With Kuechly Retiring, something to think about

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This loss showed what we've known all along...and that's that our run D is severely lacking an impact ILB who can make plays, paritcularly at the LOS and not just "rack up tackles" 5+ yards past the LOS.

Blake Martinez seems like a good guy and a hustle guy...but simply put, he (and players like Jake Ryan) just aren't very good.

They're solid situational players

But with a true IMPACT ILB like Luke Kuechly retiring recently...

Whom all do you propose we replace him with? Guys like Kuechly don't "grow on trees"... so do we draft an ILB at the END of the 1st round who can make an impact like him? lol

or is it a scheme thing?

Obviously Pettine had a HORRIBLE game plan, so what is it?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you look at who's available for trade or in free agency and obviously the draft. ILB and WR need to be tackled to the same extent that DE and safety were in this past offseason. But literally, spare no expense and make roster moves to win now - including potentially trading next years 1st to move up the draft if there's a player that we like that's falling down the board.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB has been a problem since the Nick Barnett years. Hawk was decent but not really a superstar. Been needing one at that position for years. For whatever reason, it seems like that positions never been a priority.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you look at who's available for trade or in free agency and obviously the draft. ILB and WR need to be tackled to the same extent that DE and safety were in this past offseason. But literally, spare no expense and make roster moves to win now - including potentially trading next years 1st to move up the draft if there's a player that we like that's falling down the board.

who would be available through trade or FA though is my question? lol

I'm talking about an IMPACT ILB who can make plays at/near the LOS and perhaps create turnovers...

Although with the Smiths (besides tonight obviously) usually causing havoc in terms of pressures/sacks, I don't think we necessarily need an ILB who can/should be expected to get a bunch of sacks or INTs... just somebody who can make plays at the LOS or behind the LOS

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Had friends that went to the Packers 9ers game and had seats behind the Packers bench, the problem seem a lot like who was the real leader of the Packers I couldn’t see much from my TV and they had a closer view and when the Packers were falling behind no one was that motivator like was seen in other games,it was everyone on the bench shocked no one stood out as a leader to rally the Team that is disappointing with GB and if its not Rodgers role someone needs to step up as a leader

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had friends that went to the Packers 9ers game and had seats behind the Packers bench, the problem seem a lot like who was the real leader of the Packers I couldn’t see much from my TV and they had a closer view and when the Packers were falling behind no one was that motivator like was seen in other games,it was everyone on the bench shocked no one stood out as a leader to rally the Team that is disappointing with GB and if its not Rodgers role someone needs to step up as a leader

ok

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB has been a problem since the Nick Barnett years. Hawk was decent but not really a superstar. Been needing one at that position for years. For whatever reason, it seems like that positions never been a priority.

Our best ILB play was when we put Matthews there that one year. I'm one of the few who thought he was a better ILB than he was an edge rusher.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our best ILB play was when we put Matthews there that one year. I'm one of the few who thought he was a better ILB than he was an edge rusher.

I actually wanted us to resign him to play ILB.

Clay's athleticism and tenacity made him a great ILBer...but he wouldn't get his "sack numbers" if he played there

That's something where he'd just have to "take one for the betterment of the team" but I think long term he mentioned he would prefer to play outside/edge

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Clay's athleticism and tenacity made him a great ILBer...but he wouldn't get his "sack numbers" if he played there

That's something where he'd just have to "take one for the betterment of the team" but I think long term he mentioned he would prefer to play outside/edge
Not sure how many "great ILBer's" as you put it can be healthy and go complete games -plural- without recording a tackle or other stat.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously the packers are in need of a real headbanger in there at ILB. But IMO the need is even greater on the DL. No inside linebacker can stop the rushing attack we saw in the NFCC if the DL doesn’t have the horses to make plays. Lowry and Lancaster are gamers but simply aren’t strong enough or athletic enough to keep blockers away from the second level.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been like that for years

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score

Clay made some head scratching penalty’s but yes his tenacity is definitely missed haven’t seen that with this D, it’s just something a player his in him that isn’t coached

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers definitely need to improve at inside linebacker for next season. Unfortunately it will be close to impossible to add an impact player at the position as there aren't a lot of them available. Martinez should be let go in free agency.

Matthews was an average inside linebacker at best. It's unheard of that a player lining up at the position failed to record a single tackle in two consecutive games.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though Martinez did produce a bit more later in the year, that last game was painfully obvious why he should just be allowed to go. He had 2 or so nice plays. Completely clean. The rest? My gosh, i remember one the safety gave himself up slashing thru blockers to turn him back in, and there goes Martinez dancing with a blocker that is not even really doing anything to block him. There was zero freaking fight to even slow down the runner. I mean at least hold your ****ing ground and make him change direction. do something. Removed from the play so easily I couldn't believe it. and if there is a wash to get thru to run someone down, forget about it. Playing linebacker isn't hard when you don't have to worry about blockers and if you're that ineffective just working thru wash to go make a play, you're not very useful.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have been "searching" for an ILB with speed to cover opposition TE's. I think GB needs 2 ILB's: one 255 lb+ thumper who'll bust thru blocks and make plays at or behind the LOS AND a 240-245 lb'er with 4.5 speed to cover TE's. Guys like Urlacher & Bobby Wagner are few & far between so we need one of each, thumper & cover guy.

Maybe Burks or Summers improves significantly? I'd like Gute to make a run at Chicago's Pierre-Louis if price is right for depth.

Our 1st 3 draft picks, IMHO, need to be: ILB, WR, DT in whatever order plays out best...with OT next in line.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the end it always comes down to coaching. Wisconsin-bred sports fans are familiar with the Bo Ryan way of coaching...take anyone off the street who has work ethic & character, and if you coach them to excel at fundamentals they will have no chance to fail in their pursuit of success.

H

HardRightEdge

This loss showed what we've known all along...and that's that our run D is severely lacking an impact ILB who can make plays, paritcularly at the LOS and not just "rack up tackles" 5+ yards past the LOS.

Blake Martinez seems like a good guy and a hustle guy...but simply put, he (and players like Jake Ryan) just aren't very good.

They're solid situational players

But with a true IMPACT ILB like Luke Kuechly retiring recently...

Whom all do you propose we replace him with? Guys like Kuechly don't "grow on trees"... so do we draft an ILB at the END of the 1st round who can make an impact like him? lol

or is it a scheme thing?

Obviously Pettine had a HORRIBLE game plan, so what is it?
I don't think this is a particulary good draft for off-the-ball linebackers.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews was an average inside linebacker at best. It's unheard of that a player lining up at the position failed to record a single tackle in two consecutive games.

Our defense improved immediately after he was moved that year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how people don't realize that the best thing that happened to our D (almost ever) was Bishop taking over for Barnett. Barnett was never a middle linebacker. He was faster than Martinez but not any better.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how people don't realize that the best thing that happened to our D (almost ever) was Bishop taking over for Barnett...
How is it great that Bishop took over the position for 2 years? His hammy(s?) couldn't take the workload & ended his career (he tried playing elsewhere after GB). A 2 year upgrade helped us but his demise coincided with the Packer D decline.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is it great that Bishop took over the position for 2 years? His hammy(s?) couldn't take the workload & ended his career (he tried playing elsewhere after GB). A 2 year upgrade helped us but his demise coincided with the Packer D decline.
Yes, but imho Barnett was a big liability. Bishop did a lot to help us win the Super Bowl that year. Our season turned around that year after he took over ML. Coincidence? He even recovered the big fumble against Pittsburgh. He was much better than Barnett and it was too bad he had injury problems later. Even then, minihaha gave him a chance.

Latest posts