What ever happened to - Travis Williams ?

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt he set an all time record for best kickoff return average in a season at something like 41 yds per return in '68 ?

What's he doing now ?

GO PACK:USA:

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken,he died a while back.I forget what it was he died from.That's all I can tell you,some of the other packer fans here probaly know more....

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He died a few years back, I also can't recall what the cause of his death was. In 1967, Travis Williams (Rookie year) led the league in Kickoff return ave 40.06 yards- 18 returns for 739 yards. This a NFL record for a rookie and also for all kickoff returners in the NFL. Travis (The roadrunner) Williams played for the Packers from 1967-70. He was kick returner and running back for the Packers out of Arizona State. In 1967 He scored 4 touchdowns returning kickoffs, and two TDs in one game that year. Travis scored 5 TD via returning kickoffs in his career.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't he die of TB?

I don't know for sure but last I heard he was destitute and homeless in the streets of Los Angeles and then soon after a story was aired, he died of Turberculosis...

NOT 100% positive though... This was in the 80s.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Didn't he die of TB?

I don't know for sure but last I heard he was destitute and homeless in the streets of Los Angeles and then soon after a story was aired, he died of Turberculosis...

NOT 100% positive though... This was in the 80s.

You are correct Obi, that is what happened. Really a sad story.

He was really something special when Lombardi was there. When Lombardi left he was never the same. One of the fastest guys to ever wear a Packer uniform. Amazing burst. Travis had a fumbling problem his rookie year so Lombardi made him carry a football everywhere and it cured the problem. The ball just had to become a natural thing for his hands to hold. Works for recievers too. Of course todays players are beyond such simple solutions. :-?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you remember his proficiency with the spoken English language? Very thick

One of the the things the Packers do that no other team does is to have voluntary classes on what to do after football. Handling the next career, being wise with their assets and other key skills help players after football and avoid becoming a Travis Williams.

An athlete who sells a Super Bowl Ring, Olympic Medal, or has his Heisman Trophy confiscated and sold at auction to partially compensate damages for wrongful death, is really in sad shape.

For their long history there are very few washed up Packer player stories.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my ex-bosses was a close friend of one of the Packers 60's legends. This legend used to call him all the time at work, so it isn't b.s. My ex-boss said Travis contracted a v.d. during his time with the Packers and it set him in reverse.

There has never been a kickoff/punt returner like Travis. I saw him runback not one...but two...kickoffs for touchdowns one one game. He was a 9.3/100 yard guy and was the third back. Teams would scheme for weeks trying NOT to kick him the ball. He hit the seam and he was gone. Imagine Tony Fisher with world-class speed with moves like Gayle Sayers. That was Travis Williams.

D

Dan115

The road runner had a big game vs the Cards on a Mon night game. I also remember a big game vs Browns. His best I think was in the playoffs vs the Rams in Milwaukee a Sat game.

Staff online

Latest posts