Washington's Team Name Under Review

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In an otherwise "slow news period" for the NFL, the Redskins have come into focus with the wave of social justice reform sweeping the nation. I remember when President Obama appealed for the name change years ago but it mostly fell on deaf ears. I remembered I was reluctantly in favor back then, but I'm in full support now. While there's no certainty which way Owner Dan Snyder will go (and that's the real circus), I did find one of the popular fan submissions quite appealing:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

How do you guys feel about it? Being an African-American myself, having several pilots in the family, and with Tuskegee being not too far away from my home, I daresay I might make a proposed Washington Redtails my 3rd favorite team after the Packers and Jaguars.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think then name will be changed. The political climate is ripe for this.

I'm not for the name change, and I am part native American. Wonder what the % of native Americans think of the change? Not sure that anyone really actually cares. But as a former card carrying member of the Sioux tribe, I have no fears as the liberals are very caring and will think for me.

Going to say no on Redtails. It is military and it may offend antiwar hippies and the homosexuals who were banned from military service. Why celebrate hemophobic baby murderers?

Its going to have to be a very sensible and non offensive to everyone. Perhaps name the team after a shrubbery or an animal. Preferably a small non-aggressive animal. Maybe the "lemmings" or something similar.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Redtails makes sense for various reasons, that said, I've never in my entire life have thought of anything but an NFL football team when hearing the word Redskin.

I understand the history of it, and how it may make some people feel, but at the same time, I think context and intent are more important. Something that is completely lost on today's society.

I can guarantee that if they used the Redtails, someone would be offended because it was a segregated unit and made to serve the white man and come home to a country that didn't want them to be free. Someone everywhere is offended by everything regardless of content or intent and that is more dangerous than anything else we have going in this country right now IMO.

Reaction score
How about the Washington guys. No I guess that’s be offensive to people having sex changes.

How about the Washington WhiteSkins? Nope. that wouldn't be similarly racist enough against whites.. or that would be ok if it was.

How about the Washington Christians. Nope they tortured, imprisoned and fed Christians to the Lions, so that would imply we want to eliminate Christians.

How about the Washington Idiots. Named After the Federal government.

How about we just leave it alone and everybody quit reaching for things to be offended by. We have way too much time on our hands. How about we spend just half the amount of effort we waste on the frivolous towards doing something positive with our lives for a change. That’d be a novel thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think @AmishMafia brings up a good point about context and intent in the name. And I too am part Native American (Choctaw) on my mother's side which is very "Red" in their skin color but I'm not sure if any of them would consider it offensive.

@OldSchool101 brings up a legitimate point that people can typically find offense in a lot of things but if Snyder rides the political wave and takes a populist approach, I don't think he can lose in the court of public opinion.

For me personally, I could live with or without a name change. I knew "Redskins" meant Native Americans, but I had never associated it with a derogatory term until much later in adulthood. But as the saying goes, "When you know better, you do better." So I fully, understand and support the change. I just hope whatever is chosen is something that the fans can get behind and not just what Snyder wants. The public/fans are fueling the change so a good portion of input should come from them.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think @AmishMafia brings up a good point about context and intent in the name. And I too am part Native American (Choctaw) on my mother's side which is very "Red" in their skin color but I'm not sure if any of them would consider it offensive.

@OldSchool101 brings up a legitimate point that people can typically find offense in a lot of things but if Snyder rides the political wave and takes a populist approach, I don't think he can lose in the court of public opinion.

For me personally, I could live with or without a name change. I knew "Redskins" meant Native Americans, but I had never associated it with a derogatory term until much later in adulthood. But as the saying goes, "When you know better, you do better." So I fully, understand and support the change. I just hope whatever is chosen is something that the fans can get behind and not just what Snyder wants. The public/fans are fueling the change so a good portion of input should come from them.
It never bothered me and I actually appreciated it.

Think about it. Would you name your team after something you respected and held in esteem or something you despised? The image of the aboriginal man on the helmet is very noble.

I would keep the logo but change the team name to "originals" (as in original Americans), "Natives" although it should be aboriginals (but it doesnt flow), or pick a local tribe that has a good sounding name. Snyder should then use the forum to help native peoples in some manner. Improve some schools, grants, scholarships, museum, whatever as good will gestures. Only has to be a small % of his income. It will just help the optics.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with using any of it, some have a problem. No matter what. I’ve heard it argued that it creates a stereotypical image of natives and that’s not who they are or what they were.

having “Osceola” ride out and throw down a spear gives the impression they were savages and only cared about warring. I’ve heard it all. I dint agree with most of it, as the intent etc is different but some will always interpret it a certain way no matter what.

And if it has anything to do with a minority these days the only acceptable response is to shut up and agree anymore. I think it’s crazy, and dangerous.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The Onion claims that Snyder being Snyder, will change the name from the Washington Redskins to the D.C. Redskins and mainatain that "change is good".

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
In an otherwise "slow news period" for the NFL, the Redskins have come into focus with the wave of social justice reform sweeping the nation. I remember when President Obama appealed for the name change years ago but it mostly fell on deaf ears. I remembered I was reluctantly in favor back then, but I'm in full support now. While there's no certainty which way Owner Dan Snyder will go (and that's the real circus), I did find one of the popular fan submissions quite appealing:

How do you guys feel about it? Being an African-American myself, having several pilots in the family, and with Tuskegee being not too far away from my home, I daresay I might make a proposed Washington Redtails my 3rd favorite team after the Packers and Jaguars.
Clever name, my grandfather was a mechanic in the 339th

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey Rich, I LOVE your idea!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care if they change it or not, I have no attachment to the name. If it offends people, why not change it? I don't know why a business would want to offend people.

Supposedly the term "redskin" doesn't refer to skin color exactly, at least not originally. Supposedly it comes from the Beothuk tribe painting their skin with red ochre. So the red would be the color of the paint they wore.

I can guarantee that if they used the Redtails, someone would be offended because it was a segregated unit and made to serve the white man and come home to a country that didn't want them to be free.
I agree with this. 20 years from now they'd be having to change the name again, or more likely sooner. More people might object to Redtails than Redskins.

thecocoa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't care, either way. However, the reason I'm responding to this thread is because I am blown away by the level of discourse and civility (from all responses) in this exchange. I'm absolutely finished with the majority of popular social media channels. I'm astounded, surprised, and pleased that I can find a discussion of a relevant current affairs topic - free from vulgarities, name-calling and hyper-politicization - in (of all things) a sports forum. I need more of this, and, thank you.

I fear that day when our decisions are predicated in the elimination of all offensiveness. My belief is that this leads to inaction, not action. I like the 'do no harm' credo. I like to visit 'original intent' as well.

I'll go back in my corner now and do what I do best...lurk and enjoy this forum.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly don't care, either way. However, the reason I'm responding to this thread is because I am blown away by the level of discourse and civility (from all responses) in this exchange. I'm absolutely finished with the majority of popular social media channels. I'm astounded, surprised, and pleased that I can find a discussion of a relevant current affairs topic - free from vulgarities, name-calling and hyper-politicization - in (of all things) a sports forum. I need more of this, and, thank you.
Wait 'til the Vikings and '9er fans show up if we ever have a season again. Bears have been Favre & Rodgers *****es for so long their fans don't even bother.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington Post said:
Two people with knowledge of the team’s plans said Sunday that the preferred replacement name is tied up in a trademark fight, which is why the team can’t announce the new name Monday.

Sports Business Journal was first to report Sunday night that the announcement of the existing name’s retirement would come Monday morning.

In the July 4 interview, Rivera said he and Snyder had come up with two names that Rivera really liked. He did not reveal the names but said he wanted to confer with Native American and military organizations to make sure that the new name properly honored both.

Could it be Redtails then? I know there are some Native American ties to the name as well. "Military Organizations" certainly suggests Tuskegee Airmen Incorporated and other affiliated groups.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Jesus, I got roasted on another site for innocently asking a question about this issue today. I didn`t realise it was such a inflammatory subject. I should point out I commented on the logo, and not the name.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read on ESPN today the Washington logo was designed by a Native American, I never knew that.
I could see how some might say the name is racist, but I'm not sure why people would find the logo offensive. Unless they just object to ethnic groups being used as sports nicknames in the first place.
How about Washington Celtics?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Redtails could work if they use the Redtail hawk as a logo. Then they can keep their colors. They would then join Seattle and Philly with a bird of prey as a logo and no ethnic group will be offended.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Redtails could work if they use the Redtail hawk as a logo. Then they can keep their colors. They would then join Seattle and Philly with a bird of prey as a logo and no ethnic group will be offended.
I will be offended. I hate all the bird teams.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about the atheists? Cannot have a bird of pray. To pray is an act of worship towards a deity.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That means no more Seattle Seahawk
No more Arizona Cardinal
No more Toronto Blue jays
No more Chicago Blackhawks
No more Baltimore Orioles
and so on...
I don't think Blackhawk is a bird. But as for getting rid of the rest, I'm okay with it so far. :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Could it be Redtails then? I know there are some Native American ties to the name as well. "Military Organizations" certainly suggests Tuskegee Airmen Incorporated and other affiliated groups.
There's a guy who trademarked 44 potential names a few years ago

He had the balls to do this so he could make them pay

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts