What a Christmas this could be!!

dren23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bears win over the pack next week will...

1. give them the first sweep in at least 13 years
2. clinch the NFC North
3. severely hurt the vikings chances to make the playoffs

Could Christmas day be any better than that?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would also make it 3 of the last 4 vs. the Packers. I tried to tell everyone here before the season started that these teams were going in opposite directions. It is the Bears that will be the best team in this division for the next few years. Is there anything that shows this not to be true?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Phil, that's possible, or it could be an anomaly like the 2001 season. Also note that we're back in the Reggie Bush sweepstakes and have over $20 million in cap space this offseason so I wouldn't start counting those chickens yet.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think that the Bears future looks a lot brighter than anyone else in the division. Not only is their defense dominant but they are young and all signed for the next few years. They also have cap money to spend (maybe another WR or a good TE)
They should be a good team for a while. They have a level headed coach who the players respect, no ******* players to cause problems and no hold outs or contract problems in the mix.
The Packers will have a hard time if Favre retires (I still think he will) the Vikings are thinking of shopping Culpepper and will probably bring back the meathead and the Lions are a total mess.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot wrong with that Phil. No way do the Vikes shop Dainty unless they get a proven QB in return. I'm not worried about the Lions and I think Favre will be back next year as will a healthy Walker. We have a bunch of $ to spend to upgrade the line and the D, not to mention high draft picks for the first time in 15 years. The Bears are good but need to find a QB (Grossman is decent but can't stay on the field).

In all honesty, I see the division coming down to a Pack vs. Bears battle next year and maybe for the next few if Rodgers turns out to be a player - quite frankly this is the way it should be too IMO.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grossman will be fine if he can put his injuries behind him (just like TO said).

I too see a Packers/Bears showdown with the Vikes close behind IF we can stay remotely healthy.

The Packers season would have been way different if Walker wasn't injured. We would have won at least 3 more games.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Grossman should be good enough if he can stay healthy. People around the league have bashed Orton but take a closer look at what he has done.
A 4th round pick in his rookie season and he not only gets 12 real NFL games under his belt but also 9 wins before being pulled. He threw more TDs and for more yardage than any other rookie QB this season and took the switch to Grossman like a professional.
What more can you ask for from a 23 year old in the middle of a playoff race? How much further along is Orton compared to Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers at this point?
I still think that he has a good future ahead of him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Dude, seriously you have GOT to drop this ***** you have with Orton. The bears D is what has been winning the games. Not the guy who has the WORST qb rating in the NFL, aka ORTON.

Comparing him to a guy who is been a full season BACKUP? Give me a break. Weak!

As for Smith, I don't know squat about him. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Smith is not as good as Orton. That's purely based on what I've heard about Smith.

Now Rex is starting, I think the Bears are a force to be reckoned with.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Dude, seriously you have GOT to drop this ***** you have with Orton. The bears D is what has been winning the games. Not the guy who has the WORST qb rating in the NFL, aka ORTON.

Comparing him to a guy who is been a full season BACKUP? Give me a break. Weak!

As for Smith, I don't know squat about him. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Smith is not as good as Orton. That's purely based on what I've heard about Smith.

Now Rex is starting, I think the Bears are a force to be reckoned with.
I never said that Orton won these games for the Bears and I certainly don't have a ***** for him. Every Bears fan was just hoping that he could hold on until Grossman returned.
How many rookie QBs can start 12 straight games for any team and not lose at least a few for them? He did what was asked of him and took the criticism and QB change like a man. For that he deserves a little credit and maybe some respect as well.
I can compare him to Rodgers and Smith because they were all taken in the same draft and Rodgers may have to start next season. At least Rodgers had the opportunity to learn the offense for a year with no pressure on him to perform or even play a few downs for that matter.
I posted Orton's numbers vs. the great Michael Vick's the other day and they are not that much different.
If you had to start Orton or Rodgers for a game right now which one do you choose?[/

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

How many rookie QBs can start 12 straight games for any team and not lose at least a few for them?
If you had to start Orton or Rodgers for a game right now which one do you choose?[/

With respect to the first point, nearly any with that defense and with respect to the second, you pray for the Bears defense to show up and it almost doesn't matter.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Who could have won those games? Seeing as he has the worst QB Rating in the NFL that really gives you a lot of choices to answer your own question.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are too wrapped up in the QB rating number. There are 23 QBs in the league with a higher passer rating than Brett Favre. Are you now going to say that this number means nothing because it is Brett almighty?

Orton has thrown for more yards and TDs than Chris Simms who is in his 2nd season.

Orton has thrown for more yards and the same numbers of TDs as Joey Harrington who is in his 4th season and was a first round pick in the draft.

Orton has thrown for more yards and the more TDs than Kyle Boller who is in his 3rd season and was a first round pick in the draft.

Orton has thrown for more yards and the more TDs than J.P. Losman who is in his 2nd season and was a first round pick in the draft.

Orton has the same completion percentage as Eli Manning who is in his 2nd season and was not only a first round pick but also the number 1 over all pick in the draft.

Orton has completed more passes this season than Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwhich who are all in at least their 2nd season in the league and were all first round picks.
You need to get over this Orton sucks thing that you have or at least wait and see how Mr. Rodgers turns out.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil once again your obsession with /Favre is amazing. there are 23 guys with better ratings than favre because Favre is having the worst season of his career.

BTW...enjoy this season as much as you did the 2001 season. Deja vu all over again.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You missed the point again. Orton had a better rookie season than most QBs ever do. My comments had nothing to do with Brett Favre other then showing that the passer rating number can be misleading. I used Favre because he is a hall of fame QB and is the only thing that a lot pf people here comprehend or relate to as you have just proven. Out of all the points that I made in my last post about Kyle Orton the only thing that you saw was "Favre" :roll:

Members online

Latest posts