WR being Packers biggest post-draft weakness???

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A weak ILB group doesn't hold a team back like other positions. Last year's ILB group didn't hold the team back so I don't really see how that could be the biggest "weakness" from a position standpoint since it stands to only be better this year than last...yes, the players certainly aren't impact guys but, realistically, how many "impact" ILBs are there in the NFL? Four, five?

Pushing your best OLB to play out of his naturally game changing spot to play ILB, is holding back the team.....to what extent who knows, but my bet is it is atleast some.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

A weak ILB group doesn't hold a team back like other positions.

Take a look back at the NFCCG vs. Seattle. The inside linebackers were directly responsible for 20 of the Seahawks points. It's beyond my understanding that some fans continue to believe that a position on which two players line up on nearly every defensive snap isn't that important for a team's success.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look back at the NFCCG vs. Seattle. The inside linebackers were directly responsible for 20 of the Seahawks points. It's beyond my understanding that some fans continue to believe that a position on which two players line up on nearly every defensive snap isn't that important for a team's success.

You specify one game, two years ago; a game I might add, that should NEVER have come down to that play if the offense had managed touchdowns after the "subpar" offense forced Wilson into his worst game ever as a pro. It's beyond my understanding how fans can look at last year's defense and say that ILB is the weakest spot on the team when, without question, it was the offense that held the Packers back. ILB is NOT that important position on a team. The Packers have been AWFUL at ILB and NT and that's why it stands out. Teams can be average at ILB and be successful and the Packers are much closer to average if you anticipate improvement from last year and getting guys healthy at the position.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pushing your best OLB to play out of his naturally game changing spot to play ILB, is holding back the team.....to what extent who knows, but my bet is it is atleast some.

So last season it was Matthews playing out of position that cost the team? Not the terrible (for the Packers) offensive play?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

You specify one game, two years ago; a game I might add, that should NEVER have come down to that play if the offense had managed touchdowns after the "subpar" offense forced Wilson into his worst game ever as a pro. It's beyond my understanding how fans can look at last year's defense and say that ILB is the weakest spot on the team when, without question, it was the offense that held the Packers back. ILB is NOT that important position on a team. The Packers have been AWFUL at ILB and NT and that's why it stands out. Teams can be average at ILB and be successful and the Packers are much closer to average if you anticipate improvement from last year and getting guys healthy at the position.

We aren't talking about what happened last season but the weakest position group entering 2016. With the offense having the talent necessary to bounce back there's absolutely no doubt that inside linebacker is the weakest position group.

The coaching staff moving the defense's best player out of position to improve the performance at inside linebacker should tell you that the position not being important is BS.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So last season it was Matthews playing out of position that cost the team? Not the terrible (for the Packers) offensive play?

I re-read...I never labeled that as the deciding factor that ENTIRELY cost the team. One cannot say "x" and "x" alone is what cost us the SB Trophy in the end, if one does they would show their lack of intelligence and ability to have a discussion about such things.

I agree the lack of offensive production was a big factor...how big? Who knows, but definitely one of the bigger ones.

Just like the lack of game changing or even solid game controlling ILB play has been unless we move our BEST OLB to cover the tremendous hole ILB has been for years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts