ALL recent another head coach options merged-- preMM firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we had a two year stretch of poor draft yields that were not adequately supplemented by free agent acquisitions. Overall though, the level of team speed on this roster is probably better now than at any time since the Super Bowl victory. The kids will have to develop quickly but I still think we have a shot at a championship run.

That still comes to coaching...

We have what? 6 WRs...or is it 7??

And 3 solid TEs...

Yet we don't do more SPREAD offensive looks???

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would agree with you, the old saying goes and I tend to agree " you are what your record is"... Again it is subjective but I think that is the case for me.
I tend to believe in facts ... not old sayings. The fact is that the team is not 5-2. However, it is also a fact that without that bad call by the refs in the Minnesota game... they would have at least one more win.

H

HardRightEdge

Gutekunst has done a good job during his first season as the team's general manager. It's ridiculous to suggest to fire him.
I think Gutekunst did a good job with the draft, especially picking up a 1st. rounder next season. Alexander, Jackson and MVS already look like the real deal. Jackson just needs to learn which grabs and illegal contacts he can get away with. Perhaps Jackson should study the old Legion of Boom tape to see how it's done; they were the masters of the ticky-tack non-call. ;) There could be more yield out of the other 2018 draftees in year 2.

With a half season in the books, I did not and still can't give a + to this FA class short of a championship, which I did not expect at the time of those signings nor do I expect one now.

Whether that's a function of McCarthy's table pounding his view of the needs or Gutekunst pressing for competativness is an unknown given the org chart.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Here some go with the "Rodgers has regressed" nonsense. Some never learn their lesson.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Gutekunst did a good job with the draft, especially picking up a 1st. rounder next season. Alexander, Jackson and MVS already look like the real deal. Jackson just needs to learn which grabs and illegal contacts he can get away with. Perhaps Jackson should study the old Legion of Boom tape to see how it's done; they were the masters of the ticky-tack non-call. ;) There could be more yield out of the other 2018 draftees in year 2.

With a half season in the books, I did not and still can't give a + to this FA class short of a championship, which I did not expect at the time of those signings nor do I expect one now.

Whether that's a function of McCarthy's table pounding his view of the needs or Gutekunst pressing for competativness is an unknown given the org chart.

All he needs to do is talk to his teammate Jaire and look at the Rams tape. FOX seemed to catch JA with a handful of jersey off and on throughout the day. :whistling:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said it would happen, just that it would be worth it.
Lol oh in that case let’s try to trade Kyler Fackrell for JJ Watt straight up. And Tyler Lancaster for Aaron Donald. I think it would be worth it. :rolleyes::roflmao:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaching is not the problem.

No, you're right. MM had nothing to do with the gameplan in 2014 against the Bills that cost the team homefield advantage in the playoffs; nor did MM have anything to do with the scared coaching he did against the Sea Chickens that same year; nor did he have anything to do with the offense falling off a cliff because Jordy got hurt. That was ALL talent.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, you're right. MM had nothing to do with the gameplan in 2014 against the Bills that cost the team homefield advantage in the playoffs; nor did MM have anything to do with the scared coaching he did against the Sea Chickens that same year; nor did he have anything to do with the offense falling off a cliff because Jordy got hurt. That was ALL talent.
You have a peculiar way of looking at things. Very narrow, very exclusionary of many other pretty important variables etc. I’m not sure if you’re joking or being willfully omissive.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have a peculiar way of looking at things. Very narrow, very exclusionary of many other pretty important variables etc. I’m not sure if you’re joking or being willfully omissive.

Nope. MM is an acknowledged not-great coach. Hence the reason many are on board for moving on from him.

I also didn't feel like going through an exhaustive list of examples that nobody would want to read. However, I was just reminded of this gem: after the 2014 loss to the Seahawks MM was asked why he ran the ball so much in the second half and he said, this is on record now, that his goal is to run the ball 10+ times in the 4th quarter because teams that do that tend to win....no great coach is that moronic when it comes to correlation and causation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What were people saying about the Packers chances before the game?

For your own record. Because I really don’t care to relive 2014 again. I will say you’re revising it to fit your narrative.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What were people saying about the Packers chances before the game?

For your own record. Because I really don’t care to relive 2014 again. I will say you’re revising it to fit your narrative.

Yes, facts do tend to fit the narrative.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR has missed more than usual... but there have also been A LOT of drops
have there been...really (13-14)? wonder where that falls in compared to the league. i'm thinking probably about average. Rodgers' misses (balls in the ground, over their heads, too behind/in-front, etc.) have been way more than normal. not to mention bad decisions to throw/not-throw/who-to-throw-to. he's had great moments but not been good/great as a whole so far...at least not to what we/he would like to see, and what his paycheck would infer.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

We can rehash those earlier failings and the alternate causes, but the bolded portion of that post is not just a little silly. McCarthy was supposed to pull a rabbit, i.e., a Pro Bowl #1 receiver, out his hat? No, make that 2 receivers with Adams limping around the field a good portion of that season.

H

HardRightEdge

All he needs to do is talk to his teammate Jaire and look at the Rams tape. FOX seemed to catch JA with a handful of jersey off and on throughout the day. :whistling:
Jaire won't get away with that every week. That Rams game crew was a flag-lite, let 'em play bunch. The Legion of Boom ticky-tack seemed to be a method for all seasons. ;) You know, stay in contact, bump and jostle, hand check.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can rehash those earlier failings and the alternate causes, but the bolded portion of that post is not just a little silly. McCarthy was supposed to pull a rabbit, i.e., a Pro Bowl #1 receiver, out his hat? No, make that 2 receivers with Adams limping around the field a good portion of that season.
Don't forget Cobb with one good arm because of a shoulder injury, and the fact that one point Josh Sitton played Left Tackle for us because we had nobody else to try out there. I wonder how many games were missed by starters, most notably our 2 starting tackles were not healthy for much of the year, I think that wa the year BahkT tore a bunch of ligaments in his ankle that required surgery too. The offensive line did not have much luck that year either. But yeah, it was because of Jordy LOL

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if Rodgers is not at his "normal" level due to him trying too hard to live up to his contract. He is a smart guy. You think he doesn't realize that every play he makes or doesn't is going to be brought up with how much money he is making on this contract? This may be Aaron Rodgers version of the yips.

H

HardRightEdge

Don't forget Cobb with one good arm because of a shoulder injury, and the fact that one point Josh Sitton played Left Tackle for us because we had nobody else to try out there. I wonder how many games were missed by starters, most notably our 2 starting tackles were not healthy for much of the year, I think that wa the year BahkT tore a bunch of ligaments in his ankle that required surgery too. The offensive line did not have much luck that year either. But yeah, it was because of Jordy LOL
I was going to get into more stuff but frankly I'm pretty tired if debating the causes of past failings. Just one more note. He mentioned losing to the Bills on the road in 2014. While few may realize it, that was one of the best defenses of this decade, a 9-7 team with a pretty anemic offense. That's a pretty good example of "the other guys get paid too". Their defensive talent played better than the Packers offensive talent that day.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodgers' receivers in the divisional round game against the Cardinals was a washed up James Jones, and two dudes who caught a total of like 11 balls for Rodgers during the course of the regular season that year (Janis/Abbrederis). Not to mention a fat Eddie Lacy.

To your point, tough to blame McCarthy on that. Cobb went out early in that game with the chest injury, and Adams tore his MCL in the wild card game against the Redskins.

Reaction score
Only if you hire me as a consultant at Free Safety!
(and that don’t mean Free in the monetary sense of the word. I expect to be paid handsomely)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would agree with you, the old saying goes and I tend to agree " you are what your record is"... Again it is subjective but I think that is the case for me.
I've never at any point in 46 years seen that old saying anywhere. Either way, a lot of old sayings are complete bunk.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
For those fans that think the Packers coach Mike McCarthy should be fired, check how many head coaches are on the hot seat half way through this season.
There can't be that many master minds in the NFL worthy of taking a team to the Super Bowl,
so be careful what you wish for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online