2024 3rd Rd #91 Ty’Ron Hopper LB

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's listed on Missouri's website at 6'2 221. If he can play at 220 as I mentioned on another thread I think we may have double dipped at Safety

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only day 2 pick that was more of a 'meh' for me. This typically means he will be the best pick of the bunch.

If LB, wouldn't Cedric Grey be more to our liking? Or even Trotter Jr? And if a safety, as RicFlair suggests, you had Jayden Hicks and DTD available as well.

At the time of the pick I thought we would go TJ Tampa. Don't know what happened to his draft stock but many of us amateurs were thinking early to mid 2nd.

Can't recall why, but when I looked at him I crossed him off the list. Will have to go back and reconsider.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only day 2 pick that was more of a 'meh' for me. This typically means he will be the best pick of the bunch.

If LB, wouldn't Cedric Grey be more to our liking? Or even Trotter Jr? And if a safety, as RicFlair suggests, you had Jayden Hicks and DTD available as well.

At the time of the pick I thought we would go TJ Tampa. Don't know what happened to his draft stock but many of us amateurs were thinking early to mid 2nd.

Can't recall why, but when I looked at him I crossed him off the list. Will have to go back and reconsider.
Gluten passed on a lotta guys in the draft - DeJean (well, he didn't go after him and that would have been easy), Hicks, TJT, others. That said, I trust Gluten and thought, at least for now, this has been one of his best 1,2,3 rounds since, well since last year.

After Morgan I thought he'd go all in on D, and he did pick three defensive guys. But RB had to be addressed and Lloyd was a fine pick. As for Hopper, yeah this one doesn't exactly light a fire but there is now a lot of speed at LB, something he clearly wanted to achieve.

And Rick mentioned this - he could be played at S at 220 lbs. More likely is he'll add weight and stay at LB. I like what Gluten did there - he got starters at LB and S and created a bit of depth at these positions. Well done.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Was considered a mainly zone corner is why I dropped him on my list.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it is worth GB clocked Hopper at upper 4.5s. Gute double down on that in his presser discussing him.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score

Hopper sounds like a pretty confident young man. Likes to play man when in coverage, which could be a reason why they drafted him, as he would be a fit for Hafley's defense. I read somewhere else that he had 500 ST snaps in his college career, and when you are a rookie, in most cases, you need to be able to do that if you want to be on the field. Starting out, he's probably 4th on the depth chart, behind Quay, Edge, and McDuff (and that can be said for any 2nd LB they drafted. I think it's interesting that we have drafted 2 Top 30 guys so far, and both are LB's

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Another note, Hopper was a Team Captain last year. I mentioned it before, having a team full of leaders is great both on and off the field.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably a depth guy/special teams ace with the chance to develop into more. Happy to see what they can make of him.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably a depth guy/special teams ace with the chance to develop into more. Happy to see what they can make of him.
Agree. I think after they lost Tyler Davis TE on special teams it showed, he was one of the leaders of that group. This kid was a Captain on his team, I think GB looks at him as possibly a special team Ace type of player that often you see the Patriots devlop. So I think he is the 4th "starter" selected in this draft...starter on special is important. He will end up more playing time than the new RB from USC.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More speed in the backfield. That's fine with me.
He created a ton of pressures too...Cooper worked well when lined up outside and blitzing...Hopper was excellent blitzing from everywhere...Hafley is hoping these guys translate to NFL because if they do, yikes!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I think after they lost Tyler Davis TE on special teams it showed, he was one of the leaders of that group. This kid was a Captain on his team, I think GB looks at him as possibly a special team Ace type of player that often you see the Patriots devlop. So I think he is the 4th "starter" selected in this draft...starter on special is important. He will end up more playing time than the new RB from USC.
Good point about STs and having leaders on the unit. One reason the Pats were so dominant was a solid focus on STs, well and a lotta other things.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He created a ton of pressures too...Cooper worked well when lined up outside and blitzing...Hopper was excellent blitzing from everywhere...Hafley is hoping these guys translate to NFL because if they do, yikes!
If this draft does for the defense what the last two did for the offense, well that will be a formidable team. And by adding picks Gluten will also find some solid STs players. And it will still be a very, very young team.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this draft does for the defense what the last two did for the offense, well that will be a formidable team. And by adding picks Gluten will also find some solid STs players. And it will still be a very, very young team.
Special teams was a big winner so far in this draft - several players already who should really strengthen the unit this season, and have a giood shot at working their way onto the actual roster next season or even later this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sounds like they were more bullish on the athlete than most and they liked a lot of what they saw in 2022.

My guess is that they view him as a depth LB this year who can push Wilson or Welch off the roster. Those latter two are pillars on teams, but you really don't want them on the field on defense and they don't have a projectable upside in that regard either.

Hopper can play their snaps on teams and also has a chance to develop into more. Could/should be the LB3 in 2025 after McDuffie hits free agency.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like they were more bullish on the athlete than most and they liked a lot of what they saw in 2022.

My guess is that they view him as a depth LB this year who can push Wilson or Welch off the roster. Those latter two are pillars on teams, but you really don't want them on the field on defense and they don't have a projectable upside in that regard either.

Hopper can play their snaps on teams and also has a chance to develop into more. Could/should be the LB3 in 2025 after McDuffie hits free agency.
Hey Dantes - who do you thin will wear the green dot, and who will play the "star" position? They have a lot of very fast guys in the backfield now. But the defense needs a QB to make sure everyone is lined up properly. I don't know who it could be. I think Campbell may have been the green dot guy when it was clear Walker couldn't do it. Thanks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special teams was a big winner so far in this draft - several players already who should really strengthen the unit this season, and have a giood shot at working their way onto the actual roster next season or even later this year.
I agree. Bisaccia will have a lot to work with this year. Biggest concern is K, well that's kinda obvious. My guess is that Carlson keeps the job. I say that because he didn't let his misses, even the big ones, bother him a lot. He'll learn from the mistakes- seems like it's a matter of focus and field/game awareness. He's almost too relaxed.

Anyway, I'd like to see a top 10 STs group. Been a while. And as you note, those guys often move up on the team to other positions.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty'Ron Hopper will wear #59, De'Vondre Campbell's old number.
How quickly we move on, eh? In fairness, I liked Campbell. He had that one great year, but I agree with his post-cut comments that Barry simply didn't know where to play guys to maximize their strengths. I'm kinda glad Campbell spoke up because he spoke for a lot of us who were completely frustrated with Barry's performance.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I woke up this morning ready to look at some of the Packer's draft picks. Last night I went to bed still scratching my head over the 3rd round Hopper pick. I tell you though, after reading about him and watching some film, I really like the guy. I think what really bodes well for him is the conference (SEC) that he played in. This isn't a D2 guy, this is a guy that faced some pretty talented offenses during his time at Missouri. In watching film and I do realize it was "highlights", the guy seems to have a good nose for the ball, stays pretty clean (of blockers) and pursues well. Will he start this year? Heck no, but I think he can play right away and could excel on special teams until he moves up the depth chart. Seems like a guy with a high football IQ and doesn't give up on the field.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Dantes - who do you thin will wear the green dot, and who will play the "star" position? They have a lot of very fast guys in the backfield now. But the defense needs a QB to make sure everyone is lined up properly. I don't know who it could be. I think Campbell may have been the green dot guy when it was clear Walker couldn't do it. Thanks.
I have a hunch I know this answer. I think the dot will be Quay...the Star will be Cooper

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why He Will Succeed: Hopper will get himself active on gamedays with ST prowess and will play fast when called upon by the defense. His aggression will get him into trouble at times, but will ultimately cover up for some of his errors.

Why He Would Fail: The coverage side of his job never comes together for him, leaving him exclusively as a ST guy.

My Guess: I think Hopper will be a ST mainstay and the LB4 as a rookie; I don't think he will ever be one of the top 2 linebackers for the defense, but I bet he's a valuable LB3/role player by year 2 onward.

Upside Comp: His aggression and downhill mentality reminds me of Azeez Al-Shaair.

Members online

Latest posts