Vikings DE Griffin un Big Trouble

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scary stuff. Hope he gets the help he needs. So many different possibilities of what is going on here so no need to speculate.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ings-ordered-undergo-mental-health-evaluation

This season has the feeling of Favre's second season in Minnesota. Crazy high expectations and then a bunch of crazy events and a poor finish. They have had a coach pass away, a player is in the hospital...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He took his shirt off and was jumping in bushes while paranoid. Not to make light of this, but hasn't this been blamed on synthetic weed when it's happened to other players?

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
signs and symtoms of schizophrenia....i have family member with it... worst disease in the world. he could go on meds...but meds will destroy an athletic body.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good from the few details. I hope he's really getting help and not lip service.

Reaction score
There’s also a significant chance that the cocktail of drugs/alcohol he was taking caused the heightened paranoia.
I’m not sure what’s worse being schizophrenic or having a drug problem but he definitely has one or the other. This doesn’t sound rational, even the story jumps around in chaotic fashion.

He needs to get evaluated and get some help

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would not doubt drugs and alcohol combo at all. It's probably the most likely scenario and those drugs are probably prescription related too.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow... "Demons in his head"; "God made me do it..."? Whatever is going on here is going to take more than a minute or two to sort itself out. This is extremely serious.

I wish him the best, but right now he and the people who care about him need to just forget about football, focus on saving his sanity, and then see whether anything involving football may possibly be part of the conversation somewhere down the road.... way down the road. Best of luck, kid.... hope it all comes out OK at some point.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For his sake, I hope that he has the right people around him. Without knowing the details, I don't want to cast big stones but I do question why the Vikings locked him out of the facility. It sounds like what Everson needs right now is someone guiding him to help, not locking the door and telling him to deal with it on his own.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For his sake, I hope that he has the right people around him. Without knowing the details, I don't want to cast big stones but I do question why the Vikings locked him out of the facility. It sounds like what Everson needs right now is someone guiding him to help, not locking the door and telling him to deal with it on his own.

Yeah there are definitely questions. Maybe they felt locking him out would be the wake up call he needed? I also wonder why it took them so long to decisively act if they had seen it for a few weeks. But there are so many variables at play it is hard to know the right steps

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
signs and symtoms of schizophrenia....i have family member with it... worst disease in the world. he could go on meds...but meds will destroy an athletic body.
I disagree. Alzheimer's is the worst disease in the world. Schizophrenia can be managed to a great degree and can go into remission. Alzheimer's can't.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. Alzheimer's is the worst disease in the world. Schizophrenia can be managed to a great degree and can go into remission. Alzheimer's can't.

Amen to that. Alzheimer's is a cruel and vicious disease that Rob's a person of their memories and life while torturing their loved ones. I've seen it at work in the lives of two friends, and if it were a person, it would be the cruelest and most sadistic being to have ever lived.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it better to lose an foot or a hand? Probably depends whether you play guitar or soccer. As for me, both sound like ****** options

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen to that. Alzheimer's is a cruel and vicious disease that Rob's a person of their memories and life while torturing their loved ones. I've seen it at work in the lives of two friends, and if it were a person, it would be the cruelest and most sadistic being to have ever lived.
I'm a nurse and I worked in assisted living for a while. You lose your memories. You lose your ability to think. You lose your bowels and your bladder. You lose the ability to follow even simple directions. You lose the ability to feed yourself, or change your own clothes. You essentially gradually revert to being much like an infant and if something else doesn't kill you first, eventually your brain even forgets how to breath. Horrible, horrible disease.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another sad footnote to this episode; they just released video of him after he jumped out of the ambulance the day he had his incident. Looks the cops did a terrific job talking him down and defusing the situation.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-everson-griffen-after-jumping-from-ambulance

TMZ Sports released video footage Friday of Minnesota Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen speaking with police after he jumped out of an ambulance on the way to a hospital for a mental health evaluation.

As seen in the following video, Griffen got back in the ambulance once police arrived on the scene:

This cat is way overdue for a break at this point, and I hope he gets it soon. I just can't help wondering if he's getting the right kind of advice from the people he's close to. I hate to sound cynical, but we've all seen from time to time situations where young, star athletes with emotional or psychological difficulties get guidance from people who may not necessarily have the athlete's best interests at heart - friends who want to protect their seat on the gravy train, family members who see the athlete as a retirement fund, etc. I'm not saying there's any reason to think that's what's happening here, but we've seen it happen in the past, and how this poor dude comes of this may largely depend on whether he has the right people around him telling him the right things.

Ya know, I almost hate to bring this up.... and I'm not saying it out of disrespect for Griffen or any other individual who's suffering with personal issues... but has anyone else noticed how often things of this general nature seem to happen to Vikings, as opposed to most other teams (especially the Packers)? OK, yeah, we had Closet Crapping Man (whatever the heck his name was), but has there ever been another team in the history of the NFL that has had more players with... mmm.... atypical personality issues than the Minnesotas? Dimitrious Underwood, Percy Harvin, Herschel Walker and his multiple personality disorder, Keith "My Arms Are Stronger Than Your Guns" Millard, the never-ending parade of DWI guys.... I dunno, it just seems sometimes as though we Packer fans have been lucky - as though we've been kind of living in an insulated world.

I don't want to kick Griffen when he's down, or even kick the Vikings when they're down - my number one concern is that the guy pulls it together and turns things around - but am I outta line remarking on why this sort of thing always seems to happen on that side of the St. Croix? Is there something about the psychological screening process that weeds these players out before they get to Green Bay, and that the Vikings do differently than we do? It can't be just blind luck, can it? I'm genuinely curious about this, and having spent most of my adult life living in Minnesota and hearing the constant litany of KFAN stories on weird behavior by the Purples, I'm just baffled by it. How does this seem to keep happening?

Last edited:

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davenport! That was it! "Never Mind What I'm Doing In Your Closet, You'll Know Soon Enough" Davenport.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Davenport did his thing in college.
Packers go more towards the sex crimes. Sharper, Cade, Lofton ring a bell? Can't say ALL of Hornung's "conquests" were above reproach. The old "liquor is quicker" era. Just a time when the female was blamed for drinking and being out with guys if she was assisted out of her *******.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darren “nobody is rapier” was after GB too. I remember Cade and Lofton. But I was younger so those details weren’t something I paid attention too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts