Willie Wood died.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Age 83. Hall of Famer. Per a news blurb from WBAY TV Green Bay.
I just saw that, read a short story. Played at a time when he was not a qb and DB. Lombardi apparently did sign him as a 3rd string QB after he was not drafted and then changed his mind and put at safety. Wish I was around to see him play.

Sounds like he battled with dementia and even 4 years ago he didn’t have recollection of playing in a Super Bowl.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I just saw that, read a short story. Played at a time when he was not a qb and DB. Lombardi apparently did sign him as a 3rd string QB after he was not drafted and then changed his mind and put at safety. Wish I was around to see him play.

Sounds like he battled with dementia and even 4 years ago he didn’t have recollection of playing in a Super Bowl.

I got to see him play but only really remember him from like 1970 on. I remember an All-pro returning punts and stuff.

I remember Ken Ellis saying he took 48 as a number because it was a double of 24... the strange things you remember...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How sad. I didn't realize he was having dementia issues. RIP and sympathies to his family. :(

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Shame, but it comes to all of us in the end. R.I.P. Willie

Sky King

Reaction score
I got to see him play but only really remember him from like 1970 on. I remember an All-pro returning punts and stuff.

I remember Ken Ellis saying he took 48 as a number because it was a double of 24... the strange things you remember...
I was privileged to see him play. Of all players from the Lombardi era until now, he was one of the very best.

Sky King

Reaction score
The pose and expression in pic in gbgary's post :D
Back in the day, the poses they used for the football cards could be hilarious. I remember one GB player's card, Bill Forrester I believe, where he was no more than 6" off the ground as though diving forward, helmetless, face to the camera, arms extended with fists clenched, and a mean scowl on his face. Those were the days.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Became a Packer fan toward the end of his career. I still remember Willie making a key int in the 1st Super Bowl. Not many of Lombardi’s guys still around. RIP

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in the day, the poses they used for the football cards could be hilarious. I remember one GB player's card, Bill Forrester I believe, where he was no more than 6" off the ground as though diving forward, helmetless, face to the camera, arms extended with fists clenched, and a mean scowl on his face. Those were the days.
i remember seeing that card. now i'm going to have to go find it. damn you! lol

Members online

Latest posts