2023 Game 16 rematch with the Vikings pregame thread: Win or stay home

PackFan727

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense has made worse offenses look like world beaters (see NYG and Panthers games). I don't see this as an easy victory at all, especially in Minneapolis.
I see reality setting in on Sunday. Packers “defense” will make Jaren Hall become the NFC’s Offensive Player of the Week. Hope I’m wrong.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you blame him? He's one of the best pure man-to-man cover guys in the league. He was shutting all-Pro WRs down on a weekly basis before Barry came along and instead of playing him to his strengths JB forces him to line up 10+ yards deep in his worthless zones schemes. Get a competent DC who knows how to use his players and he'll return to form here.
Do I blame him for being unhappy? No. Do I blame him for putting himself ahead of the team? Yes.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Can you blame him? He's one of the best pure man-to-man cover guys in the league. He was shutting all-Pro WRs down on a weekly basis before Barry came along and instead of playing him to his strengths JB forces him to line up 10+ yards deep in his worthless zones schemes. Get a competent DC who knows how to use his players and he'll return to form here.
Meaning he won't be naming himself Captain? He'll behave as a responsible professional who is being paid millions of dollars would behave?

Look, I'm grossly overpaid but, I'm not about to name myself Chairman of the Board and order a stock split - which would probably get me suspended indefinitely - regardless of the fact that I'm pretty good at what I do.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't suspend himself. I do agree that his pre-game goof-up is probably worthy of a suspension, but FFS this is basically a playoff game this week. I kinda want to say why not just fine him 25,000 and forget the suspension? But I guess if that's the policy you have to maintain integrity.
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between Deffering and we want our defense to start???

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between Deffering and we want our defense to start???
If you say I want our defense on the field you are basically choosing to kickoff. The other team then gets their choice in the 2nd half. They would most likely choose to receive the kick thus starting both halves on offense. If you say defer your opponent gets choice (likely to recieve the 1st half kick) and you get choice in the 2nd half.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Emanual Wilson practiced. I like seeing him as the 2nd RB in this game. If practicing in full means he's completely ready.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you say I want our defense on the field you are basically choosing to kickoff. The other team then gets their choice in the 2nd half. They would most likely choose to receive the kick thus starting both halves on offense. If you say defer your opponent gets choice (likely to recieve the 1st half kick) and you get choice in the 2nd half.
Since when is that a thing? Enough of the stupid rules! Touchback if caught behind 25. Ball is dead in end zone if no one touches it. Such B.S.!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a dumb question. A lot of people don't understand it because it never comes up as an issue.

Deferring in the NFL is quite an interesting option. In principle when a team defers they are basically saying they will take the ball in the second half. This can be interpreted as “I prefer to choose in the second half.” At this point the referee will ask the opposing team what they want to do.

When he said the Packers preferred defense, they would be "choosing defense," which would mean the other team would get offense, and be able to choose which they wanted to be to start the second half. When you say defer, that means the team that lost the flip gets to choose which they want to start the game.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since when is that a thing? Enough of the stupid rules! Touchback if caught behind 25. Ball is dead in end zone if no one touches it. Such B.S.!

The team winning the coin flip selects one of the following three options:

1. Select a goal / end zone to defend (rarely used except in extremely windy conditions)
2. Kick or Receive
3. Defer decision between #1 or #2 to the second half (this option wasn't added until 2008)

Jaire would not have been the first player to mess up a coin flip! My dad was a Packer fan, but I remember him telling me about how a coin flip messed up the 1962 AFL Championship game. It actually involved a coach telling a player to choose option #1!

The game went to overtime, and the captain of the Dallas Texans was instructed by their coach that if they won the toss, he should choose to defend the end zone that would put the wind at their back. When his team won the toss, the Texans captain said "We'll kick to the clock."

It was a less forgiving time. Since the Dallas captain's first words were "We'll kick," the Houston Oilers got to receive AND pick which goal to defend (putting the wind at their back). However, the Texans eventually won in the second OT (when they got the wind).

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings are starting their rookie QB, Hall.

I'd say this is good, but this defense just made that High School QB in NY look like an All Pro.

So we shall see,
Vikings need some good news. Last season they won the close ones. This year not so. They know they will probably be gone in the first round if they make it. Hall has to get the ball to the guys he has. They will simplify their offense.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. Select a goal / end zone to defend (rarely used except in extremely windy conditions)
2. Kick or Receive
3. Defer decision between #1 or #2 to the second half (this option wasn't added until 2008)

Jaire would not have been the first player to mess up a coin flip! My dad was a Packer fan, but I remember him telling me about how a coin flip messed up the 1962 AFL Championship game. It actually involved a coach telling a player to choose option #1!

The game went to overtime, and the captain of the Dallas Texans was instructed by their coach that if they won the toss, he should choose to defend the end zone that would put the wind at their back. When his team won the toss, the Texans captain said "We'll kick to the clock."

It was a less forgiving time. Since the Dallas captain's first words were "We'll kick," the Houston Oilers got to receive AND pick which goal to defend (putting the wind at their back). However, the Texans eventually won in the second OT (when they got the wind).
Yes..I know those 3. Never heard of the weird language. You think you say start on defense..that means you get the ball in 2nd half.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't say he suspended himself AND I believe he is doing whatever he can to get himself traded, he knew damn well what he was doing, and needs to be slapped back into his wheelhouse - if someone (I'm looking at you J-E-T-S) will take over that contract.

Why the suspension? I suspect he doesn't get paid a game check. $25k is walkin' around money... 1/17th of his annual might get his head out of his butt. THAT he understands ..
Disagree. I think he just publicly showed the fans what he truly is.... a dumb ***. I wish Gutekunst had suspended him for the rest of the season. I think Gutekunst now needs to hunt for his permanent replacement.

Reaction score
There needs to be a better way of compensating athletes in this league. There should be a year end assessment with big or small bonuses based on performance and not a big paycheck before a season. This has bit us with the salary cap for people not on the field. What motivation is there to get out there if you already got paid?????
Some players have per game incentives, but yes there needs to be a % of salary tied to % of games played.
100% salary if <=3 games missed
85% if <=6 games missed
70% salary <=9 games missed
55% salary <=12 games missed.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2. Kick or Receive

I remember an AFL playoff game when the wind was horrific. In overtime the winner of the toss elected to kick off. It was the right call. Don't remember who and I hardly ever watched AFL.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I said it wrong like Alexander. They elected to defend one of the goals. The one that gave them the wind.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
So, hard for me to get excited about this one. I really want them to beat MN, but it's hard for me to see them doing it. Not sure the disconnect from the Lions and Chiefs games, but it appears the plane has crashed into the mountains. It's a toxic environment right now and changes need to be made in the offseason. My mind is kind of already in the offseason.

MN still has something to play for. Yes, GB does too, but they just can't seem to rally together. The defense is such a liability. I think someone mentioned to just run it on 1st and 2nd down and then see if Hall can convert in short yardage. That's exactly what I would do. This defense is embarrassingly bad. The way they have played lately has just been pathetic. The most telling thing to me about this defense is the lack of turnovers. One of the big reasons they beat the Lions and the Chiefs was big turnovers. They are 31st in the league in interceptions. They have 6 on the season. Only team worse is the Titans at 4. They are also 23rd is sacks, which builds the case that they can't get strip sacks. Something they did against the Lions. With the lack of ability to take the ball away and get after the QB, I feel like it will be more of the same. Painful to watch when MN has the ball regardless of who their QB is.

On the flip side, MN has actually played pretty solid defense. They are 12th in the league in yardage given up and 10th in points allowed. They can get after the QB a bit too with being ranked 12th in sacks as well. They're middling in pass defense but pride themselves on stopping the run. They are 9th in the league in stopping the run. They did have some injuries on defense and namely DJ Wonnum. MN's beat reporter said he's a huge loss on run defense.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I see a loss here. MN's defense will slow the Packers down just enough and Justin Jefferson will have a career day. MN 30 GB 21.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't trust this defense to stop MN even though they have been struggling and have a PS QB starting Sunday night. We have an unfortunate knack to make lousy QBs look like All Stars. I am looking forward to watching the offense for sure.

Reaction score
Me thinks we should be aggressive and send a 5th rusher regular.

Give Jaren Hall a dose of the NFL upfront and close. That also clogs rushing lanes more because your stuffing a crease.

Keep Quay Walker parallel to Hall at all times. This time don’t wait to take my advice into the 2nd half, like they did with DeVito. It’s very obvious to me the Vikings saw our weakness against a scrambling QB due to complete negligence. They didn’t bench Mullens to discipline him, the activated Hall to run all over us

Scouting key:

“His accuracy becomes an issue when not allow to properly set his feet”.

So.., don’t let him set his feet. Make him run

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me thinks we should be aggressive and send a 5th rusher regular.

Give Jaren Hall a dose of the NFL upfront and close. That also clogs rushing lanes more because your stuffing a crease.

Keep Quay Walker parallel to Hall at all times. This time don’t wait to take my advice into the 2nd half, like they did with DeVito. It’s very obvious to me the Vikings saw our weakness against a scrambling QB due to complete negligence. They didn’t bench Mullens to discipline him, the activated Hall to run all over us

Scouting key:

“His accuracy becomes an issue when not allow to properly set his feet”.

So.., don’t let him set his feet. Make him run
The short time he had to step in against us when we were down by 14 he went 3-4 for 23 yards. He was sacked once and fumbled. This week he will have time to prepare. The Packers squandered several 4th quarter chances to tie the game. After the blocked FG the Vikings tried to use clock when they got the ball back. O'Connell will have a plan for him. He may not be able to see the whole field and deliver perfect strikes like Cousins but he can bide time and take what the D gives him ( which could be a lot ). He does not necessarily have to go long. The Viking receivers are talented enough to run after the catch.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MLF allows Joe Barry to call a defense that allows Jaren Hall to win a must win game. That would be extremely embarrassing to say the least

At what point does the head coaches decision making cone into question?

coulomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MLF allows Joe Barry to call a defense that allows Jaren Hall to win a must win game. That would be extremely embarrassing to say the least

At what point does the head coaches decision making cone into question?
MLF has alluded to the fact that he is not going to fire JB during the season.

Going to wait until his contract is up, and then tell everyone what a great job he has done, and let him go.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
MLF has alluded to the fact that he is not going to fire JB during the season.

Going to wait until his contract is up, and then tell everyone what a great job he has done, and let him go.
Starting to wonder if there isn't some type of poison pill severance in ole JBs contract. 2 years pay if fired or something like that.

Members online