Who are your 2 defensive tackles?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the season started next week, and we had KGB and Kampman at defensive ends, AND Cledius Hunt and Grady Jackson are UNAVAILABLE,who would YOU pick to be the 2 starting defensive tackles? (I did not do a poll on this because GB has far too many DTs for the poll to handle)

Mine personally would be Cullen Jenkins and Corey Williams.

Cullen Jenkins MORE than proved himself last year, when he was more effective than Hunt, in less time than Hunt. I bet Bates loves him.

Corey Williams is a solid kid. He seems better than Donnell Washington, who is spotty, and Montgomery who has a lot of rough edges.

What about you?

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins has been moved to end and might play tackle in the dime package.

Williams would be my first choice but he just had a rib injury followed up by a back injury. Hopefully, he's just a little tired and these injuries don't carry into the season.

After Williams it seems like just a grab bag of underachievers and 3rd teamers... Cole, Lee, Washington and Peterson. If I get to pick one of them on their best day it would probably be Washington (6'6" 328).

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wait. Jenkins is at END? I am at jsonline and packersnews.com every day, i havent heard this. What about Kampman? Wha!

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
wait. Jenkins is at END? I am at jsonline and packersnews.com every day, i havent heard this. What about Kampman? Wha!

I guess he's sort of a tweener because the can move him inside on passing downs and the same goes for Peterson.

Check the official depth chart

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
an official depth chart on august 17th of training camp means little to me, although I see it. But how could they put him at end when he played so well at DT?! it is mind boggling. However...I do understand if we have a JacksonHunt DT duo, I wouldn't mind Jenkins at the end position if he's good at it. The kid has talent. I am a Cullen Jenkins supporter through and through.

CollinsJenkins in 2008!

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
an official depth chart on august 17th of training camp means little to me, although I see it. But how could they put him at end when he played so well at DT?! it is mind boggling. However...I do understand if we have a JacksonHunt DT duo, I wouldn't mind Jenkins at the end position if he's good at it. The kid has talent. I am a Cullen Jenkins supporter through and through.

CollinsJenkins in 2008!

If it helps tromadz, he's a tweener on the roster.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams is hurt, but he would be one of them. Jenkins is a bit small for the DT under the Bates..."find me a hippo there" defensive line approach.

Grady Jackson and Sam Adams are about the right size.

Apparently Colin Cole was blown off the ball by San Diego's undersized line last week. Not a good sign.(So was Williams for that matter).

When Hunt and Grady are back they start. The choice is really who is the backup for each?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Williams is hurt, but he would be one of them. Jenkins is a bit small for the DT under the Bates..."find me a hippo there" defensive line approach.

Grady Jackson and Sam Adams are about the right size.

Apparently Colin Cole was blown off the ball by San Diego's undersized line last week. Not a good sign.(So was Williams for that matter).

When Hunt and Grady are back they start. The choice is really who is the backup for each?

Williams is a lock,

Jenkins will swing between both positions (DE early downs, DT on passing downs),

Cole was not good vs SD but that was his only poor performance so far, Lee hustles and is a big body and Washington has the most upside potential.

I see Cole, Lee and Washington fighting for probably 1, maybe two 2 spots.

The downside of each of the three above is:

-- Cole limited upside
-- Lee lacks experience and instinctiveness
-- Washington plays too high and wears down

Degree of injuries to Jackson and Hunt will probably have as much to do with determining the outcome of their battle as anything at this point, as:

-- Washington has the most upside and can learn
-- Lee can gain experience, but instinct is uncertain
-- Cole, what you see is what you get.
--

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it Grady and Hunt are our starters until we can upgrade. Wish we could find a hippo like the Chargers had, 367# with some talent, wow that plugs up the middle.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams for sure, alongside James Lee.

Willams has the potential (already tapped, I might add) to be a well above-average player for us.

Lee, while unspectacular, holds the point of attack pretty well, has proven toughness in playing through his knee injury last year, and displayed flashes of being a disruptive presence in opponent's backfields.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and let's face it. With Bates scheme we need some solid large DT's to keep the LB's freed up. If the DT's can't penetrate or at least hold the line, the LB's get pancaked and D comes to a halt.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said when they drafted him that he would be the best of him Lee and Peterson. If he can stay healthy he will be there. I like Montgomery but think we will start either lee or Peterson ahead of him. By end of season I think Hunt will be on bench and gone after this year.

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lee also needs to prove he can make it through an entire NFL season. His durability is a question.

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins got moved to end about 1 day after Bates signed on. It's no accident that Washington is getting force feed this week, they have to decide where on the developmental curve he really is. I think they know where Lee and Coles are. Coles had a bad game against SD, another one like that and he's out IMHO. I think the coaches want to start Grady & Washington but a healthy Hunt is still better then what Washington has shown sofar. He has 3 weeks to win the starting spot from Hunt. If Washington can win the job, I look for them to sign a vetern as a backup (or keep Coles assuming no more poor games) and cut Hunt. If not, I see Hunt and Grady starting again. Washington, Lee & Williams as the rotation. Anyone follow all that?

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd want Gilbert Brown and Santana Dotson.

Like that would ever happen again. But seriously i'd go with Williams and Cole. Why? Because from what ive heard at camp it seems as if Washington isn't doing to good up to this point. Jenkins is a tweener at DT. Thats why Bates is trying him out at end because he's pretty fast for a DT. Anybody know how A.J Lindsay is doing? Or that new guy we brought in Quintene Newhouse?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I originally thought that Montgomery would make the team. Now I'm sure he is in the mix as back up. I think a rookie will start next year at one of the DT's next year.

Lack of DT's really exposes Barnett.

We know where we will be drafting next year: DT, DT, DT, TE, G, S(back up).

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
I originally thought that Montgomery would make the team. Now I'm sure he is in the mix as back up. I think a rookie will start next year at one of the DT's next year.

Lack of DT's really exposes Barnett.

We know where we will be drafting next year: DT, DT, DT, TE, G, S(back up).

Training camp has not even broken yet, and this is a defense that is learning a new scheme. Slow down and take some deep breaths, things take time to develop -- that is what training camp is for.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm kind of concerned about our D-line. Our secondary has youth and inexperience too, but it seems like they have more ability and the potential to become pretty good in time with more experience. It seems like a lot of our D-linemen are lacking in one area or another. Hopefully they make some more strides in the coming weeks, but so far they haven't developed as much as I hoped. Below were some comments made by Cliff Christl yesterday. Hopefully they aren't as bad as Cliff makes them sound:

"James Lee, Kenny Peterson and Donnell Washington, three defensive linemen who collectively represent a huge investment, are all in danger of being waived over the next few weeks as the Green Bay Packers trim their roster to the league limit of 53.

Lee, a fifth-round draft pick in 2003, hustles more than most oversized defensive linemen, but never seems to get to the ball. Peterson, a third-round pick in ’03, looks good in drills, but never seems to get much done on the field. Washington, a third-round choice in 2004, is strong and meets all the measurable requirements, but plays high and doesn’t get off blocks.

Not only haven’t they played to their draft level, they haven’t played up to the off-season expectations of new defensive coordinator Jim Bates. In truth, they probably have been the most disappointing group in training camp. So much so, they make overweight Grady Jackson and underachieving Cletidus Hunt appear to be indispensable."

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Cheezy. I would take Corey Williams and Colin Cole. You need at least one big body, so if it's not Grady it has to be either Lee or Cole. Lee never seems to do anything, and he's been around for awhile. Cole had a great scrimmage against the Bills, but disappeared against San Diego. I'm not sure if he played badly, though. It seems to me that the Chargers' best runs were around the ends rather than up the middle.

Bruce, if you're still there, why do you say Cole has limited upside? He's young, so why can't he improve? I don't know anything about the guy except what I've seen on the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts