2023 week 4 TNF vs the Lions pregame thread

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Expected game time weather low 70s and calm. Short week to bask in the exciting finish from week three. After this one there is one game over the next 24 days. I expect most injured players to sit this one out unless they are fully healthy.

Reaction score
If we win this Detroit game we’re in exceptional shape for taking this Division with a 3-1 start.
The 0-3 Vikings play K.C. + 49ers over the next 4 weeks. I suspect MN will be in that 2-5 area before we face off @ Lambeau Oct 29th. We could put the statistical death blow to them by end of next month.

The Bears are the Bears. We’re going to own them @ Lambeau again this year. Even with their pedestrian schedule they’ll be fortunate to have 6 Wins when we face them again in January

It’s becoming more and more likely that Detroit will be our biggest hurdle to another Division title. They’ll be playing 3 on the road over the next 4 contests
@ GB
Panthers
@ Tampa
@ Baltimore

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expected game time weather low 70s and calm. Short week to bask in the exciting finish from week three. After this one there is one game over the next 24 days. I expect most injured players to sit this one out unless they are fully healthy.
This game could have major playoff implications. I expect that anyone who would play in a playoff game would play Thursday.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we win this Detroit game we’re in exceptional shape for taking this Division with a 3-1 start.
The 0-3 Vikings play K.C. + 49ers over the next 4 weeks. I suspect MN will be in that 2-5 area before we face off @ Lambeau Oct 29th. We could put the statistical death blow to them by end of next month.

The Bears are the Bears. We’re going to own them @ Lambeau again this year. Even with their pedestrian schedule they’ll be fortunate to have 6 Wins when we face them again in January

It’s becoming more and more likely that Detroit will be our biggest hurdle to another Division title. They’ll be playing 3 on the road over the next 4 contests
@ GB
Panthers
@ Tampa
@ Baltimore
Notice how Detroit shut down the Falcons offense yesterday.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our first huge test of the year. Up against the team that knocked us out of the playoffs last year and his beaten us three times in a row. Against the team that is the new number one rival in the division. You need to win your division games but you absolutely cannot lose home division games. This one is going to be a big test. I expect the guys who didn't play Sunday except for Jenkins to be ready to go.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hamstring, hamstring, hamstring...training staff fail. Effin' Christian Watson 5 weeks and counting and the guy is 24 years old. :poop:
Could use a Jerry Rice as a personal trainer.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hamstring, hamstring, hamstring...training staff fail. Effin' Christian Watson 5 weeks and counting and the guy is 24 years old. :poop:
It is what it is. I don't hold it against him. Hopefully he can stay healthy afterwards. But I am also wondering about the training.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This game could have major playoff implications. I expect that anyone who would play in a playoff game would play Thursday.
I don't. They need these guys for the meat of the schedule without lingering effects. Take another 3 weeks to fully heal for the final 12+ games. Playoffs are three months away with a game every week after the bye.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is what it is. I don't hold it against him. Hopefully he can stay healthy afterwards. But I am also wondering about the training.
I hold it against the training staff. Watson isn't the only one with hamstring issues.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't. They need these guys for the meat of the schedule without lingering effects. Take another 3 weeks to fully heal for the final 12+ games. Playoffs are three months away with a game every week after the bye.
Anyone listed as probable should play. Anyone questionable should play as much as they can. The winner of this game takes a big step toward winning the division, and that's probably the only way we get in this year. Doubt we'll have the record for a wildcard.

Reaction score
Notice how Detroit shut down the Falcons offense yesterday.
That’s an excellent point. Detroit did an excellent job studying that game film of what they did to us and countering their Running game. Bijan Robinson and Tyler Allgeier had just 45 yards rushing on 17 total carries. Brian Branch and Jack Campbell we’re big time impact additives and they are proving both worthy early picks.

Reaction score
Anyone listed as probable should play. Anyone questionable should play as much as they can. The winner of this game takes a big step toward winning the division, and that's probably the only way we get in this year. Doubt we'll have the record for a wildcard.
This year could very well be one where 9 or 10 games takes the North. Getting to 3 Wins inside 4 weeks would be enormous. After a Win, Staying at .500 on remaining opponents puts us squarely in the 1st place North Division race

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s an excellent point. Detroit did an excellent job studying that game film of what they did to us and countering their Running game. Bijan Robinson and Tyler Allgeier had just 45 yards rushing on 17 total carries. Brian Branch and Jack Campbell we’re big time impact additives and they are proving both worthy early picks.
Made Ridder try to beat them. No way.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take another 3 months off for the final two games when we are already out of playoff contention.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When it's your primary competition it is. It's not like basketball, hockey or baseball where you can make up for one loss. In the NFL one game often decides the division and tie-breakers start with head-to-head.
While tie breaks and head to head ARE important just remember

Winner is 3 and 1 and loser is 2 and 2

13 games to go

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
When it's your primary competition it is. It's not like basketball, hockey or baseball where you can make up for one loss. In the NFL one game often decides the division and tie-breakers start with head-to-head.
Is a win over a division foe more important than any other? Sure. Is it important enough 1/4 the way into the season to approach with a must win for playoff seeding mentality that all hands on deck no matter their health? No. Knowing now what the Packers have in Jordan, would it not have been better to bench AR12 for 3-4 weeks when he broke his throwing hand? Let it heal properly to make a final commanding MVP worthy push to the postseason instead of an average QB effort.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously looking for a win but I just hope we get away without major injuries. All this B.S. about player safety being paramount then trotting these guys out there on 3 days rest is so blatantly hypocritical it’s sickening. The good news is we get a mini bye week afterwards.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While tie breaks and head to head ARE important just remember

Winner is 3 and 1 and loser is 2 and 2

13 games to go
That, and teams are going to be different down the road. This young team is going to be better and a different team in week 16 then they are now

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously looking for a win but I just hope we get away without major injuries. All this B.S. about player safety being paramount then trotting these guys out there on 3 days rest is so blatantly hypocritical it’s sickening. The good news is we get a mini bye week afterwards.
I'm not intentionally being a troll here, but am legitimately asking if there are any studies out there showing that there is a statistically significant increase in injuries related to Thursday night games?

I only found one study that said there are actually less injuries on Thursday night games: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30848976/#:~:text=The relative risk of injury,Sunday and Monday night games.

Here is an article that says 2017 bucked the trend, with more Thursday injuries: https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...es-have-more-injuries-in-2017-they-were-right

This might be the most significant report. They address several issues related to Thursday games, but when it comes to injuries they review mulitple studies and then do their own. I like that they didn't rely on injury reports, but truly which injuries occurred during the games: https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2021/05/thursday-night-football-better-than-you-think/

It appears to me that players have said that there are more injuries, and the media has relayed that message, but there is no evidence to show that it is true. I think that it just sucks to play so soon afterward, because your body still aches.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand those that say this is only Week 4 with a long season to go, you can't overlook the importance of a division game against your main rival for the NFC North title. I don't care if it's Week 1 or Week 18, these games matter more than any other. I suspect that some guys that were on the bubble to play on Sunday were held out so that they could play on Thursday. Aaron Jones appeared to be ready to play, at least the way that Fox reported on his pre-game warmup. LaFleur would never say it publicly, but I suspect that Jones is the prime example of a guy held back to play in this more important game.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season is going better than I expected and a win Thursday night would be HUGE. However, I just want the guys to continue to improve and nobody else getting hurt - especially on the OL.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is a win over a division foe more important than any other? Sure. Is it important enough 1/4 the way into the season to approach with a must win for playoff seeding mentality that all hands on deck no matter their health? No. Knowing now what the Packers have in Jordan, would it not have been better to bench AR12 for 3-4 weeks when he broke his throwing hand? Let it heal properly to make a final commanding MVP worthy push to the postseason instead of an average QB effort.
Back in 1963 the Packers finished 11-2-1. The Bears topped us with 11-1-2. Our 2 losses were both to the Bears. If just one play that season had gone the other way we either win the conference or face the Bears in a playoff match up. All games in most every season are critical.

Members online

Latest posts