Who Will Start?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just the starting 22. First plays of the game. Off and Def. No special teams. No reasons why. Just who will start. You don't even have to say where. I'll start.
All 4 O linemen from last year and Jordan Morgan. Luke Musgrave. Jordan Love. Christian Watson. Romeo Doubs. Dontavion Wicks and Josh Jacobs.
Q. Edgerrin Cooper. Rahan Gary. Preston Smith. Kenny Clark. Devonte Wyatt. Javon Bullard. Jaire Alexander. Carrington Valentine. Xavier McKinney. Keisean Nixon.
Well those are my 22 right now. I think if you pick the name right; we pretty much know where they will play.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with Bullard starting because at the moment it looks like he has a clear path. I don't see Morgan starting ahead of Walker early in the season.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with Bullard starting because at the moment it looks like he has a clear path. I don't see Morgan starting ahead of Walker early in the season.
Neither do I. I see Morgan starting at R guard.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Oline: LT Morgan, LG Jenkins, C Myers, RG Tom, RT Walker
QB: Love
RB: Jacobs
WR: Watson, Doubs, Reed
TE Musgrave
DT: Clark, Slayton
DE: Wyatt, Van Ness
OLB: Smith, Gary
ILB: Walker, Cooper
CB: Alexander, Stokes, (Slot Bullard)
Safety: McKinney, Williams

I know this is more than 22, but there are different packages that will be ran. Depending on that will depend on who's on the field, especially on defense.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be very surprised if Slayton is a starter in any of our packages.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither do I. I see Morgan starting at R guard.

I honestly don't see that.

Yes, RG is the obvious hole with last year's starter departing. Yes, Morgan is the 1st round pick, so you want to get him on the field asap.

Morgan's weakness is functional strength at the point of attack and his strength is his athletic ability--good feet (though not yet great footwork.). IMHO, functional strength at the point of attack is probably the number 1 requirement for RG and it's the position you can hide a sub-standard athlete OR where a pure road grader run blocker can survive in the modern NFL.

In other words, what he's good at and not good at are the opposite of what you look for in RG.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I only said who would start in the first play from scrimmage. We'll see but I'm thinking he'd be better there than Walker. I don't want to move Tom and don't know if Walker can play RT. And don't want to sit Walker who I think showed a lot of promise. Every time I have read about Morgan they said he could move inside.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Just the starting 22. First plays of the game. Off and Def. No special teams. No reasons why. Just who will start. You don't even have to say where. I'll start.
All 4 O linemen from last year and Jordan Morgan. Luke Musgrave. Jordan Love. Christian Watson. Romeo Doubs. Dontavion Wicks and Josh Jacobs.
Q. Edgerrin Cooper. Rahan Gary. Preston Smith. Kenny Clark. Devonte Wyatt. Javon Bullard. Jaire Alexander. Carrington Valentine. Xavier McKinney. Keisean Nixon.
Well those are my 22 right now. I think if you pick the name right; we pretty much know where they will play.
At season's first snap I see base 4-3 defense in Sao Paolo unless Iggles come out to throw. Using your alignment my changes are: Johnson Jr at safety instead of Bullard. Brooks instead of Nixon. Stokes is healthy enough to bench Valentine. Reed in a 3 wide set instead of Wicks. If not Dillon in as H-B. Tenuta pushes Tom to RG.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At season's first snap I see base 4-3 defense in Sao Paolo unless Iggles come out to throw. Using your alignment my changes are: Johnson Jr at safety instead of Bullard. Brooks instead of Nixon. Stokes is healthy enough to bench Valentine. Reed in a 3 wide set instead of Wicks. If not Dillon in as H-B. Tenuta pushes Tom to RG.
My alignment? Yes, you have good reasons for all of it. Except Tom. That's kind of out from left field. Would be good if he is good. I don't know anything about him.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I only said who would start in the first play from scrimmage. We'll see but I'm thinking he'd be better there than Walker. I don't want to move Tom and don't know if Walker can play RT. And don't want to sit Walker who I think showed a lot of promise. Every time I have read about Morgan they said he could move inside.
can Morgan play inside? Possibly, that doesn’t mean that’s likely. Most of the chatter focuses on his arms being “short” at “only” 34” or whatever. He’ll be fine.

My other worry, besides my previous, is playing on the right side if you think he’s a future left tackle. More than one former lineman has mentioned how difficult it is to flip sides due to everything being mirrored and having to fight muscle memory.

So a rookie that lacks ideal strength and doesn’t have great technique. Sounds like a recipe to stunt his long term growth.

Krabs

Reaction score
What I read was that MLF plans to at least look at playing Morgan there first. "That's naturally where you'd look. That's where he's played his whole career," MLF. That would mean Walker either slides to RT or to the bench. That is why I listed Walker at RT. Now, I don't think he as played there before, so it very well could be the bench. Tom is versatile enough to move to G or C. I think it will be guard. Tom and Jenkins could play either spots. We shall see how it all shakes out.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My alignment? Yes, you have good reasons for all of it. Except Tom. That's kind of out from left field. Would be good if he is good. I don't know anything about him.
They liked Tenuta two seasons ago and he was out last year with injury IIRC. He's as valid at this point as any one else with OT experience.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a VERY strong possibility GB runs the line in TC to see what it looks like of Morgan / Jenkins / Tom / Rhyan or Monk / Walker If Walker can switch up sides this could very well be our BEST OL

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think there is a VERY strong possibility GB runs the line in TC to see what it looks like of Morgan / Jenkins / Tom / Rhyan or Monk / Walker If Walker can switch up sides this could very well be our BEST OL
Good thing we got a different S&C team in house or half those names would spend a good chunk of camp in the therapy pool.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once my guys get our roster finalized I’ll post it up in here so y’all can see what the future champs of Da North looks like.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense:
Morgan, Jenkins, Tom, Myers, Walker
Love, Jacobs
Watson, Doubs, Reed, Musgrave

Defense:
Smith, Clark, Slayton, Gary
Quay, Cooper
Alexander, Stokes, McKinney, Bullard, Valentine

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tom should 100% be the starter at center. Not becas Myers isnt very good but becas the Packers staff believes he could be a hall of fame player at center

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom should 100% be the starter at center. Not becas Myers isnt very good but becas the Packers staff believes he could be a hall of fame player at center
There is also something to be said about not giving up sacks at R tackle. If we can do that; giving center a try is reasonable and Tom can move back to tackle if needed. Because no matter how good he is at center; it's more important to give Love time from rushers on the outside.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
If Walker beats out Morgan I would prefer to try Morgan at LG vs RG, and slide Jenkins to C. Tom was fantastic last year at RT, and would love to keep him there. RG could be a battle between Monk and Rhyan.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oline: LT Morgan, LG Jenkins, C Myers, RG Tom, RT Walker
QB: Love
RB: Jacobs
WR: Watson, Doubs, Reed
TE Musgrave
DT: Clark, Slayton
DE: Wyatt, Van Ness
OLB: Smith, Gary
ILB: Walker, Cooper
CB: Alexander, Stokes, (Slot Bullard)
Safety: McKinney, Williams

I know this is more than 22, but there are different packages that will be ran. Depending on that will depend on who's on the field, especially on defense.
I have my doubts that they will start 12 on defense but I could be wrong.

Krabs

Reaction score
I have my doubts that they will start 12 on defense but I could be wrong.
If you read at the end I stated that it depends on the different packages they run and especially on defense. If they're in nickel they will have different personnel than dime or their standard 4-3 defense. That's also why I put Bullard in parenthesis. It all depends on what package their in to start the game. All the guys I listed will get plenty of time on the field.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read at the end I stated that it depends on the different packages they run and especially on defense. If they're in nickel they will have different personnel than dime or their standard 4-3 defense. That's also why I put Bullard in parenthesis. It all depends on what package their in to start the game. All the guys I listed will get plenty of time on the field.
Anyway, the question was who will start the first series. My assumption is they will put in their base defense for that play. If you want to say they put in a nickel...that is your choice.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, the question was who will start the first series. My assumption is they will put in their base defense for that play

It always depends, but I'd say that is a poor bet. 11 personnel (3WR, 1RB, 1TE) is the most common offensive grouping at 61% in 2023 (note this doc only cover only the 1st half of 2023, I haven't found a more up to date one https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.c...ext=League-wide so far this,% (22% last year) ), which all but demands nickel.

The second most common is 12 personnel, at 27%.

In other words, an 88% chance that you'll be facing a single back offense. Why would you presume base?

Members online

Latest posts