Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Zero2Cool said:
dhpackr said:
TT messed up plain and simple. end of story
here is the link
and it is one on one
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/07/31/training-camp-day-3-morning-session/

Care to explain how he messed up?
Do you want me to brutally hijack this thread?

Start a new one. I think its funny. I mean, he's one of my favorite players and even I can admit that its his fault that he's not a Packer. lol

Just made a quickie. Go HERE to argue about Walker's exit.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's all this idealism about "EARNING" a spot???

This is the NFL. It's professional football..the ownership are first and foremost going to make the most out of their investment and many times..that supercedes "EARNING" something.

For instance. Alex Smith went No.1 in Aaron's draft year(that's a whole story in itself.but i'll defer for now).

Smith came in and did NOT earn the no.1 spot. He didn't even distinguish himself as the #2 or 3 QB. The 9ers had Tim Rattay as starter, Cody Pickett, and Ken Dorsey. Albeit those aren't star studded names like Favre..SMITH did not make better than them.

McCarthy and Nolan started PUSHING him up the depth chart and finally PUT him in the no.1 position during the season. Did Smith earn it?
Not a chance.

Did he deserve it? In the fans eyes? Probably not. But to the 49ers brass? The HAD to push him out there..because he was their no.1 pick 60 million dollar investment. They need him to produce and NOW.

JaMarcus Russell is NOT beating out any of the QB's in oakland either. But he will be HANDED the job soon enough. Same for Brady Quinn. Derek Anderson and Charlie Frye are NOT MUCh better than Ingle and Paul Thompson. Trust me. Those guys suck.

In a similar fashion. Aaron costs the packers a no.1 pick. He's still a first round pick whether it be 24 or 1. He was an investment and I don't have any problem w/TT and McCarthy PUSHING him up the dept chart to see how their 3 year investment pans out. And..I see Rogers working his *** off and is not just sitting there waiting for it to be handed to him.

Aaron's high draft status "earned" him the right to have the best chance at the starting job. Same as Quinn, Russell, and Smith. There's nothing wrong w/that. It is what it is.

It's all about perspective guys.

EARNING is such a loose grey term in professional sports. Even in corporate america. Everyone doesn't always get an equal shot at a promotion. Sometimes..some people have an inside track. Nobody said it was fair.

p.s. If Favre stays 2 more years..he will have cost Aaron almost 15 million dollars in incentives. Aaron makes 1.7 mil..as a backup and you guys tease him on that..yet if he was a starter..his contract bumps up to 5..
Everytime Favre "comes back"..Aarons waves 3.2 mil..goodbye forever...

Now THAT takes maturity and character to still be able to handle that.

p.s.s. I knew a Cal walk-on tennis player who beat the crap out of all the scholarship players on the team and EARNED the right to be in the starting 5.

He did NOT get in the top 5..because the scholarship players were more of an investment. If the school didn't push the scholarship players out there..they would lose that scholarship the next year. Again.."earning" is relative and grey..even in college sports.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smith didn't come in replacing a freaking legend ... cmon thats a ****** example

Not right away but it's safe to say that 49er fans expect him to be the next Steve Young or Joe Montana. I agree that Rodgers has it much tougher than Smith but Smith doesn't have it easy either especially in San Francisco.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smith didn't come in replacing a freaking legend ... cmon thats a ****** example

My pont wasn't about Favre. It's about certain players getting spots
that people think they didn't earn.

In that respect..Smith is a good example.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's how you rebuild a franchise though, and it's working for San Francisco.

That's why I'm wondering why the hell McCarthy doesn't throw Rodgers out there with 2:00 left down by 21.

Then again, he got hurt at NE... so I can see why.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True the QB is typically the leader and face of the team, however he is another player waiting for his chance to start. Most players have to earn their chance to start and prove they belong. Rodgers hasn't done that yet, period.

Now true, it would take alot to unseat Brett from the starters chair, and to be honest probably no one could. However, he hasn't been dominate in past TC and in his opportunities to play. And in reality, we have no idea if he can take the reigns.

So why coddle the lad, instead make him earn the right to lead the Packers. The Packers are doing a fine job of that themselves by not bringing in any veterans to compete with him. Now the media is going to make it out to sound like "poor" Aaron has to wait.

To his credit, he sound to be handling it properly and has a good prespective on it. Why can't the media have the same. His chance will come.

Of course Rodgers should have to earn the right to start. But the best he can do right now is earn the #2 spot, and he's done that. He's working very hard, improving his strength and conditioning, and performing well in practice.

I don't see how you think he's being coddled. Do you really think management should spend the money to bring in a quality veteran QB to compete for the #2 quarterback spot? Would any decent veteran have even the slightest interest in doing that anyway?

When and if Favre retires, it might be wise to bring in a veteran to compete with Rodgers, although as Cal2GreenBay has said, it is only natural for the team to want to see what they have with the player they've invested so much in already. If he was playing badly or he was loafing, I would think differently, but he seems to be holding up his end of the bargain. So I would say that yes, he is earning the right to be next in line when Favre leaves, just as he earned the right to be drafted in the first round. It goes without saying that he will have to continue earning that right. I don't think anyone will argue with you on that point.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's how you rebuild a franchise though, and it's working for San Francisco.

That's why I'm wondering why the hell McCarthy doesn't throw Rodgers out there with 2:00 left down by 21.

Then again, he got hurt at NE... so I can see why.

"That's how you build a franchise though, and it's working for San Francisco"

Clever.

FYI..Alex Smith also lost 10 games his first year and stank up the place. And he did that w/out a broken foot.

He lost those games all by himself. Not because of a dominating NE defense and a GB offense that sputtered even w/Favre in there.

AND..Alex Smith hooted and hollered and jeered his offensive line too all year.

AND he did it w/out a broken foot.

But Aaron can't play cuz of NE. Makes sense. "I can see why"

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
True the QB is typically the leader and face of the team, however he is another player waiting for his chance to start. Most players have to earn their chance to start and prove they belong. Rodgers hasn't done that yet, period.

Now true, it would take alot to unseat Brett from the starters chair, and to be honest probably no one could. However, he hasn't been dominate in past TC and in his opportunities to play. And in reality, we have no idea if he can take the reigns.

So why coddle the lad, instead make him earn the right to lead the Packers. The Packers are doing a fine job of that themselves by not bringing in any veterans to compete with him. Now the media is going to make it out to sound like "poor" Aaron has to wait.

To his credit, he sound to be handling it properly and has a good prespective on it. Why can't the media have the same. His chance will come.

Of course Rodgers should have to earn the right to start. But the best he can do right now is earn the #2 spot, and he's done that. He's working very hard, improving his strength and conditioning, and performing well in practice.

I don't see how you think he's being coddled. Do you really think management should spend the money to bring in a quality veteran QB to compete for the #2 quarterback spot? Would any decent veteran have even the slightest interest in doing that anyway?

When and if Favre retires, it might be wise to bring in a veteran to compete with Rodgers, although as Cal2GreenBay has said, it is only natural for the team to want to see what they have with the player they've invested so much in already. If he was playing badly or he was loafing, I would think differently, but he seems to be holding up his end of the bargain. So I would say that yes, he is earning the right to be next in line when Favre leaves, just as he earned the right to be drafted in the first round. It goes without saying that he will have to continue earning that right. I don't think anyone will argue with you on that point.

Well said Greg.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Not right away but it's safe to say that 49er fans expect him to be the next Steve Young or Joe Montana. I agree that Rodgers has it much tougher than Smith but Smith doesn't have it easy either especially in San Francisco.

You think so huh? When was Youngs last year?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:

1999 I think.

It doesn't matter how long ago they played. Packer fans will always want their next QB to be Brett Favre or Bart Starr. If Rodgers fails in Green Bay the next guy will also be trying to replace Favre or Starr.

Just like in San Francisco. Smith is trying to replace Young and Montana who are the only two Quarterbacks to win a Super Bowl for the 49ers. Favre and Starr are the only two to do it in Green Bay. (Only counting Super Bowls of course)

Denver has Cutler trying to replace John Elway. Miami is still looking for someone to replace Dan Marino.

Once you get a Quarterback that is so great his shadow will always be cast among the team. Forever he is basically cemented in with the team. Fans in San Francisco and Denver are expecting the same things out of their guys as we will out of Rodgers. Replacing a Legend.

I agree that Rodger has it much tougher than Smith in that he has to come in right after Favre retired but overall Smith and Rodgers are both going to be expected by fans to replaced their legendary quarterbacks. The only way to do that is really to win a Super Bowl or to dominate the league. Just my two cents but both are in somewhat of a similar situation. Same with Jay Cutler in Denver. Though I think the best comparison for Rodgers is Steve Young trying to replace Joe Montana.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not even concerned w/the comparison to Brett and following a HOF QB.
That's been discussed over and over and it's a forgone conclusion.

What seems idealistic is thinking or knocking a pro athlete for
"EARNING" a spot or not.

Many of the league's QB's didn't "EARN" a spot like we would like to think..and they did have a fasttrack to get the starting position.

There is NOTHING wrong w/that...especially if the team invested a lot of money and a high draft choice at that position.

Sometimes the most qualified doesn't always get the promotion. I amd other happen to think Aaron has justified his qualification along w/his fasttrack status.

Just like I mentioned of a friend who beat all the varsity tennis players in college but they wouldn't let him start ahead of a scholarship kid....

It's all about BUSINESS...and all is fair in business...

It may not be earnest..but it is fair...

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of things. Brett isn't going to be replaced by Aaron Rogers. Aaron Rogers will one day be the starting quarterback. Ted Thompson didn't do much to help Brett in his last year. That's kind of sad because I think there were some windows of opportunity for him to improve the team. I do think the cupboard was left awfully bare from the Mike Sherman days and because of that Thompson has had a huge job of trying to get some talent here. School is still out on how good of a job he's doing. He didn't do much however to add some fill ins to make this a quality team with a chance to go all the way this year.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of things. Brett isn't going to be replaced by Aaron Rogers. Aaron Rogers will one day be the starting quarterback. Ted Thompson didn't do much to help Brett in his last year. That's kind of sad because I think there were some windows of opportunity for him to improve the team. I do think the cupboard was left awfully bare from the Mike Sherman days and because of that Thompson has had a huge job of trying to get some talent here. School is still out on how good of a job he's doing. He didn't do much however to add some fill ins to make this a quality team with a chance to go all the way this year.

Man, it's so wierd, I keep getting this odd feeling that I've had this argument before...... :wall:

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of things. Brett isn't going to be replaced by Aaron Rogers. Aaron Rogers will one day be the starting quarterback.

Wow..touchy touchy. That's like saying..."that guy is NOT my dad...I just happen to be his child".

If Aaron comes after Brett..then he is REPLACING him.
Sorry if that's painful to actualize but it doesn't change it from being true...
just because you seek correction over mere semantics.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:

1999 I think.

Point proven.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing if Rodgers is the next quarterback after Favre, I like Rodgers and would love to see him exceed and become this next great quarterback for Green Bay. However I dont really see that happening my thoughts now are A-Rod is going to come in after Favre and do "above average" for a year or so. I think theres a future for Aaron, but as much as I'd like it, I dont think its with Green Bay.