Walker and other topic article

stump5454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need Walker

Javon Walker By Doug Ritchay , [email protected]
Date: Jun 25, 2005

The biggest story this off-season for the Green Bay Packers has been the absence of Pro Bowl wide receiver Javon Walker from the team's first two minicamps.

That is just the tip of the iceberg, though, because when training camp opens later this summer most expect Walker to be a holdout for who knows how long. Walker attained the services of agent Drew Rosenhaus this off-season, and any team who has a player with Rosenhaus as an agent moans and groans just like we do when we eat too much pizza.
We don't know how much camp Walker could miss. A day, a week, a month, the start of the season? Rosenhaus believes Walker has earned the right to a new deal after exploding on the NFL scene last year, catching 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. Rosenhaus has a point

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish Walker would just come to his senses, come to camp, have a great year, and then the Pack works something out with him. Then we would not have to be reading and hearing about it everyday. :-?

Moss and Culpepper's comments were interesting. If Culpepper had to throw to the Raider recievers(before Moss) how well might he have done? I don't think Collins is as good, but he may not be very much behind.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said this before about Walker. He is a receiver on the rise. His potential is yet to be determined, but his output last year indicates that the kid could become a great player. The problem is that his recent episode with holding out with two years left on his contract also offers a certain degree of distrust as to whether he will again want to redo his contract in another year. You sign him to a new contract now and then he reaches that potential, he's not going to be someone's deal, he's going to demand even more. In other words, he's never going to be satisfied. Unfortunately his true color have shown through bright and bold. I hate to say it but it appears to be the truth.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I've said all along to let Walker sit, both years if neccessary.

It will also be interesting to see what Moss meant to the Queens.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss was an incredible receiver when he wanted to be. He was also an equally incredible distraction to his team. I believe sincerely that the Vikqueens will be better without him.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Moss was an incredible receiver when he wanted to be. He was also an equally incredible distraction to his team. I believe sincerely that the Vikqueens will be better without him.
Most teams do end up better after getting rid of their superstar. I've seen plenty of times when a team trades away its one superstar for a couple of decent players it often does better because its not built around one guy anymore.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Walker is a special player or at least he can be with another solid yr or two.
I think he is more a product of the system than anything.
Fergie will be less of an injury risk if he stays off the special teams and with all the new young kids with speed being signed I don't see why they would want to put him back there again. Also keep in mind finally got his eyesight corrected which is a whole nuther issue. :roll:
If both he AND Bubba are holdouts then GB has a real problem. If Bubba signs and Walker sits then they will just go the the RB's out of the backfield and Bubba down the middle more. I don't think they will miss Walker as much as he will miss them (his pay check).

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Walker comes back I hope he come back fairly early in camp so he is in good FB shape when the season starts. It seems so many that come in after the season starts end up getting injured.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll be there in camp plenty early. He's aware that if he does want a big payday, holding out and risking injury only sets back the $$$ contract. He doesn't have any leverage in this and I think he'll be in camp IMHO.

Look for #84 to have a big year and get the extension he's looking for. He doesn't yet seem bitter toward GB or vice-versa as was the case with McKenzie.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't Doug Ritchay the guy who used to write the "Ask the Expert" column for the Green Bay News Chronicle? I liked that column when he did it.

Anyway, there's no denying that Walker's holdout could have a big impact on the team's fortunes this season. Too bad. I just don't see any way to redo his contract now without setting the stage for more holdouts by other players down the road.

As for Moss's comment, it's far-fetched, but it makes sense if you think of Collins and Culpepper just in terms of pure passing ability. Collins throws the ball about as well as Culpepper. The difference is that Culpepper is extremely tough and mobile, while Collins is a brittle statue.

Members online

Latest posts