Whatever happened to ; Mark Chmura ??

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he got caught with a teenage girl in a hot tub , and she accused him of other things . Whatever happened to the case ? Was he found innocent ?

If he was found innocent , why isn't he back in football ? Is he to embarrassed ? I mean other players have done worse - Randy Moss , Ray Lewis , Ricky Williams , ect. - and they are back in football . How old is Chewy now ?

I just had a vision of Chewy on one side and Bubba on the other , like the Super Bowl year in '96. I always liked Chewy , devestating blocker , great hands and a TD machine around the goal line.

GO PACK :feedback:

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmmm... He might be and is probably a bit old to play anymore...

His case is strange to say the least. It seems he was proven not guilty but it seems that the public believes he is also NOT innocent.

Any way, it seems the Packers management doesnt want him for it might darken the te3am's image. It seems Chmura didn't REALLY want to continue playing if this case was held over his head... May be it was or it seemed that way.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ohiopacker said:
I know he got caught with a teenage girl in a hot tub , and she accused him of other things . Whatever happened to the case ? Was he found innocent ?

If he was found innocent , why isn't he back in football ? Is he to embarrassed ? I mean other players have done worse - Randy Moss , Ray Lewis , Ricky Williams , ect. - and they are back in football . How old is Chewy now ?

I just had a vision of Chewy on one side and Bubba on the other , like the Super Bowl year in '96. I always liked Chewy , devestating blocker , great hands and a TD machine around the goal line.

GO PACK :feedback:

yes ohio, but moss and williams did mischief compared to chewy. he was in a place where he didnt belong in the first place. yes he got off. he should be back in football too. but hes tarnished for good now.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's say it had been your daughter involved in this. Would you still be interested in seeing Chmura playing?? He was found innocent, but ending his career was fitting punishment, imo.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His attorney during his legal trouble was Gerald Boyle. After the hot tub thing went away, Chumura went to work for Boyle as an assistant. I was covering a case in Vilas county circuit court involving one of Boyle's clients and Chumura was there.
A normally placid female reporter from the local paper got all ga-ga when Churmura was around.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Mark Chumura was guilty of being stupid enough to go to a neighbors house after having way too much to drink and getting in a hot tub with a neighbors daughter. I would be surprised if there were some indiscretions involved, but was there anything going on against the law? I don't think so. But under the influence of alcohol on the part of both him and the girl stupid things happen. I wish the entire incident hadn't happened and I bet he does too. The price he paid was very high. If it were my daughter I'd be wondering what the heck she was doing drinking and I'd be telling her to be smart enough not to be playing with fire. And I'd sure as heck hope that she would be smart enough not to be in that position to start with.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We followed that case quite closely, and there was a high school football senior who said that he told the girl not to go into the bathroom because Chumura was in there, and she went in any way. The kid was told that if he testified that he told the girl that he wouldn't get a football scholarship. I give him a lot of credit for doing what he felt was right. The girl was also going to file a civil suit, but I haven't heard anything about that. Yes, if Chumura hadn't been there, there wouldn't have been any trouble.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Packedhouse, I'd tell my daughter the same. So who is telling Chmura what is right and what is wrong?? Seems to me by the time you're his age you ought to know better. I know some people very close to the case, and the story I've been told is a bit different from what Carol is saying. Chmura got what he deserved.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know anyone close to the case, but I followed it pretty closely. Chumura was stupid and unbelievably arrogant to think that he could do stuff like that not have some repercussions. At his age he should be old enough to better, but that's what alcohol will do for you. It makes you more brave than you really are.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah - the reports I read were that he was being accused of things by that Teenager which were simply not true. He probably could have locked the bathroom door, but just the same, as a girl with some brains (???) - I'd say she should have known better and her Parents should have been up on the witness stand, as well. Certainly, she was playing games....

Favre would probably luv to have Chewey back - they were inseparable in the SuperBowl run. The Tiger option on Offense was magic back in the day - and it would probably still work now - even better.. That's why I was hoping Ben Steele could get his act together...

They said Chmura was innocent of any wrong-doing totally. The girl had been found to be lying across the board. If she tried to file a class-action suit, then I'd think her Parents might think better about it. Chewey's staying out of the limelight at his Wife's expectations... (I'd like to hear what 'she' said to that teenager, myself, eh?)

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had big aspirations for a political career also that went down the tubes. He was very active in the Republican party. The only one who looked good throughout this whole thing was his wife who stood by him and was a class act. I wonder if they are still married? He is way too old to play and had major injuries the year before this happened but I would not object to him being a coach. Him and Favre were big time buddies back then and this may have made Brett change his ways too.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember he also had a neck injury. The Packers thought it was too great a serious injury risk to have him come back. He had stated he would like to get back into football and had started working out. There must have been some validitly to the injury risk due to the fact that nobody else signed him either.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chmura is long gone and we only have the memories of him making plays from the TE position that we really haven't made since - between the 20's. Does anyone else out there think that Bubba could still be that type of player if the Packers would give him the opportunity? It seems like the Packers offense doesn't even call on the TE unless it's in the redzone where #88 almost turns out to be the number one option?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ND,

Packer Offense is DIFFERENT from the one that Chmura played in. They aren't as 'westcoast" as they used to be.

When the Packers changed to a more Vertical passing team, augmented by the strong running, they became less of the shorter pass and more of the stretch team. That reduced the role of the TE and the screen passes that we were Oh-So-Good at.

Notice the diminished number of screen passes being called? And the sit routes that Chmura and the other TEs used to run?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was lucky. Not playing football again was a small price to pay for a really stupid move on his part. It could have been worse.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
He was lucky. Not playing football again was a small price to pay for a really stupid move on his part. It could have been worse.
Actually - considering the players and their caliber now allowed to "stay" in the NFL these days... think Baltimore Ravens right about now.... Well, let's just say Chewey got the shaft in a much more harsh manner than he deserved... If drug addicts and attendees at the scene of murders can be allowed to stay, then getting caught in a hot tub with younger girls... who were dressed, by the way - well... let's just say it was big time unfair to the guy and to the Team.

This political correctness for certain Teams or certain Players just offends my backside to no end... Even if he had that neck injury - the Packers could have pushed thru the healing process... like they have with others... The girl was proved to be lying and Mark actually did no real wrong...

This is a protocol (applied by the Packers) that I think the entire NFL should have as a base response to "any" Player. If they're gonna get rid of Mark Chmura for what he did, then Ray Lewis and several others should be out of football, period! What are teaching our children these days..... huh?

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a protocol (applied by the Packers) that I think the entire NFL should have as a base response to "any" Player. If they're gonna get rid of Mark Chmura for what he did, then Ray Lewis and several others should be out of football, period! What are teaching our children these days..... huh?

Agree with you 100% Prez. They were trying to change Lewis's jail time so he doesn't miss any football. Hell, he shouldn't be able to play football.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Philtration said:
Actually - considering the players and their caliber now allowed to "stay" in the NFL these days... think Baltimore Ravens right about now.... Well, let's just say Chewey got the shaft in a much more harsh manner than he deserved... If drug addicts and attendees at the scene of murders can be allowed to stay, then getting caught in a hot tub with younger girls... who were dressed, by the way - well... let's just say it was big time unfair to the guy and to the Team.

This political correctness for certain Teams or certain Players just offends my backside to no end... Even if he had that neck injury - the Packers could have pushed thru the healing process... like they have with others... The girl was proved to be lying and Mark actually did no real wrong...

I totally agree. Too many punks get away with murder because they are pro athletes. If it were you or I then I think that the punishment would have ben much harsher.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts