Vikes trade pick for Jet's LB Cowart

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_OBJE ... 31805.html

VIKINGS TRADE FOR LB COWART

March 18, 2005

The Vikings have agreed to send their own 7th-round pick in the 2005 Draft to the NY Jets for LB Sam Cowart, an 8th-year player who spent 1998-2001 with Buffalo before signing in New York as a free agent in 2002. "The high 7th-round pick we obtained from Oakland in the Randy Moss trade allowed us the flexibility to acquire another starting linebacker and still move up in the round," said Vikings Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski.

Cowart was originally a 2nd-round pick by Buffalo in 1998 when he earned consensus All-Rookie honors. The 1999 Bills ranked #1 in the NFL in defense, led by Cowart's 186 tackles. In his 3rd NFL season Cowart earned a Pro Bowl berth and 2nd-Team Associated Press All-Pro honors after posting 181 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries and 2 interceptions. The veteran LB will be reunited with Minnesota defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, his former coach from the Bills and Jets, along with former teammates Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Keith Newman and Ken Irvin from Buffalo.

"Adding Sam Cowart gives us a strong veteran presence and leadership in the middle of our defense," said Head Coach Mike Tice. "Sam has played at an elite level throughout his career and we are expecting him to add that type of performance to our defense."

Cowart notched 100+ tackles in 5 of his 7 NFL seasons and has averaged 9.5 tackles per game over his career. A veteran with strong leadership ability, Cowart has started 73 of his 85 career games played and has opened 4 of his 5 career playoff games.

The Vikings have added 5 veteran defensive starters, LB Sam Cowart, LB Napoleon Harris, FS Darren Sharper, CB Fred Smoot and DT Pat Williams, in the past 3 weeks that bring a combined 339 NFL starts, 57 interceptions, 32 sacks and have played in 3 Pro Bowls.

COWART'S NFL TOTALS
GAMES/STARTS (regular season, playoffs) 1998 (16/11, 1/1-Buff.), 1999 (16/16, 1/1-Buff.), 2000 (12/12-Buff.), 2001 (1/1-Buff.) 2002 (16/16, 2/2-NYJ), 2003 (15/15-NYJ), 2004 (9/2, 1/0-NYJ). Totals - 85/73, 5/4.

These guys are shoring up bigtime..Cowart is another smart acquisition for minnesota. Whats their cap at? does this credit card ever decline? at least they won't be picking up Mike Williams anymore...i watched that dude chew up secondaries at USC.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - The New York Jets traded middle linebacker Sam Cowart to the Minnesota Vikings on Friday for a seventh-round pick in this year's draft.

Cowart saw his playing time diminish in 2004 after a knee injury knocked him out for an extended period and rookie Jonathan Vilma emerged as a standout player. After the season, Cowart asked for a trade when it became clear he wouldn't have much of a role with the Jets.

The move to Minnesota reunites him with defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, who coached him in Buffalo and New York, along with former Bills teammates Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Keith Newman and Ken Irvin.

"Adding Sam Cowart gives us a strong veteran presence and leadership in the middle of our defense," said Vikings coach Mike Tice said. "Sam has played at an elite level throughout his career and we are expecting him to add that type of performance to our defense."

Cowart, entering his eighth season in the NFL, was a second-round pick of Buffalo in 1998 and emerged as a star, notching over 100 tackles in five of his first seven NFL seasons. But he hasn't been the same since an Achilles' tendon injury in 2001.

He played outside linebacker for two years with the Jets before moving back to the middle last season, where he is most comfortable. Cowart was playing well until he sprained his knee in Week 2 against San Diego and missed the next six games. He was hardly used when he got healthy.

The Vikings have been busy upgrading their defense in the offseason, signing linebacker Napoleon Harris, safety Darren Sharper, cornerback Fred Smoot and Williams in the last three weeks. Including Cowart, the five players bring a combined 339 NFL starts, 57 interceptions, 32 sacks and have played in three Pro Bowls.

vikes93animal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VIKINGS DEFENSE
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What is that I see in my rear view mirror?

Oh yea,
its the rest of the division!!! BeepBeep!!!!! vrrrroooooom!
WOW!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You know I'd love to shut you up!! But .... I CAN NOT DO IT!!

Argh, 'nibbles fingers' LoL

This will be a interesting season :)

vikes93animal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LMAO
at the both of you!!!
Slick now you know how I have been feeling ever since the hillbilly got to GB. Its our turn now for a while, it's been building. :D :D

Arrow,
I don't think when you show up in green to drive the bus they will let you. You will have to stick to mooning the bus!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OP
OP
A

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikes93animal said:
Arrow,
I don't think when you show up in green to drive the bus they will let you. You will have to stick to mooning the bus!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

heh...i would don a Vikings jersey, but it would burst into flames on contact. and if they can see my moon from California, then i need to get my pale *** to a beach! on the double!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm just glad we have a decent Vikings fan in here who can take little jabs an give'em back without getting any ******* in a bunch :)

tarkenton10

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, How do you know we wear *******? Have you been peeking in the men's locker room again? :lol:

Members online

Latest posts