What Changes, if any, need to be made?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training camp is such an important time for all NFL teams. As we look back at the last five seasons and as we see how our team opened the season, what changes do you think need to be made in training camp to have us more ready to open the season?

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"If any"? I hope your not serious packedhouse01. I am just as big of Packer fan as anyone else but I can see that we have plenty of holes to fill. Maybe more as the season pans out (also maybe less as the season pans out).

Current holes in the Packer roster as I see it:

1. #2 CB - Even though it looks to be Thomas' job to lose, would he truly be a #2 corner on a good NFL defense. Currently No.

2. 1 to 3 LB positions. This position, especially now with the new scheme, seems to be in flux. By mid season Barnett could return to his rookie year form and Diggs could step up more.

3. 1 DT position. Maybe both as the year goes on if Grady's health continues to decline. We have a lot of potential at DT but currently no one has proven they are NFL starting material for a GOOD NFL defense.

4. Both safety positions. Again would any of these safeties be starting on a GOOD NFL D? No (maybe, and I repeat maybe, Freeman).

5. A run stopping DE opposite Kampman. KGB is situational and light. His weaknesses are easily exploited. Fans forget that his lofty sack #s from last year were helped by one game against the sorry *** Bears in which he had 4 sacks.

6. TE - Even if Bubba comes back we need a #2 TE.

7 Back up QB - It seems strange to say this is a hole in the roster as a back up position, but it is. Can we count on Nall to perform as a TOP NFL QB if Favre goes down? It is tough to say yes to that question.

8. O-line - Klemm and O'Dwyer better be good. Barry better play to his potential also.

As for our D holes that I have listed, any NFL player can start on Defense but the question is can they start on a GOOD NFL defense. Last I checked we wanted to the Packs D to be good this year not just average or below average.

Alot of these holes can change if performances of alot of guys improve and/or new guys also step up. What I have noticed from watching the NFL is that teams shouldn't expect more than 1 or 2 new guys to step up to their potential in a year (aside from the steady peforming vets - which we have few of on D). Usually this factor is evened out on a roster by 1 or 2 guys a year that under perform.

We also cannot forget to account for injuries. Pray that we have few.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to improve our defense across the board. We were horrible last year and it is just fantasy to think we have improved much. Everyone is acting like free agent cast offs (like Roman was last year) are all of a sudden going to be all pro or even above average. None of our draftees are likely to provide immediate help aka Carroll and Thomas last year. Our best DL are Jackson and Kampman who are only above average and KGB is purely situational who padded his stats against bad teams like the Bears. If this defense doesn't finish in the top twenty we are screwed and I see nothing to tell me it will.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything written here. I was thinking more along the line of how camp is run, what the emphasis should be. I agree that our personel needs are well documented, but from a coaching standpoint what changes need to be made to prepare for the beginning of the season. Sherman appears to place a lot of emphasis on team chemistry, but he doesn't seem to place much emphasis on the mental aspects of game preparation. Any ideas on how we can improve in this area? Or, do we need to improve in this area?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, how about waiting to even see Thomas play as a starter before we cast him off as someone who shouldn't be a quality CB on a good defense? He's got all the physical tools but he lacks the experience. Yes, experience is huge in this game but at least give the guy a clean slate to prove one way or another if he's a player.

As far as the LB's go, Bates system puts the most pressure on the LB's. Barnett has already expressed his pleasure in this new scheme as it allows the players to play more than one gap. I think you'll see him go back to his rookie season right away. Diggs will be a much better LB going back to his original position on the strong-side. The other LB may be a question mark.

As far as the other DT, no one has been given much of a chance to prove they belong on a good defense. I say we give those guys the same amount of chance that I stated earlier with Thomas.

KGB is situational just as is Simeon Rice. The difference is that in TB, the LB's flow to the ball and make the play against the run when Rice is on his keister. This year's scheme will allow KGB to do what he does well (AGAINST EVERY NFL TEAM AND NOT JUST THE BEARS), and that's rush the passer because the LB's will be ball-hawks.

As far it is being hard to say Nall is a top NFL QB, it is even harder to say that Favre will go down! Every year he proves people wrong who say there's no way #4 can make it 16 games again this year but he proves them wrong. Backup QB's see less action in GB than anywhere else in the league.

GO PACKERS!!! :joy:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far it is being hard to say Nall is a top NFL QB, it is even harder to say that Favre will go down! Every year he proves people wrong who say there's no way #4 can make it 16 games again this year but he proves them wrong.

Come on. Look how many times Favre got hurt last year in the beggining of the season. It wouldn't surprise me if Favre makes it through the season without missing a game, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he gets hurt and misses a game.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would surprise me if he missed a game considering he hasn't done that in 200+ games and he hired a personal trainer this offseason to get in the best shape he's been in for some time! I'm not going to even think about anyone under center because #4 will be the man this season. I just hope that between Nall, Rodgers, and O'Sullivan, someone can hold the football for FG's for pete's sake!!!

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question -

If Favre sustains an injury in which it affects his play, for example he can only play at 70%, will he miss games until healthy for the betterment of the Pack?

If he is as noble as I believe he is I say, YES. I would sure hope that he wouldn't play to keep a record alive and risk the Packers season.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Wow, how about waiting to even see Thomas play as a starter before we cast him off as someone who shouldn't be a quality CB on a good defense?

Maybe you should take some of your own advice. How about waiting to see how the defense plays under Jim Bates and his new system before you go off touting how great it's going to be.

The proof will be in the pudding.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold up Steel Wheels. I've said along with many others that the defense should not be any worse than it was last year. I am not putting Bates on some pedestal quite yet; however, he has to be a serious upgrade to Slow-ick. How about following some of your own posts Steel Wheels and finally admit that you are a closet anti-Packer?

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
How about following some of your own posts Steel Wheels and finally admit that you are a closet anti-Packer?

Like I said before why should I pretend. I have no problem facing reality. The Packers are what they are, an 8-8 (plus or minus 1) team in 2005.

Stayed tuned for 2006, 2007...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels, that's where we need to agree to disagree. Reality is that the Packers are the 3 time defending NFC North Champions and will make another playoff push. They will win 10 games this year, maybe 11.

Sherman will get an extension after his best year of coaching and you will probably need to check into the psych ward (LOL) because you can't seem to live with Sherman on the sidelines. You've even gone so far as to tell us Packer fans to "forget 2005". That's as ludicrous as anything I've heard on this forum up to date!

Anyway, this is approaching the Smack Area once again and I vowed to stay away from this. Having said that, you are entitled to your opinion as am I. If you are a Packer fan like you claim to be, we have one thing in common and that's the wish for Packer success now and in the future!

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really believe that Bates is going to do a great job with this defense. I couldn't believe that they offered the job to Slowik to start with. Guys like Bates have a reputation for a reason. They know how to get a job done, they're well organized, they're great teachers, and they're smart enough to surround themselves with good coaches. If you look back at Holmgrens carrer in Green Bay, those were his characteristics. He set high standards, believed in his system, hired good teachers as coaches, and was an outstanding motivator. Bates will make a difference.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the defense will be better also, but how much. If we only improve to being 20th in the league it will not be enough to change anything. The younger players will be better, especially Carroll and Thomas, and Bates certainly is an improvement at coach. But I still don't see much new in the DL and if they lack the ability to put pressure on the QB like last year we will be just as bad off. You can't give the QB as much time as we did last year and expect the LB and DB to stop the passing game. You can't let guys run up the middle and have most of your tackles by the linebackers.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Utilizing Jenkins as a DE on 1st and 2nd downs will make a HUGE difference. KGB will be allowed to rest his motor and come in like a rabid dog after the QB. Jenkins is a much better run-stopper than KGB and like Kampman, plays hard all the time. KGB needs to stick to being a situational pass-rusher and he'll help the team much more that way IMHO.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One simple thing I would like to see is some teaching of fundamentals of tackling.

The ability to tackle is a critical skill. Have any of you noticed that some rookies like Marques Anderson and Bahwoh Jue come in and tackle and over time seem to get worse at tackling? Is it due to lack of practice and getting rusty at it?

If Bates just has these guys working on it in camp the defense will be better. Some whiffs by the DB's last year were embarassing.

Members online

Latest posts