What are REALISTIC expectations for AR this year?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have watched your predictions for this coming year all off-season and you are continually saying this isnt a playoff team and I am trying to figure out why not or at least why you are so adamant. Honestly they looked to have fixed three of their biggest weaknesses on defense through free agency and added a solid o-lineman which was another need. At the same time this is a team that was right there with a lot of good teams last year - Rams, Seahawks, Patriots (packers were driving to take the lead late in the 3rd and then things went off the rails), Vikings, Bears, etc. It wasnt like they were getting blown out outside of the Kizer led last game of the year.

So we have a team was right there with the best teams in the league. A team that added very important pieces on defense who even if they only turn out to be league average players would be a big improvement on defense. They got rid of a dysfunctional coaching staff. Not sure why you expect them to be pretty much the same team because 8-8 would be essentially the same as they were last year. Last years team with a little luck would have been 10-6 (Cardinals win, Seahawks win, Vikings win, Rams win) and a little less luck 4-11-1 (losses to Jets and 49ers). That is pretty much an 8-8 type team. They look better than that on paper.

Looking at the division I dont see the two teams in front of having gotten a lot better - the Vikings added middling players and lost a couple pieces to their defense with Richardson and Sendejo. The Bears didnt add much and didnt lose much although Jordan Howard could be a little more of a loss than people realize. He helped Cohen really shine. I think it is really easy to say the Packers improved quite a bit more than those two and have more ammo in the draft to improve more.
there are several teams ahead of us, the schedule is very tough, learning curve with the new system and staff, and the fact that, imo, the team's talent level, although improved, is still not enough (pre-draft). i'd love to be wrong.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot will depend on protection and the play of our receivers. Also, both the line and receivers coaches are going to be very important imho. I am optimistic.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there are several teams ahead of us, the schedule is very tough, learning curve with the new system and staff, and the fact that, imo, the team's talent level, although improved, is still not enough (pre-draft). i'd love to be wrong.

Is the schedule really very tough? I get the Chiefs and Chargers are really good. But they get the skins, raiders, giants, 49ers and broncos who are not looking like good teams. They have the lions twice, and panthers who also don't look great. The Vikings and Cowboys are teams last years Packer either did or would have competed with. The Eagles and bears will be interesting to see what team shows up. I guess I just don't see that as a murders row

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the division I dont see the two teams in front of having gotten a lot better - the Vikings added middling players and lost a couple pieces to their defense with Richardson and Sendejo. The Bears didnt add much and didnt lose much although Jordan Howard could be a little more of a loss than people realize. He helped Cohen really shine. I think it is really easy to say the Packers improved quite a bit more than those two and have more ammo in the draft to improve more.

I know there is the whole winning the off season talk but this is a very good point. From a player standpoint the Packers added much more than the Bears and viking and probably the Lions (I haven't followed their moves as much but I know they made a few) and they really haven't lost anyone that stands out to me. The only two losses that concern me to a point are Cobb and Breeland and in both cases its not because we lost great players but simply now we need to replace them.

There is the new coach thing but to hear most fans talk McCarthy was a main reason for us losing so firing him should be a plus. I would still probably pick the Bears to win the division but I think the Packers could beat them out and i think they can certainly beat out the vikings. I am expecting at least a wild card berth this season

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If LaFleur tries to come in here and make this a running team with current personnel he will be a ONE AND DONE cause were not running over anyone.
Fair point. He can start the process of putting more emphasis on the run, however. This is where he and Gute need to be on the same page. He can want to run the ball all he wants, but unless Gute gets him the right guys it's just a pipe dream. This is where coach/managers like Belichick have a big advantage. They have the vision, and the seamless ability to choose the players to match.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Fair point. He can start the process of putting more emphasis on the run, however. This is where he and Gute need to be on the same page. He can want to run the ball all he wants, but unless Gute gets him the right guys it's just a pipe dream. This is where coach/managers like Belichick have a big advantage. They have the vision, and the seamless ability to choose the players to match.

Yes, THE VISION. Were gonna find out here real soon what the Packers VISION is with how they go about this draft.

I'm hoping they choose the right one.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
4k yards is not hard to rack up in todays NFL ...

Nor is 30+ td

Succesful season would be either 9-7 or 10-6 (or better) resulting in a play off berth. - None left to take blame. Its time to buck up or shut up ...

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With AR's arm talent and NFL rules today he should be able to

55 touchdowns
5 interceptions
4500+ yards

Yes an 11:1 Touchdown to Interceptions ratio

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What is it with people claiming to know things for a fact they have no idea about???

Your calling this person a liar?

From the rules..

We are not going to tolerate name calling or personal attacks on other people just because you disagree with their point of view.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His shoulder is fine. Bones heal 100%. There was no soft tissue damage to scar.

I'm obviously no expert with medical situations, I just happen to observe he isn't hitting the deep ball as much as he used to... But that may be more so the comfortability he had with Jordy because almost all of those real deep passes over the middle were to him. I fearfully hope Allison stays healthy, Rodgers seems to have good chemistry with him. Maybe he can be that guy (Cincinnati offsides pass to sideline is one I think of).

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is it with people claiming to know things for a fact they have no idea about???
What the hell, dude? You don't know me! I happen to be a nurse practitioner. What is your area of expertise to claim that I have "no idea" about how bones heal? Do you want me to explain to you how ossification works in microscopic detail? If so, PM me and I will educate you.

Why do you have to be a jerk to nearly every person on here you disagree with?

You accuse me of having no knowledge of something about which I happen to be very knowledgeable. Do you realize that you betray your own ignorance by doing so? You do it all the time with people.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm obviously no expert with medical situations, I just happen to observe he isn't hitting the deep ball as much as he used to... But that may be more so the comfortability he had with Jordy because almost all of those real deep passes over the middle were to him. I fearfully hope Allison stays healthy, Rodgers seems to have good chemistry with him. Maybe he can be that guy (Cincinnati offsides pass to sideline is one I think of).

I would say the lack of accuracy on his deep ball last year probably had far more to do with his fractured tibia than anything else.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the EXPECTATIONS are very obvious. We still have the draft but it's looking more and more like the same old.

Continue to not give Rodgers the talent he needs around him to win a championship.

If LaFleur tries to come in here and make this a running team with current personnel he will be a ONE AND DONE cause were not running over anyone.

With that said I expect more blame to put on Rodgers and possibly talks of trading him because most people have no clue why this thing isnt working.
You should go out drinking with Rodell. The two of you would have a blast trying to out doom and gloom each other.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You should go out drinking with Rodell. The two of you would have a blast trying to out doom and gloom each other.

It's just Facts. I was probably the biggest homer in here up until the 2015 Champ Game(A game I was at) and probably have never fully recovered from. Since then they have done next to zero to make the neccessary changes up until last year.

Fast forward to 2019 and there are some signs of change with new GM, HC, DC and some big free agent signings on defesne. They still have done next to zero to get the offense what it needs though. Like I posted there is still the draft so I will reserve final judgement for a couple more weeks.

IMO If they blow this draft it might be the final nail in the coffin

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the deep throws, AR had historically generally hit on those with Jennings, Nelson and DD mostly...

Obviously we would like to see him conitnue to progess on that with Davante and possibly MVC

D

Deleted member 6794

What the hell, dude? You don't know me! I happen to be a nurse practitioner. What is your area of expertise to claim that I have "no idea" about how bones heal? Do you want me to explain to you how ossification works in microscopic detail? If so, PM me and I will educate you.

Why do you have to be a jerk to nearly every person on here you disagree with?

You accuse me of having no knowledge of something I happen to be very knowledgeable about. Do you realize that you betray your own ignorance by doing so? You do it all the time with people.

It's hilarious that people are offended by everything these days.

All I'm saying is that as long as you don't have inside information about Rodgers' specific injury there is no way you can make an educated guess on his healing process.

While it was widely reported #12 solely broke his collarbone there could have been additional damage the media or fans know absolutely nothing about.

Therefore guaranteeing his shoulder is back to full strength doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a purely stats point, I'll go with 40+ TD passes, 4500+ yards, and under 10 INT.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hilarious that people are offended by everything these days.

All I'm saying is that as long as you don't have inside information about Rodgers' specific injury there is no way you can make an educated guess on his healing process.

While it was widely reported #12 solely broke his collarbone there could have been additional damage the media or fans know absolutely nothing about.

At one point last year it was specifically related from that Rodgers had no soft tissue damage (no damage to the shoulder joint or any ligmaments), which would be highly unusual for a broken collar bone anyway. Therefore, the only damage was to the bone itself which is all I need to know to tell you that then injury in question has healed 100% and should be as strong, or stronger than ever, barring Rodgers having a serious underlying condition that nobody knows about such as diabetes or severe anemia. Even then it would be rare to have problems healing at his age.

D

Deleted member 6794

At one point last year it was specifically related from that Rodgers had no soft tissue damage (no damage to the shoulder joint or any ligmaments), which would be highly unusual for a broken collar bone anyway. Therefore, the only damage was to the bone itself which is all I need to know to tell you that then injury in question has healed 100% and should be as strong, or stronger than ever, barring Rodgers having a serious underlying condition that nobody knows about such as diabetes or severe anemia. Even then it would be rare to have problems healing at his age.

I'm fine with someone (especially a person with a medical background) providing a general outlook on the chances of a player getting back to full strength after an injury assuming there are no complications.

It doesn't make any sense to present it as a fact that Rodgers collarbone is back to full strength without having any inside information on his condition though.

seems high with the new emphasis being put on the running game. my guess of 35/4000 is probably a little high considering this too.

The Packers will most likely still feature a pass happy offense in 2019.

D

Deleted member 6794

well of course, they have rodgers, but running IS a thing in this new offense. rodgers has already acknowledged this. naturally injuries can tweak things...in either direction.

I fully expect the Packers to run the ball more often in 2019 but the offense will always be centered around Rodgers throwing it.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect the Packers to run the ball more often in 2019 but the offense will always be centered around Rodgers throwing it.
again, of course, but i think it's going to be closer to 50\50 than anyone, including me, was originally thinking...45/55-ish. only one team had a worse run/pass ratio than GB (34/66), and only one team had a higher run/pass ratio than Ten (lefleur- 51/49), last year...thus the reason i now think we're guessing a little high on rodgers' numbers. now if they're playing from behind a lot, because the D sucks, then all bets are off, lol. i'm guessing we'll draft a rb with the 4th or 5th pick too.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts