Brady is Giving Back

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to add in my previous post. Tom Brady makes new deals and moves his payments around to help his team (which is great) but the Patriots have given Tom Brady every single dime they ever agreed on. He has not given anything back and I doubt he ever will.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to add in my previous post. Tom Brady makes new deals and moves his payments around to help his team (which is great) but the Patriots have given Tom Brady every single dime they ever agreed on. He has not given anything back and I doubt he ever will.

I agree with this, but the main thing that makes this “team-friendly”, is the fact that Brady is *willing* to restructure his contracts as often as he does ... contrary to most other players playing QB, whom are mostly Aiming for those huge record Breaking contracts that cripples their teams in Regards to building for the Coming seasons ...

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The circumstances you are referring to are because of:

1) Its a Well run and lead organisation (Belichick the GM)

2) Its a Well run and lead organisation (Belichick the Coach)

3) They have an Owner who Lets those have employed to take charge, be in charge and who doesnt “meddle” (interfere) too much

4) Players are (more often than not) willing to go further to play for Belichick ...

What they do in Boston isn’t “Luck” ... its a philisophy and one many other teams should try to do more to emulate ...
- And they never “wait” for others ... more often, NE are frontrunners and “trend-setters” than they do the “waiting game” ... if ever ...

I’m glad some one took the time to explain the cap situation about Brady, because I was ridiculed in another thread when pointing that out (without the explanation - as I wrongfully thought most Yanks would know more about that than me a European ... Lol)

The more and more I listen to you, the more I feel you're a New England fan. (I say this playfully. So don't take offense my arch nemesis. ;) ) I don't fault you if you are a fan b/c they are a very well run organization that most should try to emulate to a degree in regards to discipline.

As for luck, I can say without a doubt that they've had a fair share amount of "luck" go there way. Starting with The Tuck Rule, Russell Wilson's int at the 1 yard line, Atlanta not running the ball, etc. I can say they've also had bad luck as well like with losing to the Giants and whatnot. There's always a bit of luck to everything imo. But it's the combination of when the right preparation meeting with the opportunity that is what makes luck, or at least in my eyes. It's not a bad thing to have luck, I feel like people try to make luck a dirty word when it isn't. Luck isn't for losers as people would say. Certainly New England aren't losers.

As for the organization isn't Kraft the leader since he's the owner?

Reaction score
The more and more I listen to you, the more I feel you're a New England fan. (I say this playfully. So don't take offense my arch nemesis. ;) ) I don't fault you if you are a fan b/c they are a very well run organization that most should try to emulate to a degree in regards to discipline.

As for luck, I can say without a doubt that they've had a fair share amount of "luck" go there way. Starting with The Tuck Rule, Russell Wilson's int at the 1 yard line, Atlanta not running the ball, etc. I can say they've also had bad luck as well like with losing to the Giants and whatnot. There's always a bit of luck to everything imo. But it's the combination of when the right preparation meeting with the opportunity that is what makes luck, or at least in my eyes. It's not a bad thing to have luck, I feel like people try to make luck a dirty word when it isn't. Luck isn't for losers as people would say. Certainly New England aren't losers.

There’s a thousand sayings about “luck” but one of my favorites is by someone I’ve followed for 4 decades,
Brian Tracy.
“I’ve found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances. Be more active and show up more often.”

This is one I coined..
“Luck” to me is like the word “coincidence”... but that could certainly be just a coincidence.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score

If that is your definition of Luck ... Then the one Sb The Pack has won with Rodgers was extremely lucky ... :p

- So I cant have respect for a Well run organisation, without being a fan of it ?

- again ... *IF* you had done a minimum of research, you would know which team I am a fan of ... :rolleyes:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that is your definition of Luck ... Then the one Sb The Pack has won with Rodgers was extremely lucky ... :p

- So I cant have respect for a Well run organisation, without being a fan of it ?

- again ... *IF* you had done a minimum of research, you would know which team I am a fan of ... :rolleyes:

- Hmm I can see where you can make that argument, but I think the better team won that game. It definitely could've been a lot more lopsided had some balls not been dropped, so one could argue and can say the Steelers were "lucky" that it was close. ;)

- There's nothing wrong being a fan of another team as well along with your primary. If you're a fan of The Patriots, who am I to judge?

- As for your last comment, alrighty then. :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with this, but the main thing that makes this “team-friendly”, is the fact that Brady is *willing* to restructure his contracts as often as he does ... contrary to most other players playing QB, whom are mostly Aiming for those huge record Breaking contracts that cripples their teams in Regards to building for the Coming seasons ...

Brady agrees to take his money in smaller chunks more often and keeps adding more. Other teams could do the same thing. Its not all on the player. Bedsides it is easier to do when your contracts are three year extensions rather the 5 or 6 year deals. Every three years you change it up a bit, get another big bonus check and help your team out. I am in no way suggesting this is a negative for Brady. In fact its ingenious as it gives the impression he is "giving back" and it helps his image immensely. It also helps when your QB is talented enough to warrant those extensions rather than being considered for replacement two years before his contract is up.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots still have to account for every penny they pay Brady salary cap wise.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fact its ingenious as it gives the impression he is "giving back" and it helps his image immensely.
It's not just an impression, it's just in the way you look at it. On a year to year basis, Brady is taking less, because the contracts he signs are for less than top quarterback pay. But he signs more often, so he ends up making more over time, as his salary tends to follow inflation. It's kind of like the digital sampling of a sound wave.

But it's the year to year salary that counts, because that's what counts against the cap. Unless people are worried about Robert Kraft's wallet, which I doubt.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just an impression, it's just in the way you look at it. On a year to year basis, Brady is taking less, because the contracts he signs are for less than top quarterback pay. But he signs more often, so he ends up making more over time, as his salary tends to follow inflation. It's kind of like the digital sampling of a sound wave.

But it's the year to year salary that counts, because that's what counts against the cap. Unless people are worried about Robert Kraft's wallet, which I doubt.

That's what I said. He takes less money per time but he takes it more often. That is not giving back but he is helping the team by lowering the cap hit and for that I commend him but in reality its the smart move. However, if we take just one aspect of many contract extensions, that of converting salary to a signing bonus. In Brady's case he is scheduled to make 14 million this year in salary in 2019. If they convert 12 million of that to a signing bonus on a 3 year extension it reduces the cap hit in 2019 but he has not given anything back. in fact he is getting it much sooner as he gets 12 million in one lump sum rather than having to wait for 17 game checks. Its not just the yearly salary that counts against the cap though, its the bonuses as well. His salary this year would be 2 million dollars but that is not the cap hit. You have to figure in the prorated signing bonus as well as any other bonuses. He could play for a yearly salary of 1 million dollars but his cap hit will be much more than that.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He takes less money per time but he takes it more often. That is not giving back but he is helping the team by lowering the cap hit and for that I commend him but in reality its the smart move.
Right. I don't know who believes or has said that Brady is literally giving money back to the Patriots. I took the thread title to mean that he signs team friendly discount contracts. They are discounts because he is Tom Brady, and could be getting more money if he really wanted. So I do believe that yes, he DOES take less when he signs the contracts. He just signs them more often, which actually has the effect of making him more money.

The Packers don't want to do this with Rodgers. They want to lock him down. Belichick isn't worried about losing Brady, so he doesn't mind these shorter contracts. And of course now Brady is getting up in years, so it makes more sense anyway.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. I don't know who believes or has said that Brady is literally giving money back to the Patriots. I took the thread title to mean that he signs team friendly discount contracts. They are discounts because he is Tom Brady, and could be getting more money if he really wanted. So I do believe that yes, he DOES take less when he signs the contracts. He just signs them more often, which actually has the effect of making him more money.

The Packers don't want to do this with Rodgers. They want to lock him down. Belichick isn't worried about losing Brady, so he doesn't mind these shorter contracts. And of course now Brady is getting up in years, so it makes more sense anyway.

Like you said before, its semantics but we both agree on what is happening. I am sure there are people who see headlines like "Tom Brady is giving back" and they think he is taking less than what was originally agreed to. When an article says up front that he was scheduled to make 10 million this year but now he will only make 2 or that Tom Brady is only making 1 million dollars this year it only cements that idea. I've seen both comments in articles about Tom Brady and his contracts before. The better ones go on to explain that he is not actually getting less money and therefore is not giving anything back but some do not. It depends on the agenda they are trying to push.

As I am typing this I realize that the phrase "giving back" doesn't have to be so specific. Many article about people who do amazing things for others are labeled as giving back. In that respect you could say TB is giving back but I think in most cases articles are trying to put forth the idea that he is actually giving something back to promote his positive image.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When an article says up front that he was scheduled to make 10 million this year but now he will only make 2 or that Tom Brady is only making 1 million dollars this year it only cements that idea. I've seen both comments in articles about Tom Brady and his contracts before. The better ones go on to explain that he is not actually getting less money and therefore is not giving anything back but some do not.
That seems like really poor journalism.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually if Brady makes more money by signing more often his total cap hit increases as well as every penny paid to a player will count against the cap at some point.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually if Brady makes more money by signing more often his total cap hit increases as well as every penny paid to a player will count against the cap at some point.
It appears to me that at the time Brady signs a contract, that contract is likely a bargain of sorts for the Patriots. Signing more frequently helps defray that. To me, this explains why people like you say he doesn't take less to play, while others say he does. It's all in the way you look at it.

Brady's pay is like a golfer who finishes fifth in every tournament. He never finishes in the top three, but over time he's racking up a lot of money.

Is Brady a bargain? A lot of this depends on how much you think Brady is worth, and that is a subjective question.

D

Deleted member 6794

It appears to me that at the time Brady signs a contract, that contract is likely a bargain of sorts for the Patriots. Signing more frequently helps defray that. To me, this explains why people like you say he doesn't take less to play, while others say he does. It's all in the way you look at it.

Brady's pay is like a golfer who finishes fifth in every tournament. He never finishes in the top three, but over time he's racking up a lot of money.

Is Brady a bargain? A lot of this depends on how much you think Brady is worth, and that is a subjective question.

Once again, Brady hasn't earned significantly less than Rodgers over the past eight seasons. The Patriots have been smart about the way they structured his deals though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, Brady hasn't earned significantly less than Rodgers over the past eight seasons. The Patriots have been smart about the way they structured his deals though.
I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

There are a ton of posters criticizing Rodgers for why he hasn't taken a discount like Brady to make it easier for the Packers to surround him with a competitive team.

D

Deleted member 6794

it's the cap number that matters. i think brady's cap number has been better/lower than rodgers (since rodgers 2nd contract). it darn sure will be now. lol

Over the last eight seasons on average Rodgers cap hit was $1.2 million higher than Brady's, a number that is negligible. Especially considering Brady is six years older.

In addition Brady is currently set to count $27 million towards the cap in 2019 with the Packers taking a $26.5 million cap hit for Rodgers.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the last eight seasons on average Rodgers cap hit was $1.2 million higher than Brady's, a number that is negligible. Especially considering Brady is six years older.
it's your "on average" over the last 8 years that skews things as many of those years rodgers was on his first contract as a starter. since rodgers first big contract though it's much different:

..........brady.........rodgers
2020...?.................32.6
2021...?.................37

there are additional big factors to consider but the last time the Packers were relevant was 2014.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

it's your "on average" over the last 8 years that skews things as many of those years rodgers was on his first contract as a starter. since rodgers first big contract though it's much different:

..........brady.........rodgers
2020...?.................32.6
2021...?.................37

there are additional big factors to consider but the last time the Packers were relevant was 2014.

Even from 2013-19 Rodgers cap hit will on an average have been only $2.2 million higher than Brady's or 1.4% of the total salary cap.

With the Patriots having won the Super Bowl last season while Brady having the highest cap hit out of all those years you mentioned the conclusion that the Packers haven't been able to win another title based on Rodgers earning too much money seems to be completely wrong.

Members online

Latest posts