Oklahoma LS James Winchester
Northern Arizona CB Devin Willis
Southern Methodist University S Chris Banjo

Take your pick!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here were our UFDAs in 2013, if that was the year that he was referencing:

Illinois State QB Matt Brown
Illinois State S Ben Ericksen
Texas A&M C Patrick Lewis
Eastern Michigan DE/OLB Andy Mulumba
Kansas State RB Angelo Pease
Mississippi DT Gilbert Pena
Ohio State TE Jake Stoneburner
Oklahoma State OG Lane Taylor
Louisiana College OT Jeremy Vujnovich
Louisiana Tech WR Myles White
Oklahoma LS James Winchester
Northern Arizona CB Devin Willis
Southern Methodist University S Chris Banjo

Take your pick!
The point of my post was that it seems Mr. Brandt has told that story several times over the years and each time the details change.

Google "Andrew Brandt And my favorite undrafted free agent story ever: Negotiated with player directly"

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Love his name!

Ralen Goforth

That's gonna sell some jerseys!
Finally got a chance to look at Goforth. The Huskies had 10 players drafted, so not a surprise to give this guy a good tire kicking. Speaking of tire kicking....wow on this hit he had back in 2022 when he was a Trojan.

Actually surprised that Zion Tupuola-Fetui, another Husky hasn't been signed by anyone yet. He was looking like a 1st round pick back in 2020 and then he tore his Achilles and its been a slow comeback since.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a solid tackle. Kudos to both of them for popping back up after the play, seemingly no worse for the wear.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The point of my post was that it seems Mr. Brandt has told that story several times over the years and each time the details change.

Google "Andrew Brandt And my favorite undrafted free agent story ever: Negotiated with player directly"
I think many GMs tell the same story with slight variations. Sounds more like an urban legend than anything else.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Watch the whole thing to put a smile on your face. Go to the 5:10 mark if you have better things to do

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Much longer list of players invited to the tryouts.

One that really stands out to me is 26-year-old quarterback Jacob Eason.
He was drafted in the fourth round by the Colts back in 2020 and has seen action in two NFL regular season games, completing 5 of 10 passes for 84 yards and two interceptions.

Also, the Packers have listed former third-string quarterback Alex McGough as a receiver — which leaves the team with just three quarterbacks on their 90-man roster. Maybe why they are giving Eason a tryout?

Packers rookie tryouts​

• QB Jacob Eason, Washington*
  • WR Rory Starkey, Samford
  • WR Brian Hightower, California
  • WR Julian Hicks, Albany
  • WR Dimitri Stanley, Iowa State
  • WR Kaden Davis, Northwest Missouri State*
  • TE Devon Garrison, Pittsburgh State
  • OL Michael Furtney, Wisconsin
  • OL Lecitus Smith, Virginia Tech*
  • DL Jack Daly, Florida International
  • DL Roje Stona, Arkansas/International Player Pathways
  • LB Logan Blake, Eastern Kentucky
  • LB Chris Russell, Texas A&M
  • CB Don Callis, Troy
  • CB Kalon Gervin, Kansas
  • P Porter Wilson, Duke

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Much longer list of players invited to the tryouts.

One that really stands out to me is 26-year-old quarterback Jacob Eason.
He was drafted in the fourth round by the Colts back in 2020 and has seen action in two NFL regular season games, completing 5 of 10 passes for 84 yards and two interceptions.

Also, the Packers have listed former third-string quarterback Alex McGough as a receiver — which leaves the team with just three quarterbacks on their 90-man roster. Maybe why they are giving Eason a tryout?

Packers rookie tryouts​

• QB Jacob Eason, Washington*
  • WR Rory Starkey, Samford
  • WR Brian Hightower, California
  • WR Julian Hicks, Albany
  • WR Dimitri Stanley, Iowa State
  • WR Kaden Davis, Northwest Missouri State*
  • TE Devon Garrison, Pittsburgh State
  • OL Michael Furtney, Wisconsin
  • OL Lecitus Smith, Virginia Tech*
  • DL Jack Daly, Florida International
  • DL Roje Stona, Arkansas/International Player Pathways
  • LB Logan Blake, Eastern Kentucky
  • LB Chris Russell, Texas A&M
  • CB Don Callis, Troy
  • CB Kalon Gervin, Kansas
  • P Porter Wilson, Duke
Logan Blake LB E Kentucky has me a little intrigued. He's 6'1" 238 had some production last year, 111 total tackles and couple picks... also had a 40.5" vert

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Logan Blake LB E Kentucky has me a little intrigued. He's 6'1" 238 had some production last year, 111 total tackles and couple picks... also had a 40.5" vert
The cat can jump for sure! 40.5" would have been the best of all linebackers at the NFL Combine this year

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blake should have gotten an UDFA deal in my opinion. I had a seventh grade on him and see a ST contributor out the gate.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Blake should have gotten an UDFA deal in my opinion. I had a seventh grade on him and see a ST contributor out the gate.
I really like the competition that Gute has created at some of the key positions. Positions that at certain times were weaknesses last season. The only positions I am still scratching my head a bit about, are CB and DL. Still expecting FA signings or a trade to occur with both. Now maybe with the versatility of the DB's that he drafted, he feels that the secondary is complete? I just hope he isn't banking on the health or ability of Stokes as a starter.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interesting news from the rookie Tryouts. The Packers signed 3 players. WR Dimitri Stanley (son of former Packer WR Walter Stanley), WR Julian Hicks and OL Lecitus Smith.

I believe that means that they will have to release 3 players to keep at the roster limit of 90.

Smith isn't a rookie and has NFL experience.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting news from the rookie Tryouts. The Packers signed 3 players. WR Dimitri Stanley (son of former Packer WR Walter Stanley), WR Julian Hicks and OL Lecitus Smith.

I believe that means that they will have to release 3 players to keep at the roster limit of 90.

Smith isn't a rookie and has NFL experience.

I may be wrong (more times than I'd prefer) but I don't think draftees count towards 91 man roster until signed?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I may be wrong (more times than I'd prefer) but I don't think draftees count towards 91 man roster until signed?
I thought that as well last week when UDFA's were being signed, but I kept seeing things like "including the 11 draft picks, the Packers roster is close to the limit".

Seeing that 3 guys were released today (post before mine), makes me think that the draftees are considered to be part of the 90.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just did a head count and including the unsigned draft picks, the roster is listed at 91, but Anthony Johnson Jr. is on it and he is being reported as being released today.

That said, for me and I think you must agree, I question why they have to include unsigned draft picks. Technically, they are not ON the payroll or roster, until they agree to terms.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I just did a head count and including the unsigned draft picks, the roster is listed at 91, but Anthony Johnson Jr. is on it and he is being reported as being released today.

That said, for me and I think you must agree, I question why they have to include unsigned draft picks. Technically, they are not ON the payroll or roster, until they agree to terms.

There are two Anthony Johnson's, CB Anthony Johnson, and S Anthony Johnson Jr.... the CB was relaesed