Why wasn't Hundley more prepared?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, whenever he came in at the last few ticks of the fourth, I don't think McMoron ever had him throw even once.
And then he pretty much did the same thing against the Vikes.
Hand off.
Hand off.
Throw incomplete.
Punt.
Repeat.

With how crummy the team is or lacking in certain areas, maybe Aaron could have still pulled off a win against the Purple.
With all his preparation that would have given us a good chance.
So why isn't as much attention and reps given to Hundley for these situations?
No one is expecting to see A-Rod be gone like this. And yet they should be better prepared for the worst case scenario.
Why weren't they?
If they had been then maybe Hundley could have found a way to win or given us a better chance.
Everything revolves around Aaron. And then when he goes, that just threw a monkey wrench into everything and the coaches and players just couldn't adjust.
Seems to me they could be better prepared for if this ever happens again.
Thoughts? Discuss?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when you say McMoron, are you referring to yourself? are you that big of a child you can't show at least a modicum of respect to a coach that has quite possibly achieved more in a loss than you have in a lifetime? Hundley threw 3 picks and got sacked 3 times and hit another 16 times in almost 40 drop backs and you think Coach McCarthy didn't let him pass enough? grow up or go home. I don't care if I get banned here, sick of the children that must be in study hall polluting the bandwidth. Zero understanding of the situation Hundley was put in, and it sh0ws in every childish post you make.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when you say McMoron, are you referring to yourself? are you that big of a child you can't show at least a modicum of respect to a coach that has quite possibly achieved more in a loss than you have in a lifetime? Hundley threw 3 picks and got sacked 3 times and hit another 16 times in almost 40 drop backs and you think Coach McCarthy didn't let him pass enough? grow up or go home. I don't care if I get banned here, sick of the children that must be in study hall polluting the bandwidth. Zero understanding of the situation Hundley was put in, and it sh0ws in every childish post you make.
That's the pot calling the kettle black.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the pot calling the kettle black.

You literally less than an hour ago called another Packer fan out for not showing Rodgers more respect because that poster insinuated that Rodgers really doesn't have it so bad compared to others.

Then you called our head coach "McMoron."

Can't really reconcile those two actions...

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hundley should have played much better. A lot of those hits and at least one if not 2 of those sacks were his fault for holding the ball too long. Granted half of Rodgers sacks are cuz he's holding the ball too long. Rodgers can do that cuz he's proven that big plays happen on a decent percentage of the plays he holds the ball to long. Hundley on the other hand made one nice play on the touchdown to Adams. Other than that he played scared and that's not something you can do and be successful in the NFL. Now I do think the play calling wasn't doing him any favors. It was very predictable, I could be wrong but don't think he ever took a shot deep on say first down. Towards the end it seemed like we were calling play action on every pass and all it was doing was wasting time and magnifying the fact that Hundley wasn't getting rid of the ball fast enough. We should have been running lots of slants and quick throws. Maybe we didn't cuz McCarthy wasn't confident in the timing between Hundley and the receivers idk I guess we'll see next week. Still wish we had kept hill though he's a much better fall back option should Hundley prove he can't do it

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never known of any backup QB coming in in relief as being prepared. And why would they be? The starter gets all the 1st team reps.

jimwest2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think that we should give him the time of 14 days because now the practice will be different for him and the complete offense will be change there skills for hundley. up next we will vs the saints and then we got the bye week to do good on practice for him

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would a team ever waste any significant amount of practice time on a backup quarterback? You would rather they reduce their preparation for every single game in order to keep their backup prepared in case something happens? And they should develop two entirely different gameplans and have the entire team focus on both gameplans in case something happens? I’ll take solid preparation and a single gameplan during the 130ish out of 140ish games that Rodgers has started and finished. *He has missed 9 total games since becoming the starting quarterback.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, whenever he came in at the last few ticks of the fourth, I don't think McMoron ever had him throw even once.
And then he pretty much did the same thing against the Vikes.
Hand off.
Hand off.
Throw incomplete.
Punt.
Repeat.

With how crummy the team is or lacking in certain areas, maybe Aaron could have still pulled off a win against the Purple.
With all his preparation that would have given us a good chance.
So why isn't as much attention and reps given to Hundley for these situations?
No one is expecting to see A-Rod be gone like this. And yet they should be better prepared for the worst case scenario.
Why weren't they?
If they had been then maybe Hundley could have found a way to win or given us a better chance.
Everything revolves around Aaron. And then when he goes, that just threw a monkey wrench into everything and the coaches and players just couldn't adjust.
Seems to me they could be better prepared for if this ever happens again.
Thoughts? Discuss?
I Recall now... You left for a while? B4, you did all the silly name calling.. Cheatorits? For Patriots and etc..

We had the talk then about that, and then you left? People are already calling you out.. Maybe just try to stop the name calling

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Recall now... You left for a while? B4, you did all the silly name calling.. Cheatorits? For Patriots and etc..

We had the talk then about that, and then you left? People are already calling you out.. Maybe just try to stop the name calling

I do think "Cheatriots" is fair game. Same for "Viqueens", "Bores", "Whiners" and "Cowpies.":p

D

Deleted member 6794

Hundley actually had 11 career passing attempts before entering the game vs. the Vikings on Sunday.

Hundley should have played much better. A lot of those hits and at least one if not 2 of those sacks were his fault for holding the ball too long. Granted half of Rodgers sacks are cuz he's holding the ball too long. Rodgers can do that cuz he's proven that big plays happen on a decent percentage of the plays he holds the ball to long. Hundley on the other hand made one nice play on the touchdown to Adams. Other than that he played scared and that's not something you can do and be successful in the NFL.

While Hundley definitely didn't perform at a high level it didn't seem to me he played scared by any means. I expect him to improve with getting first team reps in practice all week and the coaching staff game planning taking advantage of his strengths.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To say this team is going nowhere without Aaron is ridiculous. Do we consider this team better then the team the last time Aaron was injured? We didn't have Devante Adams or Geronimo Allison to go along with nelson and Cobb then or the TE's we have in our offense, nor did we have as much depth defensively (no major injuries). If we could win with Matt Flynn at QB then we definitely should be able to win with Hundley who has more Arm talent, more speed, and more upside then Flynn could have ever had. Do you remember when Rodgers was out with a concussion and Flynn went into New England and it took a last second Int to preserve the win for NE? I have all of the confidence in McCarthy his system, play calling and team execution. We'll be fine and at the same time showcasing Hundley for a top draft choice if he plays as well as he should be able to.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone else made the point about giving your backup QB reps during practice so I'll leave that and address the other part of the OPs complaint. When the only time Aaron Rodgers generally comes out of a game is when we are way ahead its also foolish to think a coach is going to let the backup go wild. If the backup comes in in a blowout lead its usually to milk the clock which usually means run run run punt with maybe a pass or two thrown in. Apparently the OP is advocating bringing in the backup with a 21 point lead and 4 minutes left and letting him run the 2 minute offense to give him practice. While this may seem to make sense it will never happen.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To say this team is going nowhere without Aaron is ridiculous. Do we consider this team better then the team the last time Aaron was injured? We didn't have Devante Adams or Geronimo Allison to go along with nelson and Cobb then or the TE's we have in our offense, nor did we have as much depth defensively (no major injuries). If we could win with Matt Flynn at QB then we definitely should be able to win with Hundley who has more Arm talent, more speed, and more upside then Flynn could have ever had. Do you remember when Rodgers was out with a concussion and Flynn went into New England and it took a last second Int to preserve the win for NE? I have all of the confidence in McCarthy his system, play calling and team execution. We'll be fine and at the same time showcasing Hundley for a top draft choice if he plays as well as he should be able to.

This is not coming in and playing 1 game while AR gets over a concussion. The last time AR missed any significant time we barely hung on and it took him coming back to save our season. If he can't come back it is not unreasonable to think BH will not be able to lead us to the playoffs. We we go 4-12 with BH at the helm? I highly doubt it but i also highly doubt we go 12-4. my guess is somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7 with 1 game either side of that as a possibility.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reason 1.) Each play gets 5 reps...Aaron gets 3, Brett gets two.

Reason 2.) When Hundley has gotten into games it was with a 3 or more TD lead and McCarthy was trying to NOT run up the score, so you hand the ball off

Reason 3.) You can take all the reps you want in pre-season or practice, but when the sh*t hits the fan in game situations, it hits 10 times as fast as you expect.

Reason 4.) By the time he got into the game we were playing with 1 Center, 1 starting guard in position, 1 starting guard out of position and our 4th and 5th guards on the depth chart who were getting run over.

What I really can't find any excuse for is why he was sacked so often, an incomplete pass hurts HIM and the team less than a sack.

D

Deleted member 6794

While we have to wait and see if Hundley ends up being a better quarterback than Flynn you have to realize the Packers had an elite running back in Lacy four years ago while the defense doesn't seem to be any better than in 2013.

Reason 1.) Each play gets 5 reps...Aaron gets 3, Brett gets two.

Reason 4.) By the time he got into the game we were playing with 1 Center, 1 starting guard in position, 1 starting guard out of position and our 4th and 5th guards on the depth chart who were getting run over.

Hundley didn't get any snaps with the first team offense in practice during the regular season but ran the scout team all week. He entered the game on Sunday with the offensive line still featuring all starters.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care if Hundley looks unprepared going in for a gameplan that was prepared for Aaron Rodgers.

This week is a different story.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also just for the record ...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20101...gameinfo|contentId:09000d5d81cd7b7d&tab=recap

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20171...gameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000862467&tab=recap

Numbers between Hundley and Flynn are pretty similar, just a slightly higher completion percentage, yardage and only 1 pick by Flynn compared to 3 by Hundley, but Hundley also threw a TD pass and Flynn did not in his first start, so they both had similar outings.

I'm eagerly anticipating a little more polished Finley in this one.

My hope: Well we know what the Saints O is capable of, but hopefully this Sunday their bad defense that we all know shows up and not the good one that caused trouble for Miami, and for 3 quarters against Detroit. Hopefully that 28-point meltdown last week brings bad momentum for them into Lambeau.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So I realize that the Packers are way worse off without Rodgers, but just as a fan of watching football I am legitimately excited to see what Hundley does as a starter and with the starters. He'll be playing with far better players than we've seen him with for the most part in preseason (allowing that the OL is healthy-ish), he'll be in a regular season gameplan designed for him for the first time, and he'll get far and away his most extended regular season action.

People might be sleeping on just how special of an athlete he is for the position. He has the ability to leave the pocket and then house it with his legs. His sparq score is in the 95th% for QB's. If he threatens as a runner, I think it could open things up for the running game in general.

None of this is to say that all is well or that the Packers are going to march to the playoffs. But it will be interesting.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, we need to save the name calling for Ted Thompson if things go really bad in the next couple of months. :cool:

Well, we'll find out about the overall talent level of the roster Thompson has put together over the next few weeks as there's no Aaron Rodgers to cover up for the weaknesses on it for at least eight weeks.

Members online

Latest posts