WR being Packers biggest post-draft weakness???

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

As for Cook's drops and blocking ability, I think both are based primarily on PFF stats that have entered the echo chamber, along with one wide open end zone drop as the #1 link in a google search on "Jared Cook drops".

PFF scolded him for 8 drops in 2015. However, Sporting Charts charged him with 4, Fox Sports shows 4. It reminds me of the Finley debate, and Finley is the dynamic that the Packers want to recreate. Whether he catches 87% or 95% of catchable balls, he'll need to be accounted for. Rodgers is a guy you could cover with a LB, and a slow one at that.

Sporting Charts is way more lenient in assigning drops though. I prefer to take a look at PFF's numbers. As far as I can tell the numbers you mentioned are from 2014 though as I can't find any from last season.

H

HardRightEdge

Sporting Charts is way more lenient in assigning drops though. I prefer to take a look at PFF's numbers. As far as I can tell the numbers you mentioned are from 2014 though as I can't find any from last season.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

Since you didn't mention Fox, I assume you found it so I won't go back to re-find that link.

Drop counts are like tackle counts...it's in the eye of the beholder.

Clearly PFF is more stringent, at least in Cook's case, since they scored him lower than those other 2 sources. I would not assume, however, that the 3 levels of review for one player is consistent with the 3 levels of review for another. Consider scouts and GMs assessing college prospects with often wildly varying opinions based on what they've seen on tape.

Some drops are obvious; many are not. And if you're going to be very stringent, when a guy plays with sub-par QBs his drop rate may be higher than otherwise if he's required to do more extending for off target throws.

I'll wait to see what he looks like in preseason.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care what the depth chart says. If a TE lines up in the slot or as a wideout 1/2 the time, he's a wide receiver for those snaps. If it lines up like a duck and runs the routes of a duck, then it's a duck.

As for Cook's drops and blocking ability, I think both are based primarily on PFF stats that have entered the echo chamber, along with one wide open end zone drop as the #1 link in a google search on "Jared Cook drops".

PFF scolded him for 8 drops in 2015. However, Sporting Charts charged him with 4, Fox Sports shows 4. It reminds me of the Finley debate, and Finley is the dynamic that the Packers want to recreate. Whether he catches 87% or 95% of catchable balls, he'll need to be accounted for. Rodgers is a guy you could cover with a LB, and a slow one at that.

I'll go a step further. In 2014, Faster Eddie was developing into a receiving threat that needed to be accounted for. In 2015, with Fat Eddie, not so much. There's nowhere to go but up on that count.

In the absence of other information, I share your default to Cook's favorable PFF blocking grade. But it's worth noting that with less than elite players, PFF often shoots them to the top of their grades one year and to the bottom the next. I'll reserve judgment until he actually shows what he can do in this offense with these players next to him.

Getting back to the original point, by the mere fact we're having this discussion is evidence of the fact that writer was mailing it in and presumably getting paid to do so.

First, this writer had one paragraph to explain a weakness. Not real sure we can fault the guy for not fitting an in-depth analysis into fewer than 75 words.

Second, great article on CBSSports.com on the Cook signing by the Packers (link below, you should read it, very well done) in which the writer went back and watched all 75 of Cook's targets from 2015 and created about 50 GIFs (which are used throughout the article) and broke down all the targets. The writer (and you can see some of the GIFs on the site) assigned Cook a negative grade on 13 of those targets. Seriously, go read the article, there are four GIFs of different drops and a link to another. Final thoughts from the writer were that Cook has been hurt by his QBs but he's also hurt himself quite a bit.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...good-and-bad-jared-cook-brings-to-the-packers

H

HardRightEdge

First, this writer had one paragraph to explain a weakness. Not real sure we can fault the guy for not fitting an in-depth analysis into fewer than 75 words.
My feeling is if you can't say what needs to be said in 75 words, then use more words or don't say anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, ILB is by far our weakest group right now.

Our WR group just lacks any star power at this point. At least in perception. Adams fizzled last year, so did Cobb. Nelson is a question mark... is he the same guy?

All this speculation on wr's goes away real quick if they stay healthy and have a good year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think drops are an over rated statistic. First of all they are highly subjective as the difference between the PFF and the other source indicate. Second, Every play is dependent on the plays that came before them so if a player drops a pass on 2nd and 10 that would have given the team a 3/1 but instead forced them to pass on 3rd down and it goes for a TD well, couldn't you say its a good thing he dropped the pass? Plus we are usually talking about 1 play every 2 games or so.

Yes, its a huge disappointment when a player lets a sure TD go through his hands but if a player gets 6 targets a game and drops 1 pass every 2 games I'm not going to get all worked up about it.

Besides, if we are going to count drops we should probably start counting catches that probably should not have been caught as a separate category as well.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's undeniable that the receiver corps was the biggest disappointment of the 2015 Packers. After ranking in the league's top ten to top five for 20+ seasons they ranked 25th last year. Even with Aaron Rodgers sidelined with a fractured collarbone for half the 2013 season the Packers still ranked 6th in passing yardage that year.

The Packers were 31st in net yard per attempt in 2015 with only a 5.7 napc.

But was it personnel or the blend of injuries, players underachieving and coaching that accounted for the Pack's big passing drop off last season. Judging from the relative lack of a big overhaul the Packers seem to believe it's not a personnel problem.

Perhaps a look at just what the Packers have in their wideouts will help restore the confidence.

Jordy Nelson:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Randall Cobb:

Ty Montgomery:

Davante Adams: http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/0ap3000000456802/Divisional-Round-Davante-Adams-highlights

Jared Abbrederis:

Trevor Davis:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Personally, I think drops are an over rated statistic.

Yes, its a huge disappointment when a player lets a sure TD go through his hands but if a player gets 6 targets a game and drops 1 pass every 2 games I'm not going to get all worked up about it..

There are a lot of close games in the NFL and a drop at an untimely moment can cost a team.

There's no denying the Packers receivers as well as Jared Cook dropped too many passes last season and have to improve in that area in 2016.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of close games in the NFL and a drop at an untimely moment can cost a team.

There's no denying the Packers receivers as well as Jared Cook dropped too many passes last season and have to improve in that area in 2016.

So can a penalty, so can a poor pass, so can a misread block, so can a miss run route, so can a dozen other things that don't get harped on nearly as much as a dropped pass and some of them happen with much more frequency. It may be a more visible which may make it more of a target for complaint but to me its just a part of the game. Like I said, I hate to see it a well but I don't get worked up over it.

How many is too many. How many are players allowed to drop. Does it matter when they drop them. What if one player drops 1 pass all season but its the last one of the last game and it cost them a playoff spot is that better or worse than the guy who dropped 8 passes throughout the season but the team won all those games? Its just another stat, and a very fluid one at that, that can be manipulated to prove whatever you want.

I'd like to see improvement in that area as well. I'd like to see a season with 0 drops but I also realize that they happen and while frustrating is no different than a missed FG or an ill timed penalty or any number of negative plays. I'd like all our plays to be perfect but if I expect it I'll be very disappointed.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So can a penalty, so can a poor pass, so can a misread block, so can a miss run route, so can a dozen other things that don't get harped on nearly as much as a dropped pass and some of them happen with much more frequency. It may be a more visible which may make it more of a target for complaint but to me its just a part of the game. Like I said, I hate to see it a well but I don't get worked up over it.

How many is too many. How many are players allowed to drop. Does it matter when they drop them. What if one player drops 1 pass all season but its the last one of the last game and it cost them a playoff spot is that better or worse than the guy who dropped 8 passes throughout the season but the team won all those games? Its just another stat, and a very fluid one at that, that can be manipulated to prove whatever you want.

I'd like to see improvement in that area as well. I'd like to see a season with 0 drops but I also realize that they happen and while frustrating is no different than a missed FG or an ill timed penalty or any number of negative plays. I'd like all our plays to be perfect but if I expect it I'll be very disappointed.

I understand your point of view but the reason I'm concerned about it is that a receiver having questionable hands is more likely to drop a ball at an important moment.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Would this qualify as "historically bad?"

Well, Jones averaged 17.8 yards per reception (ranked fourth in the league) compared to Adams' 9.7. That means Rodgers targeted JJ on a lot of low percentage throws resulting in a completion rate close to only 50%.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TBH with addition of Cooks that takes a lot of pressure of ALL the wrs. I don't think people truly understand the important of a good to great Tight end. There are basically two types of defenses teams play in the NFL...man or zone. If you don't have guys who can beat man converge then you are in trouble. We saw that last year, and boy did we struggle. Throw in a Tightend who's really only solid in the red zone... but can't beat man coverage either.. then there's no one open. Rodgers does hold the all to long at times..but he's done that his entire career. He'd rather throw the ball and get the big pay. I'm ok with that. This year I think we see that again.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Jones averaged 17.8 yards per reception (ranked fourth in the league) compared to Adams' 9.7. That means Rodgers targeted JJ on a lot of low percentage throws resulting in a completion rate close to only 50%.

That comeback route. Half of the catches Jones had was that play. But when teams started playing more aggressive with him and challenging him at the line you saw a drop in his production big time.

H

HardRightEdge

Would be nice to have a job where you can tell your boss that you don't wanna do your assignment.
It would be nice if shallow analysis is not thought to be saleable. We can say "it is what is" in the texting/twitter/social media age, but that does make it worth our time.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still worried about the inside linebackers as the biggest weakness. We think between Ryan, drafting Martinez coming back and Barrington being healthy we'll be ok, but with how it's been the last several years, I gotta see it to believe it. WR corps is already better than last year at least in the short run with Jordy being added back to the offense. If he's not "Jordy" eventually defenses will pick up on it and cover Cobb, but short term I think the WR corps is fine.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still worried about the inside linebackers as the biggest weakness. We think between Ryan, drafting Martinez coming back and Barrington being healthy we'll be ok, but with how it's been the last several years, I gotta see it to believe it. WR corps is already better than last year at least in the short run with Jordy being added back to the offense. If he's not "Jordy" eventually defenses will pick up on it and cover Cobb, but short term I think the WR corps is fine.

ILB should be a concern for any fan, staff or owner in GB. However, there is no denying it has been upgraded the last couple years...the question is has it simply been upgrading from like a F/D- to a D+/C- or are we going to achieve at minimum an average (C) production or higher out of it. With our young guys here I'm going to be fully content if they can minimize their negative impact on the games outcome, and simply grow into a position group that is good not great in 2016.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

ILB should be a concern for any fan, staff or owner in GB. However, there is no denying it has been upgraded the last couple years...the question is has it simply been upgrading from like a F/D- to a D+/C- or are we going to achieve at minimum an average (C) production or higher out of it. With our young guys here I'm going to be fully content if they can minimize their negative impact on the games outcome, and simply grow into a position group that is good not great in 2016.

The early reports out of offseason practices are positive about Martinez but nevertheless I don't agree the inside linebacker position has been upgraded adequately over the last few years.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I NEVER said its been upgraded adequately in my eyes either...upgraded yes, and in my opinion that isn't argued...again though just how big of an upgrade is tough to see now with Ryan going into year 2, Martinez a rookie and Barrington well standing on the sideline.

I honestly don't care if Martinez and Ryan appear to flesh out into a good or adaquate ILB corps....I'd still love a game changer drafted in future years...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly don't care if Martinez and Ryan appear to flesh out into a good or adaquate ILB corps....I'd still love a game changer drafted in future years...

Agreed. The Packers could have taken care of that by drafting Myles Jack this year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A weak ILB group doesn't hold a team back like other positions. Last year's ILB group didn't hold the team back so I don't really see how that could be the biggest "weakness" from a position standpoint since it stands to only be better this year than last...yes, the players certainly aren't impact guys but, realistically, how many "impact" ILBs are there in the NFL? Four, five?