2023 Division round at the SF

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that Carolina offense was horrific except against us. To finish 4th when you have to be out on the field all day is quite an accomplishment.
Yes...those guys on Carolina D deserve a lot of credit. You think about going to work everyday, knowing the other half of your team cannot support the effort you are giving trying to keep things close. After a while it has to become depressing. But their final # 4 overall ranking shows they never gave up. They played hard every game.
Kudos to them.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the game replay on NFL Network and it gets more depressing and disappointing every time I see it. We beat ourselves between mistakes and not taking advantage of theirs, we did more to lose that game than they did to win it. Not that you know it listening to the talk and heads on the sports shows in the morning the Packers have nothing to do with the 49ers barely getting by.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the game replay on NFL Network and it gets more depressing and disappointing every time I see it. We beat ourselves between mistakes and not taking advantage of theirs, we did more to lose that game than they did to win it. Not that you know it listening to the talk and heads on the sports shows in the morning the Packers have nothing to do with the 49ers barely getting by.
Absolutely correct. Ability wise I felt we were the equal of SF. What we lacked was experience. But lack of experience doesn't explain it all. I felt there were some questionable play calls that sunk us too.
It stinks we lost a game We could have easily won, but time to move on my friend. You don't want to lock yourself in that depression cage to long. Not good for your mental health. Its not worth it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. Ability wise I felt we were the equal of SF. What we lacked was experience. But lack of experience doesn't explain it all. I felt there were some questionable play calls that sunk us too.
It stinks we lost a game We could have easily won, but time to move on my friend. You don't want to lock yourself in that depression cage to long. Not good for your mental health. Its not worth it.

Oh I'm okay my friend. I was over 10 minutes after the game ended. I just hate wasted opportunities. You don't know when you get more.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I'm okay my friend. I was over 10 minutes after the game ended. I just hate wasted opportunities. You don't know when you get more.
I know what you mean about wasted opportunities. If this was the Rodgers team made up of elder statesman on the downward side of their career I would agree.
But we are far removed from that kind of team.
Going forward I see us competing at a high level for many years. After their performance this season I put us right along side teams like SF, KC etc. that make the playoffs every year. We are in great shape....

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going forward I see us competing at a high level for many years. After their performance this season I put us right along side teams like SF, KC etc. that make the playoffs every year. We are in great shape....
Expectations are going to be much higher going forward, I agree with that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Was almost a turning point. MLF appeared to try and copy teams that did that during the season. What he failed to heed was the opponent. There is a reason the 9ers were the top dog. And without Dillon and a top center crashing that 9er line is not always going to work.
Maybe the coaching staff had a trend for what worked vs that Def?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about wasted opportunities. If this was the Rodgers team made up of elder statesman on the downward side of their career I would agree.
I agree. I pretty much feel like I did after the 94 season. I thought that team was ready to win the Super Bowl the next year. I don't know that we'll win it next year, but I truly believe we are going to be very tough to deal with and NO ONE is going to be in a hurry to play us. This team is going to be dangerous! I'm certain of it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was sad was that we wasted maybe Aaron Jones best game of the season. You run for that many yards against the 9ers and only put up 21 points is devastating.

DigRun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I pretty much feel like I did after the 94 season. I thought that team was ready to win the Super Bowl the next year. I don't know that we'll win it next year, but I truly believe we are going to be very tough to deal with and NO ONE is going to be in a hurry to play us. This team is going to be dangerous! I'm certain of it.
I believe this as well...just looking at the '24 schedule gets me psyched for good match-up's. Count on the 9'ers and Texans both coming to Lambeau as primetime showcase games...would love to be in that locker room to hear the build-up with the revenge angle and the 2 young QB phenoms trading spirals as maybe a SB prelude down the road somewhere?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe this as well...just looking at the '24 schedule gets me psyched for good match-up's. Count on the 9'ers and Texans both coming to Lambeau as primetime showcase games...would love to be in that locker room to hear the build-up with the revenge angle and the 2 young QB phenoms trading spirals as maybe a SB prelude down the road somewhere?
And maybe by deciding to seek a new DC the Packers realized they have a tougher 24 schedule than 23. Had we faced some of those teams this year our defensive stats and win-loss record could have looked much worse.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was sad was that we wasted maybe Aaron Jones best game of the season. You run for that many yards against the 9ers and only put up 21 points is devastating.
You are right, we wasted a lot of things in that game, especially on that first drive, we had that 4th and inches and wasted a big scoring opportunity on a failed QB sneak.
we get points there and it becomes a different game.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know how you feel about the 94 team. When Rodgers first became starting QB and got us that SB in 2011 I thought, or maybe expected we would see a few more of those before he retired. I don't know what happened that prevented us from doing so. It's not like we didn't have the talent. We had many big win seasons, won many division titles, went to the playoffs often, but somehow those guys just couldn't makie it happen. Thats why I was ok with trading Rodgers. We needed a change and I accepted the fact that it might be a few years before we saw any glimmer of hope. Boy was I surprised to see things blossom so quickly. If we can hold onto most of these guys we have a bright future ahead of us.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right, we wasted a lot of things in that game, especially on that first drive, we had that 4th and inches and wasted a big scoring opportunity on a failed QB sneak.
we get points there and it becomes a different game.
Red zone failures have been a huge contributor to many of MLF's playoff losses. The offense needs to improve that next season.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Red zone failures have been a huge contributor to many of MLF's playoff losses. The offense needs to improve that next season.
Yes on that one but I put the necessary improvement squarely on MLFs plate. The Offense can only run the play that's called. Making our guys rush to the line like madmen that was a mistake. The 49rs are not slouches and they were just a quick to line up with just about everyone in the box.
As some one else said Unless you are extremely confident your offensive line can over power your opponent that play was doomed and obviously we didn't have the man power to push the 49rs around.
That was a critcal moment in the game which required more thought than quick action. We were moving the ball well up to that point and a score there would have set a different tone. Instead we gave the 49rs a huge boost of confidence.
I wish at that point Love would have surveyed the situation, seen the set up, over ridden the call, and make a decision to call a time out, but he's just a first year guy, the coach is the commander, so I don't blame him, he was just following orders.
Maybe next time we face a situation like that things will be done differently.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, apparently a lot of NFL scouts and execs are already looking at us as early SB 59 favorites.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, apparently a lot of NFL scouts and execs are already looking at us as early SB 59 favorites.
I would agree that we are legitimately on our way. This is going to be a huge off season, between roster / salary cap decisions, a new DC , the draft and so on. I still think we'll be a year away as of now. A lot is going to depend on if all these young guys can take the next step. As I said in an earlier post the schedule will be tougher and everybody's going to have a book on all these young guys that they didn't have at the beginning of the season. Exciting times.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB has the potential to be a very good team in '24, but IMHO the schedule is incredibly tough.
Home: Chicago, Minny, Detroit. Arizona, San Fran, Houston, Indy, NO, Miami.

Away: Chicago, Minny, Detroit, Rams, Seattle, Jax, Tennessee, Philly.

7 '23 playoff teams (Detroit =2), and no "easy" games besides possibly AZ. Making the playoffs will be difficult but possible.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB has the potential to be a very good team in '24, but IMHO the schedule is incredibly tough.

7 '23 playoff teams (Detroit =2), and no "easy" games besides possibly AZ. Making the playoffs will be difficult but possible.
I'm just repeating what a lot of people who study the game for a living are starting to say.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Going to Seattle without Pete Carroll running the team? Maybe we end the losing streak there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not worried at all about the 24 schedule. These same guys beat the Lions, Chiefs, Rams and Cowboys. Outplayed the 49ers all night long as well. They like to be underdogs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I understand the packers have 11 draft picks in 2024. That is 5th highest among all teams.
A few sharp selections there plus a good find in a DC will only add to the foundation we already have.
Five in the top 100. We're going to be in very good shape. All is well in Packerland.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

7 '23 playoff teams (Detroit =2), and no "easy" games besides possibly AZ. Making the playoffs will be difficult but possible
NFC North Non-common opponents

Lions - Bills, cowboys and Bucs
Packers - Dolphins, Saints and Eagles
vikings - Falcons, Jets and Giants
Bears - Panthers, Patriots, Commanders

Obviously home and away matters against common opponents and I didn't really look into that. Also when we play them (early in the season, late, after a bye) will have some impact but those are tough to predict.

Assuming a reasonable improvement for each team I think the division will be in play although the Lions will likely still be the favorites. If Cousins is back the vikings could surprise. I don't give the Bears much of a chance.

As for the other divisions I see the Cowboys as the only team from the East making it unless the Eagles make a dramatic turnaround. The West will be tough and the 49ers, Rams and Seahawks could all make it although what Seattle does without Pete Carroll is a wildcard. I don't see the cardinals as much of a threat. The South has 4 teams that could win the division but that's about it. They beat each other up and I don't see anyone pulling off a WC spot. So IMO you have 2 WCs from the North or west and 1 from the other with Eagles being possibilities and maybe the Bucs and J

From a cursory glance this looks pretty much like 2023 all over again and we all know that probably won't happen so feel free to disregard everything except the non-common opponent part. That part is a fact.

Members online

Latest posts