Brian Gutekunst new Packers GM

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I mean I agree. I know it harkens back to "no link=not true" or "pics or didn't happen." However, I was on to something.

And I was right about Wolf being furious and he was going to be immediately on the way out.
You were right about him leaving, but the part about him being 'furious' is totally unsubstantiated. If you have a source that told you what was going on and you trust that source, more power to you. But you cannot expect for others to give you credit for something you said that has zero foundation.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I mean I agree. I know it harkens back to "no link=not true" or "pics or didn't happen." However, I was on to something.

And I was right about Wolf being furious and he was going to be immediately on the way out.

Can you see how some of us question you, even now you are adding "Going to be immediately on the way out".

Again, all I could find that you said was the following...and sorry......but that isn't much of a prediction on your part....with or without inside information that you can't divulge. ;)

Wolf is reportedly furious

H

HardRightEdge

"Break even on their hobby"? Are you seriously saying that you believe the ridiculous reports that major sports teams LOSE money over the long run? Did you not just see how much the Marlins in baseball just sold for? One of the worst franchises in pro-sports?

It's weird that only in sports does the average fan root FOR the billionaire at the expense of the guy that has worked his entire life to make it. I honestly can't think of any other industry where the average person believes that someone who has overcome all the odds to make it should be held down by the insanely wealthy person.
I know of a billionaire who bought and built a whole bunch of golf courses, poured hundreds of millions of dollars into them, and still loses money on them. He loves golf. They are nice places to host his rich buddies and brag about all the money he doesn't actually have. That does not make it a good business.

Somebody just paid $400 million dollars for a Leonardo painting of dubious provenance and condition. That does not make it a good investment or a good painting.

And baseball is the worst place to make your case, where a $150 million guaranteed is paid for arm that could blow up tomorrow.

You can say whatever you want about the price of the Marlins, but nobody yet has figured out a way to make money off that franchise. Sports franchise ownership is a prime example of the ego involved when somebody who achieved success in one realm thinks they can achieve equal success in another. Being a Hall of Fame shortstop or a software mogul is no credential for running a ball club.

Sure, there are a few sports franchises that are highly profitable, but they are exceptions not the rule.

Jacksonville doesn't play in London because it's fun; it's because they struggle to fill seats. Oakland isn't moving to Las Vegas because they were making decent money in Oakland. The league in the aggregate makes a decent return but not any better than an average Fortune 500 company of comparable size of around $14 billion in revenue, which in the great scheme of things isn't all that big.

Players should be thankful these owners mix ego into the equation. Warren Buffett's cool and collected financial analysis would tell him not to touch one of these things.

I don't root for billionaires. I don't root for players to make more money. It's an ecosystem with unions and negotiations. He who negotiates best wins. Should players get better disability and pension programs? Perhaps, and that's up to the union to go get.

And frankly, what goes on in the NFL isn't that much different than what goes on in other businesses where you have a high concentration of highly competitive and highly compensated positions, like a high end law firm or a boutique investment bank. If you win cases and bill hours and earn partner, great. If you don't, get out. If your investments make money and earn fees, you get the bonus. If you lose money, get out.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Yet, you didn't predict it. You were in denial and still are. I called it, you didn't. I got sources. Wolf wasn't going to be subservient to McCarthy.
So, how do you define "subservient"? It looks like a horizontal dotted line to me. Do you think Gutekunst could fire McCarthy without making the case to Murphy and getting his approval? Evidently not and I'd agree. Conversely, do you think McCarthy could fire Gutekunst in some foreseeable future? Again, he'd have to make his case to Murphy somewhere down the road, who for the time being is the de facto GM given how hands-on he seems to want to be.

There's a question you did not answer.

If Wolf did not like the idea of not having full GM powers, then why did he bolt to Cleveland in a lateral move where he still doesn't have those powers? Why did Highsmith make the lateral move to Cleveland? There's Dorsey getting the band back together, of course.

But the kicker is that Cleveland is a personnel man's dream; Green Bay is not.

Cleveland is a tear down and rebuild. Green Bay is tweeking at the margins in comparison.

Cleveland has got a bunch of good picks in the upcoming draft. They've got $110 million in cap space. Dorsey turned over the entire bench in his first year in KC and there's reason to believe there will be a house cleaning in Cleveland as well. There's going to be a ton of personnel decisions made, not just reports written that just end up in a filing cabinet. And the bar for improvement is so low just about anything you do the first couple of years is a win.

If you're a senior personnel man with GM aspirations, it's hard to think of a better situation to build the reputation. Green Bay? Immediate improvement expectations are high, the cap capital is low, and while the number of picks might be high, the high picks are middle of the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
OK, I'm on record as really uncomfortable with these recent moves within the organization. A Cleveland coach?? Seriously?? Promoting "TT Light" in Gutekunst?? It appears to me that the organization is more concerned about maintaining its "brand" rather than becoming a dominant force with which to be dealt. It seems to me, that, as long as the tickets are sold, it is ok, to just be "good enough" for the Packers. Sorry for the downer. It's just my opinion.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I'm on record as really uncomfortable with these recent moves within the organization. A Cleveland coach?? Seriously?? Promoting "TT Light" in Gutekunst?? It appears to me that the organization is more concerned about maintaining its "brand" rather than becoming a dominant force with which to be dealt. It seems to me, that, as long as the tickets are sold, it is ok, to just be "good enough" for the Packers. Sorry for the downer. It's just my opinion.

Why do people get so caught up in Pettine coaching at Cleveland? So did Belichick. Pettine has a great track record as d coordinator. Also why is Gutekunst TT lite? Considering he says he wants to be more active in FA? Just because you work under someone doesn't mean you are going to be just like him.

This moves could be terrible but people are using some weird lines of logic to not like them.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Why do people get so caught up in Pettine coaching at Cleveland? So did Belichick. Pettine has a great track record as d coordinator. Also why is Gutekunst TT lite? Considering he says he wants to be more active in FA? Just because you work under someone doesn't mean you are going to be just like him.

This moves could be terrible but people are using some weird lines of logic to not like them.

Believe me Pettine is no Belicheat. A .313 record as coach??? C'mon man. As far as Gutekunst, I'll believe it when I see it. He's served under TT and TT is still in an "advisory capapcity". I hope I'm wrong, but you aren't going to see much different in FA than what you have seen the past several years.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe me Pettine is no Belicheat. A .313 record as coach??? C'mon man. As far as Gutekunst, I'll believe it when I see it. He's served under TT and TT is still in an "advisory capapcity". I hope I'm wrong, but you aren't going to see much different in FA than what you have seen the past several years.

Just because you failed to win in the nfl as a head coach doesn’t mean you can’t or haven’t been a successful coordinator. Some people are better suited to different jobs than others. Plus what coach HC has been successful for the browns anyways, Pettine led the browns to the best record in the last 10 years and 3rd best record since 1994. Nobody can win there.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would lay heavy odds that our FA is much different than what we've seen with Ted.

And Pettine wasn't a great HC, but he was a very good DC, so I don't see the problem there.

Don't be so pessimistic.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "Cleveland coach" and "just another TT" type comments truly have to be the most foolish critisms I've seen on this board.

A: not being a great head coach has zero bearing on their ability as a coordinator and if u believe it does then I don't know what to tell you. The only reason they get the jobs in the first place is due to their track record as coordinators. Would you be upset with McDaniels as our OC because of his time in Denver? Hell Philbin flopped in Miami arguably worse then Pettine did in Cleveland but guess what? Last time he was our offensive coordinator we set records

B: Dorsey, McKenzie and Schnieder are all off the same tree as Gutekunst. It's almost as if different people have different visions for building a team once they gain authority. And oh yeah. Gutekunst was hired by Ron Wolf. Acting like he'll be a TT clone because he worked under him is just eye rolling when those same people clamor for Eliot Wolf despite him being an advisor to TT as well. (Fyi if Gutekunst has as much success as TT then that should only be considered a HUGE win with this hire)

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are you a mod here. Tin foil hat time response does not equate to knowing football. Cleveland Coach? I bet the Pats are happy with the fired Cleveland coach they have.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are you a mod here. Tin foil hat time response does not equate to knowing football. Cleveland Coach? I bet the Pats are happy with the fired Cleveland coach they have.
Not to mention the Browns are such a mess that NO coach could be expected to fix their problems in a mere two years. It's also worth noting that since they fired Pettine, they have exactly ONE win.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

No links needed. I have my sources. I called it, I was right. You were wrong. You didn't predict such.

Friendly reminder here mate, if you keep making statements, they are entitled to challenge you to a source. If you choose to continue to not provide these sources it makes your statements look, how can I put it ??, ******* ?. You are in danger of setting yourself up for a clash with some of our big hitters !. Please do yourself a favour and reign it in a bit ;).

I

What has his response got anything to do with being a moderator ?? It`s his opinion and he`s entitled to it even if you disagree.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention the Browns are such a mess that NO coach could be expected to fix their problems in a mere two years. It's also worth noting that since they fired Pettine, they have exactly ONE win.
...so happy that OT victory did not make it two.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has his response got anything to do with being a moderator ?? It`s his opinion and he`s entitled to it even if you disagree.
While I agree with you.... you have to remember that that Moderator status makes the rest if us peons assume you know what you are talking about lol :rolleyes:;):roflmao:

I

While I agree with you.... you have to remember that that Moderator status makes the rest if us peons assume you know what you are talking about lol :rolleyes:;):roflmao:

No mate, moderator status shows we give our time to troll through some of the dross on here so you dont have to and try and keep the peace.;)

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts from personal experiences that are relatable to your apprehensions...

Throughout my teenage years and 20's as an employee, I was part of many very successful businesses. Nearly all of them were managed by individuals who should not have been in a management position. I saw tons of inefficencies, blind loyalty, incompetence, irresponsibility, unprofessionalism, unending excuses, etc. Very similar to the Packers of the past decade.

Throughout those experiences I learned from my superiors' downfalls and made a commitment to move up the ranks and change the culture of the organization(s) for the better. It required a lot of "tongue biting" and *** kissing, but it is what I felt what I needed to do in order to help tye organization achieve it's greatest potential in the long run. Gutekunst could very well be "me" in that regard as well as other coaches and personnel who have been with the Packers for a while. Pettine's "business" experience and personality also seems very similar to mine in that he was with organizations that were set up for failure (held him back) and there was little to nothing gets could have done to create organizational-wide success.

The Packers are on the right track. They have hired personnel who demand nothing less than utmost success. Don't look at who they have worked for or what positions they have held, but rather look at who they are and what they want to accomplish.

We are in store for something special here and I'm glad Wolf is no longer here because his alleged bitter attitude is not what creates growth and success (personal and professional). Rather than cry foul, he should have used this opportunity as a motivational tool to further his work ethic, work performance, and relationships with the Packers.

(I'm expecting a lot of "disagree" reactions, but I've likely been around the proverbial block in a corporate sense more than 90% of the posters here and my resume backs up everything I've said).

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No mate, moderator status shows we give our time to troll through some of the dross on here so you dont have to and try and keep the peace.;)
So what you're saying is being clueless does not preclude one from being a moderator. Correct?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Someday I hope we have a "sarcasm" emoji in here, seems like some people don't understand when a poster is trying to be sarcastic. Part of the fun of sarcasm is the deadpan delivery and not having to point out that you are being sarcastic. For for now, if I think there may be some doubt of my sarcasm, I will continue to use the :coffee: emoji to indicate I am attempting to be sarcastic, .

Happy New Year Everyone!

:coffee:

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Friendly reminder here mate, if you keep making statements, they are entitled to challenge you to a source. If you choose to continue to not provide these sources it makes your statements look, how can I put it ??, ******* ?. You are in danger of setting yourself up for a clash with some of our big hitters !. Please do yourself a favour and reign it in a bit ;).

Thanks, sir. Will do!