can't believe squeeler fans complaining about refs

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The forum I am on hasn't heard a word about that.

The game was pretty well called. There were two blown calls, one against the Steelers in the first half, that ended in a pretty good play for the Pack, and that facemask call, that ended in a pretty good return for the Steelers.

There were smaller things, but they happen all the time, our LB's, especially Harrison gets held on almost every play-mainly due to the fact that he is so short, and the tackles arms end up slipping up around his neck.

I am sure if I went back and watched, I could find a number of similar things that happened to the Packers that wasn't called.

In the end, the refs called it right, they let the game go on. There were questionable late hits on Ben, but also on Rodgers. The refs let them play. That is how football is SUPPOSED to be played.

I just hope Good-deal actually watched. Then again, I do think he is more worried about protection the Marsha Brady's and Mannings of the league... the ones that throw the ball everywhere and make the game supposedly "exciting" for the (football) uneducated fan-because the more fans, the more money. Sadly, that is his bottom line.

How in the world did I get on Rodger Good-deal? :icon_eek:

It was a fairly reffed game overall, and that is better IMO, than a well reffed game, though this one was pretty much both.

+1000 ! it was give and take not a one sided biased group of officials. That being said Steelers gave us and the fans a game to remember! GO PACK GO ! ! !

:chisux::chisux::chisux:

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that the officiating was the best, but it did seem to even out.

What I found funny about the Squeelers complaining is that most of them started making claims that the NFL is fixed. I don't understand why they'd say that, since they are one of the most successful teams in the last decade. So claiming the NFL is fixed indicates that their greatness is all a sham.

Kind of stupid, really.

Am glad the actual team weren't poor sports about it. That actually surprised me. (Since Ben's a jerk)

steelersbabex25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My two cents is that that Steelers' organization and it's fans are first class. I've been watching football pretty much as long as it's been on TV and you don't hear the kind of tone from the losing team as we've seen this year.
I suppose it's because the Steelers are winners and they've put up with it from other fanbases all these years. I gotta tell you, Mike Tomlin did it right, he didn't whine one iota, he just said the Packers played a heck of a game.
You just don't hear that anymore. Mostly you hear the losing team didn't play a good game. I like Tomlin's position, they didn't play a bad game, they are a great football team, they just didn't play as good as the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.
I was shocked at how the Steelers all manned up. Lots of mojo in that city, I expect they will be back.
All the more reason as a Packer fan to revel in this victory, we beat the next best football organization in the NFL. Just as it should be.

It's comments like this that make it really hard to hate you guys...

The Steelers fans have the refs to thank for their first Super Bowl with Big Ben so...they need to ****

And it's comments like this that make it really easy.

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where I noticed a lot of the whining was on the NFL sites.

You know, the comments under the "game central" or whatever it's called.

Those comment fields are kind of a cesspool for flaming, though.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I'm more amazed the number of Steelers fans who AREN'T complaining. My God, if it happened in a Bears game they would STILL be howling about it.

Steelers fans seem way more classy than Bears fans.

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franchise; screw the TO's if Jordy, Jones, and Swain don't drop those balls GB wins by 30!! Choklesberger has sucked in 2 of the 3 Super Bowll games he played, so why did they expect againstone of the best pass defenses in the league that he would do well!

Pack88

steelersbabex25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franchise; screw the TO's if Jordy, Jones, and Swain don't drop those balls GB wins by 30!! Choklesberger has sucked in 2 of the 3 Super Bowll games he played, so why did they expect againstone of the best pass defenses in the league that he would do well!

Pack88

If we had a competent offensive coordinator we would have run it down their throats.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Hard to run the ball down 14-0 or 21-3. You can't blame that on Arians.
Yeah, the best situation for the Steelers would have been to have gone up by 7 first, then just use Mendenhall for what he is. Unfortunately for them, we did exactly what we needed to do, which was go up by alot, very quickly, to put it on Roethlisberger.

steelersbabex25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to run the ball down 14-0 or 21-3. You can't blame that on Arians.

100% I can blame it on him. You have a running back who's been running like a man possessed all through the playoffs, and a quarterback who is the very reason that you're down 14-0 or 21-3, with a beat up receiving corps. Running the ball 14 times? That's ridiculous.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
100% I can blame it on him. You have a running back who's been running like a man possessed all through the playoffs, and a quarterback who is the very reason that you're down 14-0 or 21-3, with a beat up receiving corps. Running the ball 14 times? That's ridiculous.

And I'll just reiterate what I said - running the ball when down a few scores does nothing but force a change in your offensive plans. Plus, with Green Bay's secondary getting decimated with injuries, the Steelers O took advantage of that and almost came back to win. Bruce Arians din't throw that Pick 6, nor Ben's other pick, nor did he fumble the ball giving the Packers good field position.

Your team was good enough defensively and offensively to get to the SB - they just ran into a team that was better on both sides o the ball. That's all. It happens. :)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I'll just reiterate what I said - running the ball when down a few scores does nothing but force a change in your offensive plans. Plus, with Green Bay's secondary getting decimated with injuries, the Steelers O took advantage of that and almost came back to win. Bruce Arians din't throw that Pick 6, nor Ben's other pick, nor did he fumble the ball giving the Packers good field position.

Your team was good enough defensively and offensively to get to the SB - they just ran into a team that was better on both sides o the ball. That's all. It happens. :)
An opposing fan, coach or team member will always blame it on something else.
Mistakes, refs, luck etc.
It's never "The other team played better than us today."

steelersbabex25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And I'll reiterate what I just said. FOURTEEN RUSHES. That's an average of 3.5 rushes PER QUARTER. 3 rushes a quarter? 3? That means that even before the Steelers were down Mendenhall wasn't rushing at all. There's never an excuse for that when you have him running like a mad man all game. That, in a nutshell, is Bruce Arians. Down 7-0? Time to panic, let's give Ben the ball and let him throw 50 times even when he's been over throwing receievers all day. I know as a Packers fan, you probably don't follow the Steelers or their offense very much, but Bruce Arians could possibly be the worst offensive coordinator that the Steelers have ever had. Look up the draw play in the endzone vs the Jets. WHO DOES THAT?

If you read my other posts you would see that I actually did say that the Packers were the better team..sooooo..

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score

I do have to say Mike Tomlin seemed to understand what happened when the game was over. That was about as stand-up as I've seen, post-game. He completely gave it up to the Packers.

I appreciated that a lot.

Some fans, on the other hand...

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
And I'll reiterate what I just said. FOURTEEN RUSHES. That's an average of 3.5 rushes PER QUARTER. 3 rushes a quarter? 3? That means that even before the Steelers were down Mendenhall wasn't rushing at all. There's never an excuse for that when you have him running like a mad man all game. That, in a nutshell, is Bruce Arians. Down 7-0? Time to panic, let's give Ben the ball and let him throw 50 times even when he's been over throwing receievers all day. I know as a Packers fan, you probably don't follow the Steelers or their offense very much, but Bruce Arians could possibly be the worst offensive coordinator that the Steelers have ever had. Look up the draw play in the endzone vs the Jets. WHO DOES THAT?

Ya all had over 100 yards rushing in that game. Mendenhall isn't your only rusher...

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
R. Mendenhall 14 63 1 17
Roethlisberger 4 31 0 18
I. Redman 2 19 0 16
M. Moore 3 13 0 7

Compare that with your opponent:

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
J. Starks 11 52 0 14
A. Rodgers 2 -2 0 -1

No, a lack of a run game didn't lose that game for you. not at all. in fact, if you had run more, you'd have probably lost by more than you did, with no chance to potentially win at the end because you'd have been out of time.

But, if it helps you to sleep at night blaming your OC, rather than teh opposing teams' defense, knock yourself out :)

steelersbabex25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya all had over 100 yards rushing in that game. Mendenhall isn't your only rusher...

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
R. Mendenhall 14 63 1 17
Roethlisberger 4 31 0 18
I. Redman 2 19 0 16
M. Moore 3 13 0 7

Compare that with your opponent:

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
J. Starks 11 52 0 14
A. Rodgers 2 -2 0 -1

No, a lack of a run game didn't lose that game for you. not at all. in fact, if you had run more, you'd have probably lost by more than you did, with no chance to potentially win at the end because you'd have been out of time.

But, if it helps you to sleep at night blaming your OC, rather than teh opposing teams' defense, knock yourself out :)

That's 5 yards a carry for Rashard. 2 weeks before that he rushed for well over 100 yards against one of the leagues top rushing defenses and, no offense, the Packers rush defense was not among one of the premier in the league. There's no way in the world that you can convince me that it was okay to run one of the leagues top rushers only 14 times in the superbowl. No way.

You also aren't putting into perspective the rest of the players. Ben Roethlisberger, until late in the game, was absolutely abysmal. The man couldn't hit the broad sign of a barn. He was under throwing receivers, over throwing receivers, throwing too far in front, throwing too far behind, and he was standing behind a busted offensive line that caused him to run around like a chicken with his head cut off for atleast 50% of the plays. On top of that, you have your #3 receiver go down early in the game, and your #2 receiver couldn't find his way out of a paper bag, let alone find any weaknesses in the Packers secondary.

My point is, you can't just look at it as "oh, they were down 3 scores so they had to pass every down." That's not how it works. You play to your strengths, something that Bruce Arians does not know how to do. The run is working, he starts to pass. The pass is working, he starts to run. Everytime (which was only 4 or 5) during the regular season that Arians had Ben throw a quick slant to Mike Wallace, the pass went for atleast 20 or 30 yards, if not for 7. Did we see any quick slants to Wallace in the playoffs? I can not remember one. Passing on 3rd and 2 when you have Isaac "Redzone" Redman standing on the sideline? Inexcusable.

As a Packers fan, it's really easy to sit there and say that passing for almost every snap after the Steelers were down was the right thing to do. Us Steeler fans see it much differently, and we've seen all too much of Bruce Arians to let it slide that easily.

PS. I dare you to watch any Steeler game from the regular season, or even from the post season in that matter. I guarantee you, you'll be scratching your head for atleast 1/3 of the offensive play calls...ex:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jpFrWdJFg&feature=related"]YouTube - Jets vs Steelers saftey in 4th quarter 22-17[/ame]
A draw play from your own endzone, WITH your weakest running back. You'd have to be an absolute idiot to call a play like that.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
PS. I dare you to watch any Steeler game from the regular season, or even from the post season in that matter. I guarantee you, you'll be scratching your head for atleast 1/3 of the offensive play calls...ex:
YouTube - Jets vs Steelers saftey in 4th quarter 22-17
A draw play from your own endzone, WITH your weakest running back. You'd have to be an absolute idiot to call a play like that.

I watch Steeler games during the regular season all the time. Pats@Steelers is usually my favorite. :happy0005:

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Imagine how Viking fans would be whining if they lost. Steeler fans are legit. I don't take anything I read on NFL.com seriously. 14 year old's trying to one up each other in smack most of the time.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts