Chris Havel " Favre twisting in the Wind"

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taken from another forum - Jan 13th article

Chris Havel
Thompson’s decision leaves Favre twisting in wind

Brett Favre is confused. On Tuesday, Jim Bates telephoned, saying he felt like he had the inside track to be the Green Bay Packers’ next coach. He shared his vision of the team — and Favre’s role within it — with the future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback.

Furthermore, Favre knew Bates and his close friend, Steve Mariucci, shared the same agent. He believed there was a chance Bates might hire the ex-Lions coach to run the offense. Either way, he was excited about the prospect of playing a 16th NFL season.

On Wednesday, General Manager Ted Thompson telephoned Favre and discussed a variety of topics, but the identity of the Packers’ next coach wasn’t among them. Later that evening, sources confirmed to the Press-Gazette that Thompson planned to hire San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy to replace Mike Sherman.

In a few short hours, Favre went from feeling good about returning to being uncertain about his future and the Packers’ intentions.

“Believe me when I tell you that Ted (Thompson) wants Brett back,â€

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I certainly HOPE Thompson did not hire McCarthy mostly to lure Favre back. As I've said before, it would be a very poor decision to hire a coach just because he is well-liked by a player who is on the verge of retirement. Last year Favre took three months to decide if he wanted to play another season, and that was with Sherman still around. During this season he consistently sounded about 50-50 when asked if he would return next year. Imagine if Thompson hired a coach just for Favre and then Favre retired anyway. Where would that leave us?

Brett Favre is one of my all-time favorite players, but if his interests are not the same as the team's, we have a problem. I'm not sure if that's the case anyway. Favre understands that the team comes first and that there will come a day when it's better for him to leave. I think he understands that a lot better than some of his fans do. He is no prima donna. He's not trying to hold the team hostage, as some of his critics have said. He is just going through the same thing all older players go through, weighing his options and deciding whether it is worth it to go through one more annual beating.

At least for now, I take Thompson and McCarthy at their word when they say they want Favre back. But if Favre is looking for a guarantee that Thompson is going to pour all of the team's resources into winning THIS YEAR, I don't think Thompson can honestly give it to him. The team is probably a couple years away from having a legitimate shot at a title. That's the reality. Favre will need to decide if he wants to play this year for a team that is not likely to be a contender, in hopes of having a better shot in 2007.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Q1. Does Favre want to come back?
Q2. Does TT want him to come back?

Interesting how a 4-12 season resulted in Q2 now becoming more important than Q1. I believe the answer to both questions is "NO" and any trip TT makes to Biloxi will be solely for the purpose of announcing the changing of the guard.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, i think i'm gonna get beat for this one but here goes...brett now knows who the HC is - it's time for HIM to make a decision. he said many times that when the game "isn't fun anymore", that's when it's time to go. i don't think tt & mm have to go begging him to stay if that is, in fact, his sole reason for staying or retiring. i mean, either he wants to stay or he wants to retire. sure, i think that they should talk to him but i don't think they need to get down on bended knees either. don't get me wrong, i truly am a "brett-lover" but i am a "packer-lover" first & foremost - it's time to end all the speculation. yes, he's earned the right to take his time & think things over but the team also has to know what direction it's going in. if he's not there, that changes everything!!

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
i don't think tt & mm have to go begging him to stay if that is, in fact, his sole reason for staying or retiring.

Okay, for all those that keep reading "begging" instead of a "sincere request for his return", there is a difference, and a sincere request is not only what Havel has stated but what Brett will need when they have that little chit chat concerning his return.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Okay, for all those that keep reading "begging" instead of a "sincere request for his return", there is a difference, and a sincere request is not only what Havel has stated but what Brett will need when they have that little chit chat concerning his return.
Agreed. Also they need to tell Favre if Rogers is the QB for 2006. Favre sitting on the bench is not where he should be. Not matter how you look at it total honesty is what is needed here. If they want Brett back as the starting QB for 2006 they need to say that, plainly. If they don't want him as their starter in 2006 they need to say that, plainly.

I do agree that Harlan should go along. Make a day of it, play golf or mow Brett's lawn whatever they want to do.

No matter how much I want Brett back it would be much worse for me to have Brett disrespected. I'd much rather those in power say that they want to move on and will do for Brett whatever it takes to make him happy. If that's working out a trade for the best QB ever then so be it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A "recruiting" mission to Mississippi with McCarthy, Thompson, and Harlan sounds a lot like begging to me. I agree with 4packgirl that although Brett has earned the right to take his time and think things over, there has to be a limit to how far out of its way the team goes to try getting him back.

The ball is in Brett's court. If he announced tomorrow that he is going to play another year, does anybody really think that Thompson would not allow him to do so?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys are out of your f@@@ing minds. If it takes begging....do it. If it takes dropping to your knees and swallowing ....do it. Forget if you'd like, but without Brett Favre the last 15 years, you'd still be living in the 70's and 80's you ungrateful ******!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Some of you guys are out of your f@@@ing minds. If it takes begging....do it. If it takes dropping to your knees and swallowing ....do it. Forget if you'd like, but without Brett Favre the last 15 years, you'd still be living in the 70's and 80's you ungrateful ******!

so, i'm an ungrateful ***** now, huh?? as someone of the "fairer sex", i DO find this extremely rude!! when i said i thought i'd get beat up over my post, i certainly didn't expect such low-minded vulgarity. :evil:

having said all that, i never quoted havel saying "begging". it just seems that there are several threads addressing this same issue & that alot here think that "dropping to your knees & swallowing" are requirements to brett's return.

depack - if you had READ my flippin post, you would have seen my reasoning behind the "non-begging"!! they are in brett's own words - "when football isn't fun anymore, that's when i will stop playing." to me, that means no amount of "swallowing or begging" will make much difference. brett is an extremely honest person & expects the same honesty in return. honesty does not equal begging!! some good talks with mm & tt - a little boost to brett's ego are certainly in line just so he knows he is definitely wanted back - anything beyond that is just "fluff" & brett will know it immediately!!

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
A "recruiting" mission to Mississippi with McCarthy, Thompson, and Harlan sounds a lot like begging to me. I agree with 4packgirl that although Brett has earned the right to take his time and think things over, there has to be a limit to how far out of its way the team goes to try getting him back.

The ball is in Brett's court. If he announced tomorrow that he is going to play another year, does anybody really think that Thompson would not allow him to do so?
I couldn't agree more with this poster or Packergirl. This is the Packers, not the Favres. He was a legend and I loved him, but the franchise will survive way beyond him, as it did before him. We'll all be dead and the Packers will probably still be a franchise. Brett has to make up his mind. I think he IS holding the franchise hostage. If he comes back, nobody will disrespect him. He will be the #1 QB even if he clearly can't do it anymore. Until he decides to retire he will be given the football, even if he has a repeat of this year. I only hope McCarthy gives Rodgers some playing time, regardless of Brett's decision, because the organization needs to see if this kid can cut it as the next GB QB. In football terms, Brett is a senior citizen. He won't be around much longer no matter what.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
DePack said:

so, i'm an ungrateful ***** now, huh?? as someone of the "fairer sex", i DO find this extremely rude!! when i said i thought i'd get beat up over my post, i certainly didn't expect such low-minded vulgarity. :evil:

having said all that, i never quoted havel saying "begging". it just seems that there are several threads addressing this same issue & that alot here think that "dropping to your knees & swallowing" are requirements to brett's return.

depack - if you had READ my flippin post, you would have seen my reasoning behind the "non-begging"!! they are in brett's own words - "when football isn't fun anymore, that's when i will stop playing." to me, that means no amount of "swallowing or begging" will make much difference. brett is an extremely honest person & expects the same honesty in return. honesty does not equal begging!! some good talks with mm & tt - a little boost to brett's ego are certainly in line just so he knows he is definitely wanted back - anything beyond that is just "fluff" & brett will know it immediately!!

I must agree with 4Packgirl. That reply is out of line. IMO, you should tone it down.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack: If you try using your brain instead of name-calling and references to ******* acts (a constant theme of yours lately) maybe you can convince a few people. I never thought you would sound this much like chase.

I have tremendous appreciation for what Brett Favre has done for this team for the past 15 years. But that's not what this thread is about. This thread is about what's best for the team NEXT YEAR, and maybe the year after that and the year after that.

No matter how great a player has been, a team should not base its entire operation around that one guy. Judging from comments that Favre has made in the past, I think he knows that as well as anyone. This is not an easy situation. But I'll repeat what I've already said: If Favre announces that he will play another year, does anybody here really think that Thompson wouldn't let him?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
DePack...

They had more "RESPECT" for Elway in Denver...

(This is a new low...of lows on this forum....)

These ingrates "disgust" me...

Screw Reggie White...Screw Brett Favre....what have you done for me lately types....ready to hand everything over to the very UNPROVEN Aaron Rodgers....

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
DePack...

Screw Reggie White...Screw Brett Favre....what have you done for me lately types....ready to hand everything over to the very UNPROVEN Aaron Rodgers....

ok, 66 - where the hell did i ever say that???? YOU said it - NOT me!! i have said over & over again that i am a "brett-lover" but clearly you choose to read most posts how YOU want to - not how they are actually written. and as for this being a new low of lows on this forum - that's laughable at best!!

NOW LISTEN & LISTEN CLOSELY...
brett favre has done more for this team, the city of GB, & for my family personally than any other player in the NFL - i don't want him to retire!!!! i want him to do what he wants to do & i don't believe for one second that having MM & TT begging him to come back is what he wants! yes, he needs to know that he's needed but as i said before - he can spot the BS a mile away - they just need to be honest with him & straightforward.

signed,
a girl *****....oh, & an ingrate too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
P@ck66 said:
DePack...

ok, 66 - where the hell did i ever say that???? YOU said it - NOT me!! i have said over & over again that i am a "brett-lover" but clearly you choose to read most posts how YOU want to - not how they are actually written. and as for this being a new low of lows on this forum - that's laughable at best!!

NOW LISTEN & LISTEN CLOSELY...
brett favre has done more for this team, the city of GB, & for my family personally than any other player in the NFL - i don't want him to retire!!!! i want him to do what he wants to do & i don't believe for one second that having MM & TT begging him to come back is what he wants! yes, he needs to know that he's needed but as i said before - he can spot the BS a mile away - they just need to be honest with him & straightforward.

signed,
a girl *****....oh, & an ingrate too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Feisty! I love it!
You go girl!

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not many can stand up tp 66 like that and get away with it packgirl. As much as I admire your courage ( and stance on Brett for that matter ) :wink: I would not gloat too much on this victory because 66 is a :evil: hombre lol .

Just having fun 66, I love you and the word "Ingrates". :wink:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah any criticisms of favre (to 66)mean that you want favre to retire, you hate GB, favor abortion, and were indeed involved in 9\11

edit - obviously a joke...dont mean to offend..good god. So much for a little fun at pack66s expense.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom, I have grown to love you man but abortions and 911 ? You listen to Art Bell by any chance ?

Note- trom, please ignore this post , too much wine tonight my friend :-? You can just call me winnipeg wino after tonight...geeez the head will hurt in the morning.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Not many can stand up tp 66 like that and get away with it packgirl. As much as I admire your courage ( and stance on Brett for that matter ) :wink: I would not gloat too much on this victory because 66 is a :evil: hombre lol .

Actually not many can stand up to p@ck66 before they get warned about it. It all depends on who you are when you want to start throwing out insults. :roll:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
WinnipegPackFan said:

Actually not many can stand up to p@ck66 before they get warned about it. It all depends on who you are when you want to start throwing out insults. :roll:

yeah thats it...thats pretty ironic coming from you Phil. you fish for arguments all the time, and personally, thats fine with me...within reason of course..

i don't play favorites...and i don't chastise other posters. i just step in when i think a thread starts getting heated. for the most part, i'd like to think we can help govern each other.

pm me if you have an issue and i'll address it as best i can.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with P@ck66 on this one.

Ted Thompson has not laid out a concept or a plan. I would be happy with just an outline.

Taking 8 months to "evaluate" Sherman and extend his large contract and then 4 months to fire him. Only then start looking for a coach but not anyone in particular. Only then firing and clearing of the coaching staff for whoever is on the market.

We are not finding staff to fit a vision we are just finding staff. TED seems to have a misguided notion that he was hired to rescues a dysfunctional franchise. He was hired as GM to gather talented players because the previous GM was not getting enough talent onto the team.

The Packers were not so bad that everything had to be thrown out.

Just wait until you see what is upcoming with the players and free agency. Bretts friends and former teammates are gone. He's been around a long time and the nearest signed player for next year in longevity is Donald Driver. No coach has been around as long. His achievements and sacrifices were not witnessed by them so they don't care.

Why would Brett really want to be with these new guys who have not yet proven trustworthy? This warped concept of having your "own" players will hurt the Packers just to satisfy someones ego. It will hurt more than the poor drafts of 02 and 03 even if it does not include Brett's departure.

Brett is still a top ten QB in the NFL. Getting rid of him provides an excuse for losing. It is the wrong thing to do and it is being done with little thought for "the future". Brett can play for more years than probably McCarthy will be with the team. Throwing away an asset like Brett is wasteful and foolish. Don't say it's Brett decision when much is done to discourage him.

Hang in there P@ck66. You're right.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you can say TT has not laid out a plan! You mean because he has the nerve NOT to consult with US first? You REALLY think he doesn't know which way he is going? I'm sure he does, he just hasn't told the "laypeople" yet. He's made it clear that he wants Favre back, but I agree 100% with 4packgirl..........Favre stated clearly, he will stop playing when it stops being FUN! Has it reached that point yet? ONLY HE knows, and he isn't telling! I see people on here insulting her, because she stated the fact that it's BRETTS decision to make, and no amount of begging is going to change it. Do i want Favre to retire? NO! But HE needs to tell the Packer leadership HIS intentions too, so they can decide what THEY have to do, what they have to work with next year. Now, Favre COULD put the ball in TT's court by saying "I want to come back, but they haven't said they want me back." That would put it squarly on TT. But as far as i have seen TT and the new coach stated PUBLICLY they want him back, so whats the problem? Favre needs to tell the team if he IS returning or not, well before the draft, if the team is going to try to put together a winner for this coming season, or if they have to completely rebuild.
Depack.........calling us "ungreatful ******" is WAY out of line, PERIOD. And Pack66 is way over the edge on this too in my view. 4packgirl NEVER said she didn't appreciate Favre, or what he has done. You guys act like it's up to HER if he returns or not. And if he doesn't return, you gonna attack her again, and say it's HER fault, because she DARED to bring up FAVRE'S OWN WORDS!?!? I think you guys must need some anger management classes to lash out at people like that. If she would have said "Favre's no good, never did anything for the Packers" THEN i could see this kind of abusive attack. But there's NO way she deserved that. Show a little class next time. If the person deserves it is one thing, but theres no way she deserved that treatment. Just because someone has a different view on something then you do doesn't mean they are ungreatful ******. (The funny part is, she has the same opinion as you, she wants FAVRE BACK! She just stated it's HIS decision to make! and YOU took it too the extreme like she didn't appreciate what he's done.......geez, talk about reading something that isn't there!)
If you want to "go off" on me, go ahead. I give respect to those that give respect to me.........and vice versa.