Worst RB's in the NFL

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I can't complain too much about this, because let's face it, our guys are unproven, and they haven't done much in the preseason. But they should be fine this year if the O-line improves. I think this low ranking is based mostly on lack of name recognition, anyway. Ahman Green was injury-prone and very average over the past two seasons, but people knew who he was, which is why the Packer running game was not held in such low regard by the national writers. Here's the segment from the article, which is about the "best and worst" in the NFL:

Worst running back combo

Brandon Jackson, Vernand Morency and Noah Herron are slated to handle the running back duties for the Packers, but the trio enters the season with only two career starts between them. With so much inexperience at the position, it is hard to imagine this bunch capably filling Ahman Green's role as the starter. Jackson and Herron have only averaged slightly over three yards a carry during the preseason while Morency has missed the majority of training camp due to an injury. With the season a little over a week away, the inexperience at the running back position should be a major concern in Green Bay.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
From the same article.. kid has sticky fingers.. in a good way :)

The Green Bay Packers selected James Jones in the third round and were widely roundly criticized in league circles. But the former San Jose State star has been sensational during the preseason. Showing outstanding hands and running skills, Jones has 16 receptions for 196 yards with two touchdowns through three preseason games. His performance has quickly earned him the trust of Brett Favre and he is poised to make a big impact as a rookie. Packer fans should be reminded of Antonio Freeman when they watch Jones play during the fall.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/08/30/bestandworst/2.html

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Well, I can't complain too much about this, because let's face it, our guys are unproven, and they haven't done much in the preseason. But they should be fine this year if the O-line improves. I think this low ranking is based mostly on lack of name recognition, anyway. Ahman Green was injury-prone and very average over the past two seasons, but people knew who he was, which is why the Packer running game was not held in such low regard by the national writers. Here's the segment from the article, which is about the "best and worst" in the NFL:

Worst running back combo

Brandon Jackson, Vernand Morency and Noah Herron are slated to handle the running back duties for the Packers, but the trio enters the season with only two career starts between them. With so much inexperience at the position, it is hard to imagine this bunch capably filling Ahman Green's role as the starter. Jackson and Herron have only averaged slightly over three yards a carry during the preseason while Morency has missed the majority of training camp due to an injury. With the season a little over a week away, the inexperience at the running back position should be a major concern in Green Bay.

morency maybe out for awhile
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=655211

Pack93z

Reaction score
My opinion.. dump Mo.. and pick up someone else... the guy has never remained healthy.. so cut our losses now.. I mean he might be healthy for a couple games this year.. so what are we gaining by having him here. At the very least put him on the PUP at the beginning of the year.

I sure hope Miree is let go too.. he can't stay on the field and he looked very average against 2nd teamers last night.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Gotta look for a trade for RB to solidify the running game I would think.

Just someone that can be relied upon in case we continue to struggle.. a journeyman veteran at least.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:-? GB had best find a functional RB on the waiver wire in the next couple of days or the running game will never be a threat to anyone in the NFL. Brandon Jackson has not looked like the second coming of anything remotely resembling Ahmann Green or even a pedestrian RB. Morency is just an average back waiting for the next injury so Gb might as well use their Fb as the major ball carrier.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion.. dump Mo.. and pick up someone else... the guy has never remained healthy.. so cut our losses now.. I mean he might be healthy for a couple games this year.. so what are we gaining by having him here. At the very least put him on the PUP at the beginning of the year.

I sure hope Miree is let go too.. he can't stay on the field and he looked very average against 2nd teamers last night.

Availability is a key component in MM's philosophy. Mo is a talented RB but he get's dinged up too much. I think with cuts right around the corner someone may pop up that puts this on a new course.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:-? GB had best find a functional RB on the waiver wire in the next couple of days or the running game will never be a threat to anyone in the NFL. Brandon Jackson has not looked like the second coming of anything remotely resembling Ahmann Green or even a pedestrian RB. Morency is just an average back waiting for the next injury so Gb might as well use their Fb as the major ball carrier.
great post!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nothing i like better than panic in the morning.

(well its morning for me, i just woke up)

Pack93z

Reaction score

Other than DH.. I don't think anyone is in to much of a panic... maybe you should try getting up a little sooner. :razz:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Other than DH.. I don't think anyone is in to much of a panic... maybe you should try getting up a little sooner. :razz:

Gb might as well use their Fb as the major ball carrier.

Sounds like panic to me.

Maybe just stupidity. Hard to tell. Let me get some coffee.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

forget coffee trom, your gonna need an 8-ball of cocaine to deal with this type of panic.

Pack93z

Reaction score

Well if we don't pick anyone up this weekend .. it very well might be White or Wynn toting the rock.. by default.. :shock:

GB Running Backs =
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I expected Mo to be dinged by now... just not for the WHOLE camp...

But we will be alright.. Jackson will play and Herron probably... plus a waiver wire pickup.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chibiabos said:

Well if we don't pick anyone up this weekend .. it very well might be White or Wynn toting the rock.. by default.. :shock:

GB Running Backs =
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I expected Mo to be dinged by now... just not for the WHOLE camp...

But we will be alright.. Jackson will play and Herron probably... plus a waiver wire pickup.

-Herron's injury isn't serious.
-BJack had a MILD concussion and will be FINE.
-Mo will be ready by week 1, week 2 TOPS.
-Wynn or White will also be able to do things. Those are big boys who can help out on short yardage plays.

-Oh, and when the regular season starts it will be cut block city and a variety of playsets, which it wasn't in preseason.

But yeah, lets get our ******* in a bunch.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I will agree with alot of things.. but seeing Mo play more than a couple of weeks this year I can't see... talented but you can't play if you can't stay..

I don't think alot of people in GB are trusting him this year... just doesn't sound like he is ready to go.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Panic central, and all the blame going to the RB's, with none of it on the O-line who can't seem to open any holes.

Good luck finding a RB on waivers who will be able to outperform Morency and Jackson once the regular season comes around. That is a SERIOUS case of Grass is Greener syndrome.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in a panic, but I don't have a good feeling about it, that much I can tell you. I feel like every year, there is one big piece of the puzzle missing.. Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming management or taking any side in that never-ending debate (that seems to enter every thread), I'm just saying that if we don't have an effective running game, it doesn't matter how good Jones or Jennings are, or whether Donald Driver is healthy. It's frustrating. You look at our backfield and say, "who?"

I hope these guys shine, I really do, but despite the flash of Favre and our receiver corps, the Pack has really been a run team over the last several years (I know I'm stating the obvious here). That's when they've been successful.

Oh well. Then again a lot of it depends on the O-line anyway. come on O-line!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Panic central, and all the blame going to the RB's, with none of it on the O-line who can't seem to open any holes.

Good luck finding a RB on waivers who will be able to outperform Morency and Jackson once the regular season comes around. That is a SERIOUS case of Grass is Greener syndrome.

calicheesehead said:
I do believe that we vanilla'd down the cut blocking and ZBS for the preseason

This is what has been said multiple times by coaches and players, but I hope this doesn't get in the way of good rants by the negative nancies.

Why cant people put things in proper perspective? When we start cut blocking and running exotic plays, and the run game fails, go nuts! But till then, figure it out. Figure it out. C'mon.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MassPackersFan said:

calicheesehead said:
I do believe that we vanilla'd down the cut blocking and ZBS for the preseason

This is what has been said multiple times by coaches and players, but I hope this doesn't get in the way of good rants by the negative nancies.

Why cant people put things in proper perspective? When we start cut blocking and running exotic plays, and the run game fails, go nuts! But till then, figure it out. Figure it out. C'mon.

I agree, kind of.

The backs we have are very much unknown quantities or known quantities that have shown limitations. Add to this the fact that they have not been able to stay healthy all training camp and the lack of full utilization of the zone blocking scheme and a rather pedestrian playbook and you have rampant panic.

If the backs we have can get back to full health, and our line(especially Clifton and Tauscher) can show a little more comfort in the ZB scheme. We will see cut blocking in earnest and MM calling a game that will put the running game in a position to have success.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:p Call it panic if you will, but any serious investigation of the RB situation must realize GB is presently very limited in that area. "O" line aside, Injuries to GB's RB's have pretty well decimated any possibility of pre-season progress in the running game. All I'm saying is GB better find someone to fill the void and if you want to believe all is well; that's your perogative.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Brandon Jackson is being underestimated by almost everyone. He's looked pretty good when he's had room to run. But he's not a power runner who can pick up a few yards when there's no hole. He has already made some excellent plays as a receiver, which is unusual for a rookie. I haven't given up on Morency either. He managed to stay healthy last season, as far as I can remember, even though he carried the ball quite a bit and he also ran back kickoffs.

People are down on Jackson because he had trouble against Jacksonville, one of the best run defenses in the league. I expect him to show us a lot more when the games count and (hopefully) the O-line is opening some holes for him. He actually reminds me of Ahman Green, although less powerful and with a little more lateral movement. He is young, and he should only get better as we go through the season.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I haven't given up on Morency either. He managed to stay healthy last season, as far as I can remember, even though he carried the ball quite a bit and he also ran back kickoffs.

I agree with you about Jackson.. but Mo was nicked up early last year and then had to sit for two games late last year as his carries picked up. Thinking he can run the ball for 20 times a game and stay healthy isn't a winning bet in my estimation. If memory serves correct even in college and his first year with the Texans he had to sit on the shelf with injuries during the season.

Between him and Miree... they would make any HMO smile.

Members online

Latest posts