What to do w/ Green and Najeh...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think something interesting is transpiring...

At the beginning of the season, we all would have liked to see both kept but figured they'd cost too much...

Now with their injuries and age, I'm guessing that they could be retained for pretty cheap....

But, would the Packers even want them back due to their injuries, etc?!?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green is a tough call, but i figure he'll be gone next year. it's a tough break for him getting banged up early in the season, dealing with the chemistry-less O-line, etc. but i think his regression as a RB might've played a part as well.

Davenport is always hurt, so a new contract for him should reflect it...right? i wouldn't mind having him come back to retain his back-up role as long as he came cheap, because depending on him at this point is completely boneheaded.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This morning's stories indicate no one will know just what Green has until maybe MAY OR JUNE next year.

29 year old with injury and personal problems....he's really fallen off the table since the late part of last season(that was WITH Wahle and Rivera).

Davenport is an injury waiting to happen. End of story.

It's time to move on in both cases. There will be another booty of good running backs out of college this fall, plus a couple free agent possibilities.

It's time to go young and strong. Ashcan both Green and Davenport and start fresh.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you net, it's time to move on although I don't know that we need to draft a running back in the 1st round unless Bush is available.
Bush will come at a steep price though.

spillage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will the same posters be calling for the return of Davenport or Green after Green Bay gets another Terdell Middleton, or Eddie Lee Ivory? We have been blessed with good rushers since Bennet. I am hoping for a solid recovery from at least one of our rb's and a return next year.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe re-sign Davenport, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to sign Green.

Maybe draft some backs, sign a free agent or 2, sign Green to a cheap deal and have them all compete against each other in training camp and preseason.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
They say the injury Green has is the same Dotson had and was never the same from??

I say go with Najeh, resign him to a incentive laden contract on performance for one year and go from there.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of you...it's very unfortunate for both Green and Davenport (and the Packers) but that's the NFL. TT must do what is best for the team not just individuals. With good RBs constantly coming out the team can re-stock quickly. But until our OL problems get solved I'm not sure even Reggie Bush could get yardage.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green's injury is career threatening. He likely will never be what he was.
He likes the Packers and I think that he may get a one year contract and compete for the #2 position. If he does not work out he will be cut prior to the 06 season.

Davenport just isn't that valuable and is not likely to get any better than he has been.

I expect that at least one RB will be drafted. There are good ones available in the 3rd round. Few are worth a first round.

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RBs are a dime a dozen in today's NFL. Both will only be back if they'll play for peanuts. I think we can get someone late in the draft.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now maybe you people will understand why players hold out....

The NFL is a scumbag league that takes advantage of player's injuries..

Now if you had guaranteed contracts like in baseball....

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle said:
RBs are a dime a dozen in today's NFL. Both will only be back if they'll play for peanuts. I think we can get someone late in the draft.

there's always teams with a glut of running backs...buffalo couldn't get rid of travis henry fast enough this past offseason, and i think they ended up with a 4th round pick from TN

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Green should have been paid more when he was rushing for 1800 yards...

The nfl "contract" situation is a disgrace, and should be revamped...

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The player's union negotiated the current contract situation. They (the players) have no one to blame but themselves. They forfeit long-term, guaranteed contracts in favor of huge signing bonuses. I find it very difficult to feel bad for mulitimillionaires.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

To a certain extent, I agree w/ you Pack66 :shock: ...... :p

I sort of felt bad for JW and now AG...both wanted new contracts in the event of an injury (although one was obviously a bit more public)...and both are probably going to get screwed over in the pocket relative to what they could have received.

With that said, you mention guarnteed contracts...imagine what would happen w/ guys like Hunt or Freeman though...the Packers would be getting even less $ back.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

True, but when the underachievers like Reynolds and Hunt pay back the money they didn't earn, then I'd be willing to give the underpaid players under contract like Green the money they deserve.

Members online

Latest posts