1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

What was more stupid from Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Bogart, Nov 13, 2011.

?

Biggest dumb play by the Falcons

1. The onside kick late in the 4th quarter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Going for it on 4th and Inches, at your own 29 yardline in Overtime

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Trying to air it out deep in OT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    This seems to have really sparked controversy.

I think the Saints should have won this on Roman Harper's dropped interception on the last drive.

Other than that, the on side kick was pretty dumb, as it would have also led to three points for N.O. without a BS penalty on Jimmy Graham.

Both teams missed a field goal early on.

But I gotta say...I've seen a lot of things, but going for it deep in your own territory in OT, is pretty stupid, when you can give them the ball back in field goal position.

So what's your call? Would you go for it on 4th and inches at your own 29 yardline in OT, and not trust your Defense though they were stopping Brees?

Would you pull a move like them in OT, and start throwing deep passes like it's your only shot at winning, after you ran the ball so well against a bad defense that can't tackle?

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    All of them were kinda stupid.

Airing it out for the Falcons isn't exactly a great idea because Ryan's deep ball accuracy has been inconsistent at best and so have Roddy Whites hands.

Onside kick was stupid and they were fortunate that the Saints shot themselves in the foot with the holding call on Graham. But I can understand trying to sustain momentum and keep the ball out of Brees' hands.

But the 4th down call was arguably the worst. Although I didn't think it was a terrible to decision to go for it on 4th down, but the choice to run Turner up the gut was a terrible call when they were stacking the box.

3. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,409
    Should of thrown more passes to roddy white and not Harry douglas

4. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I believe going for on 4th down it was the right decision. It was a testament to how well NO's offense was performing, and the only way to win is to keep the ball out of Drew Brees' hands. It's easy to criticize in hindsight, but if they make that 4th down conversion, no one says a word about it being a stupid call.

The actual play call itself was dumb, but the decision to go for it was a smart one.

5. gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89 Bleeding Green and Gold

Ratings:
    +192
    I'm gonna say going for it on 4th down in OT that was just plain stupid

6. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +483
    Yes, deep in your own territory.

7. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    The Saints had White covered, when he threw to him, in typical Roddy White tradition, it was intercepted. I'm sure he's running his mouth right now on Twitter how they got screwed by the refs, after he bitched every time he dropped a pass and wanted a flag.

Douglas on the other hand, was wide open that entire game. The final drive that tied it, they hit 3 passes to Douglas and the Saints Defense didn't even bother to cover him after the first pass, they got burned 3 times in a row by the same guy without a single defender near him, so I think throwing to him was smart.

8. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    All of the above. A lot of poor coaching decisions were made in that game and any one of them could be grounds for losing the game. You either trust your D or not and if you don't, what kind of message does that send to your D especially if you fail anyway?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,409
    Falcons need to be more creative. This whole let's have long drives with 12 plays every drive only worked well last year. They need to mix it up.

10. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    It was a dumb play at the end, but you gotta think that Turner is good for a yard 9 times out of 10. That being said, even if they got the first down that didnt mean they were gonna score. Those plays usually only make sense when they determine a win or a loss.