What's life really like in Green Bay?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Milking a cow is a right of passage for a true WI born boy or girl. Last hand-milked "Pearl", "Cleo" and "Patsy" over 50 years ago. That was just before the grandparents sold what was still left of the farm.
I have helped a farmer deliever a few calves.. That's crazy stuff there

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
So what's it really like in Green Bay? This week, the temps were up in the 60's - for February, that's about 30-degrees above "normal". Normal being the average daily temperature over the last 30 years. Every bit of snow was gone from my yard and property.

I was thinking about how soon I'd be able to get someone in to power rake/thatch and roll my lawn this year. WAIT!! Hold your horses there, bubzie!! Not so fast, chief!! Yeah, yesterday and again this morning... rude, rude reminder of what always lays in wait in the great Midwest. Northern Wisconsin by reports got buried with up to a foot of snow. Good stuff...fire up the snow blower and you're done in an hour or so.

Oshkosh and the surrounding Fox River Valley area, the last three storms was first hit with freezing rain and ice -- and then snow on top of that -- yeah...what a pain-in-the-keester. :devilish: No biggie if it were just me, but on each side of my house AND across the street, I have older widows whose husbands were friends of mine before passing away ( I still maintain that men die younger than women because we CHOOSE to )...so...as I said, if it were just my property, no biggie. So, as soon as it gets light, I will burn my Saturday morning clearing and deicing 4 properties...each with 25 yard driveways. I know that if something happened to me, those guys would have been digging my wife out in a heartbeat -- so, ya do what ya gotta do, eh? Those pr*cks have a lot nerve kicking off early on me anyway, but that's a whole different rant.

This "Winter Wonderland" crap ... yeah ... not so much. It's great if you're watching a Bing Crosby movie or something but by-and-large, there has to be some way that we could dump this crap on the Brits... :whistling:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

So what's it really like in Green Bay? This week, the temps were up in the 60's - for February, that's about 30-degrees above "normal". Normal being the average daily temperature over the last 30 years. Every bit of snow was gone from my yard and property.

I was thinking about how soon I'd be able to get someone in to power rake/thatch and roll my lawn this year. WAIT!! Hold your horses there, bubzie!! Not so fast, chief!! Yeah, yesterday and again this morning... rude, rude reminder of what always lays in wait in the great Midwest. Northern Wisconsin by reports got buried with up to a foot of snow. Good stuff...fire up the snow blower and you're done in an hour or so.

Oshkosh and the surrounding Fox River Valley area, the last three storms was first hit with freezing rain and ice -- and then snow on top of that -- yeah...what a pain-in-the-keester. :devilish: No biggie if it were just me, but on each side of my house AND across the street, I have older widows whose husbands were friends of mine before passing away ( I still maintain that men die younger than women because we CHOOSE to )...so...as I said, if it were just my property, no biggie. So, as soon as it gets light, I will burn my Saturday morning clearing and deicing 4 properties...each with 25 yard driveways. I know that if something happened to me, those guys would have been digging my wife out in a heartbeat -- so, ya do what ya gotta do, eh? Those pr*cks have a lot nerve kicking off early on me anyway, but that's a whole different rant.

This "Winter Wonderland" crap ... yeah ... not so much. It's great if you're watching a Bing Crosby movie or something but by-and-large, there has to be some way that we could dump this crap on the Brits... :whistling:

:mad: is that right ?? Keep your damn snow and suck it up like a man. We have enough problems with what we have already. :confused:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that if something happened to me, those guys would have been digging my wife
That's when my reception ended. What did you say after that? If nothing then please post pics.
Drove to and from work overnight through that crap. Stayed off I-41 as much as possible. With the snow on top the ice, we don't clear the driveway, just pack it down. 3 of our 5 vehicles are 4X4 for a reason.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Drove to and from work overnight through that crap. Stayed off I-41 as much as possible. With the snow on top the ice, we don't clear the driveway, just pack it down. 3 of our 5 vehicles are 4X4 for a reason.

I live about a half mile off 41...near the hospitals. The non-stop sirens started...ohhh...about 6:30. I kind of expected it given the 4x4's insisting on doing 70 in that crap.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I live about a half mile off 41...near the hospitals. The non-stop sirens started...ohhh...about 6:30. I kind of expected it given the 4x4's insisting on doing 70 in that crap.
Thing is, my work car isn't 4WD and I didn't take the truck that night. It's for the real deep stuff. Control is better in the car on slimey roads. 2 mornings last week I ran Northland through Appleton instead of going the extra 1/2 mile to get on 41.

Pckrs1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually it is pretty quiet outside the bar scene. Most every one in town needs to get up for work in the morning.
Were any residents a problem when it came to purchasing the land for Title Town? I posted something the other day and it is gone? Thank you..

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Were any residents a problem when it came to purchasing the land for Title Town? I posted something the other day and it is gone? Thank you..
Most of the titletown district were commercial businesses. A defunct K-Mart, small older hotel, gas station, a few restaurants, strip mall. Houses were bought at a premium price but nobody extorted that I heard about.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Ok...it's been about 3 years since I last complained about snow and ice...so...grab a cup of joe and ease on up...

In Wisconsin, if and I say IF you're lucky, the city snow plow will come through BEFORE you put the blower away after doing sidewalks and driveways. Never fails...I always end up having to pull that sucker out at night after clearing it at 5 a.m., and AFTER Mrs. Weeds and the merry widows have driven over the snow pile at the end of the driveway 5 times... leaving Mount Kilimanjaro there for ol' Weeds to chop through. :mad:

Um... Poppa San, that signature might be perceived in some circles as perhaps... a little much? :unsure:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This morning was the coldest May 12th ever. 25°F. Set the record by 2 degrees. Coldest May day ever. Latest 20° day in the season ever. My potato plants froze off. They were about 1" (25mm for our Europosters) tall. I hope they come back. Everything else is in the house yet. Rhubarb and dandelions didn't seem phased.

Reaction score
This morning was the coldest May 12th ever. 25°F. Set the record by 2 degrees. Coldest May day ever. Latest 20° day in the season ever. My potato plants froze off. They were about 1" (25mm for our Europosters) tall. I hope they come back. Everything else is in the house yet. Rhubarb and dandelions didn't seem phased.
That damn global warming! Oh wait... did you say 25!? After Mother’s Day!? I don’t miss that at all..
I do oddly enough miss the snow now here in East Texas
Miss Rhubarb pie, my favorite ever.

Members online

Latest posts