Bob McGinn says Packers are fed up with Rodgers diva antics

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn’t meaning it as a very serious comparison, just that I don’t think he looks or plays at all like king.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frankly, the defense hasn't been good since they lost Nick Collins. Dude was going to be great for a long time. They never replaced him (except for getting an aging Charles Woodsen)
And Woodson was here long before Collins got hurt, so you can't even really count him.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Yeah as really ever since losing Nick Collins really hurt the team and in the defense in the long run.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is exactly the problem I have with Rodgers staunch supporters. They want to give him all the credit when the Packers win and none of the blame when they lose.

I don't have any issue criticizing Rodgers but fans need to realize and look around the league that it's close to impossible to win a Super Bowl without an elite quarterback.

Reaction score
I don't have any issue criticizing Rodgers but fans need to realize and look around the league that it's close to impossible to win a Super Bowl without an elite quarterback.
That is less true under a MLF than say ...Coach McCarthy.

You could say the same regarding the Defense. It’s tough to win a Super Bowl without an elite Defense.
GB won 1 SB with Rodgers in all these seasons. The Defensive ranking? #1

As the most visible example, fans consider BRADY the GOAT (which is fine). He’s argued as the #1 best ever (Elite)
However, Tom Brady’s success was directly related to the Defenses that he played alongside. Tom never won a SB playing outside a top #8 or better scoring Defense. Brady’s had SIXTEEN top 10 Defenses. It’s an absolute fact that as good as Tom Brady is, he’s never “carried” his team to a SB victory. I’m going off memory.. but every last one of Brady’s led SB Defenses ranked between #1-#8 overall scoring and average #4.5 scoring. It takes an entire, well-balanced team to win SB’s.

Aaron Rodgers came very, very close in 2014 with a #13 overall scoring Defense. That type scenario would be arguably considered a team being “carried” by an elite QB. 2011 and 2020 were led by Elite level QB play, neither even appeared in a SB.

Brady never once carried a SB team. He’s as elite as they come

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

You could say the same regarding the Defense. It’s tough to win a Super Bowl without an elite Defense.

That's true. Unfortunately the Packers don't have an elite defense to carry the team without a great quarterback.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true. Unfortunately the Packers don't have an elite defense to carry the team without a great quarterback.
We have some good players. If the inside linebacking continues to improve (which is very possible) and if we hit on the big guy on the D line; we could be very good imho.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is less true under a MLF than say ...Coach McCarthy.

GB won 1 SB with Rodgers in all these seasons. The Defensive ranking? #1

As the most visible example, fans consider BRADY the GOAT (which is fine). He’s argued as the #1 best ever (Elite)
However, Tom Brady’s success was directly related to the Defenses that he played alongside. Tom never won a SB playing outside a top #8 or better scoring Defense. Brady’s had SIXTEEN top 10 Defenses. It’s an absolute fact that as good as Tom Brady is, he’s never “carried” his team to a SB victory. I’m going off memory.. but every last one of Brady’s led SB Defenses ranked between #1-#8 overall scoring and average #4.5 scoring. It takes an entire, well-balanced team to win SB’s.

Aaron Rodgers came very, very close in 2014 with a #13 overall scoring Defense. That type scenario would be arguably considered a team being “carried” by an elite QB. 2011 and 2020 were led by Elite level QB play, neither even appeared in a SB.

Brady never once carried a SB team. He’s as elite as they come

Here's a bunch for analyses of Brady's SBs. They're pretty much the same, and the definition of carrying a team is obviously subjective. but he did pretty well in some.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=brady's+super+bowl+performance&ia=web&iai=r1-3&page=1&sexp={"biaexp":"b","msvrtexp":"b"}

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We have some good players. If the inside linebacking continues to improve (which is very possible) and if we hit on the big guy on the D line; we could be very good imho.
Agree. Especially if Savage and Gary continue improving. I’m most concerned about the unit cohesiveness of the offensive line. That could derail the offensive production no matter who plays QB this year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark, brian and I have good lines of communication
Offices open
Conversations with them like I have woth Ted
Im not needing to be involved in that process (about new coach)

Reaction score
That’s the thing. We had one of the best O in the league last season, but without getting this D unit turned around. even an elite QB will suffer from the effects.

Brady’s elite QBing led SB winning teams eventually averaged 26.4 points. It’s not like he put up staggering point performances. Why, that wouldn’t be a top 10 Offense in many seasons. However it was more than plenty to overcome what his D allowed at 18.7 points per game in those SB wins.

If our D could average 18.7 points a game we’d be very successful even with a lesser QB than Rodgers. Give me that D and an efficient, but not spectacular QB and we’d be in the mix nearly every season.

Reaction score
Let’s hope that changes with a new D coaching regime. They have enough talent to squeak into a top 10 Defensive ranking. Obviously Rodgers improves that overall scenario.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys were paid about the national average and media coverage was much less "back in the day". Paying someone millions and putting them on national television all the time is something that naturally feeds the ego.

I think it's kinda hard to keep your feet on the ground when everyone treats you like you can walk on water.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think it's kinda hard to keep your feet on the ground when everyone treats you like you can walk on water.

Well said and so true and some are actually able to pull it off (keep humble), so it can be done. Jordy Nelson seems to have kept his feet close to the ground, despite who he was in the NFL and how much he made doing it.

I am guessing this starts at the H.S. level when a player is so much better than all those around him. Then he goes to a college program, where most are treated with kid gloves. While maybe the Pro "program" doesn't change much in that treatment, the money they obtain and then the fan notoriety further elevates most off the ground.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers defense definitely features some good players but they are several pieces away from being a very good unit.

Agree. Especially if Savage and Gary continue improving. I’m most concerned about the unit cohesiveness of the offensive line. That could derail the offensive production no matter who plays QB this year.

You should be most concerned about who starts at quarterback in the first place though.

That’s the thing. We had one of the best O in the league last season, but without getting this D unit turned around. even an elite QB will suffer from the effects.

If our D could average 18.7 points a game we’d be very successful even with a lesser QB than Rodgers. Give me that D and an efficient, but not spectacular QB and we’d be in the mix nearly every season.

There's no doubt that an elite defense allows a team to be successful even without a great quarterback.

The Patriots showed what's possible having both, something the Packers have failed at over the last 10 years.