1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

We may take a player or two in the Supplemental draft?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Vrill, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
  2. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    It'll never happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,662
    I don't expect Thompson to spend a pick, which he would have to forfeit in the corresponding round of next years draft, for any of the players available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +568
    I agree, it won't happen.

5. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    If the players go undrafted I believe any team can sign them as an undrafted free agent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +460
    If they really like one of these guys and have him pegged as a 3rd round talent, I could see Thompson using a 4th round pick on him. He knows he's probably going to get two 4th round compensatory picks in next years draft. That's 3 picks in a 6-8 pick stretch in the area of picks 130-140.

7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
  8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,662
    First of all Thompson has never selected any player in the supplemental draft. In addition it seems like OT Isaiah Battle is the most interesting player in this year's draft. According to College Football Focus he only ranked 157th out of all tackles in pass protection and 54th in run blocking, nothing to get excited about.

You're probably right assuming the Packers will get two fourth-round compensatory picks in 2016 for losing Williams and House.

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    Using a pick in the supplemental draft generally is akin to throwing a pick away. It's not justified

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +460
    It is if your scouts are convinced it is, you're getting good value and you have extra picks to leverage. If those conditions aee met, you're essentially getting a guy a year ahead to work with if you're convinced he can win a roster spot. I do agree with the overall principle that it's an unusual occurrence and the moon and stars need to align correctly. It's another rock to turn over in acquiring players.

11. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    Rams used a 5th to take him so it's a moot point now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    IMO this statement is too definitive. Mike Whale was selected by Ron Wolf in the second round of the 1998 supplemental draft. The Packers drafted him as an OT and while that didn't work out, he turned into a very good OG. I believe Wahle's success is unusual for a supplemental draft pick but I haven't (and won't) research it. But I think the reason for a player being in the supplemental draft goes a long way to determining whether or not he's worth acquiring.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +737
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    Wahle played for Navy and eventually came to the supplemental draft after serving his military commitment. His success was as unusual among supplemental draftees as were his circumstances.

There have been only 42 supplemental picks in the history of the NFL. The success stories are rather limited:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364058/article/eight-nfl-supplemental-draft-success-stories

Since Josh Gordon was a recent supplemental, a second rounder, imaginations can get excited, prior college suspensions and eventual NFL suspensions not withstanding.

• Informative Informative x 2