Aaron Rodgers Said What?

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
I know, there goes the old PF site historian PWT 36, going Back to the olden days of NFL football.

In the 1950's there was old time "pretty Fair" longtime Detroit Lion, Veteran QB named Bobby Layne. Lion QB Bobby Layne who did it all, he lived hard, Drank hard and swore hard . If a Detroit Lion offensive line man missed a block and got Bobby sacked-- before going back into the huddle again; immediately Bobby Layne would go up to his own offensive lineman, "chew him" out for missing the block, And he delivered the message to OL man in not very polite speech, laced with four letterwords . The TV screen picture showed Layne's lips moving and most TV viewers could read Layne's Lips. TV viewers knew he was swearing at the Lion offensive lineman for missing that pass block with caused him to get sacked.

The Lions QB Bobby Layne of 50's ,would make Packer QB Aaron Rodgers look like a choir boy . Aaron Rodgers comment on ESPN about Packer fans who complain about him . was pretty mild as compared to what QB Bobby Layne might have said to the fans in the 50's ; who might complain about him in those days of old. And if fan said it to Bobby Layne in person , Bobby might have challenged the the fan to a fight.

Pro football was filled with many "colorful " players in the old day who played rough, on and off the playing field, drank too much , chased women and talked rough. In the old days, NFL players didn't make much money. It was a part time job for the NFL player during the football season. They played football because they love the game. And in off season, the NFL player had to have a "real" job.

There was much less control of the players by NFL Headquarters in the olden day then today. There was not all the NFL rules in olden day like in today's NFL. It is all business in NFL today--Big business!!!

I am not sure that it is all that different, and it definately doesn't excuse Rodgers. Starr was a QB back then and he treated his lineman with respect. Matter of fact only once can any of his lineman remember Starr yelling at him and he apologized afterwards.

Whether Rodgers cares about us the fans, or not, he is wise not to allienate us. Being boo'ed in yor home stadium is about as bad as it gets. And GB fans can certianly do that. The difference between us and other fans is that you have to earn our boo's. We will give you every opportunity first.

What Rodger needs to know is that he must prove himself to us if he wants us onboard. Back in 92 or 93 some kid out there couldn't throw a touch pass if there was a beer reward attached to it. Not to even mention that the thought of throwing it out of bounds when there was no play was as unheard of as a dentist in Kentucky. the state and Packer fandom in general were really torn about keeping him in there now that Magic was healthy. I don't remember that kid saying anything as allienating as what Rodgers did and the new kid had already led us to a come from behind win and won other games too.

All Rodgers did was put arrows into the quivers of those that will quickly jump ship shoudl he struggle out of the gate. Not good strategy if you ask me. As someone here already said, sounds more like a Ryan Leaf comment.

In essence, he is saying we need to be his fans and respect him already.

You need to give me reason to respect you Mr. Rodgers, strike one.

Well said once again Tripp!!!

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, ev ery once in a while, us old codgers get out of the barcalounger, set down the bedpan, lean over and type.

Reaction score

Tripp, it isn't as if Rodgers has yet to do anything to command respect:

1) He finished a game on a broken foot. Regardless of A-Rod yelling at his linemen, a QB dropping back and throwing passes on a broken foot is hella tough.

2) Rodgers has attended the off-season QB school that Coach McCarthy runs for three consecutive off-seasons. It isn't as if doing so was mandatory, Rodgers has shown that he is willing to put the time in to become a better player.

3) After the Dallas game, you have to give credit to Aaron for being prepared. I'm not sure if Aaron has ever said "I go into every game as if I'm the starter" but if he did, it would be tough to say he doesn't after the solid job Rodgers coming in the Cowboys game.

4) You expect your QB to be a leader. So what does Aaron do? He invites various team members over to his house each week in an effort to improve team chemistry.

5) Aaron insists that during this layoff between the OTAs and training camp, he will get together with James Jones, Brett Swain, and Greg Jennings so he can get (even more) familiar with his WRs. Aaron also said that Ruvell will workout on his own somewhere else, and suggests he'll go down and meet with Ruvell also.

It isn't as if Aaron has done nothing to command respect. He is taking over a 14-4 team, and he sure as hell isn't relaxing. He's got a right, IMO, to tell fans to either jump on board or keep quiet. Was he a little more blunt than necessary? Probably. But after an endless summer of everyone asking him about Brett this or Brett that, I'd be a little aggressive in telling fans I'm not Brett, so either realize that and get ready to support me, or shut-up and stay away from calling yourself a "Packer" fan.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, ev ery once in a while, us old codgers get out of the barcalounger, set down the bedpan, lean over and type.
I understand your point of view Tripp, but Aaron Rodgers is only human. He has been hearing the same unfounded criticism for years. With the way he has been badgered by media, whose only motive is to make him say something news-worthy, you've got to expect it.

Do you have kids? It's like when you're driving somewhere and they're in the back screaming, "Are we there yet?! Are we there yet?! Are we there yet?! Are we there yet?! Are we there yet?! Are we there yet?!" How many times do they have to scream, "Are we there yet?!" before you tell them to shut up? I think Rodgers held up to the scrutiny and "kept his mouth shut" about as well as can be expected, and I certainly think he's been able to keep his mouth shut longer than #4 would have been able to.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

1) He finished a game on a broken foot. Regardless of A-Rod yelling at his linemen, a QB dropping back and throwing passes on a broken foot is hella tough.

2) Rodgers has attended the off-season QB school that Coach McCarthy runs for three consecutive off-seasons. It isn't as if doing so was mandatory, Rodgers has shown that he is willing to put the time in to become a better player.

3) After the Dallas game, you have to give credit to Aaron for being prepared. I'm not sure if Aaron has ever said "I go into every game as if I'm the starter" but if he did, it would be tough to say he doesn't after the solid job Rodgers coming in the Cowboys game.

4) You expect your QB to be a leader. So what does Aaron do? He invites various team members over to his house each week in an effort to improve team chemistry.

5) Aaron insists that during this layoff between the OTAs and training camp, he will get together with James Jones, Brett Swain, and Greg Jennings so he can get (even more) familiar with his WRs. Aaron also said that Ruvell will workout on his own somewhere else, and suggests he'll go down and meet with Ruvell also.

It isn't as if Aaron has done nothing to command respect. He is taking over a 14-4 team, and he sure as hell isn't relaxing. He's got a right, IMO, to tell fans to either jump on board or keep quiet. Was he a little more blunt than necessary? Probably. But after an endless summer of everyone asking him about Brett this or Brett that, I'd be a little aggressive in telling fans I'm not Brett, so either realize that and get ready to support me, or shut-up and stay away from calling yourself a "Packer" fan.

yeah thats all good and reasonable aadp.... but he isn't Favre so good luck trying to persuade em.

*edited for too much uncalled for douchbaggery, sorry

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

yeah thats all good and reasonable aadp.... but he isn't Favre so good luck trying to persuade em.

Yep because I want the better QB as the QB of my team.....that means I'm a Favre Firster I guess. Come to think of it I'd rather have Brady, Manning, or a dozen or so other guys as the QB of this team so I must be a Manning Firster, Brady Firster Etc.

Give it up dude

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
trippster said:

Yep because I want the better QB as the QB of my team.....that means I'm a Favre Firster I guess. Come to think of it I'd rather have Brady, Manning, or a dozen or so other guys as the QB of this team so I must be a Manning Firster, Brady Firster Etc.

Give it up dude

You smell familiar to me.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
trippster said:

Give it up dude

The Enemy is at the Gate once again :D

pigeo000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jpigeon said:
Actually, IMO by the 5th game of the season he'll be injured and Brohm will get the reins anyway.

This is who Aaron is speaking to. and this is why he said the right thing.

Look at the first five games of the packers season and the front 7 he will face, as an immobile quarterback i would expect him to get beat up quite a bit. Id say the chances for a quarterback who hasn't started a game going up against those 5 teams, expect to have him beat up, hurt, or pulled.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
jpigeon said:
Actually, IMO by the 5th game of the season he'll be injured and Brohm will get the reins anyway.

Look at the first five games of the packers season and the front 7 he will face, as an immobile quarterback i would expect him to get beat up quite a bit. Id say the chances for a quarterback who hasn't started a game going up against those 5 teams, expect to have him beat up, hurt, or pulled.

what? Aaron Rodgers is immobile? yeah the Tampa Bay Bucs and Atlanta Falcons front 7 really makes me dribble on myself. Nevermind... if you can't remember your password how can I expect you to make rational statements.

P.S. your password is probably Favresballs... you just didn't capitalize the F.

pigeo000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pigeo000 said:
Packnic said:
jpigeon said:

what? Aaron Rodgers is immobile? yeah the Tampa Bay Bucs and Atlanta Falcons front 7 really makes me dribble on myself. Nevermind... if you can't remember your password how can I expect you to make rational statements.

Three of the teams were in the top ten for sacks. If the packers have so much faith in Rodgers then why were they looking at bringing Cullpepper into training camp?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
pigeo000 said:
Packnic said:
jpigeon said:

Three of the teams were in the top ten for sacks. If the packers have so much faith in Rodgers then why were they looking at bringing Cullpepper into training camp?

yikes.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Cpep was a pre-draft option, I don't think the Packers intended to draft 2 QB's in the same draft.. once the draft was over, I think the Pack took a large sigh that CPeps ego got in the way.

I don't think the Packers thought Brohm would be there in the second round for them.. they avoided the PR nightmare of taking a QB with their first overall pick.. but he was too good to pass up later in the 2nd.. IMO.

So there is no illusion that the Packers are worried about Rodgers, it is simply a safety measure pre draft.. If the Packer was really worried about Rodgers.. I guarantee that a couple other FA signal callers would have cycled through GB already getting a workout..

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cpep was a pre-draft option, I don't think the Packers intended to draft 2 QB's in the same draft.. once the draft was over, I think the Pack took a large sigh that CPeps ego got in the way.

I don't think the Packers thought Brohm would be there in the second round for them.. they avoided the PR nightmare of taking a QB with their first overall pick.. but he was too good to pass up later in the 2nd.. IMO.

So there is no illusion that the Packers are worried about Rodgers, it is simply a safety measure pre draft.. If the Packer was really worried about Rodgers.. I guarantee that a couple other FA signal callers would have cycled through GB already getting a workout..

not to mention that if the Packers were worried about Rodgers... Brett Favre would already be in Green Bay preparing for the season. Cpep was never gonna be the starter here and thats why he didnt take the gig.

pigeo000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

not to mention that if the Packers were worried about Rodgers... Brett Favre would already be in Green Bay preparing for the season. Cpep was never gonna be the starter here and thats why he didnt take the gig.

personally i dont think they want to pay him 11 million this year

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Pack93z said:

still with the tightwad ted comments??? even though management has built a 14-4 team with so much cap space that we could sign 2 Brett Favres and not be hurt. really?

might be time to pack it up kid.

pigeo000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pigeo000 said:
Packnic said:
Pack93z said:

your just flat out being a ****** bag. I come in here to make comments and share my point of view but then we have some jerk like you who thinks they know everything pushing people around. This is rediculous its a forum. Get a life.

still with the tightwad ted comments??? even though management has built a 14-4 team with so much cap space that we could sign 2 Brett Favres and not be hurt. really?

might be time to pack it up kid.