Where is DuJuan?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know DuJuan has seen some trash time action, but I'm disappointed that he hasn't been used much when it matters. I was really hoping to see some great change-of-pace stuff from him this year. He clearly has all of his speed and agility back since his injury and damn it, the guy's just fun to watch. Am I missing something? Is there a reason he isn't being used? I think it would be ideal to use a rotation of Lacy-Starks-Lacy-Harris-Lacy...etc. Is is possible he's being held back as curve ball for defenses come playoffs?

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you rather give it to Lacy or Harris?

There's the answer. Lacy is too good to take him out often.
I'm not talking about reducing Lacy's snaps. I'm talking about splitting Starks'

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been disappointed that they haven't made Harris a bigger part of the offense. I love watching him play and he's got a unique skillset.

I think a lot of it has to do with Lacy's evolvement as a RB. Instead of just a between the tackles pounder, he's becoming more of an all-purpose, backfield threat guy. That was an area where DuJuan probably could have contributed more if we didn't have that as a part of our offense, but Lacy has made that unnecessary.

Harris is a guy I would be comfortable with in the offense if we had any injury concerns offensively, but barring that I doubt he will see much action in January. I don't find it likely that a guy who hasn't taken many offensive snaps this year will become a bigger part of the offensive gameplan when it matters most. Far more likely that he continues to contribute in his special teams and limited offensive role.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not talking about reducing Lacy's snaps. I'm talking about splitting Starks'

Well, Starks had a total of four snaps yesterday. With Lacy being a complete back by now it´s tough for the third guy on the depth chart to get any snaps.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The coaching staff is more concerned about winning than the ‘fun’ some fans would have watching Harris. Lacy is a legit three down back now - that's a valuable asset in a hurry-up O. How Harris is doing in other phases of the game like blitz pickup has a lot to do with how much PT he’d get if Lacy or Starks goes down. In the meantime, he’s returning KOs. BTW, can anyone think of a player or strategy McCarthy saved for the playoffs?

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would like to see him get some opportunities instead of stark. Wonder if he is too much like lacy style wise and starks others something different as a change of pace

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised to look up the stats and see that Harris averages 4.0 yards while Starks is only 3.6 yards. Lacy leads all RBs with 4.4 yards per carry. Starks was pulled from yesterday's game when he put the ball on the ground. I love McCarthy's attitude about that....and he's done it with Lacy too.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, can anyone think of a player or strategy McCarthy saved for the playoffs?
I've really struggled. It's not a great example, but Starks was essentially saved for the playoffs in 2010. He was on the PUP for the first nine games but was available for Weeks 11-17. He got six carries in Week 14 and 5 in Week 17, and then McCarthy turned him loose for 123 yards on 23 carries in the playoff game against the Eagles. That certainly caught Philadelphia (and Packers fans) off guard.

I still can't think of an offensive or defensive strategy that they've debuted in the playoffs.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I was surprised to look up the stats and see that Harris averages 4.0 yards while Starks is only 3.6 yards. Lacy leads all RBs with 4.4 yards per carry. Starks was pulled from yesterday's game when he put the ball on the ground. I love McCarthy's attitude about that....and he's done it with Lacy too.

Starks looked to be down by contact on the only quick replay I seen. MM will give Starks a -sorry kid- after watching the film

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Harris would be an excellent compliment to Lacy. Once the D gets has gotten pounded by Lacy, Harris' moves would look even better. Starks has had some great runs... but every run he's had for the last couple yrs I think, "How would DuJuan look on that run?" I like Starks, but I'd like to see him used as the 2nd TE... where we need a #1 pick as a TE next yr, btw. But that fact that we have DuJuan on the roster and he just walks around on the sidelines is lunacy.

From a USAToday article, 8/8/13: "I'm excited to see when DuJuan Harris comes back, because I view him as our starter," McCarthy told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday. "I want him to get back in there and earn it like he did all of last year. He made an impact in our offense."

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaching staff is more concerned about winning than the ‘fun’ some fans would have watching Harris. Lacy is a legit three down back now - that's a valuable asset in a hurry-up O. How Harris is doing in other phases of the game like blitz pickup has a lot to do with how much PT he’d get if Lacy or Starks goes down. In the meantime, he’s returning KOs. BTW, can anyone think of a player or strategy McCarthy saved for the playoffs?

It's not just "fun." He's a true change of pace back. Starks is a change of pace from Lacy in the sense that a Land Rover is a change of pace from a Humvee. In the same analogy, Harris is a Porsche... compact, quick, fast, and agile. As for blitz pickups, that was one of the things he excelled at 2 years ago.

As a courtesy to those who may have forgotten, or perhaps never seen for whatever reason:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He's exactly the same size as Barry Sanders and I'll be damned if he doesn't have a bit of Barry in him at times. As Lakedog said, pound on the defense with Lacy and Starks and then when the defense gets winded, run a fresh DuJuan at them for a few plays.

Last edited:

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're spot on Jaysus! I'm sure Lacy is a between-the-tackles back more than Harris, but if they start putting Harris in the game in weeks 14 - 16, maybe we can see him used outside the tackles only and Lacy inside only... in the playoffs. I'm still saying my prayers MM remembers what Cobb did at KY. These aren't the only ways to win, but in the red zone... well, he's lined up Raji & Peppers in the offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

i would like to see him get some opportunities instead of stark. Wonder if he is too much like lacy style wise and starks others something different as a change of pace

Harris (5-8, 203) is a completely different RB than Lacy (5-11, 230). He would be a nice change of pace back if given the opportunity.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
captainWIMM, what the hell is going on? You and I are finding ourselves in agreement waaay too much lately.:tup:

Last edited:

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one who think Harris looks slow this year. Ever time I've seen him with the ball he looks very slow. Even in the kick offs. He takes forever to attack the gaps.

D

Deleted member 6794

Am I the only one who think Harris looks slow this year. Ever time I've seen him with the ball he looks very slow. Even in the kick offs. He takes forever to attack the gaps.

I don't think he's looking slow but undecisive on kickoff returns.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hasn't looked like that to me at all. He looked quick the last time he got major PT against Chicago. Most of his kickoff returns have been touchbacks. I noticed earlier in the season that he was a little too aggressive taking kickoffs out but he seems to be doing better there.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're spot on Jaysus! I'm sure Lacy is a between-the-tackles back more than Harris, but if they start putting Harris in the game in weeks 14 - 16, maybe we can see him used outside the tackles only and Lacy inside only... in the playoffs. I'm still saying my prayers MM remembers what Cobb did at KY. These aren't the only ways to win, but in the red zone... well, he's lined up Raji & Peppers in the offense.

Running Harris only outside and Lacy only inside is a great way to tell the defense where we are going to run it.

Reaction score
Starks looked to be down by contact on the only quick replay I seen. MM will give Starks a -sorry kid- after watching the film
The ground clearly caused that fumble. The replay camera had the angle clearly. Problem is some ref's suffer from Wanstadt Syndrome.. Which is basically being afraid to call it like it really is...

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I know DuJuan has seen some trash time action, but I'm disappointed that he hasn't been used much when it matters. I was really hoping to see some great change-of-pace stuff from him this year. He clearly has all of his speed and agility back since his injury and damn it, the guy's just fun to watch. Am I missing something? Is there a reason he isn't being used? I think it would be ideal to use a rotation of Lacy-Starks-Lacy-Harris-Lacy...etc. Is is possible he's being held back as curve ball for defenses come playoffs?
Yes, your missing all the practices the coaches see him at. With Lacy pretty much being an every down back now, why would you want to take him off the field. Look at how few touches Starks it getting. Maybe they have some plays planned for him down the stretch.

Reaction score
The question "why? "Is that of wise man. We can all surmise who, what, where and when in the comfort of our intellect. But "why" or "why not" is an intuitive question that takes those prior questions and puts them to use. I think it's entirely possible that based on DuJuans performance that working him in would be prudent IMO. I've been contemplating that very thought of using him as a "change up pitch" late 3rd or early 4th quarter on long drive where the opposing D is becoming notably winded. No offense to Eddie, but their are times when pure burst and finishing speed out trumps even a power back. Not to mention I believe we are under utilizing Lacys hands, he proved formidable as a receiver in recent weeks and then we backed off almost noticeably and went almost exclusive rushing. Maybe that's the "wildcard" you guys are surmising. I think that every great coach does keep the long term project in mind as far as progression of game plan, not just for the game, but week to week. You know. The macro. And micro economics of the game. GPG I'm glad I'm not alone here

Reaction score
When was the last time we've even seen Starks besides on passing downs?
Well, he had 1 run against MN that was ruled a fumble.. although IMO it was clear on video the ground caused it (another of the half dozen bad calls (or no calls) that went against us. Thats the only rushing attempt I remember last week. Coincidentally he picked up about 5+ on an end around but because of a poor call got -4 on a ruled fumble

Staff online

Latest posts