware of. That said, I think Gute thought otherwise, on need and he saw a potential franchise QB slide down the first round, to a point where he could not pass him up. I can't stress this enough. AR was 36 years old, an age that most are done with football by. So scooping up what appeared to be a guy that within 2-4 years might be ready to replace Rodgers, made sense. Those saying "but he wanted to play into his 40's" and "look at him now at 39", should keep in mind that Aaron himself said that he was 90% ready to retire after the 2022 season.

You continue to ignore that the Packers drafting Love was the reason Rodgers got pissed off by the front office which led to him thinking about retirement in the first place.

Calculated move by Gute and yes, not a popular one then or even now with some. Yes, we had "NEEDS" at other positions, but I would have been happier had actual "right now needs" be addressed in Free Agency. Rookies at most positions, especially late 1st round and beyond rookies, don't always contribute a whole lot in year 1. I look at a lot of SB winning teams and they often have older FA vets, that were signed that season. So if you are a SB contender, sign some FA's for immediate needs, but keep drafting for the future.

Again, the Packers didn't have enough cap space to make a splash in free agency in 2020. While it's true that not every prospect selecting late in the first round has a huge immediate impact nearly all of them have more than Love had in his first three seasons.

Do you honestly suggest Rodgers asked for a trade because he felt threatened by Love replacing him as the starter in 2023? :rolleyes:

As much as we could be a 5-6 Win team, we could also be a 9-10 Win team. Imo it factors more on our Defense than Jordan Love. If our Defense can get in that top 4-8 range, our Offense only needs to really crack top 20 scoring area and we’ll be competitive immediately.

I agree the Packers could surprise a lot of people if their defense ends up being one of the best units in the league. Unfortunately I don't have any confidence in Barry being able to make that happen.

D

Deleted member 6794

@captainWIMM

Jordan Love threw more interceptions than that in his last season playing in the MWC”

“Love leading the FBS in interceptions thrown while playing in the Mountain West conference is reason for concern as is him struggling against Power-5 opponents in limited action”

“That depends on if Love can stay ahead of Benkert on the depth chart this season”

“That was another reason selecting Love last year was a head-scratcher.season playing in the MWC”

It just occurred to me I’m not even 1% into the very first thread. This will become exceptionally long very quickly.

Chronological?

By Thread?

In Various Colors intensity representing the increasing levels of Jordan disparagement?

Just Let me know ok

As others have already pointed out the first two posts you quoted include facts and are definitely not disparaging by any means.

I will comment on the other two you mentioned below.

I’m not here to purposely make you or anyone else look bad. Yet @captainWIMM is by and large the most distinguished Anti-Love opponent and it’s not even close. He repeatedly made this request and I’ve repeatedly looked the other way. I’m not the Jordan Love police, but his anti-Jordan posts are repetitive to the point of nauseous. Now Captain forcefully calling me out and by his own admission, repeatedly

If you truly don't want to purposely make me look bad then you shouldn't have taken those posts you quoted above completely out of context. Actually you even edited them to fit your narrative. That seems to have happened on purpose in my opinion.

Let's take a look at the actual posts instead of the ones you quoted without any context. Here's the first one with me discussing with Poker about the release of Blake Bortles two years ago:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It should be pretty obvious that it was meant TIC. Of course you made it look completely different by excluding some pretty important information to understand the context. Did that happen by accident? I don't think so.

Here's how the discussion actually went on the last of your examples for me disparaging Love (happened two years ago as well):

The point I was trying to make was solely on the Packers not being able to take advantage of having a quarterback on a rookie deal. There was no shot at Love being taken. Of course, you withheld that information as well. Once again I wonder if that happened on accident? As mentioned above I have a hard time believing that.

And even for arguments sake why criticize Love. He is just here not really by his choice. If someone wants to criticize go after those that drafted him depending on how he performs. That would be like me criticizing Adrian Klemm and William Whitaker for being the starting guards in 2005. It was not their fault they were stiffs. It was Ted Thompson's fault for putting them there. And rightfully that is who I criticized then and thereon out.

I haven't criticized Love for being drafted by the Packers. Gutekunst is definitely the one to blame.

IMO 1& 2 are not disparaging. 3 is. 4 I would need to see that reply in context. You have explained to us your reasoning, that is much appreciated. I guess I take into account that the individual you are speaking of almost always includes stats along with his posts. I also see that you edited your initial response. I was not going to respond until you did that.

Well, while #3 could be considered to be disparaging if I said it in the way OldSchool suggested you can see it was meant TIC as posted above. #4 wasn't even about Love in the first place.

So I would like to Thank You for taking the stand on his behalf. So you personally promoted the incrimination of a post by Captain? Why don’t we further discuss why you say that 1 post Captain had was unfair to Jordan?
Why did you consider the post derogatory or unfair?

I guess Schultz considered the post to be unfair or derogatory because you made it look as it would fit your narrative.

Last edited by a moderator:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As others have already pointed out the first two posts you quoted include facts and are definitely not disparaging by any means.

I will comment on the other two you mentioned below.

If you truly don't want to purposely make me look bad then you shouldn't have taken those posts you quoted above completely out of context. Actually you even edited them to fit your narrative. That seems to have happened on purpose in my opinion.

Let's take a look at the actual posts instead of the ones you quoted without any context. Here's the first one with me discussing with Poker about the release of Blake Bortles two years ago:

It should be pretty obvious that it was meant TIC. Of course you made it look completely different by excluding some pretty important information to understand the context. Did that happen by accident? I don't think so.

Here's how the discussion actually went on the last of your examples for me disparaging Love (happened two years ago as well):

The point I was trying to make was solely on the Packers not being able to take advantage of having a quarterback on a rookie deal. There was no shot at Love being taken. Of course, you withheld that information as well. Once again I wonder if that happened on accident? As mentioned above I have a hard time believing that.

I haven't criticized Love for being drafted by the Packers. Gutekunst is definitely the one to blame.

Well, while #3 could be considered to be disparaging if I said it in the way OldSchool suggested you can see it was meant TIC as posted above. #4 wasn't even about Love in the first place.

I guess Schultz considered the post to be unfair or derogatory because you made it look as it would fit your narrative.
Blame Gute AFTER Love gets his fair shake if you choose. Not before and not until. The Packers still were among the league's elites in 2020 and 2021 after Love was on the roster. Unlike those Packer units the 2005 team needed help in LOTS of places. Drafting a 1st round QB was the last thing we needed then. We had a QB that NEVER missed a start. Yet no one railed Thompson for picking Rodgers the way you rail Gute for picking Love.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Pittman has put up 2,000 receiving yards over the past two seasons with Wentz, an aging Ryan, Ehlinger and Foles throwing him the ball. In my opinion that's pretty impressive.

Oh don't get me wrong he as been good, more than good in many ways...but I'll be honest I had him coming into the league and being the new Jefferson or Chase type guy truthfully.

I will forever hang my hat on Pittman as the one guy I think Gute missed on...but to be fair if Love proves to be an NFL caliber QB I will concede defeat LOL

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he had Love much higher than anyone else on their board. I am a believer in need playing a factor when guys are close, and if you don't believe me ask Old fan, Amish and Poker, I did not consider QB a need at that time.

There have been sources that say we had Love in or very close to top 10 on our board.

Reaction score
Blame Gute AFTER Love gets his fair shake if you choose. Not before and not until. The Packers still were among the league's elites in 2020 and 2021 after Love was on the roster. Unlike those Packer units the 2005 team needed help in LOTS of places. Drafting a 1st round QB was the last thing we needed then. We had a QB that NEVER missed a start. Yet no one railed Thompson for picking Rodgers the way you rail Gute for picking Love.
Those were the first 4 of

Reaction score
Those were the first 4 of at least 50+ and in consecutive order. I can move on to the next 4. Then you can tell us all the excuses again. Does 4 negative posts by you per day concerning Jordan give you sufficient time to organize your verbose defense? I ask because that was an extremely long answer. Coming from me that isn’t good! I’m the honorary Chairperson of VERBOSE! Lol
If I can’t finish reading a response?? it’s very problematic. I’ll tell you what… let’s keep it to 3 per day.

Just tell me when to stop and I will. You said I couldn’t offer evidence of repetitive and consecutive, negative posts about Jordan and to the point you are belligerent about demanding these. I’m just getting primed it’s the tip of a very large iceburg. There’s a Ton of cold ice and don’t you go deleting/Melting any.:laugh:

Last edited:
Reaction score
“Cobb completely bailed out Love on that 35-yard completion. That was a bad throw that gets picked off more often than not”
I’m not making excuses for Jordan, he needs to tighten up his game. However in 14 of 34 attempts he had an unblocked pass rusher? That’s speaks volumes to me.

“Love not being able to set the protection correctly is partly to blame for it though”
“Of course a receiver must make a play for a pass to be completed as well but that doesn't mean the quarterback should throw a lot of passes up for grabs”

(Exaggeration) Define “”a lot” of passes up for grabs””??

“There's absolutely no reason to play Love against the Rams as Rodgers gives the team by far the best chance of winning it. “
Rodgers isn't healthy and has limited mibility. Against the Rams D line wuth a patchwork O line, Rodgers may take a beating.
“In addition playing scared is a recipe for disaster as well.”

“If Rodgers mobility is limited because of the toe injury the Packers need to come up with a game plan to protect him from taking a beating.
That's not a valid argument to rest him [
Aaron] though”

This was a series of posts around #610 (2021) with your repetitive opinion that we should play an injured Rodgers. Then recently just several weeks (2023) ago you claim playing Rodgers when he’s injured (thumb) is an indicative of Jordan being a terrible QB this last season.
Essentially you strongly advocate for Love NOT to play (repeatedly) when Aaron is injured, then when Love doesn’t play for an injured Rodgers last year…. You indict him for it. You even go as far as to say that Love obviously is worse healthy than Rodgers is with a broken bone in his throwing hand!

Explain why you take both opposing sides of the same injury argument??

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“Cobb completely bailed out Love on that 35-yard completion. That was a bad throw that gets picked off more often than not”

“Love not being able to set the protection correctly is partly to blame for it though”
“Of course a receiver must make a play for a pass to be completed as well but that doesn't mean the quarterback should throw a lot of passes up for grabs”

“There's absolutely no reason to play Love against the Rams as Rodgers gives the team by far the best chance of winning it. “

“If Rodgers mobility is limited because of the toe injury the Packers need to come up with a game plan to protect him from taking a beating.
Aaron] though”

This was a series of posts around #610 (2021) with your repetitive opinion that we should play an injured Rodgers. Then recently just several weeks (2023) ago you claim playing Rodgers when he’s injured (thumb) is an indicative of Jordan being a terrible QB this last season.
Essentially you strongly advocate for Love NOT to play (repeatedly) when Aaron is injured, then when Love doesn’t play for an injured Rodgers last year…. You indict him for it. You even go as far as to say that Love obviously is worse healthy than Rodgers is with a broken bone in his throwing hand!

I see your point about what seems anti Love and pro Rodgers. I am also very pro Rodgers. What confuses me is that he seems to be consistent, he advocates for an injured Rodgers to play over a healthy Love in both cases and uses the fact that MLF made the same decision to justify his stance. What am I missing here?

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers were in a win now mode coming off making it to the NFCCG the previous season in 2020. It didn't make any sense to spend their most precious asset that offseason on a player who won't have any immediate impact. The situation was completely different in 2005 with the Packers being in a rebuild mode it made sense to focus on the future.

As a side note, while I wasn't around on the forum in 2005 Thompson took a lot of heat from fans for drafting Rodgers.

Oh don't get me wrong he as been good, more than good in many ways...but I'll be honest I had him coming into the league and being the new Jefferson or Chase type guy truthfully.

I will forever hang my hat on Pittman as the one guy I think Gute missed on...but to be fair if Love proves to be an NFL caliber QB I will concede defeat LOL

Agreed, Pittman hasn't been an elite receiver but definitely good enough that he would have been the #2 on the Packers as long as Adams was around.

I will concede defeat if the Packers win a Super Bowl with Love. Otherwise I will continue to consider drafting him a mistake.

Those were the first 4 of at least 50+ and in consecutive order. I can move on to the next 4. Then you can tell us all the excuses again.

It's truly sad that you don't understand there's a huge difference criticizing the pick compared to disparaging Love. I have definitely been vocal about not liking the selection a ton of times but as I have mentioned repeatedly I haven't discredited Love at all. I only need to defend myself because of your lame attempt at making it look like I did.

You said I couldn’t offer evidence of repetitive and consecutive, negative posts about Jordan and to the point you are belligerent about demanding these.

Once again, none of the posts you quoted were disparaging Love at all.

Ok, now other posters aren't allowed to criticize a throw by Love anymore? :rolleyes: Take a look at the play and tell me what you truly think about it. In my opinion it was a bad decision by him throwing a wobbler late across his body while being pressured. Cobb adjusted perfectly to it and made a superb catch on a throw that will get picked off a lot at this level.

It was pretty obvious to everyone Love wasn't able to read the Chiefs defense properly that day. Once again, I'm shocked you think that shouldn't be allowed to be pointed out.

Let me ask you a question. Do you honestly suggest Love performed well against the Chiefs? Let's take a look at PFF's grading for him that day (once again, I'm well aware they aren't perfect by any means but good enough for tyni to make a thread about it every single game, therefore I'm going with them on it here as well).

They graded him at 30.0 for his performance against the Chiefs. That is beyond terrible. To put that into perspective, in the past two seasons only seven quarterbacks who started a game earned a worse grade in a game. That list includes such elite players like Colt McCoy, Mike Glennon, Joe Flacco, PJ Walker, Kyle Allen and David Blough.

It's pretty simple, a quarterback shouldn't throw a lot of passes up for grabs. That should be pretty easy to understand. Do you disagree with that statement?

Aaron] though”

That should be pretty easy to understand as well. I wanted the Packers to play Rodgers as long as he gives the team the best chance of winning even when injured. I feel pretty good about when I posted that before the Rams game in 2021 as he went on to throw 16 TDs and zero INTs over the last six games of the regular season after I made that comment.

With him struggling last season with a broken thumb it would have made sense for the team to play Love ahead of him if they deemed he was ready to be a starter. Obviously the coaching staff didn't feel that way though.

In addition, remember that there were reports out there that MLF would have preferred the team to keep Rodgers around for the upcoming season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, Pittman hasn't been an elite receiver but definitely good enough that he would have been the #2 on the Packers as long as Adams was around.

I will concede defeat if the Packers win a Super Bowl with Love. Otherwise I will continue to consider drafting him a mistake.

It is going to take a SB? Something which Aaron-Freaking-Rodgers only did how many times? I get it, but that is quite a high level of having to achieve to have been a good pick - at least we both hope that happens :)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is going to take a SB? Something which Aaron-Freaking-Rodgers only did how many times? I get it, but that is quite a high level of having to achieve to have been a good pick - at least we both hope that happens :)
And that is true. A great QB may not get there but sometimes an average or less than average one gets there. Rex Grossman got there. So did Trent Dilfer. How many times did Marino? Or Joe Namath?

Reaction score
In addition, remember that there were reports out there that MLF would have preferred the team to keep Rodgers around for the upcoming season.
I would’ve initially (several years ago) loved to have Rodgers play for us into his 40’s yrs.
If you recall, somewhere in here we had a thread going where we were guessing when to draft Rodgers :)replacement. I believe it was in the 2018 range? I can’t remember specifics but I believed a healthy Rodgers could be formidable into that 42-44 years old range.
Obviously that was then this is now and we drafted a upper draft QB 1-2 years sooner. Now we just need to get behind him and pray he doesn’t flop.
I will compliment you on one thing. Early on in my historical travels there was a ‘21 preseason game where you lightly defended Love a couple of times against another poster who went rogue. I appreciated seeing that and while it was minimal it made tears well up inside me :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.